Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

View Poll Results: Who is most over-rated?
The Rolling Stones 9 40.91%
The beatles 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 19,296 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Slime Slayer

Who is the most over-rated band of all time?

I never thought either of these 2 bands were deserving of the attention they got, and still get today.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

RU Joe

Re: Who is the most over-rated band of all time?

I vote for both of those and raise you a KISS and an AC/DC.

Never liked either of those myself although I'm probably setting myself up for a severe beating.

While I'm at it I may as well trash Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, and yes, even Van Halen as bands I felt were overrated - but in the case of Van Halen it was because of David Lee Roth.

Of all these I feel KISS to be the most over - rated : their songs are boring and repetitive, and lack musical finesse - all of this being just my opinion.

I'll probably come up with a few more later on.

Comments

ac/dc are belters!!!

Last edited by RU Joe; 02-05-2014 at 01:18 AM..
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

samejamesbond

+1 (+1/-0)     

U2 is more overrated than those two combined in my opinion.

The Beatles did have some amazing material on their later albums and the
Stone made Exile on Main Street which is one of the greatest roots albums
I have ever heard.

I never heard anything by U2 that impressed me. It just sounded really
safe with delayed guitar and Bono's monotone.

Comments

Strongly Agree!

Remove Pootis
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Slime Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond View Post
U2 is more overrated than those two combined in my opinion.

The Beatles did have some amazing material on their later albums and the
Stone made Exile on Main Street which is one of the greatest roots albums
I have ever heard.

I never heard anything by U2 that impressed me. It just sounded really
safe with delayed guitar and Bono's monotone.
Are you nuts? This songs first 5 seconds trump ANYTHING by the Beatles or the Stones.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6NAKgv4ALg"]U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love) - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: It's about Jesus, In case anyone was curious, and no that's not why I like it. I firmly believe that creationists and atheists are equally retarded.

Last edited by Slime Slayer; 02-05-2014 at 01:40 AM..
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

samejamesbond

It just starts with the basic chords over and over again. The song builds
up to a middle piece with very light "uph" that it could have needed.

A song I absolutely love by the Stone is their song Let it Loose. It too
uses a simple introduction that ultimately builds up. But, in the Stones
case, a clever use of blues piano and gospel singers into an extended
bridge gives it a kick.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntip526E4HY]The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street - Let It Loose - YouTube[/ame]

But I get where you're coming from on the overrated material, their early
stuff wasn't nearly as interesting or diverse. Plain old rock n roll is
good, but they didn't have the grit that acts like Elvis or Chuck Berry
had and it sounded a tad stale.

Remove Pootis
Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

Hell, Fleetwood Mac have better songs than them.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4]Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way (HQ) - YouTube[/ame]
kong on Bronies:

Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
View Stats

samejamesbond

I also don't like Fleetwood Mac all that much. Much like my problems with
U2 though, I always find that the songs never do enough to hold my
interest and Stevie Nicks can be flat when she should put more emotion
into her songs.

Like listen to Meat Loaf, the guy can sell a song with incredible emotion
about how boring and average things are in his life:
( Click to show/hide )
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAsM6KP3kis]Meatloaf - Two Out Of Three Ain't bad Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

Or with powerful instrumentation like I Can't Quit Her by Blood, Sweat, and Tears:
( Click to show/hide )
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqycvOTtnFU]Blood Sweat & Tears - I Can't Quit Her - YouTube[/ame]

Remove Pootis
Old 02-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Regular Poster
2,122 posts
TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 24
Points: 8,725, Level: 24 Points: 8,725, Level: 24 Points: 8,725, Level: 24
Level up: 85%
Level up: 85%, 125 Points needed Level up: 85% Level up: 85%

TodayIsForgotten

Definitely the Beatles.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Regular Poster
234 posts
Ballas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brains
View Stats
Level: 26
Points: 10,151, Level: 26 Points: 10,151, Level: 26 Points: 10,151, Level: 26
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 499 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Send a message via Skype™ to Ballas

Ballas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Joe View Post
Guns N' Roses, Nirvana
Wheres the beating button?
Koos van Dyk (KVD)
aka Ballas

When someone says "STOP"
I never know if its IN THE NAME OF LOVE,
HAMMERTIME, or if I am supposed to
COLLABERATE AND LISTEN...
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #10
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

Kiss blows. One of the worst bands ever.

I voted for the Beatles because they are held up as some rock gods and really they're just a boy band, at least at first. I can only listen to a few of their songs and even then I'd rather be listening to someone else, like bob dylan or johnny cash, covering it.

U2 is also pretty overrated. They have some decent songs but they're another band that is put on a pedestal they don't deserve.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
Regular Poster
190 posts
George Riley play's well with othersGeorge Riley play's well with othersGeorge Riley play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 9
Points: 906, Level: 9 Points: 906, Level: 9 Points: 906, Level: 9
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 194 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

George Riley

The Rolling Stones by far. Stage performance I'll give them the edge, but overall musical quality it was much more pizzazz than anything else.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Regular Poster
77 posts
TwinChargers is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 3
Points: 212, Level: 3 Points: 212, Level: 3 Points: 212, Level: 3
Level up: 12%
Level up: 12%, 88 Points needed Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

TwinChargers

While I think they are both fine bands, I'll give the edge to the Beatles as being more overrated since John died and a bands greatness always rises when a vital member dies.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Kat with the hat
Game Mod
1,139 posts
KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 11,211, Level: 27 Points: 11,211, Level: 27 Points: 11,211, Level: 27
Level up: 63%
Level up: 63%, 339 Points needed Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

KATZ

honestly ill just go with C: nirvana, yeah they werent bad, but EVERY one just LOVES them....
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Can't stand the Stones.

I do enjoy U2, especially the earlier stuff and I like a lot of the later stuff done by the Beatles.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #15
Donor
987 posts
D.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,260, Level: 38 Points: 23,260, Level: 38 Points: 23,260, Level: 38
Level up: 40%
Level up: 40%, 1,390 Points needed Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

D.B. Cooper

My vote would be for U2 if the option was given. Drives me nuts that people actually think they are good. I put them in the same category as Bruce Springstein in that everyone seems to think they are great live just because they look like they're trying hard. Is there a more boring guitarist than The Edge?

I voted for the Beetles because most of their stuff is cheesy pop music and I still credit them as the original boy band. The Stones at least know how to jam and play a lot of blues and well, I like the blues. But I much prefer to listen to the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #16
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

I voted for the Rolling Stones, I don't find any of their "hits" are really great songs, just song after song of passable songwriting. They annoy me.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

I like U2, and don't feel they are over rated, the general public doesn't hold them in nearly the high regard that the Stones and Beatles are in.
kong on Bronies:

Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
Extra Chrispy
6,706 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 1,152 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

CrispyChicken

KISS is more overrated than the both of them, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd say Rolling Stones. I'm a fan of the Beatles music, though they may be overrated I like them a lot more than the Rolling Stones.

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Donor
987 posts
D.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,260, Level: 38 Points: 23,260, Level: 38 Points: 23,260, Level: 38
Level up: 40%
Level up: 40%, 1,390 Points needed Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
I like U2, and don't feel they are over rated, the general public doesn't hold them in nearly the high regard that the Stones and Beatles are in.
I don't agree. U2 is regarded as the most successful band in the last 25 years. They may not be as old as the Beatles and the Stones but they hold the same iconic status. The 60's were for the Beatles and the Stones ruled the 70's but U2 ruled the 80's and 90's and even today they are probably still the biggest selling band in the world.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Here's an interesting link to the highest grossing concert tours of all time. U2's 360 tour leads the list but the Stones are right behind.

List of highest-grossing concert tours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

U2 ranks 18th in the list of biggest selling artists of all time.

List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abbreviated list:
1. Beatles
2. Elvis
3. Michael Jackson
4. Madonna
5. Elton John
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Pink Floyd
8. Mariah Carey
9. Celine Dion
10. Whitney Houston
11. AC/DC
12. Queen
13. Rolling Stones
14. ABBA
15. Garth Brooks
16. Eagles
17. Rihanna
18. U2
19. Billy Joel
20. Phil Collins

I'd like to make some enemies and claim that Led Zeppelin be included in most overrated bands.

Side notes:
21. Aerosmith
24. Genesis
27. Bruce Springsteen
31. Metallica
33. Eminem
37. Fleetwood Mac
39. Guns N' Roses
57. KISS
81. Nirvana

Not placed:
Creedence Clearwater Revival

Old 02-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #20
Regular Poster
373 posts
kernzy play's well with otherskernzy play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,679, Level: 12 Points: 1,679, Level: 12 Points: 1,679, Level: 12
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 321 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

kernzy

cool link.
shame the real greats get overshadowed by teeny pop music, always will be the same.
maybe it is all about value? overpriced tickets are common place.
i vote stones in this poll. always liked the beatles, never the stones. beatles were just lucky to be there at the time.
used to be a U2 fan, now not, but the old stuff is still really good stuff, everything up to the joshua tree.. and the edge is boring!
and if you doubt ac/dc as over/under rated, check Angus Young on guitar, the best metal/blues guitarist alive (or dead) in my opinion.
check this. solo begins at 1:55, then a small gap, then blues/rock heaven on guitar starts at 3:15. check those slides and wobbles, when angus was just a wee boy. totally gifted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPOc5QkJGY
if i beat your score, i'm sorry.
or am i?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

RU Joe

When it comes to musical preferences it seems that people have diverse tastes, which is good.
Studies have shown that listening to different kinds of music actually makes you smarter.

But when if comes to the 'most popular' bands I think a lot of people just go along with the crowd, and that's what accounts for {given} band's popularity.
{.. Du Jour is the best band ever!}

This, coupled with the fact that we're forced to listen to the same group of songs on public radio playlists for decades probably doesn't help.

Case in point: someone told me they didn't like the Scorpions because their only good song was 'Rock you like a hurricane' .. then I told them about 'Big city nights', 'Coast to coast', 'Bad boys running wild', 'No one like you', etc.
and that person was surprised to learn they aren't just a '1- hit wonder'.

The other thing I think worth mentioning is peoples' personal association with music; for me, AC DC brings up bad memories and may account for why I don't like them so much.
Maybe the opposite could account for the popularity of bands like U2 {another un - favorite of mine}where people associate them with good memories?

Do your guys' personal associations with music make you feel certain things about bands?
I mean, aside from typical emotional responses to certain chord progressions, that is?
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
Regular Poster
49 posts
Sid seattle is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 6
Points: 614, Level: 6 Points: 614, Level: 6 Points: 614, Level: 6
Level up: 14%, 86 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Sid seattle

i think smashing pumpkins are and were the most overrated band of all time..or maybe even Janis Joplin...just saying.I love the doors,Bauhaus,CCR,Rainbow,Bowie
Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #23
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

The only time I wanna hear AC/DC is when I'm on a ride at the carnival. Otherwise, they suck.
kong on Bronies:

Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #24
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

RU Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
The only time I wanna hear AC/DC is when I'm on a ride at the carnival. Otherwise, they suck.
Me:
Quote:
The other thing I think worth mentioning is peoples' personal association with music; for me, AC DC brings up bad memories and may account for why I don't like them so much.
I may as well just tell people:

It was when SC13 barfed on the crowd while riding the giant swings as AC DC was playing; I was in that crowd.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #25
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

Quote:
Me:

It was when SC13 barfed on the crowd while riding the giant swings as AC DC was playing; I was in that crowd.
Yup, I did another 20 revolutions before the ride finished, seeing all of your faces staring at me each time with "you shook me all night long" playing was no fun for me either.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Me:

Is there an actual story though?
kong on Bronies: