| Scoop This section contains interesting stories found on the web, mostly to do with retro gaming. |
|
|
View Poll Results: Should the call be reversed?
|
|
Yes
|
  
|
6 |
46.15% |
|
No
|
  
|
7 |
53.85% |
06-03-2010, 07:36 AM
|
#1
|
|
|
Deprived of Perfection
Armando Galarragaof the Detroit Tigers nearly achieved what all true pitchers
strive for, a perfect game. But on the last play, the umpire made a mistake an
called the runner safe. Should the comissioner of baseball change this call to
make it a perfect game?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmCNNxRg_Og"]YouTube - Armando Galarraga's perfect game ruined on the last out[/ame]
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
|
#2
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
A perfect game would include having the umpires calling all the plays correctly, or at least in favor of the pitcher. The umpire is also a big part of the game and is as much a part of the game as the ball being pitched. If the umpire would have called it an "out" when it was actually "safe," should that also be reversed?
|
|
|
06-03-2010, 09:16 AM
|
#3
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
The umpire missed the call, that is the "human element" of the game. It is really terrible for Galarraga that it happened to him. Seeing how this year in baseball has seen two perfect games and a no-hitter, it is already historic for pitchers.
Baseball needs to put more guidelines for instant replay, it would not even be discussed if the reviewable calls were expanded.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 09:39 AM
|
#4
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
@ Sabby
Perhaps, but then it will take forever to finish a ball game if the umps are reviewing replays all the time. A normal ball game already takes 2 or 3 hours to end. The "human element" is vital to the sport. I think umpires should get their eyes checked more often instead.
|
|
|
06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
|
#5
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Gallaraga should be awarded his well earned perfect game.
if baseball had an effective instant replay, this wouldn't have happened. Had it not been for the bad umpire call, we would have a 3rd perfect game this season. Joyce(the umpire) admitted he screwed up the call, and the MLB acknowledges the call was a mistake. So now why not give
Gallaraga his perfect game?
|
My Signature |
|
You Dont Stop Playing Games Because You Get Old, You Get Old Because You Stop playing Games. Well Known Fact.
06-03-2010, 09:49 AM
|
#6
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozman3000
@ Sabby
Perhaps, but then it will take forever to finish a ball game if the umps are reviewing replays all the time. A normal ball game already takes 2 or 3 hours to end. The "human element" is vital to the sport. I think umpires should get their eyes checked more often instead.
|
How much longer are football and basketball games with instant replay? I realize that those are timed games but it works for them. Keep it to the discretion of the umpires, besides, it the players and coaches that cause the game to go on for ever, not the umpires.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
|
#7
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby
How much longer are football and basketball games with instant replay? I realize that those are timed games but it works for them. Keep it to the discretion of the umpires, besides, it the players and coaches that cause the game to go on for ever, not the umpires.
|
Good point about the coaches and players stretching out the games. But I still don't think that replays should be used in baseball. What's to stop players and coaches to review every pitch just to make sure it actually was a strike? Would there be a limit to how many challenges a team can make? Actually I think I could accept a replay challenge in baseball if each team only gets three per game.
|
|
|
06-03-2010, 10:49 AM
|
#8
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozman3000
Good point about the coaches and players stretching out the games. But I still don't think that replays should be used in baseball. What's to stop players and coaches to review every pitch just to make sure it actually was a strike? Would there be a limit to how many challenges a team can make? Actually I think I could accept a replay challenge in baseball if each team only gets three per game.
|
It wouldn't be practical to review balls and strikes. I think only using it for home run calls, close plays at the bases, and maybe if a player "traps" a ball. Other than that I don't think other plays should be reviewed. As for how many, I don't know. I like the football way of taking away a time out for a challenge that is not over turned, I don't know what you can take away from a team in baseball.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 10:52 AM
|
#9
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Maybe give the batting team an automatic out and the defence an automatic runner on base.
|
|
|
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
|
#10
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Galarraga pitched a perfect game as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what MLB says, he earned it.
What do you guys think of this possible solution?
Practical Replay | FanGraphs Baseball
|
My Signature |
|
Check out the Zed Discord; the only Zed-centric Discord in the world!
Or perhaps the Zed Twitter; the only Zed-centric Twitter in the world!
Or, hell, the Zed Twitch ; the only Zed-centric Twitch in the world!
06-03-2010, 11:07 AM
|
#11
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
sounds good
|
|
|
06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
|
#12
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatiamat
|
I think for the time being that would be the best solution. Fair/foul, balls/strikes should never be reviewed.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
|
#13
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatiamat
Galarraga pitched a perfect game as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what MLB says, he earned it.
What do you guys think of this possible solution?
Practical Replay | FanGraphs Baseball
|
Sounds like a good idea to me.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
|
#14
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
It's way past time to get rid of the old way of doing things. This guy earned a perfect game and a bad call ruined it? What a load of crap. If they don't award him his due credit then they'll lose the respect of many fans. I give the pitcher and the ump a lot of credit for handling this so well but this is a crock. Baseball needs to add instant replay if they wanna continue to be taken seriously.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
|
#15
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Well looks like Bud Selig has decided not to overturn the call. I agree with his decision since almost every game has a blown call at one point or another. There were a couple of other blown calls in games last night, one that if reversed, would have changed the outcome of the game. If he (Selig) would have overturned the call, it would have opened a "Pandora's Box" of problems that baseball can not afford.
Baseball needs instant replay, it is that simple, hopefully this will open the eyes of the powers that be in baseball.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
|
#16
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Quote:
|
Well looks like Bud Selig has decided not to overturn the call.
|
What a coward. So this guy(and his teammates) lose a hard earned perfect game because they don't wanna rock the boat? Garbage. I'm not a sports fan by any means but I just lost any respect I had for baseball.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
|
#17
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
What a coward. So this guy(and his teammates) lose a hard earned perfect game because they don't wanna rock the boat? Garbage. I'm not a sports fan by any means but I just lost any respect I had for baseball.
|
So your saying the baseball should look into every bad call? Like I said, there were more than just that call that were wrong last night. Probably one in every game, the only reason this one was so publicized was because of the timing of it. If there were a hit in the game earlier this bad call would have been just a side note on ESPN or FOXSports.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
|
#18
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
As dumb as the call may be, it happened, and the past should be left as-is.
The pitcher said he has no problem, and everybody makes mistakes.
Oh, and it's just a game. People take things to seriously.
|
|
|
06-03-2010, 06:02 PM
|
#19
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
It's unfortunate that the guys perfect game was ruined, but bad calls are part of the game and always have been. I don't think that instant replays should ever be referred to in baseball, "kill the ump!" is part of the game.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
06-03-2010, 06:12 PM
|
#20
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby
So your saying the baseball should look into every bad call?
|
No, don't they only review big plays in football with instant replay? I just think it's very unfair to rob this guy of his accomplishment because of an outdated tradition. Human beings are bad eye witnesses, this is a fact. To continue to allow human beings to make judgment calls in the face of video recording is just dumb. Who cares about the human element in this? Isn't it more important to give credit where credit is due?
Quote:
|
If there were a hit in the game earlier this bad call would have been just a side note on ESPN or FOXSports.
|
But that's just it, there was no hit because the guy worked for it. Penalizing him for a bad call is just wrong and it should be overturned in light of how obviously the call was botched.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by DM
As dumb as the call may be, it happened, and the past should be left as-is.
|
But why? If everyone knows it's wrong and unfair why just let it be? All they have to do is fix the error so he gets credit.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
|
#21
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
Right, but it is a game, and a dumb one at that. We can't undo mistakes in reality, so why allow it in a game?
|
|
|
06-03-2010, 06:20 PM
|
#22
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
We can undo this kind of mistake because it's just some stat that can easily be adjusted to reflect the actual outcome. The higher ups in baseball are choosing to keep the call.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
|
#23
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
It is stupid that they are choosing to keep the call. If they change it, then that's cool; if not, then big-freaking-deal, let's let the country get into turmoil over this.
|
|
|
06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
|
#24
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
I'm not saying it's a big deal or that it even matters at all in the long run. I just hate seeing something so unfair just dismissed and excused because of some pointless tradition. It doesn't effect me at all really, I hardy ever watch sports and I care very little about it.
|
My Signature |
|
06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
|
#25
|
|
|
Re: Deprived of Perfection
I know, it doesn't effect me much either.
It is a stupid tradition.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.
|