Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #76
TrakMastaTom's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom
 
TrakMastaTom

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
I don't think just because you're doing graffiti make you a part of the hip hop culture.
I don't either. Not all graffiti is hip hop culture, but some of it is.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #77
laserboy1134's Avatar
Regular Poster
612 posts
laserboy1134 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
laserboy1134

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

No, doing graffiti just makes you a wannabe bad ass because you wrote the F word on a bench.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
<br />Help me raise my Habamon!<br /><br /><br /><br />Link: Well Exscuuuse Me princess!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #78
sezthemank's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,584 posts
sezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Send a message via Yahoo to sezthemank
 
sezthemank

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

some is art
some is vandalism

some are "no parking" signs
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #79
Kevin's Avatar
 
Kevin

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserboy1134 View Post
No, doing graffiti just makes you a wannabe bad ass because you wrote the F word on a bench.
Now that's just flat out childish.

Most graffiti in Detroit is painted on buildings that have been vacant for 10, 20 and in some cases, 30+ years. Buildings that have been stripped clean of every copper pipe and wire.... buildings that will never see the light of day and need to go. There is just to many of these delapatated (sp?) buildings scattered throughout the city. It's a shame really.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #80
sezthemank's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,584 posts
sezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Send a message via Yahoo to sezthemank
 
sezthemank

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Now that's just flat out childish.

Most graffiti in Detroit is painted on buildings that have been vacant for 10, 20 and in some cases, 30+ years. Buildings that have been stripped clean of every copper pipe and wire.... buildings that will never see the light of day and need to go. There is just to many of these delapatated (sp?) buildings scattered throughout the city. It's a shame really.

same over here in the UK
loads of houses that are boarded up have been sprayed with arty pics
some even have motivational things on them like
"no matter how long it takes, the end result is worth it!"
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #81
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom View Post
I don't either. Not all graffiti is hip hop culture, but some of it is.
I'd say the majority is, at least from my experience.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #82
TrakMastaTom's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom
 
TrakMastaTom

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserboy1134 View Post
No, doing graffiti just makes you a wannabe bad ass because you wrote the F word on a bench.
Way to be open minded. Kudos.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #83
thedarkhalfv2's Avatar
New Poster
1 posts
thedarkhalfv2 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
thedarkhalfv2

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

I agree with TMT,rap/hip-hop in general has changed,from growing up listening to KRS-One,and so forth,list goes along way,but rap/hip-hop standards are too commercialized,there are only a handful of rappers that actually do a good job on the mic.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #84
laserboy1134's Avatar
Regular Poster
612 posts
laserboy1134 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
laserboy1134

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Being a rapper requires much more talent than people realize. As an aspiring rapper, I will tell you that it is incredibly hard to find the perfect beat for your voice, to find the right voice to rap in, and to make your lyrics rhyme on every verse.
If you really like music, you can still dislike genres, but you cannot claim to be a fan of music if you don't show respect for the genre. Personally, I hate hardcore metal, but I realize how difficult it is to scream and play instruments as hard and loud as metal musicians do.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
<br />Help me raise my Habamon!<br /><br /><br /><br />Link: Well Exscuuuse Me princess!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #85
sezthemank's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,584 posts
sezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Send a message via Yahoo to sezthemank
 
sezthemank

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserboy1134 View Post
Being a rapper requires much more talent than people realize. As an aspiring rapper, I will tell you that it is incredibly hard to find the perfect beat for your voice, to find the right voice to rap in, and to make your lyrics rhyme on every verse.
If you really like music, you can still dislike genres, but you cannot claim to be a fan of music if you don't show respect for the genre. Personally, I hate hardcore metal, but I realize how difficult it is to scream and play instruments as hard and loud as metal musicians do.

Totally agree!
Writing a whole rap song takes a lot more time, effort and skill then writing one of these silly ass pop songs you hear today.

I dont think hip hop is dead, I just think its in a coma!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Ok My Sig might not be as epic ,
But my dawggg Is
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #86
laserboy1134's Avatar
Regular Poster
612 posts
laserboy1134 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
laserboy1134

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sezthemank View Post
Totally agree!
Writing a whole rap song takes a lot more time, effort and skill then writing one of these silly ass pop songs you hear today.

I dont think hip hop is dead, I just think its in a coma!
The problem is that all rappers talk about now is money and sex. That's understandable, like P. Diddy said about Biggie Smalls "Rap about prison and shooting you get killed, that's why I rap about money"
Another problem is that rappers don't want to get political anymore. That's why rock musicians attack rap for being a collection of cusses that rhyme.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
<br />Help me raise my Habamon!<br /><br /><br /><br />Link: Well Exscuuuse Me princess!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #87
powerfullove's Avatar
Regular Poster
87 posts
powerfullove is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
powerfullove

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sezthemank View Post
Totally agree!
Writing a whole rap song takes a lot more time, effort and skill then writing one of these silly ass pop songs you hear today.

I dont think hip hop is dead, I just think its in a coma!
I like hip hop and all, but it's also along my least favorite genres. I agree, writing music with good rhyme and feel is hard and all, but really, get yourself a rhyming dictionary and do it yourself. All rapping is is poetry with a drum machine and a few keyboards.

This why I appreciate music like Progressive Metal. Instead of playing the same keyboard riff over and over again, these amazing musicians like Dream Theater put an amazing amount of time into writing music for 7+ minute songs. Rap artists are great and all, but they put nowhere near as much effort into creating music than a very talented acoustic band dies.

I like te genre, I think it's good and all, but I love listening to a more complexly structured music genre.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #88
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Good to see you back on RU PFL, I have to disagree about what you said though. Some people do put a lot of effort into thier rap/hip hop songs, how long a song is has nothing to do with effort or talent. Personally I think a lot of rock songs are BS because they have something like 5 minutes of guitar or drum solo but that's my opinion.

In the end this is all about personal prefrences. I'm not a huge fan of rap but some of it is beautiful.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #89
sezthemank's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,584 posts
sezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their headsezthemank has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Send a message via Yahoo to sezthemank
 
sezthemank

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I'm not a huge fan of rap but some of it is beautiful.
That sounds poetic in its self.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Ok My Sig might not be as epic ,
But my dawggg Is
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #90
powerfullove's Avatar
Regular Poster
87 posts
powerfullove is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
powerfullove

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Good to see you back on RU PFL, I have to disagree about what you said though. Some people do put a lot of effort into thier rap/hip hop songs, how long a song is has nothing to do with effort or talent. Personally I think a lot of rock songs are BS because they have something like 5 minutes of guitar or drum solo but that's my opinion.

In the end this is all about personal prefrences. I'm not a huge fan of rap but some of it is beautiful.
First of all, thank you. It's nice to be back. As many of you probably already understand EVG isn't doing so great, so I thought, what the hell, might as well move onto to other things.

Next, it most certainly does take more effort to write a longer song. Longer song = More music = More Lyrics = More effort. A band trying to write a longer song isn't just going to stop in the middle of a song during recording for a few minutes of just silence, say "oh, this counts as part of the song." and be well-received. It just doesn't work that way.

But I have to agree with you when you said it all depends on what genre fits you.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #91
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

I think there's a difference between length of a song and actual talent. A lot of long songs I hear just fill time with many repeats of the chorus or extended guitar/drum solos(followed by more chorus). Each song needs to be judged individually, rap included.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #92
laserboy1134's Avatar
Regular Poster
612 posts
laserboy1134 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
laserboy1134

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I think there's a difference between length of a song and actual talent. A lot of long songs I hear just fill time with many repeats of the chorus or extended guitar/drum solos(followed by more chorus). Each song needs to be judged individually, rap included.
I agree completely.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
<br />Help me raise my Habamon!<br /><br /><br /><br />Link: Well Exscuuuse Me princess!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #93
Timber Wolf's Avatar
Regular Poster
757 posts
Timber Wolf is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via Yahoo to Timber Wolf
 
Timber Wolf

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

PFL, Welcome Back! We were wondering where you snuck off to, I'm not a big fan of rap, but I'll admit there is some degree of effort put into old hip-hop, and I can honestly say I like some of the old stuff, but to me the new stuff has no soul or meaning, kind of like some genres of metal, it's the same crap flooding the market that has no soul and it takes wading through the waves of crap to find clean water(if you get the metaphor...not a great one I know )
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
"...The people living there know thirst, hunger, disease, they suffer all these things and in the end, they grow old and die. But for one brief moment they shine as bright as the sun, because they know these hardships, they also know the meaning of happiness..."
Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #94
powerfullove's Avatar
Regular Poster
87 posts
powerfullove is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
powerfullove

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
PFL, Welcome Back! We were wondering where you snuck off to, I'm not a big fan of rap, but I'll admit there is some degree of effort put into old hip-hop, and I can honestly say I like some of the old stuff, but to me the new stuff has no soul or meaning, kind of like some genres of metal, it's the same crap flooding the market that has no soul and it takes wading through the waves of crap to find clean water(if you get the metaphor...not a great one I know )
No, I completely understand. There's good things out there, but it takes a lot of effort to find something that's really good.

What you said is pretty correct. Today's music is all about rushing to get the most albums out that you can, for all genres of music. Hardly and band spends time to fill and enrich their music as much as possible instead of being like the rest of the market and just putting out loads of pathetic music. It just takes a little looking around to find something that's good for you.

@ Dudebro: You're right. There are a lot of bands that will just repeat riffs to fill up time, sometimes way more than what is neccessary. But there are bands that do try to make great music. And again, a band that keeps coming to my mind as I write this is Dream Theater, specifically a song called Octavarium. Now, it is about 24 minutes long, and I don't know if you like this kind of music, but when you listen to it, you have to admit that it's not a load of regurgitated crap.

Last edited by powerfullove; 07-22-2009 at 11:09 PM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #95
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
But there are bands that do try to make great music.
Yeah, this goes for rap too. I think your view is bias because you dislike rap. It's like me trying to be impartial about Country or ICP, it just won't happen.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #96
powerfullove's Avatar
Regular Poster
87 posts
powerfullove is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
powerfullove

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Yeah, this goes for rap too. I think your view is bias because you dislike rap. It's like me trying to be impartial about Country or ICP, it just won't happen.
I understand there's good rap. You're previous post was referring to "guitar/drum solos" Therefore I assumed you were talking about rock bands and such, and I responded to that. And how exactly am I being bias? I never once said rap sucks, I just stared it's not thing for me. I didn't address rap being good, that's not being bias, I never said it was bad.

Last edited by powerfullove; 07-22-2009 at 11:48 PM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #97
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Sorry I was referring to this when I said the bias thing-
Quote:
I like hip hop and all, but it's also along my least favorite genres. I agree, writing music with good rhyme and feel is hard and all, but really, get yourself a rhyming dictionary and do it yourself. All rapping is is poetry with a drum machine and a few keyboards.
It seems like you're making light of the style. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I was just trying understand why you don't think rap takes as much effort as other music. No offense intended.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #98
Timber Wolf's Avatar
Regular Poster
757 posts
Timber Wolf is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via Yahoo to Timber Wolf
 
Timber Wolf

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

lol he's not the only bias one, I have a strong dislike of rap, most of the time I won't tolerate listening to it, in fact I can go as far as to say I hate it. I personally don't think it takes much either, but there are songs and bands that do a good job making music, but just as many people hate metal and would say the same thing, and I would be ready to jump to it's defense, just as rap fans jump to defend rap, it's part of liking a certain genre there will always be critics and haters
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
"...The people living there know thirst, hunger, disease, they suffer all these things and in the end, they grow old and die. But for one brief moment they shine as bright as the sun, because they know these hardships, they also know the meaning of happiness..."
Old 07-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #99
Gucifer's Avatar
New Poster
1 posts
Gucifer is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to Gucifer
 
Gucifer

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

yup i used to listen to rap n hip hop my whole life but my musical taste has evovled from such primitive n close minded music
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #100
laserboy1134's Avatar
Regular Poster
612 posts
laserboy1134 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
laserboy1134

Re: Rap and hip hop and why it's not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucifer View Post
yup i used to listen to rap n hip hop my whole life but my musical taste has evovled from such primitive n close minded music
So by being closed minded toward a genre of music your music taste has evolved. That doesn't make much sense to me.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
<br />Help me raise my Habamon!<br /><br /><br /><br />Link: Well Exscuuuse Me princess!
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any new (good) anime DoctorRyanB1 Chat 4 01-11-2009 05:27 PM
Looking for a good Platformer ARedLetterDay RU Games 15 01-03-2009 08:18 PM
Looking for good RPG's to play on RU craigms1968 RU Games 13 11-03-2008 11:35 PM
Good bye david man45 Chat 41 04-18-2008 04:33 PM
Good to be back Rune5 Introduce Yourself 4 01-08-2008 07:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.

» vBadvanced CMPS