Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Scoop This section contains interesting stories found on the web, mostly to do with retro gaming.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Scoop

Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tails

Sony Announces PSP Successor, Codenamed NGP

Sony Announces PSP Successor, Codenamed NGP - Anime News Network

During its 2011 PlayStation Meeting event on Thursday in Tokyo, Sony unveiled its successor to the PlayStation Portable game console. The successor is tentatively named the Next Generation Portable (NGP) and is slated to ship at the end of the year. The NGP's initial specifications include a 960 x 544 5-inch display, 3G and Wi-Fi wireless communication support, GPS, dual analog sticks, dual touchpads (on the screen and on the rear), SixAxis motion technology, front and rear cameras, and a microphone. It will also use memory card-based media to run games, as opposed to the PSP's UMD discs.

A number of game developers demonstrated their games currently being worked on for the NGP. These titles include Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, WhipOut, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Lost Planet 2, Yakuza, Dynasty Warriors, Metal Gear Solid 4 and a teaser to Call of Duty.

-------------------

What Sony needs to do is offer support with UMD Discs..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Regular Poster
4,154 posts
Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60
Level up: 25%
Level up: 25%, 7,624 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Seahawk

Re: Sony Announces PSP Successor, Codenamed NGP

A disk drive in a portable device is expensive, requires lots of battery power, and is prone to mechanical failure, so it makes sense that they are not using one again.

That's a pretty sweet screen size.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62

Tails

I mean that if you own the games you should be able to download said games on the new system instead of rebuying.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Regular Poster
3,678 posts
elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 32
Points: 15,929, Level: 32 Points: 15,929, Level: 32 Points: 15,929, Level: 32
Level up: 44%
Level up: 44%, 621 Points needed Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

elrod21

I agree. Backwards compatibility is a big deal to me. I wonder how easy it will be to run home-brew software on it. That is important to me too.

(In fact 90% of what I do with my PSP is home-brew)
Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 19,296 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Slime Slayer

Trying to take the wind out of the sails of the 3ds are they? One thing not mentioned is that there is a touchscreen (nothing new), and a touch pad on the back (neat). I'm excpecting an unresonable price tag though.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Regular Poster
4,154 posts
Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60
Level up: 25%
Level up: 25%, 7,624 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Seahawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails View Post
I mean that if you own the games you should be able to download said games on the new system instead of rebuying.
It doesn't say anything about backwards compatibility at all, and it has a totally different CPU architecture than the PSP. I could be wrong but from what it looks like so far don't get your hopes up too much.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Regular Poster
5,044 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 46
Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46
Level up: 7%
Level up: 7%, 1,406 Points needed Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

CatalystiCam

nothing new really, I never bought a psp but I had one given to me. I found a few cool games like ATV and Battlefront: RS. I mainly use it to play GBA through hacking though and I bring it with me sometimes so friends can try out my super mario world hack on the snes emulator.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Extra Chrispy
6,706 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 1,152 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

CrispyChicken

I agree with Steven that its going to cost a lot more than it should. I never really had any fun with the PSP besides playing God of War and Kingdom Hearts.

And the only game that I would want for the PSP2 would be a new KH game or a new GoW game and to me, thats not worth it. Although the PSP2 does look cooler, I don't want to pay the price for it when I don't think it's totally worth it.

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Demon-Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
Trying to take the wind out of the sails of the 3ds are they? One thing not mentioned is that there is a touchscreen (nothing new), and a touch pad on the back (neat). I'm excpecting an unresonable price tag though.
Like 3DS tier unreasonable?
Yeah, Sony usually ends up with the most expensive consoles out of a generation, so I'd not be surprised.
It doesn't matter how impressive this is, the 3DS will win the war, for two main reasons: Nintendo almost always wins and the least powerful console in the race tends to win in sales. Look at the DS vs the PSP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
I agree with Steven that its going to cost a lot more than it should. I never really had any fun with the PSP besides playing God of War and Kingdom Hearts.
Did you try Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, I'm sure you'd like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy
And the only game that I would want for the PSP2 would be a new KH game or a new GoW game and to me, thats not worth it. Although the PSP2 does look cooler, I don't want to pay the price for it when I don't think it's totally worth it.
No more God of War, I've played all but God of War III, and I loved every minute of them, but they all blur together with how similar they are.
It is my belief that a game console will never be worth more than $200 to me, no matter how cool it is, I'd never pay $200 for a piece of hardware that is worth nothing without the required software, games which cost anywhere from twenty to sixty dollars.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

I do like the idea of a touchscreen in the back. None of those games interest me though.

@DM: Talk is the NGP will be $300-$350 with $50-$60 games.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Regular Poster
155 posts
splatglobe 95 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 3
Points: 204, Level: 3 Points: 204, Level: 3 Points: 204, Level: 3
Level up: 4%, 96 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

splatglobe 95

was it something i said about the sonic and crash's 2011 birthday year or are you guys for real about the new psp successor because it's nothing i've seen before.

P.S.: sonic and crash universe forever!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
View Stats

Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
@DM: Talk is the NGP will be $300-$350 with $50-$60 games.
That's crap. Only reason I'd get it is: If my actual PSP games worked on it, my D-pad is broken.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63

Kugyince

It's just a rumor though so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 36
Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 546 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

jim5cents

Quote:
What Sony needs to do is offer support with UMD Discs..
What Sony needs to do is bail and leave the handheld game up to the Big N.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5cents View Post
What Sony needs to do is bail and leave the handheld game up to the Big N.
Why? I thought direct competition was good for the customer, keeping prices lower and adding diversity to the market. Nintendo is good but they've shown a total lack of interest in the kind of games PSP seems to cater too. I think it's a good balance.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

He's referring to what would be financially profitable for Sony, not good for the hobbyists or the industry as a whole.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 36
Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 546 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

jim5cents

Correct Ten.

@DB, I'm all about competition in the marketplace. However, I think Sony would be better off focusing their efforts on competition with MS who is their real direct competitor.

I don't see Nintendo dropping their prices to compete with Sony's handheld as Sony product will likely have a higher retail than Nintendo's at release. Sony would be forced to drop their prices, thus decreasing their profits (or more likely increasing their loss) before Nintendo would have to budge.

Last edited by jim5cents; 01-28-2011 at 09:01 PM..
Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #18
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

The only company that's found economic success in the portable market besides Nintendo is Apple.

The PSP line is designed and marketed towards the "hardcore gamer bros". Unfortunately for Sony not only is their target audience a small but vocal minority of our hobby (the vast majority of gamers are casual) but that minority also seems uninterested in portable gaming anyways (outside of Japan).

I think the 3DS might be too far towards the high end of portable gaming as well. If not it's certainly flirting with the line. I think the market could support one more handheld but it would have to fall in between Apple and Nintendo aiming for a middle ground of $10-$20 games with the types of games you would find on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Rumor:
Quote:
Sony’s NGP is touting its 3G mobile connectivity features, but Sony has unsurprisingly confirmed this will not be free, and consumers and even Nintendo’s CEO all appear extremely hostile to the idea.

SCE’s European boss has confirmed that the NGP’s 3G connectivity will not be a free service, meaning contracts with mobile phone providers will almost certainly be involved.

If the market for smartphones is anything to go by, this will likely mean $20-$100 monthly data plans, minimum contract periods and a variety of other inconveniences, all without the benefit of actually being able to make phone calls or do much beyond play games (which of course also have to be bought).

Nintendo’s CEO actually rubbished the NGP for just this reason, saying he thought it would be extremely difficult to persuade consumers to stomach the costs of a mobile data plan:
“I won’t deny we’ve been looking into [3G support for the 3DS]. However, with the separate subscription fee required it is a very difficult option to consider.”

Old 01-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63

Dudebro

I disagree about Sony focusing. I think they do just fine in the handheld market. They don't need to beat Nintendo or shift focus to compete in the console market, they're doing good where they are. I know lots of people with PSPs and they would probably never own a gameboy, the games just don't appeal to them. Sony knows it's market.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #20
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61
Level up: 4%, 19,296 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Slime Slayer

If they try and charge a monthly fee, without even having cell phone capabilities, on top of the huge price tag then they are seriously stupid.
How many people are going to agree to doubling their monthly phone bill so they can play their handheld? Only rich people, and extreme Sony fanboys.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 01-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #21
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I disagree about Sony focusing. I think they do just fine in the handheld market. They don't need to beat Nintendo or shift focus to compete in the console market, they're doing good where they are. I know lots of people with PSPs and they would probably never own a gameboy, the games just don't appeal to them. Sony knows it's market.
You can disagree all you want but that's not going to alter the pure economics of it. Between the four iterations of the PSP there's been 17 million units sold in the US after six years. That averages out to less than a paltry 4.5 million units per console line.

"Dudebro know lots of people with PSPs and thinks they're doing just fine" does not equate into financial success. It's a moot point. I know only one person with a PSP and he's not even going to buy the NGP but that's neither here nor there. It changes nothing.

The PSP sales stink. Sony likely needs to change it's marketing if they wish to remain viable in the portable market.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #22
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

RU Joe

NGP: No Good to Play?
Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #23
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
"Dudebro know lots of people with PSPs and thinks they're doing just fine" does not equate into financial success.
Well yeah. I wasn't trying to claim they're doing great, I said "just fine" and "good" for a reason. They could be doing a lot better but they definitely have a niche market that's sustainable. I don't see a reason for them to stop and focus more on PS3. I mean really, what else could they do, make more games?

Btw it's not like Sony has some small amount of resources to dedicate to these projects. It's sony, they can burn money like Microsoft and be fine.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #24
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

How is the niche market sustainable when you take a profit loss on the product?

I'm certain they've lost more money on the PSP line than they've earned through software sales. They sell their hardware for a loss remember. Hell, they just started turning a profit on PS3s.

I'm not suggested they exit the market. I merely think they would be better served not releasing a portable for $300-$450 with $50-$60 games and a monthly subscription fee.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
View Stats

Tails

I think it's bs with charging for the net, it should be a feature not an extra thing.

I have to admit when the PSP is involved I never ever see people have them. I have it for my songs and to play one of my FIVES games (that small). As much as I hope this does have backwards capability (ie sony like vouchering PSP games to play on it) I doubt it. Too greedy.