Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Tips Tutorials, Walk-Throughs and FAQs
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > Tips

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial Display Modes
Published by krehztim
02-22-2015

Pitfall! for Atari 2600

The maximum score is 114,000 points. There are 255 unique screens, each slightly different than each other. You MUST use the underground passages and jump scorpions to gather all of the treasures before 20 minutes runs out. You cannot just head left or right and get to all 255 screens before 20 minutes is up. When the clock hits ZERO, your game is over. Touching any logs loses points. Falling down a hole loses points.

There are 32 treasures in total - 8 money bags, 8 silver, 8 gold, and 8 diamond rings. The game is more easily conquered by heading right at the start, and 5 screens after the first gold bar, go down and head left through the underground passage. After you jump 6 scorpions, you climb the ladder and head left. Heading left for the remainder of the game, except for 2 short doubling-backs to get treasures, is the best way to go, because it's the same direction as the rolling logs.
Tutorial Tools

Featured Tutorials
Old 02-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Regular Poster

CKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the darkCKF glows in the dark
Re: Pitfall! for Atari 2600

Never was able to finish Pitfall (didn't know the shortcuts and never took the time to figure it out), but I used to be able to finish Pitfall 2 on the 2600 and C-64 perfect (199,000 on both), so after I joined here, I did the 2600 one and Colecovision (C-64 isn't on here, but all 3 use the same map). I'm surprised nobody else has tried for a perfect on those two.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:38 PM
On Vacation
Donor
Game Mod
Administrator

krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

The first time I ever played Pitfall 2 was on here. I hope to get to it again in a few weeks, now that I've played it through and figured out the map. For Pitfall 1, I hand-drew all of the screens and figured out the best path when the game first came out on 2600 (my first console). Takes a lot of patience, especially when you hit a log near the end of the game, and you've wasted 15 minutes of perfection.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Regular Poster

Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

I'm wearing a pitfall shirt at the moment.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:28 PM
MY TITLE IS RED!

Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

I have a pitfall shirt but it hasn't fit me in a few years. Too much "muscle".
Old 02-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Regular Poster

Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have a pitfall shirt but it hasn't fit me in a few years. Too much "muscle".
Is it this one?:
Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 AM
MY TITLE IS RED!

Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

Yeah that one. Btw you're looking a lot skinnier and younger than I thought you'd look.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Yeah that one. Btw you're looking a lot skinnier and younger than I thought you'd look.
Not sure if that's a compliment.. Or should I be offended?
Old 02-24-2015, 04:27 PM
On Vacation
Donor
Game Mod
Administrator

krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

I think this is the shortest route - I just finished it in about 19:10. 50 seconds is the most time I've ever had left, and I've been doing this since I had the original console in the mid 80s.

1. From the start, head right.
2. After the first gold bar, go 5 more screens and head down the ladder then left. Screen has 1 rolling log.
3. Continuing left underground, jump 6 scorpions. When you get to the ladder, head up and then LEFT.
4. After the next treasure (money bag), go 3 more screens and head down the ladder and left. Screen should have 3 stationary logs.
5. Jump 2 scorpions, go up the ladder, then double-back RIGHT to fetch the diamond ring. As soon as you grab the ring, turn back LEFT, and on the 4th screen (with 2 moving logs), head down the ladder and to the left.
6. Jump 4 scorpions and head up the ladder, then LEFT.
7. Continue LEFT until you get the treasure that gives you a total of 33,000 points (assuming you haven't hit any logs). Continue left for 6 more screens, to the screen with 3 moving logs, and head DOWN and left.
8. Jump 1 scorpion and head up the ladder, and to the LEFT.
9. Continue LEFT for about 60 screens.
10. Once you grab the treasure that gives you a total of 69,000 points, go 2 screens (should have 3 moving logs), and head down the ladder and to the left.
11. Jump 7 scorpions, head up the ladder, and double-back to the RIGHT to fetch the money bag. Turn back around and head LEFT.
12. Continue LEFT for about 50 screens, until you get the treasure that gives you a total of 110,000 points (again, assuming you haven't touched any logs or fallen down any holes). On the 4th screen to the left after the treasure (should have 2 moving logs), head down the ladder and to the left. You need to have at least 30-40 seconds left or you won't make it.
13. Jump 3 scorpions, and head up the next ladder. Go RIGHT 3 screens to the last treasure, for a total of 114,000 points.

If any of you actually try this, and it's not right, let me know. Your timing throughout needs to be almost flawless. You will have to take a chance or two on catching swinging vines. Conserve as much time as possible - don't wait for the disappearing lakes to completely disappear before crossing - time your jumps from the edges as they begin to disappear. On the screens with just 3 crocs, you need to jump and cross within 1 cycle of them opening and closing their mouths, otherwise you'll waste precious seconds. You don't have time to jump on 1, wait for them to open and close, jump on the 2nd, wait for them to open and close, etc. Time it so you jump just before they close their mouths, and quickly jump across all 3 crocs before they open up again. Good luck to all!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
MY TITLE IS RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
Not sure if that's a compliment.. Or should I be offended?
I assumed that wasn't you so it was meant as a joke. If it's you then be offended I suppose.

Comments

Haha no it's not me
Comment