Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > All Other Games

View Poll Results: The Best Retro Zapper Game?
Adventures of Bayou Billy, The 3 6.25%
Barker Bill's Trick Shooting 1 2.08%
Duck Hunt 26 54.17%
Gotcha! 4 8.33%
Hogan's Alley 7 14.58%
Lone Ranger, The 1 2.08%
Shooting Range 0 0%
Wild Gunman 6 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Kong

The best Retro Light Gun Game?

Adventures of Bayou Billy, The
Your best girl Annabelle has been kidnapped by the evil Gordon, the "gangster king of Bourbon Street", and as Bayou Billy it is your job to get her back! Bayou Billy as an arcade action game with three different types of gameplay: fighting, shooting, and driving. The fighting sections take place in both swamps and cities, where you can punch, kick, and jump kick the numerous enemies (and swamp creatures!) you will encounter. The shooting section can be played with either the Nintendo Light Zapper or the controller. You have a limited amount of ammo to get through the level, and if you run out you lose a life. In the driving section your jeep is armed with machine guns and grenades to help get past the many enemy vehicles on the way to your destination. There is a total of nine levels, or you can play in the practice mode which lets you choose to play a fighting, shooting, or driving round individually.

Barker Bill's Trick Shooting
Pull out the Zapper Light Gun, and blast a variety of objects in Barker Bill's Trick Shooting. The game starts out simple enough; shoot rising balloons while avoiding the happy-go-lucky dog. As you get through each stage, the challenges become more difficult. Each level offers a new challenge, including Balloon Saloon, Flying Saucers, Window Pains and Fun Follies.

Duck Hunt
In Duck Hunt you need to use the Nintendo's light zapper to shoot ducks which your trusty dog scares out of the swamp. Either one or two ducks fly out at a time, and you have three shots and a limited amount of time to shoot the ducks before they fly away. Each round only allows a limited number of misses in order to move on successfully. As the rounds progress, the ducks begin flying faster and faster, and fewer misses are allowed. After you've mastered hunting ducks, you can move on to the target range and practice shooting clay pigeons. The rules here are the same with only three shots to destroy two clay pigeons before they disappear off the horizon. Destroy enough clay pigeons to move on to the next, tougher round.

Gotcha!
Point and Click Zapper action. Gotcha the Sport is a capture-the-flag style game played with paint ball guns. Your mission is to get through the level, capture the enemy flag by shooting it, and return it to your base. All while trying not to get shot by the other team, or run out of ammo. Graphically, I would have to say Gotcha was designed and implemented fairly well. The backgrounds and characters are detailed and well-drawn, and the animation is clean. The real disappointment here is that they only bothered to make three levels, which loop indefinitely.

The sounds and music in Gotcha the Sport are nothing special, you might end up muting this one after a while. Gotcha is one of the few Light Gun games which allows you to control where you move as targets present themselves. This requires a bit of ambidexterity when holding a controller in one hand and a Zapper in the other, but using the mouse actually makes it easier. Getting the flag and making it back home gives you something to do besides just endlessly shoot up the other team, which adds significantly to the fun of the game. Also you can choose whether to concentrate on shooting as many as you can, or just getting the flag as quickly as possible. Of course, you are on a time limit so you can't just stop and wait to shoot everyone you see.
Accuracy is pretty important because you have limited ammo, but ammo is available during the game. Ammo boxes can be found sitting on the ground or carried by enemies in the background. Interestingly, it seems that only misses cost you ammo, so if you always hit you'll get a huge bonus for leftover ammunition.

Hogan's Alley
This game involves the use of the Nintendo Light Zapper, and has, truly, no plot. You are in the police station doing target practice, either with three targets at a time with at least one innocent person, or in an alley with both good and bad targets in windows and walking on the sidewalk. Then there's Trick Shot, where you shoot the cans, trying to make them land in a slot for points, or at least not let them fall to the ground.

Lone Ranger, The
The Lone Ranger Rides Again! Butch Cavendish, the outlaw who killed our hero's brother and brothers-in-arms, has now kidnapped the President of the United States! Now you must ride out on a mission of rescue and vengeance, as the Lone Ranger. Save the President and defeat the villain who destroyed the Texas Rangers!
The Lone Ranger game uses both the control pad and the light gun. Once you get the hang of it, it's a really fun game. Walk around talking to townspeople and killing the Cavendish Gang members. There are doctors in town if you are wounded, and a gun shop. Keep well stocked in bullets, and you can also buy better weapons and Dynamite. The stages that were designed for the light gun can be done with the control pad but it gets pretty hectic, since it takes time to move the cursor around the screen.

Shooting Range

Wild Gunman
As a lawman in the old west, you carry around a tin star and your NES Zapper. Your goal to to chase down outlaws and then win out over them in a fast-draw competition. Simply put, wait for your opponent to say "Fire" and then shoot first and shoot fast to win.

Wild Gunman can be played against one bandit, two bandits or in Gang mode where you shoot them as they appear in the doors and windows of an old saloon.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

I'm torn between Hogan's Alley and Barker Bill's Trick Shooting. Guess I'll vote for both.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 369 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom

TrakMastaTom

As nostalgin as Duck Hunt is, it's gotta be Hogan's Alley.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Kong

Duck Hunt is the most famous but I think it is the worst game on the list. Mind numbing repeating levels that go on forever.

I liked the Sega counterpart - Safari Hunt - slightly more. At least it had a cool sound track and three different repeating levels.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats

TrakMastaTom

I've always thought all games that involve shooting things are the same game in a different place.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom View Post
I've always thought all games that involve shooting things are the same game in a different place.
There are two games that take the Light Gun in a new direction. The Adventures of Bayou Billy and The Lone Ranger. Unfortunately both of them were lacking in other aspects of gaming.

Also, Wild Gunmen does it slightly different. It lets you play out a "10 paces at high noon" scenario.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
View Stats

TrakMastaTom

In Gumshow, didn't you shoot your character to make him jump or something? That was a little different.

And I wasn't just talking light gun for NES. I was talking all games ever that involve shooting people or things.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Regular Poster
210 posts
Tekkaman is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 5
Points: 583, Level: 5 Points: 583, Level: 5 Points: 583, Level: 5
Level up: 89%
Level up: 89%, 17 Points needed Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Send a message via AIM to Tekkaman

Tekkaman

For my main vote, I've got to give mad props to Hogan's Alley. Not only did that game have a pretty neat concept for the main story, it had the best sub-game of it's time; the can shooter! Man, me and my relatives and friends would play that for hours just trying to see who could get the best score on that silly thing. It was terrific.

My sub-vote belongs to Duck Hunt. Sure, it's repetetive and doesn't have much in the way of a soundtrack, but it was the pioneer of the genre for home consoles. It will always have a special place in my heart, especially since I had to buy mine when I was a kid. I didn't get that blasted 2-in-1 cart with SMB and Duck Hunt on it like all you whipper-snappers who bought it later in its life. Back when Light Zappers were grey, not red. :mrgreen:
&quot;Wait a second!&nbsp; I know that monkey.&nbsp; His name is Donkey.&quot;<br />&quot;Monkeys aren't donkeys!&nbsp; Quit messing with my head!&quot;<br />
Old 03-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
View Stats

TrakMastaTom

I have a gray light gun, but I have SMB/Duck Hunt on one cartridge.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
Regular Poster
238 posts
Tagen is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 9
Points: 929, Level: 9 Points: 929, Level: 9 Points: 929, Level: 9
Level up: 15%
Level up: 15%, 171 Points needed Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Tagen

Definitely Duck Hunt, it's a classic!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Regular Poster
133 posts
NintendoNerds is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 5
Points: 525, Level: 5 Points: 525, Level: 5 Points: 525, Level: 5
Level up: 50%
Level up: 50%, 75 Points needed Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

NintendoNerds

Re: The best Retro Light Gun Game?

Gotcha! with Duck Hunt being a close 2nd.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Regular Poster
398 posts
V ideoY3K has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 11
Points: 1,373, Level: 11 Points: 1,373, Level: 11 Points: 1,373, Level: 11
Level up: 37%
Level up: 37%, 127 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

V ideoY3K

Re: The best Retro Light Gun Game?

Duck Hunt is the rememberable game of all of it's genre. Wild Gunman is my favorite. I only played it once, but boy was it fun.

If the Dreamcast count as retro nowadays, Virtua Cop deserves mention as well. Good times.
&quot;Witness the true art of war... or something to that effect&quot;.<br />- Shingen Takeda<br />&nbsp; Samurai Warriors