Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > Reviews

Comment

Review Tools Search this Review Display Modes
Great Sequel to A Great Wrestling Game
Published by Chuck Norris
03-02-2010
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%

Day of Reckoning 2

WWE DAY OF RECKONING 2
by Chuck Norris

Now, I'll be frank with you guys, I used to love WWE, everything about, the storylines, the divas, the Pay-Per-Views, everything...then it went downhill but today I'm gonna review a great sequel to a great WWE game.

WWE Day of Reckoning 2 takes place where the first one left off. You win the WWE championship and you're on top of the food chain. Sadly though you lose the WWE Title to Triple H...it is unclear when but you do, then you fall to [as they say in WWE] jobber status, and your [in-game] girlfriend is Stacy Keibler [If I spelled her name right] Now Triple H and Chris Jericho have a match for the WWE Title and during the bout Chris Jericho gets Triple H in a submission hold, but Jericho's shoulders are on the mat and the ref counts to three but once he gets to three, Triple H taps out. Now the question is who is the victor? The answer is: NOBODY, because of the draw the title is now vacated and up for grabs, Raw's GM Eric Bischoff [If I spelled his name right] to increase ratings decides to hold a tournament for the title, and you're a part of it. Now you advance through the tournament and defeat Chris Jericho in the semifinals and then advance to *fanfare* Wrestlemania to face Triple H for the title. Wrestlemania comes and you and Triple H are ready for your main event match for the title when; [dun dun dunn] Eric Bischoff reports that somebody stole the title, and your match at Wrestlemania is canceled. The player then goes through story mode to find out who stole the title by getting leads and competing in matches.

Now I had to pop in D.O.R 2 in my Gamecube to figure the story as, I haven't played in years.

Now D.O.R 2 is just as great as D.O.R, the controls are solid and now the game introduces a "Stamina" meter, that meter gets drained by performing actions such as; running, striking, grappling, striking with a weapon etc. You can regain stamina by just staying in one spot, but your opponent better be knocked down so you can gain stamina or else he's gonna take advantage of that. Yes did I mention, the AI is not dumb in this game! If they smell weakness, they're gonna strike. I remember one time I was playing D.O.R 2 and I was fighting "HBK" that's the Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels in story mode...and I'll tell you it was like wrestling against the real Shawn Michaels, it was challenging and frustrating but challenging!

Another new feature is the new submission system, in which you could move the C-Stick in one of four ways, the choices are; "Drain" which drains opponents stamina, "Taunt" Which drains their spirit meter, "Rest Hold" which you hold the submission and it causes damage and "Physical" which is just the way to defeat an opponent by submission granted the limb is damaged. A
lso returning is the "Momentum Shift" if you or your opponent enters "DANGER" on your spirit meter, you can perform an Momentum Shift which will cause them to do a special move [not a finisher] and you will get your opponents momentum and they'll get yours, this can only be done once per match though. Another returning feature is the "Momentum Lift" where if say a smaller wrestler tries to lift a bigger wrestler [i.e John Cena trying to lift the Big Show] a meter will pop up and you have to keep hitting A, and if you successfully do this you will receive a boost in momentum, if not then you lose some momentum.

Now the scores:

Graphics 4/5- Really great, kinda like PS2 graphics imo

Sound 5/5- Sound is amazing and so is the soundtrack, the WWE superstars have their own entrance music which is great and the game even comes with a great soundtrack, I forgot who sings what song so don't ask

Challenge 5/5- Like I said before the AI in this game is not stupid and in story mode will get progressively tougher, especially when you have to face Kurt Angle in a "Win by Submission Only" match where he is tough and he counters over half of your moves

Replay Value: Very High

Overall 5/5- Very good wrestling game, especially if you're a fan of the WWE in the early 2000s [2005 to be exact] It's fun, it's challenging, it's a great sequel to imo a great wrestling game...way better than Smackdown Vs Raw 2010 imo. Sure WWE sucks nowadays but, at the time I was a huge fan...now I can't stand it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkw9ArcyjDs"]YouTube- WWE Day of Reckoning 2 - Randy Orton vs John Cena - Last Man Standing Match 1/2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eai_uKT6C0s&feature=related"]YouTube- WWE Day of Reckoning 2 - Randy Orton vs John Cena - Last Man Standing Match 2/2[/ame]

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

sorry the text is so big but so were the images and the free online image editor wasn't working...so yeah

Featured Reviews
Read more
Big Red One

Frontline FPS action
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Regular Poster

CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
Re: Day of Reckoning 2

I never got by that 4 person steel cage match in story if you remember that. It was impossible...
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ron36 View Post
I never got by that 4 person steel cage match in story if you remember that. It was impossible...
Cam...for the love of God don't mention that match...so...much...ANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I even broke my Gamecube controller, luckily I had 3 more.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Regular Poster

fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average

Nothing is impossible, although I do have to admit I've never played DOR2. It takes time to figure out how to beat it. Once you figure it out, beating it shouldn't be too hard. Unless of course it's on expert setting.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Regular Poster

fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average

That bad, huh? Well, nothing worse than an aggravating match. For example, on Legends of Wrestling 2, my brother and I could never get past the Four-Way matches.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir1887 View Post
That bad, huh? Well, nothing worse than an aggravating match. For example, on Legends of Wrestling 2, my brother and I could never get past the Four-Way matches.
Honestly, I was never a fan of the Legends Of Wrestling games, yes it was nice to see legends such as; Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan and The Road Warriors. One thing that still puzzled me was in the first one, why was Rob Van Dam in it? The game came out in 2001 he was signed with the [then] WWF, so it made zero sense.

Also yes the match was that damn frustrating
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Regular Poster

I understand, but I had to point out a match that aggravated me even if it was in a different game. That way you would see where I was going.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

Oh alright, I get you.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Regular Poster

CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

Lol, ugh... I never want to go back to it. Allow me to explain people, first. If you go back to my DOR 1 review, I complain about the fatal-four-way match at the end. everyone is after you, and it is impossible to keep them all down at the same time long enough to pin one of them...

Now, in DOR 2, you come across a fatal four way match... In a steel cage. Normally, a steel cage match is diffcult, you can't just climb out quickly, you have to tap the 'A' button for like a minute until your person finally climbs out... OMG, four people, including you, but still. To keep all of these people down at the same time long enough to climb out is BRUTAL!! Eventually, you might build up a few specials, if you manage to special all of them without one countering, you can have a shot at climbing out. This is over-shadowed by two MAJOR flaws:
- You end up tapping the 'A' button so dang fast that you wind up hitting the 'X' or 'Y' buttons. What happens now? Your character jumps down from the cage into the ring. One other flaw is that you have to have perfect energy, if you wore your energy down at all, you will lose all of your energy trying to climb out that you will climb back down. One character usually pops up and runs into the cage knocking you down again. You may think you can just wear them all down, but chances are, they will counter your moves too much and gang up on you that it will be impossible to wear them all down... Get this too, 30 minute time limit............. The worst part is, I have to go through it again... wait, why am I saying again, that's right. My brothers beat it last time. This time, I'll have some assistance: action Replay, just pick the codes that have your enemies starting really sore everywhere and drained. God bless cheats for this kind of hell!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
MY TITLE IS RED!

Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

I vaguely remember playing those matches and I know how bad they are. If I remember right the best way to beat them is to get two guys to focus on each other(and not you) and then beat the other guy senseless. Even with that the whole tap the button until you get a blister is just wrong.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Regular Poster

on the GC controller, it aint bad... The 'A; button is smooth, I guess I've only ever used third-party controllers for it, but oh well. I've tried DB, and for that one match, I won't try again without cheats.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
MY TITLE IS RED!

Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

I wouldn't bother trying again. I hate when a game adds unrealistic difficulty to make it seem like they put effort into it. It's obvious they didn't really care if people enjoyed those matches.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Regular Poster

samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

Day of Reckoning 1 and 2 I've heard great things from.
Looks really good.

Just look at what you can do:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzpZvpBGy0k]YouTube - WWE DOR FALCON PUNCH!![/ame]
Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Regular Poster

the matches and story are great DB, it's just that one match... But I beat it in 4 minutes using cheats. Now that that is out of the way, I can actually see the rest of the story mode.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

Quote:
the matches and story are great DB, it's just that one match... But I beat it in 4 minutes using cheats. Now that that is out of the way, I can actually see the rest of the story mode.
Cam I beat DOR and DOR 2, I don't think there are cheats for either game, trust me I still have both.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Regular Poster

I have an Action Replay, which is the same thing as a Game Shark...
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

Quote:
I have an Action Replay, which is the same thing as a Game Shark...
I know what an Action Replay is, I figured that because you said you cheated and I'm like wait, there aren't any cheats unless you're using the Action Replay. Took me a while before I could beat the Fatal Four Way cage match in DOR 2, the one in DOR where I believe you had to use two finishers on your opponents was pretty easy I'll have to say, and for the four way match in DOR 2, I just gave my character The Spear as a finisher and it did make it a little easier
Old 03-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Regular Poster

Spear is ALWAYS a general running move for me (non-special)
Old 03-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

I put it as a finisher that and the Stone Cold Stunner
Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 AM
MY TITLE IS RED!

Angle slam is the best finisher EVAR!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

you wish, STONE COLD STUNNER IS FTW!!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 AM
MY TITLE IS RED!

I like the stunner and I used it off and on but the Angle Slam just seemed to put them down for the count. It could be because I used a lot of german suplexs and belly to back slams though. I hate to admit it publically but I'm an Angle fan.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

Kurt Angle was a great wrestler...then he went to TNA *shudders*
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 AM
MY TITLE IS RED!

He's still a great wreslter, it's odd that he keeps getting ignored wherever he goes though. It seems like he's always second banana to some flashy muscle freak or flavor of the week. Imo he's one of the only truly talented wrestlers of the modern era.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
100%100%100%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 92%
Regular Poster

Yes he is, Kurt Angle was as American as apple pie, he was one of the best and he was also the reason WWE didn't suck but now that he's gone, all these new kids are in the WWE and it's gone to hell in a handcart, I always hated John Cena...couldn't stand him with that "Thuganomics" garbage.
Comment