| RU Games Discussions for just Retro Uprising games. |
|
03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
|
#1
|
|
|
specific scores, ways to track, SNES
just thought some might be confused by sim ant and other games so any games that are confusing score wise, I'll post them here.
Sim Ant : It's simple however many numbers you have beside the blue bar, that's how many ants you have, therefore, that's your score.
The red bar: is the other team, so this does not count towards your score.
The yellow bar: Is the ant you use, in full mode you will get infinite yellow ants, in scenario, you will get three, This does not count towards your score.
So, only the number beside the blue bar count's as your score, You got that mods?
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
|
#2
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Edit:
Donkey kong country: Scores can simply be tracked by game percentage I guess... fair enough?
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 10:25 AM
|
#3
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Sim Ant - Too many numbers that are important in the game.
Donkey Kong Country - Too many people can have the same percentage plus there is a cap (101% I think).
Cam3ron36 not all SNES games need to be score enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ron36
You got that mods?
|
This should have been worded differently.
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
|
#4
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
What do you mean too many numbers?
Just how many ants you get, And the cap is 999, and no one will ever reach it that far.
Sorry, Should've said, is that alright mods :x
does this mean sim city is score disabled too?
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
|
#5
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Yes.
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
|
#6
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Well, Guess I can't argue that
but really, the number right above the blue bar

.........^ Right there.
If you don't want to score enable it, Then that's fine with me, But I see a way to track scores, Thats all.
Last edited by CatalystiCam; 03-25-2009 at 10:47 AM..
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
|
#7
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby
Sim Ant - Too many numbers that are important in the game.
Donkey Kong Country - Too many people can have the same percentage plus there is a cap (101% I think).
|
I thought we solved this problem with the farm scores
if to many people can have the same score we mark it as farmable so the user still gets the credit and can show there progress in the game but it does not count towards there actual trophies
at least that is how I would like it just because I am a fan of score enabled games.
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
|
#8
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
at least that is how I would like it just because I am a fan of score enabled games.
|
So if the game isn't score enabled you don't like it? Seems silly to me. So I guess you don't like Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda then.
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 03:22 PM
|
#9
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Yeah oasis, Isn't this one of the reasons we have the farm scores?
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 03:32 PM
|
#10
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
we have had this argument before sabby ;D
and what you quoted did not say that I am not a fan of any game that is not score enabled
but to restate my oppinion on scores is
if it is possible to have any type of score it should be score enabled
if you want to use 16 hearts on zelda then it should be enabled just as farmable score so it does not count as a true trophie
if you want to use the level of the main character from final fantasy 2 cecil as a score
then it should be score enabled as farmable so it does not count as a true trophie
if you wanted to get creative and have final fantasy 3 track scores by a combied total level of your 4 top chars (because you can change them) or if you wanted it to just be your highest level char or have a mod deside on who is the main char and use that persons level as the score (IE Terra since most of the story line evolves around her (well at the begining)) then that game should be enabled as farmable.
I dont see a problem with doing this especially with the new way of approving scores with user approves
just the score outline will have to be in detail so no one gets confused
for example
under score objective for FF3 it would read
The score for this game is based off of Terra's level. The higher her level is the higer the score (max 99)
FF2 would read the same
The score for this game is based off of Cecil's level. The higher her level is the higer the score (max 99)
zelda would read
The score for this game is based off of how many full heart containers you have (max 16)
(if someone wants to play through the whole game with out save states or cheats to get max 16 hearts they should be allowed to do so)
donkey kong country would read
The score for this game is based off of your total completion % at the time of submission (max 101%)
(that would be pretty hard to do and would be an accomplishment because the person would have to dedicate several hours of playing the game because they dont have saves because they are in score mode)
if the score is fairly easy to depict and it can be easily classified as a score then my oppinion is that is should be enabled. but that is just my oppionion. the mods and kong have the final say.
something that the score should not read
the score for this chess game is 1 point for each pawn taken 10 points for a queen 10 points for check mate 5 points for castle ect ect ect
that is to complicated to add up so we should not use it
so I agree with you when you said that many people can have 101% on DKC but I dont believe that many people would dedicate themselves to play the entire game without stopping which would take hours and if they did dedicate themselves that much then they should be rewarded with something
the below remarks are only valid if we have come to the conclusion to add non conventional scores
I have no problem if people want a game score enabled to pm me and ask me to enable a score and they explain how to get the score. I will gladly go in and update the description to every game that is needed on how to achieve the score (only if the mods approve that it is an appropriate score)
people could pm me directly or have a forum dedicated to non conventional highscores and I will go and edit the descriptions. when players approve scores they would just have to have an extra step of checking how the score is calculated or kong could add to the score approve page the description in a text box if possible so they could see it all on the same page. If no one requests the game to be enabled then it will stay score disabled untill someone does or a mod wants to enable it just when they make the request to enable the game they will have to give a description on how the score is calculated or the requestest would be DENIED
Last edited by oasis; 03-25-2009 at 03:38 PM..
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 04:11 PM
|
#11
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
After reading your manifesto oasis, yes, I know we have had this argument before, that's why I'm getting so frustrated with this topic every time it comes up. If you need to validate your gaming prowess with a meaningless trophy, fine, we'll enable every single game on the site that has a number and have a free-for-all. It just sounds lame.
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 04:36 PM
|
#12
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
well why would you disable sim city and sim ant, It takes true skill to get your population up in both, And theres proof in both.
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
|
#13
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
@sabby I know and I understand your point of view
but other than the scores and forum what makes this site any different than an emulator.
nothing really. its not that I need the scores its that I like the scores because it does make this site different from just playing an emulator which is the exact reason why I would rather come here than play my emulator I have access to both but I can come here and track my own personal progress and have it displayed.
its just a matter of option in this case. and just because you think its lame does not mean that I do and if the scores were enabled it would not affect your lame status in any way either pro or Con if the users are approving scores the only time on rare occasions would it affect you is if the score does not pass the user score review process (if we are still using that method because I dont know if we are not then my argument is invalid)
I could care less about the trophies what I like about the scores on this site is that it tracks my own personal best if I got 101% in DKC then I know I have maxed that game
and if I got 80% in super metroid then I know I am still missing 20%
with out scores I would have to track that information myself and I always lose stuff like that
at least here it does it automatically (well mostly automatically)
and this topic would stop comming up if we could come to a clear consensis and make it part of the rules and if that takes a new topic for requesting non conventional scores that people would have to post in that topic and I do it myself I am fine with that. but I wont do anything untill the rules are established and we agree on everything
the topic could read simply this
To request a non conventional score to be enabled for a game you must post your request as follows
1. Donkey Kong Country
2. What you want the score to be
3. how you achieve the score
4. is there a way to farm for the score
5. a screen shot of an example score
then myself or other game mod would go in and update the game objective description with the nessisary information
Last edited by oasis; 03-25-2009 at 04:57 PM..
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 04:54 PM
|
#14
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Alright boys.
@Oasis: If a game offers an actual SCORE then it should be score enabled. The number of Ants you have or your completion percentage is not a score. Playing a game should be its own reward and doesn't require validation.
@Sabby: Why are you becoming frustrated with members stating their own opinions?
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 05:01 PM
|
#15
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
@tenser understood thats the last I will say of it ;D
you guys tell me what to do and I do it. Thats what I am here for to help you out and play some games and talk with all the people I consider friends here on the forums
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 05:15 PM
|
#16
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Oasis raises a perfect point here, Every game I requested to be score enabled, I own on my snes. That is the reason I requested them, So I could get some scores, And kong seems to agree with me and oasis if he accepted my score for sim ant: http://retrouprising.com/game-menu/user/15480/
Point is it is hard to accumulate 999 ants and frankly near impossible, In my current game on Snes, I've played it for about 5 hours and have 160 ants or something. Because half the ants fly away to make their own nests every year.
So I Really want this game to be score enabled, or at least farm score enabled.
I believe that any game that has a scoring number of at least 100 different scores, If you can accumulate 117 ants, Tha should be your score/farm, If you get 91% in DKC, It should be known.
I believe any games can have a score, But I'll be reasonable. I vote for a cap, Any games that you can score at least 100 different scores or more should be score/farm enabled, This is reasonable is it not?
This means If you can complete donkey kong country with a percentage of 0-101, you can score 100 different scores, Therefore. It should be enabled, in sim ant, There is 999 possible outcomes for scores.
Can you hear me out on this?
Last edited by CatalystiCam; 03-25-2009 at 05:21 PM..
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
|
#17
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Thank you Oasis.
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 05:23 PM
|
#18
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
@Sabby: Why are you becoming frustrated with members stating their own opinions?
|
Not frustrated with the opinions, frustrated with the constant, "I need a trophy to validate what I'm doing." that continues here. Sounds like little league baseball without the hugs and snow cones.
@oasis - Sorry if it seems like I'm lashing out at you, this topic (not opinion) seems ridiculous to me.
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
|
#19
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
No comment on my offer 
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 05:52 PM
|
#20
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby
@oasis - Sorry if it seems like I'm lashing out at you, this topic (not opinion) seems ridiculous to me.
|
I never felt like you were lashing or picking on me we were just stating our points in friendly conversation sorry if I seemed a bit gung ho about it too
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 05:54 PM
|
#21
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
I want a snow cone now.
Fun Fact: There's a little league park right next door to the lab I work for. Sometimes in the summer I'll go over and get a snow cone for $1. :P
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
|
#22
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Are sim ant sim city and DKC getting score disabled then.
@tenser, Slurpies/slushies are better 
|
|
|
03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
|
#23
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
DKC I think shouls stay score enabled because it would take alot of work for tie scores
and % i think is a valid comparison you can say I am 1% better than you unlike football scores
the population in sim city is iffy
but with tensers definition of SCORE they should be score disabled
|
My Signature |
|
03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
|
#24
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
Not sim ant :/
|
|
|
03-26-2009, 04:17 AM
|
#25
|
|
|
Re: specific scores, ways to track, SNES
I guess I missed this somehow thanks for the heads up Oasis.
@Oasis- I'm with you about more games being score enabled but your saying some crazy stuff and hurting the debate.
You're supposed to get all the hearts in Zelda anyways. It will end up being a tie between how ever many people beat the game. Lame.
RPGs should not be score enabled because it requires farming to do so. Levels and money are not goals in the game(hopefully).
Those sound more like challenges, although not very difficult(the farming not the games). The Zelda one would be better if the site just recorded if you beat a game or not. That'd be a much cooler feature. Having all kinds of random trophies takes away from the serious ones.
I did like this...
Quote:
To request a non conventional score to be enabled for a game you must post your request as follows
1. Donkey Kong Country
2. What you want the score to be
3. how you achieve the score
4. is there a way to farm for the score
5. a screen shot of an example score
|
Except that any game with just a completion % should be denied. It WILL end up as a tie because eventually the only way to get the score would be 100%. Then it's just pointless so why even enable the score at all? This goes back to keeping track of beaten games. It would be cool.
I'm on the fence about Simant. I'm gonna play it again and see how good camerons idea is. I'm thinking it'll be too easy to farm though, I'll let you guys know what I think.
Simcity might be ok for score enabled. Population is a great way to measure how well your doing and it's impossible to farm since it's the whole point of the game(basically).
We have Aerobiz score enabled using passenger totals. I know the game and it's not a farmable thing, it's one of the things you need to beat the game.
We also have some games enabled with money as the score. Imo that's not a great idea since it encourages farming and it really doesn't show how good your doing.
I agree we need to settle this once and for all but we should end up allowing more games not less since it's good for the site.
|
My Signature |
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
| Thread |
Thread Starter |
Forum |
Replies |
Last Post |
|
No Snes scores?
|
CatalystiCam |
RU Games |
22 |
03-25-2009 02:24 PM |
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.
|