Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
RU Polls Official Retro Uprising Polls
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Support > Retro Uprising Support > RU Polls

View Poll Results: Should games without a score be score enabled using other factors?
Yes, the more score enabled games, the better. 159 51.46%
No, that doesn't seem realistic to me. 29 9.39%
I don't really play for high scores. 121 39.16%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #51
Regular Poster
26 posts
guppy is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 1
Points: 126, Level: 1 Points: 126, Level: 1 Points: 126, Level: 1
Level up: 68%
Level up: 68%, 24 Points needed Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

guppy

Re: Should we accept scores to be submitted in games that don't have a normal score?

Chess?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

......... ... to see is not to believe, to believe is to see ... .........

whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, either way you are right
Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #52
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

Re: Should we accept scores to be submitted in games that don't have a normal score?

How would you score chess?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #53
Regular Poster
26 posts
View Stats

guppy

Thanx DB

Did a bit of searching.

These point assignments seem standard.
When I play with my son and we don't have the time to finish a game,
We count the points for what each has captured.

Here are what the pieces are worth
Pawn 1 point (8x)
Knight 3 points (x2)
Bishop 3 points (x2)
Rook 5 points (x2)
Queen 9 points (x1)
King 0-200 points (?)

In reading just now,
The king is assigned various scores,
suggested as irrelevant, as capturing King wins the game.

I would suggest that the King should be worth 50.
The total of the other points is 39,
that would seem to be a relative value for the purpose of simple scoring.

If near the end of the game, it may become impossible to win.
This is determined by 20 moves total that there is no capture of pieces.
This is then a draw, stalemate, or tie.

Query whether the won game should be scored as 50-0,
or a total value of captured pieces.

A tie I think would be 25 each for the king, plus count of pieces.

To me the game is creative and fun.
I like the dance, and do not approach it as technical.

There is a much more complicated way of recording
called "Algebraic Notation", as I just learned.
(I loved finite math. Algebra is foggy, and calculus, couldn't get it.)

This wiki link has a very good explanation on scoring alternatives;
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_piece_relative_value"]Chess piece relative value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

This one is how to create a computer chess game.
and speaks to the scoring as well.
Writing chess software@Everything2.com

This is a forum link and in it refers to a book title:
how to create a chess game by using java.?? - Hot Scripts Forums

That should get you in the right direction.

Keep me posted.

Bon Nuit

Last edited by guppy; 10-06-2009 at 07:03 AM..

......... ... to see is not to believe, to believe is to see ... .........

whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, either way you are right
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #54
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63

Dudebro

Honestly I don't think scoring anything in that way is practical. Maybe others will disagree but I don't see it being enabled for scoring. Things need to be simple and clear(money, population).
Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #55
Regular Poster
26 posts
View Stats

guppy

Points per captured piece?

Je n'est ce qua?

In tournament, games are give 1, 1/2, and 0.
(win, tie, loose)

Last edited by guppy; 10-06-2009 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #56
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Unless the game had some kind of numerical tally for pieces captured or some other measurement I don't see it being included. I hate to just shut your idea down but I don't see it happening. Can't hurt to discuss it though.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #57
Regular Poster
26 posts
View Stats

guppy

I think the bracketed numbers beside this column made it appear
more complicated than I had intended.

I had meant to indicate how many of each piece there was,
IE: eight pawns, two knights, etc.

Without the confusion, this is the point value:

Pawn 1 point
Knight 3 points
Bishop 3 points
Rook 5 points
Queen 9 point
King 0-200 points

I suggest 50 for the King.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #58
Donor
815 posts
Smittycal is kissing everybody's bum just rightSmittycal is kissing everybody's bum just rightSmittycal is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,364, Level: 23 Points: 7,364, Level: 23 Points: 7,364, Level: 23
Level up: 15%
Level up: 15%, 686 Points needed Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Smittycal

Not to be a downer either but a point system in chess isnt really needed. You could technically have a higher score then the other person and still lose the game. Normally scores in chess matches are just to sort out the looser brackets in tournaments.Plus I know of a few gambits where its a 3 move checkmate.

Now that being said I dont think there is anything wrong with scoring it. The winner could also have a high score as well but in a game where its a win/ loose situation the focus wont be on scoring it will be on winning.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

I wouldnt mind seeing scores turned on for Retro Uprising - Arcade - Zed Blade / Operation Ragnarok

Its a pretty fun game IMO
http://www.scuffletown.org/wp-content/image/neverends1.gif
Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #59
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

RU Joe

Guppy:
Quote:
Chess?
You would say that.

Also,
Quote:
Je n'est ce qua?
means
'I was this qua?'
I believe you meant to say
Je ne sais quoi.

C'est déjà bien assez que la plupart d'entre nous sur ce site ne parlent pas le français, mais....
Par pitié, demandez à votre droite Française ou au moins avoir la décence d'utiliser le traducteur de Google!
Nous mai commencer à penser que vous n'êtes pas Canadien ...
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #60
Regular Poster
486 posts
OldTimer is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,545, Level: 12 Points: 1,545, Level: 12 Points: 1,545, Level: 12
Level up: 9%
Level up: 9%, 455 Points needed Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

OldTimer

I agree with the points made here about score enabling 'no score' games.

What about games that have no reference point like score, money or even a timer? Would it be possible to make these games time trial based somehow? I don't know if it would be even possible without watching a movie made of you playing the game to make sure no level selects and warping. Then maybe even the score disabled games could be still used.

Putting a timer on the game window pop up would be time consuming and Kong definately has better uses with his time. Just a thought.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #61
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Kong

To see who can beat a game fastest? That is a plan but it is low priority so it wont be done for a while.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 AM   #62
Regular Poster
2,160 posts
oasis has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 34
Points: 17,868, Level: 34 Points: 17,868, Level: 34 Points: 17,868, Level: 34
Level up: 20%
Level up: 20%, 882 Points needed Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

oasis

@kong Awesome

@everyone else about 5 posts back starting with Chess?

chess wont be enabled because that would mean that I have to look at the screenshot you submit for a score and do the math myself. and I need a pencil and paper to do math most of the time so that is just way to much of a hassle

other games that use non conventional score is the debate of this topic. and I am for it as long as it is easy for us mods to tell what the score is and it can be compared mathematically
List of Games I have Beaten Click Here
Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #63
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Yeah Oasis is right, anything score enabled must be clear cut and simple to understand. It's not just about the mods dealing with the confusion but also normal users seeing some confusing mess and losing interest in the site.

Also smitty had a really good point about chess specifically-
Quote:
You could technically have a higher score then the other person and still lose the game.
I see this as the main reason chess can't be enabled. A score shouldn't be awarded for doing things that aren't part of winning or doing well. Like using money for score on an RPG, it shows some level of progress but it doesn't reflect how well you did at the game by any means.

Last edited by Dudebro; 10-07-2009 at 03:29 AM..
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #64
Regular Poster
398 posts
justinm26 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 11
Points: 1,411, Level: 11 Points: 1,411, Level: 11 Points: 1,411, Level: 11
Level up: 56%
Level up: 56%, 89 Points needed Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

justinm26

personally i think using something like money or something else that isn't actually a "score" is kinda pointless. if they were enabled they would have to be farms.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #65
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65

Kong

There are other things besides money. Like Mortal Kombat uses level. Enduro Racer uses time to beat the game. Neither are farmable. I can't think of any off the top of my head but there are some where money works real well as a score. You have to do it on a case by case basis. Sometimes it is good sometimes it isn't.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #66
Regular Poster
398 posts
View Stats

justinm26

that's very true kong but there are thousands of games on here yet that still aren't score enabled. a vast majority of those have actual scores
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #67
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm26 View Post
personally i think using something like money or something else that isn't actually a "score" is kinda pointless.
As long as we're smart about which games we enable it won't be pointless. I think the more score enabled games the better. I'm sure a lot of people like coming to RU for the high score board. We're constantly losing games due to farming issues and/or cheats so we need to add more games to the scoring system to keep it diverse.

Quote:
I can't think of any off the top of my head but there are some where money works real well as a score
Retro Uprising - Arcade - Dragon Crystal - Highscores
This is the only way to judge this game really. Money can be random but getting a lot of it shows you've explored every floor and didn't continue(since it takes money to do so). Btw this game is too awesome for only three people to submit scores. I hope by mentioning it others will take notice.

Retro Uprising - Arcade - Aerobiz - Highscores
This game uses passengers as score. It's an airline sim so passenger totals are very important to accomplishing anything in game. Money was considered by it's too easy to farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm
that's very true kong but there are thousands of games on here yet that still aren't score enabled. a vast majority of those have actual scores
If you see any that should be considered please let the game mods know and they'll double check and enable it if possible.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #68
Regular Poster
398 posts
View Stats

justinm26

dudebro, while i may have the time to make that list, that would be a lot of work. by the thousands of games i mostly meant the coin-ops and gameboy games that haven't been enabled. besides, you realize how long that list would be? i'm too lazy to do all that. sorry.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #69
Donor
912 posts
Dojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 416 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Dojah

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm26 View Post
dudebro, while i may have the time to make that list, that would be a lot of work. by the thousands of games i mostly meant the coin-ops and gameboy games that haven't been enabled. besides, you realize how long that list would be? i'm too lazy to do all that. sorry.
I am in the process of enabling the GameBoy games. This Tournament has taken up much of my time so I will be getting back to that pretty much now actually. I'll try to have every GameBoy game done within this next two weeks so be on the lookout.

I think what Dudebro was saying is if you happen to see a game that could be enabled just let one of the mods know and it would probably be enabled quicker than later.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #70
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
View Stats

Kong

I'll be doing the Coin-Op games after the contest.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #71
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

I'll get to working on bringing more famicom translastions here as soon as the wife is better.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #72
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojah View Post
I think what Dudebro was saying is if you happen to see a game that could be enabled just let one of the mods know and it would probably be enabled quicker than later.
Yeah that's what I meant. If you see any just mention it to get the ball rolling. Dojah has gameboy covered soon and Kong will be doing coin op so ignore those since they'll notice them anyways.
I've been checking for farms more than anything else but I'll start checking for new high score ones to help out.

Btw you did bring up a good point. We should definitely focus on normal score games before we worry about unusual ones.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #73
Regular Poster
5,044 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 46
Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46
Level up: 7%
Level up: 7%, 1,406 Points needed Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

CatalystiCam

SOS = time trials, you start out with a 60 minute timer showing something like "56:32" 4 digits, I noticed yesterday when playing on my SNES, at the end of the credits, it freezes on a black screen and shows "fin" in the middle of the screen & how much time it took you in the bottom right. I'm not sure if that's time you had left or how much time you took. I'll have to play through it again after school to clarify.

Edit: it is pretty fair because every time you die, you get shown how much time is left & that you lose 5 minutes due to dieing, this could easily work, and it would help in the tournament I'm in with the bagel bros.

Last edited by CatalystiCam; 10-08-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #74
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 77,506, Level: 61 Points: 77,506, Level: 61 Points: 77,506, Level: 61
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,044 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Winnebagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
I'll be doing the Coin-Op games after the contest.
Slightly OT, but not completely, will most Coin-Op games have full mode and score mode? I mention it because most games in the contest have had both options, but not Lup Lup Puzzle, Rampart, SFII Turbo, or Wonder Boy In Monster Land. Will those be added for full mode at some point, or are they not able to be? I ask because I think there are some people who would probably like to finish these games versus just playing them in competition mode where it's unlikely that someone could finish the entire game on one coin.

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #75
Regular Poster
5,044 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 46
Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46
Level up: 7%
Level up: 7%, 1,406 Points needed Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

CatalystiCam

SOS Screenshot I just took, It shows that I took 7 minutes and 25 seconds to beat it, I know my way around this game

Please enable it.

Last edited by CatalystiCam; 10-08-2009 at 04:32 PM..