Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > Reviews

Comment

Review Tools Search this Review Display Modes
It's more of an novelty than a game.
Published by ECInc2XXX
02-27-2010
Author review
GraphicsN/A
SoundN/A
Replay valueN/A
ChallengeN/A
TiltN/A
Average N/A%

The Angry Video Game

Eric Corp Gamer's RU Exclusive Review 9
The Angry Video Game Nerd's Angry Video Game

Graphics: B-

As it tries to replicate the NES era's graphics, it's actually not half bad. The sprites and backgrounds are pretty good looking but overall, it looks kinda bland. The AVGN sprite itself is probably the highlight of the graphics. Overall, decent enough for a fan game.

Gameplay: C

The gameplay of the game is in a similar style to the Mega Man series but, it gets old really fast. The level design of the game is decent enough, but they are some spots which they put enemies in the middle of a pit or the edge of the next platform, that doesn't make a fair challenge due to that, and the horrible placing controls on the keyboard, which I'll tell you right now.

Controls: D+

I don't know what we're they thinking with the placement of these controls. I mean, throwing Rolling Rocks, and jumping is all cramped into the NumPads, which is ridiculous. It's really hard to do simple things due to the horrible placement on the keyboard. They couldn't just put it on the "letters" (Z, X, and maybe Space or Ctrl).

Sound: C

It also tries to replicate the sound of the NES era, and it'll be close to decent. The music is kinda boring and not as catchy as the other games of the 8-bit era. I would expect something much better than what we get here, but easy come, easy go. The main highlights of the sound department are probably James Rolfe's (AVGN's) voice and the 8-bit version of the AVGN theme, which are also, the best part of the game.

Replay Value: C-

Only for AVGN or 8-bit era fans will have a decent time with this game, but the cramping of the controls and repetitive gameplay, will probably blow away people.

Overall: C

I'll admit, for the first video game based off the AVGN, it's not that bad. This is just one of those games you'll be playing once in a while. It's more of a novelty than a game.

2010 Eric Corp Incorporated

SCREENSHOTS OF THE GAME:

Here's also a video of the game to check out:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koTcHhqHfXY&feature=related"]YouTube- Angry Video Gamer nerd Video Gameplay[/ame]
Featured Reviews
Read more
Big Red One

Frontline FPS action
Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 PM
funk wizard

Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd's Angry Video Game

Good review, but the game looks dull.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Regular Poster

CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

I was just laughing at the fact that this game actually exists...
Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Regular Poster

ECInc2XXX play's well with othersECInc2XXX play's well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ron36 View Post
I was just laughing at the fact that this game actually exists...
Yeah, me too. I didn't expect for this game to exist neither. :?D
Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

Well, it was a fan-made game.
And why do the graphics remind me of Action 52?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Forum lurker

Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

I knew about this for a bit now, looks retarded. Hopefully the Nerd don't really comment on it IN GAME.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Regular Poster

nesrocks is the posterchild for noob

The audio commentary looks edited. He didn't really have anything to do with this game.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Regular Poster

fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average

Yeah, I agree. Still, I'm intrigued.
Comment