Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #26
Regular Poster
470 posts
Hobbes is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 10
Points: 1,170, Level: 10 Points: 1,170, Level: 10 Points: 1,170, Level: 10
Level up: 35%
Level up: 35%, 130 Points needed Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via MSN to Hobbes

Hobbes

Re: java atari 2600 emulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
The point is Atari didn't really care about staying true to the game itself. It's just about rushing the game out so people will buy it.

Ever heard of the E.T. game for atari 2600? It's considered the worst game ever made. It's also the game that basically sunk Atari as a home console company.

Actually reading wikipedia about this Pac Man it says combined with E.T. it caused the downfall of Atari and hurt the video game industry overall.
Thanks alot Atari.
Now its on...

A) Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 doesn't look like that because it was rushed. The 2600 had a VERY limited graphical engine. About half as powerful as the Colecovision. The system is incapable of making small round objects because of its incredibly low PPI.

B) E.T. is only considered the worst game ever made by internet noobs, new-school fanboys, and losers who hopped on the bandwagon because they have no idea what they're talking about. E.T. was a masterpiece for the 2600, arguably the best or second-best game on the system and was the first to introduced many new elements to video gaming.

C) E.T. didn't sink the Atari 2600. E.T. was introduced unfortunately right before the crash and flopped because of it and a media blitzkrieg.

D) The Great Crash of '82 was caused by three main factors;
1. An over-saturated market with, count 'em, 13 consoles, each with their own library.
2. The introduction to affordable personal computers, each supporting games themselves.
3. A spiraling price-war

Your Wiki is wrong in this instance.
Figured you'd show up, I thought of you when I read the above's post.

Oh and BTW Wiki can, and many time is, useless, it can be bias, inaccurate, or incomplete.

I had a 2600, and still might, I wonder what my parents did with it...
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #27
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing why you think it's not horrible.
A sore spot indeed. I hate people bashing this game just because of what they've read other say about it.

Not only do I believe it's not horrible, it is my favorite game on the 2600, closely followed by Adventure.

E.T. had an actual goal or quest to complete. One of the very first console games to have an actual plot line. Its also one of the very first console games to have an ending. It introduced the ideas of secret areas and human interaction to the video gaming world. The world you explored was quite large and the graphics were very above par for the 2600. When this game was introduced it was highly revolutionary.

E.T. effectively pushed the 2600 to its limits. One of the last "advanced" carts for the system it received amazing reviews as it well deserved from gaming critics. Atari mass produced the cart in millions but unfortunately two little things happened. The Crash of '82 followed by the introduction of a tiny thing you might have heard about, the NES.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #28
Regular Poster
248 posts
somedude21 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 11
Points: 1,356, Level: 11 Points: 1,356, Level: 11 Points: 1,356, Level: 11
Level up: 28%
Level up: 28%, 144 Points needed Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

somedude21

So anyway, back to topic for once:

So should we add the emulator here? (its Kong's decision really)
Old 06-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #29
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

Guys. Seriously. I know wikipedia isn't 100% fact. But if you got another website with tons of info on tons of subjects that's fact checked(not as much as people would like but still) please let me know. Also if you guys want to help Wikipedia you could correct the mistakes rather than just throw the site out altogether.

@Tenser- Like I said I didn't play the game alot way back then so I don't know the details you know. I won't dispute your points because it sounds like your right. Doesn't change the fact that to most gamers E.T. sucked big time. And you really can't lump all gamers into groups like losers/internet fanboys just because they don't agree about an ancient game that the majority of people don't like. Well you can but that makes you look stupid.

Sorry if I've poked you in your sore spot, I'm glad you took the time to list the good points about the game. If I'm wrong about something I'd like to know why.

I guess this is just an unlucky game.

@everyone else- Yeah we went off topic alittle. My bad.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #30
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63

Kugyince

Quote:
@Tenser- Like I said I didn't play the game alot way back then so I don't know the details you know.
Exactly why its become a bit of a sore spot with me. People just dismissing a great game out of a couple plays when they were kids. Or comparing it to newer systems and/or jumping on some ridiculous bandwagon that makes it "internet cool" to make fun of this game.

Quote:
I won't dispute your points because it sounds like your right.
I usually am about these things.

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that to most gamers E.T. sucked big time.
For the reasons mentioned above 95% of the time.

Quote:
And you really can't lump all gamers into groups like losers/internet fanboys just because they don't agree about an ancient game that the majority of people don't like.
Of course I can. In fact I just did, multiple times. Expect me to do so in the future as well.

Quote:
Well you can but that makes you look stupid.
Better to look stupid then to blindly follow the heard like some sheep because its become "net fashionable" instead of forming my own, unbiased opinion about a subject. I'll opt for the appearance of stupid any day.

Quote:
Sorry if I've poked you in your sore spot, I'm glad you took the time to list the good points about the game. If I'm wrong about something I'd like to know why.
Not at all, you said earlier you wanted to be Tekka's replacement. ;D

Old 06-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #31
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 369 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom

TrakMastaTom

Did you guys know they are making a movie about Atari's story, starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Nolan Bushnell? Or so I hear...

True story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245456/
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:42 AM   #32
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Tails

TMT, that will have to be the worst movie ever..

Old 06-21-2008, 04:32 AM   #33
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63

Dudebro

Sorry to keep derailing this topic but I wanna say a couple more things.
I don't want you to get the impression I'm basing my opinion on just a couple plays 20 yrs ago Tenser. I've seen the gameplay videos recently and it confirmed my memory. I hated just about everything in that game.
To me this is kinda like the FF7 debate. One side says it's an awesome game and the other says it's the worst piece of crap they've ever played.
For the record I liked FF7, how about you?

Also I got an atari still at my dads house I think. If I find E.T. with it I should make a video of me shooting it with a pellet gun.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #34
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62

Tails

i think this topic has been derailed since your post a page back, anyways will it include your angry face

Old 06-21-2008, 05:19 AM   #35
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Kong

I will ask the creator of the emulator if he wants his work to appear here.

I think the main reason why people today think E.T. was horrible is because millions of E.T. cartridges were never sold and just ended up in land fills. That was because 1. they made too many copies and 2. the Atari crashed on it's own at the same time.

I think games of that era had a problem with misleading advertising - they didn't show images of the games or tell you anything about the game play. They usually just showed you the story performed by actors.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...37719629644334 - fails to mention that there are new game elements that Tenser mentioned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml13x8aRP_k - this is what most NES commercials looked like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeYu8CvKW-g - SNES Final Fantasy 3. Not a single image of the game or mention that of game play style.

I've noticed several negative Wikipedia comments recently. There has never once in history been something as unbiased, open, honest, accurate and complete as Wikipedia. There are mistakes but nothing compared Fox News and other major info sources.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #36
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
View Stats

Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
I will ask the creator of the emulator if he wants his work to appear here.

I think the main reason why people today think E.T. was horrible is because millions of E.T. cartridges were never sold and just ended up in land fills. That was because 1. they made too many copies and 2. the Atari crashed on it's own at the same time.

I think games of that era had a problem with misleading advertising - they didn't show images of the games or tell you anything about the game play. They usually just showed you the story performed by actors.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...37719629644334 - fails to mention that there are new game elements that Tenser mentioned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml13x8aRP_k - this is what most NES commercials looked like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeYu8CvKW-g - SNES Final Fantasy 3. Not a single image of the game or mention that of game play style.

I've noticed several negative Wikipedia comments recently. There has never once in history been something as unbiased, open, honest, accurate and complete as Wikipedia. There are mistakes but nothing compared Fox News and other major info sources.
just to touch on the wiki subject.. its banned from papers when i attended my high school saying its not acurate.. do you think wiki should be allowed in papers? Also about NES commercials.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS1DgJkOpP0 This is Double Dragon 2 and 3 commercials.. i agree with you just saying buy this game, don't tell features and little to no game play.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #37
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65

Kong

Wikipedia is a research tool and should not be listed as a source in a report. WP is supposed to give sources for it's info - although it does not always. Use WP to find info but list the sources WP lists as the source for your report. All sources have the possibility to be inaccurate and biased. I do not think WP is exceptionally more so than others. The user community eventually filters out bad info and leaves the good. One reason WP is not suitable for reports is because it can be updated often and can have bad info the day that you write your report (even bad info that you added to WP for the sole purpose of making your report) but can be fixed the next day making your source missing. So I do agree that WP should not be used as a source but not primarily because it is inaccurate. And I do think it should be used as a research tool for finding sources for your report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Because Wikipedia is an ongoing work to which, in principle, anybody can contribute, it differs from a paper-based reference source in important ways. In particular, older articles tend to be more comprehensive and balanced, while newer articles more frequently contain significant misinformation, unencyclopedic content, or vandalism. Users need to be aware of this to obtain valid information and avoid misinformation that has been recently added and not yet removed (see Researching with Wikipedia for more details). However, unlike a paper reference source, Wikipedia is continually updated, with the creation or updating of articles on topical events within seconds, minutes or hours, rather than months or years for printed encyclopedias.
More info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...with_Wikipedia

I think that is probably enough talk about wikipedia in this this Atari thread. If you want to talk more about this then start a new topic.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #38
Regular Poster
248 posts
View Stats

somedude21

Quote:
Guys. Seriously. I know wikipedia isn't 100% fact. But if you got another website with tons of info on tons of subjects that's fact checked(not as much as people would like but still) please let me know. Also if you guys want to help Wikipedia you could correct the mistakes rather than just throw the site out altogether.

@Tenser- Like I said I didn't play the game alot way back then so I don't know the details you know. I won't dispute your points because it sounds like your right. Doesn't change the fact that to most gamers E.T. sucked big time. And you really can't lump all gamers into groups like losers/internet fanboys just because they don't agree about an ancient game that the majority of people don't like. Well you can but that makes you look stupid.

I guess this is just an unlucky game.

@everyone else- Yeah we went off topic alittle. My bad.
*cough* ithinkyoumeanalot *cough*
Old 06-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #39
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

Quote:
To me this is kinda like the FF7 debate. One side says it's an awesome game and the other says it's the worst piece of crap they've ever played.
Except the FF7 debate isn't completely lopsided. I liked FF7 but it certainly wasn't my favorite of the series.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 AM   #40
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
Quote:
Except the FF7 debate isn't completely lopsided. I liked FF7 but it certainly wasn't my favorite of the series.
My mistake I wasn't being specific enough.
You missed the key part of my quote...
Quote:
this is kinda like the FF7 debate
What I meant was how there's a debate where both sides feel strongly about it to the point where no one will ever agree. Of course it's not exactly the same thing as the E.T. debate but I still think it's similar.

Off topic again I know sorry. But it isn't that bad, at least we're talking about an atari game right?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #41
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
View Stats

Tails

I say if that guy approves of this being on RU we get E.T. on here first and it can be settled then.

edit: i just tried it and im not a fan of it either, what are you supposed to do Tenser?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #42
Regular Poster
248 posts
View Stats

somedude21

AHEM!

I dont think we will EVER get fully back on topic.
Even Kong isnt
Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #43
Regular Poster
39 posts
mame is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 4
Points: 395, Level: 4 Points: 395, Level: 4 Points: 395, Level: 4
Level up: 64%
Level up: 64%, 55 Points needed Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

mame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails
I say if that guy approves of this being on RU we get E.T. on here first and it can be settled then.

edit: i just tried it and im not a fan of it either, what are you supposed to do Tenser?
your supposed to collect pieces of a phone to call the ship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-pzdPLfy9Y
Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #44
Regular Poster
2,160 posts
oasis has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 34
Points: 17,868, Level: 34 Points: 17,868, Level: 34 Points: 17,868, Level: 34
Level up: 20%
Level up: 20%, 882 Points needed Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude21
AHEM!

I dont think we will EVER get fully back on topic.
Even Kong isnt
well the title of the topic is Java Atari 2600 emulator
so talking about games that can be played on that system would be on topic.
and the original question has been answered

Q: Can this emulator be added to this site
A: Kong sent a message to the creator asking if he would like it added to this site (no response yet.)
List of Games I have Beaten Click Here
Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #45
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
View Stats

Kong

Correction. Kong will send a message to the creator asking for permission. I am waiting first for the site update which is getting close.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #46
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
View Stats

Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
Correction. Kong will send a message to the creator asking for permission. I am waiting first for the site update which is getting close.
Yay for third person and yay for the closeness of the site update! ;D

and thanks Mame.. i kept on falling in a crator..

Old 06-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #47
Regular Poster
39 posts
mame is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 4
Points: 395, Level: 4 Points: 395, Level: 4 Points: 395, Level: 4
Level up: 64%
Level up: 64%, 55 Points needed Level up: 64% Level up: 64%

mame

here is a review of pac-man atari 2600 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ot7wUVgyo
Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #48
Regular Poster
470 posts
Hobbes is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 10
Points: 1,170, Level: 10 Points: 1,170, Level: 10 Points: 1,170, Level: 10
Level up: 35%
Level up: 35%, 130 Points needed Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Send a message via MSN to Hobbes

Hobbes

ET made another worst list-
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25401245...WorstGamesEver

Tenser may have to go computer to computer telling people the truth.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #49
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 369 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom

TrakMastaTom

What does MSNBC know? Shaq Fu was rad!
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #50
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom
What does MSNBC know? Shaq Fu was rad!
Well it's better than E.T. that's for sure.