Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Mikman's Avatar
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats
 
Mikman

dark movies

Do you understand this supposed trend of "dark, edgy" movies lately? I don't.

Firstly I question what this trend actually is. Supposedly in film'dark' means that the characters are morally grey and the plot is philosophical. What does that have to do with darkness, which is just the absence of light?

Actually, that's not my real point, but just pointless examination. The real point is that many believe that dark is realistic, but it isn't always. In reality, people, even those who are motivated by ideologies, don't stand around and philosophize about what they do. They just do it. Plus, talking and conversing about subjects during a film isn't always an effective storytelling method. More show and less tell is what a film is all about. I completely agree that many films are far from accurate, and I like to see correctness and social relevancy in films, but endless moralizations aren't the way to go.

Also, a really morally grey character wouldn't always question what he/she does. That's what surrounding characters are for.

Finally, I notice that some films which intend that they be dark and gritty really aren't. I saw "The Amazing Spider-Man" and was not impressed or entertained. What annoyed me most, though, was that, according to some persons, it was a 'dark reboot,' yet I saw not a single way that it was more morally conflicted or socially philosophical in it. It just annoyed me because I saw a better version about a decade prior.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kong tries to DM Dark Sun Kong Chat 0 03-06-2013 06:04 PM
Dark Knight Shooting Winnebagel Chat 85 08-15-2012 07:59 AM
The Dark Knight Returns Winnebagel Chat 6 07-31-2012 10:35 PM
Dark Void Zero Demon-Mask Reviews 17 02-15-2010 06:30 PM
BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT Dudebro Chat 120 08-09-2008 09:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

» vBadvanced CMPS