Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Winnebagel's Avatar
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Winnebagel

Favorite Books...

Okay, this thread may not become the most popular one, as a lot of people don't seem to like to read anymore, but here goes anyway. What are your favorite books, or what are you currently reading?

Personally, I love to read. I am currently reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I am on book 3 of 7 (don't tell me how it ends).

What about you everyone else?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: Favorite Books...

i just read art books, just got finished a boris/julie and started a caravaggio one
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: Favorite Books...

The Dark Tower is a 7 book series. I read the first 2 when I was 11. I was pissed when I got to the end of the second and found out the third was not even written yet. The third came out when I was 13 and was my favorite Christmas present that year until I got to the end and King said "to be continued" again but this time he said at this pace it will take him 20 years to finish. He finished the series when I was 26. I finished reading it when I was 27. I'm still a little bitter about it.

I am not a huge fan of Stephen King now. He has some interesting plots but his writing style can be annoying and overly drawn out. Dark Tower is much much better if you have read many of his other books. The first King book I read was Eyes of the Dragon. The bad guy was Randal Flag. At one point in Eyes of The Dragon King says that is all I will tell you about Flag for now but there is much more to tell about him later. He turns out to be the main bad guy in the Dark Tower too. I flipped out when I was 11 and read that. It made it seem much more real if characters could exist in multiple books.

Last edited by Kong; 08-25-2009 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
justinm26's Avatar
Regular Poster
398 posts
justinm26 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
justinm26

Re: Favorite Books...

I personally loved the Dark Tower Series. I finished all of them about 2 or 3 years ago. I am currently reading From the Corner Of His Eye by Dean Koontz. I only read horror fiction mostly because it is the only thing that entertains me. My fav. author is Richard Laymon. He writes some of the best Horror Fiction I've ever read.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
OldTimer's Avatar
Regular Poster
486 posts
OldTimer is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
OldTimer

Re: Favorite Books...

The Robert Bachman books were pretty good too.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
LunaAngelRose's Avatar
 
LunaAngelRose

Re: Favorite Books...

Three of my favorite books of all time is....






My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
http://www.gaming-asylum.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2016_09/asylum1.jpg.518d4f93a7d3aa353b7819e19ae44372.jpg
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Kugyince's Avatar
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Kugyince

Re: Favorite Books...

Howard Zinn's A Peoples History of the United States.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
DrunkN's Avatar
 
DrunkN

Re: Favorite Books...

Right now I'm reading The Rising Tide, but I was in a hurry for a book. It's not bad, but it does tend to stretch out.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
justinm26's Avatar
Regular Poster
398 posts
justinm26 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
justinm26

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
The Robert Bachman books were pretty good too.
You didn't by any chance mean Richard Bachman did you?
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Dojah's Avatar
 
Dojah

Re: Favorite Books...

I mainly read spiritual books/religious books or books about the ancients. Right now I am reading America B.C. It's about Europeans/Mid Easterners coming to America long before Columbus. I started but havent finished Voices of the Wind. That book is about Native American religions/cults/legends/myths. IMO both are very good books.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
LunaAngelRose's Avatar
 
LunaAngelRose

Re: Favorite Books...

My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
http://www.gaming-asylum.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2016_09/asylum1.jpg.518d4f93a7d3aa353b7819e19ae44372.jpg
Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Billy Hoyle's Avatar
 
Billy Hoyle

Re: Favorite Books...

I'm a pretty big non-fiction reader. Finishing up Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. It has to be a classic for me to read a fictional work.

My guilty pleasure are pieces written by boxing historians about the fistic arts...especially anything about the life and career of Mike Tyson.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
[size=48pt]G.O.M.[/size]
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Timber Wolf's Avatar
Regular Poster
757 posts
Timber Wolf is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via Yahoo to Timber Wolf
 
Timber Wolf

Re: Favorite Books...

well, right now I'm reading Watt and Moby Dick because of school, personally, I just finished The Gods Themselves which was good, the end was anticlimactic, but the story was interesting
Time Enough For Love is a really good book, I like Heinlein's work for the most part
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
"...The people living there know thirst, hunger, disease, they suffer all these things and in the end, they grow old and die. But for one brief moment they shine as bright as the sun, because they know these hardships, they also know the meaning of happiness..."
Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
Winnebagel's Avatar
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Winnebagel

Re: Favorite Books...

Here are just a few of my all time favorites:







My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
DrunkN's Avatar
 
DrunkN

Re: Favorite Books...

One of my favorite books is So Long and Thanks For All the Fish by Douglas Adams, but I enjoy all of the books in the HGG series.

I would also recommend Misery to anyone who has not read it.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
Winnebagel's Avatar
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Winnebagel

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkninja View Post
One of my favorite books is So Long and Thanks For All the Fish by Douglas Adams, but I enjoy all of the books in the HGG series.

I would also recommend Misery to anyone who has not read it.
Excellent choice. I love the whole HGG series. Speaking of, I hope the new book coming out this year will be good. I am a little apprehensive about one without D.A., but at the same time I know he wanted to write another, and I don't like how Mostly Harmless ended.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
DrunkN's Avatar
 
DrunkN

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebagel View Post
Excellent choice. I love the whole HGG series. Speaking of, I hope the new book coming out this year will be good. I am a little apprehensive about one without D.A., but at the same time I know he wanted to write another, and I don't like how Mostly Harmless ended.
A new book? Without Douglas Adams? I'll read it, but I'm a bit skeptical about it. My friend insisted that the series wasn't finished, but I of course thought it wasn't going to be continued because

a. Douglas Adams was dead
b. The last book was written more than 15 years ago
c. A certain ending of the last book
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #18
Smittycal's Avatar
 
Smittycal

Re: Favorite Books...

Ive been a fan of comics/graphic novels for years.

I love Batman The dark Knight, 300, Sin City books, Grendel, Lone Wolf and Cub, Green Lantern Blackes Night series...ect..

I know they might not be literary classics or anything but I think there good reads
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
http://www.scuffletown.org/wp-content/image/neverends1.gif
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Winnebagel's Avatar
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Winnebagel

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkninja View Post
A new book? Without Douglas Adams? I'll read it, but I'm a bit skeptical about it. My friend insisted that the series wasn't finished, but I of course thought it wasn't going to be continued because

a. Douglas Adams was dead
b. The last book was written more than 15 years ago
c. A certain ending of the last book
I know what you mean, but the book is coming out pretty soon. It will be called, "And Another Thing..."

I'm a bit skeptical myself, but I want to see where the story goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycal
Ive been a fan of comics/graphic novels for years.

I love Batman The dark Knight, 300, Sin City books, Grendel, Lone Wolf and Cub, Green Lantern Blackes Night series...ect..

I know they might not be literary classics or anything but I think there good reads
Some of the best things I have ever read were comics/graphic novels. I love Green Lantern too. Also, I love the Batman: Knightfall story and the Death & Return of Superman. Great stuff!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #20
DrunkN's Avatar
 
DrunkN

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebagel View Post
I know what you mean, but the book is coming out pretty soon. It will be called, "And Another Thing..."

I'm a bit skeptical myself, but I want to see where the story goes.
I just wiki'd it, It's going to be by Eoin Colfer, so that relieves be a little bit. You wouldn't know it by his Artemis Fowl books but he's quite a funny guy.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #21
Winnebagel's Avatar
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Winnebagel

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkninja View Post
I just wiki'd it, It's going to be by Eoin Colfer, so that relieves be a little bit. You wouldn't know it by his Artemis Fowl books but he's quite a funny guy.
Yeah, he's a creative guy, and he has the blessing of Adam's family, so hopefully it will be good.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #22
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaAngelRose
Lolita, On the Road, Catcher in the rye
Why did you like those books? I'm not trying to be a jerk I'm just curious.

I read On the Road and Catcher in the Rye and I thought they were terrible. I also read enough about Lolita(and saw the movie) to know the story and I don't think it was very good either.
It seems weird that 2/3 you mentioned deal with underage sex in a creepy way.
Btw Catcher in the Rye inspired that loser to shoot John Lennon, that's enough to hate the book imo.

Fahrenheit 451 was a great book though.



Quote:
Originally Posted by WB
I am currently reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I am on book 3 of 7 (don't tell me how it ends).
I won't spoil it for you but I will say the ending was the worst part imo. I'm interested in how you like it. I'm not a huge fan of his work anyways so I might be bias.


Right now I'm reading The God Delusion and I think it's awesome. I'm sure most people wouldn't agree but I think it's a must read for anyone with an open mind.

It's hard to list all my favorite books but I'll give it a shot, I can always add more later.
LOTR
The Sword of Truth series
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever
Most of Edgar Allen Poes stories(some were boring)
Of Mice and Men
Fahrenheit 451
The Dark Tower(although I didn't like some of it and the ending).

There's more but I can't remember atm.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #23
Winnebagel's Avatar
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Winnebagel

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Fahrenheit 451 was a great book though.
I agree. A great book with a great message. I like 1984 in the same way.

Quote:
I won't spoil it for you but I will say the ending was the worst part imo. I'm interested in how you like it. I'm not a huge fan of his work anyways so I might be bias.
I'm near the end of book 3. I kind of go through books slowly these days because of other demands on my time. I'll let you know what I think as soon as I finish the series. So far I think it's well put together.

Quote:
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever
I was reading about that one not long ago. That's on my list of books to read.

Quote:
Most of Edgar Allen Poes stories(some were boring)
I like EAP too. I have his complete works collection, and I read some of it from time to time.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #24
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Favorite Books...

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever is good but it's nothing new if you've read a lot of fantasy. I enjoyed the hell out of it though.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #25
Winnebagel's Avatar
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Winnebagel

Re: Favorite Books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever is good but it's nothing new if you've read a lot of fantasy. I enjoyed the hell out of it though.
I never get tired of Fantasy books, or Fantasy movies like Star Wars. (Sorry DB, I couldn't resist).

In all seriousness I do love Fantasy and Science Fiction books. I just love the imagination that are in many of them. Speaking of, have you ever read Morte' D'Arthur by Thomas Malory? It's dense, but a good read.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Is Your Favorite 80's song? LunaAngelRose Chat 91 12-30-2014 10:02 PM
What's your favorite rpg. DoctorRyanB1 All Other Games 74 05-23-2013 01:10 PM
Favorite EJT2012 Chat 8 09-16-2008 03:04 PM
PDF Versions Of Text Books oasis Chat 2 08-06-2008 02:17 PM
C++ DLL creating tutorials (books)? fedor Chat 10 01-23-2007 08:06 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.

» vBadvanced CMPS