Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Closed Contests Completed/Closed/Finished/Game Over/Archive of Expired Contests
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Contests > Closed Contests

Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Kugyince

Challenge Cup - Mac Attack

This is a pay to play contest. You will need to fork over 5,000 points to participate. Don't have 5k? Then you'd better beg, borrow, and steal to get them if you want in.

This contest will revolve around Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!. Here's what will be going on. Every three to five days when I get up the initiative I'm going to make a few gos at a boxer. Afterwards I will submit my shortest time for KO/TKO. Once submitted, all participants will have 36 hours to submit a gif movie of them tying or beating my time. If you do not succeed, you'll be disqualified from the contest. At the end of the contest, everyman left standing will be awarded a badge.

When will the contest end? When one of these three things have been met: there's only one or fewer participants left, one month has passed, or I get bored with it.

So are you the perfect, poetic pugilist performer? Lets find out. Sign up here!

Participants thus far:
Tenser
Hobbes
TrakMastaTom
jeckel22
wanman
sabby
Kong
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Regular Poster
470 posts
Hobbes is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 10
Points: 1,170, Level: 10 Points: 1,170, Level: 10 Points: 1,170, Level: 10
Level up: 35%
Level up: 35%, 130 Points needed Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Send a message via MSN to Hobbes

Hobbes

I will entertain any young up and commers who are in need of cash, though you must refer to me as your "Sugar Daddy"

and I am N
Old 04-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 369 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom

TrakMastaTom

Ooh. I don't even have 5K. The price is a little steep if you ask me.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
Regular Poster
466 posts
jeckel22 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,241, Level: 13 Points: 2,241, Level: 13 Points: 2,241, Level: 13
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 209 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

jeckel22

I agree with TMT. Maybe about 3 or so. I am in at 5 either way. Do I donate them or do you take them?

TMT: I can donate enough to get you over 5 if you want to play.

EDIT: Never mind TMT. I already gave it to you (even if you don't play).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
I'd be crabby too if you made me eat crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post

How much is that other government crap?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63

Kugyince

Yep, the price is steep, but, what else are you going to do with the points? They're just sitting there after all.

Since this Challenge Cup is for a popular game and can award out multiple badges I think 5k was just about right.

All CC's will have an entrance fee of 1 to 5 thousand points from now on so you'd best go win some of the lesser contests for points if you want in.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
Regular Poster
474 posts
wanman is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,775, Level: 12 Points: 1,775, Level: 12 Points: 1,775, Level: 12
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 225 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Send a message via MSN to wanman

wanman

Well am definately in, becasue guess how many points I have? Lots (48,000 to be precise) Am just waiting for my points and my badge in the Moai-Kun Contest.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Donor
2,680 posts
sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 24,248, Level: 38 Points: 24,248, Level: 38 Points: 24,248, Level: 38
Level up: 83%
Level up: 83%, 402 Points needed Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

sabby

:@:Tenser - This is kind of disallowing new members to participate. Shouldn't we be a little more accommodating to them. Also, it's not fair to you, you have no possible way to obtain the badge, I think you should be able to get one, too.

5 G's a little steep, but I'm in.
The List of 111 games I've beaten on RU.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
Regular Poster
466 posts
jeckel22 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,241, Level: 13 Points: 2,241, Level: 13 Points: 2,241, Level: 13
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 209 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

jeckel22

I remember a forum quite a while ago talking about how badges should be earned and not handed out. It was actually talking about getting team badges. I think it is a good idea to pay to get into the contests. You could always ask others to donate some points to you. This contest is going to wipe me out, but I could always ask wanman for some later if there is another contest I wanted to enter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
I'd be crabby too if you made me eat crap.
Quote:

How much is that other government crap?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats

TrakMastaTom

I suppose I am in. I am not great at Punch Out, but I bet I can beat the time if I give it a few shots.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the points, Jeckel.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Kong

I think paying points to enter contests is good but 5K might be a bit steep. Looking at just this page - only Tenser, Hobbes and Wanman can afford to enter & lose more than once. But if The Bank of Wanman is generous then I guess everyone can just take out loans. I just gave him 40K for the last contest.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #11
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

I plan on having them from 1k to 5k tops. You'd be surprised how quickly you can rack up points with the contests.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:57 AM   #12
Regular Poster
474 posts
View Stats

wanman

Ah yes, the wanman has all the points.

:@: Kong : You actually gave 30k to me

:@: Evevyone : Yes, i can give out loans but there might be some sort of deal. Depends on the challenge.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

Hmm... a lot of good players. I'll either have to make the times really tough, shorten the movie due dates, or start eliminating people by the longest time first.

Suggestions boys?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #14
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65

Kong

Instead of having it "Beat Tenser's Time" change it to "Lowest time or lowest score is eliminated each round". This way it is open to Tenser and every round someone is guaranteed to be booted.

I think the first round should be 7 days and each round after should be 3 days. If you do not think you will have time to submit a score in the next round then you can submit two separate scores in the current round one of which would be used for the next round.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #15
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
View Stats

TrakMastaTom

Quote:
Instead of having it "Beat Tenser's Time" change it to "Lowest time or lowest score is eliminated each round". This way it is open to Tenser and every round someone is guaranteed to be booted.

I think the first round should be 7 days and each round after should be 3 days. If you do not think you will have time to submit a score in the next round then you can submit two separate scores in the current round one of which would be used for the next round.
I agree with all of that except submitting two scores in the current round, because isn't each round going to be a different boxer?

Anyways, I think if you can't get on and play a round at least once every three days, don't sign up.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Old 04-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Donor
2,680 posts
sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

sabby

Is this going to be a winner take all competition or the top three get a badge. Like a lot of the challenge cups, it was who ever could get the challenge done.

Also, it depends on how long you want to have the contest run for turn in times.

The "Survivor" method of elimination sounds good though.

What happens if there is a tie for the elimination score. All gone or back to the previous score?

Just some things to think about
Old 04-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

Quote:

I'm not worried about being able to participate. It comes with the Contest Mod territory. I don't think I participated in a single contest on onVGP.

I don't think there's a good enough reason to extend the first round. Three days each round should suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom View Post
I agree with all of that except submitting two scores in the current round, because isn't each round going to be a different boxer?
Yes, but we'll be going in order, skipping Glass Joe. So you can submit something earlier if you wish, the penalty being you wont have as much time as others to get a low time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby View Post
Is this going to be a winner take all competition or the top three get a badge. Like a lot of the challenge cups, it was who ever could get the challenge done.
Depends on how many people sign up. Four to seven people; top place gets a badge only. Eight to eleven people; top two slots get a badge with the first place badge being slightly better. I don't think we'll have twelve or more players but if so we can go with three badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby View Post
What happens if there is a tie for the elimination score. All gone or back to the previous score?
Ties for elimination will be held in this order:
  1. The decision will be decided on the highest score that round.
  2. Then the decision will be decided on last round's time.
  3. Repeat process one and two until the tie is broken.
Seem fair enough?

Old 04-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
View Stats

Kong

Each boxer has a strategy that yields a best possible time - there might be a lot of ties. Maybe using points would be better.

This might be one of the few chances you get to join in. You ought as well take it.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

I believe it'll be less of a problem then you think, especially as the contest runs on into the harder boxers.

On a side note, one more entrant and we can have two badges.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:54 AM   #20
Regular Poster
474 posts
View Stats

wanman

Does this contest start on Monday?
Coz if it does and we only get 3 days...
Then i won't get a score submitted.
Because maybe on only this Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I won't be on.
I can get my score in on Thursday i think.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #21
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

:@: wan: Well that means you've only got the rest of today to PM me a movie of your fastest Von Kaiser time. Because of the day ahead advantage, if you do happen to get on later this round I wont allow you to submit another score to be fair to the others.

:@: All: I expect your 5,000 points before you submit your first entry. Since we're all bound by honor here I expect none of you to play this game until tomorrow to keep it fair, excluding wanman. All submissions must be PM'd to me, after the time is up I'll post all of the submissions at the same time here.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:40 AM   #22
Regular Poster
474 posts
View Stats

wanman

Wait, Seems that i can go on mornings...
I think'll play the game tommorow morning.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #23
Donor
288 posts
BRODYMAN is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 5,091, Level: 20 Points: 5,091, Level: 20 Points: 5,091, Level: 20
Level up: 41%
Level up: 41%, 659 Points needed Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

BRODYMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
On a side note, one more entrant and we can have two badges.

If it's for the greater good, I'll throw my hat in the ring...provided I get a backer. Are there any points awarded to the winner(s), or is this solely badges and bragging rights?

when does thus hullabaloo start?
Kart: 2449-5237-1294
Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
Donor
2,680 posts
View Stats

sabby

So do we have to wait to PM a score to you or do we do it now?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #25
Regular Poster
470 posts
Hobbes is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 10
Points: 1,170, Level: 10 Points: 1,170, Level: 10 Points: 1,170, Level: 10
Level up: 35%
Level up: 35%, 130 Points needed Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Send a message via MSN to Hobbes