Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > All Other Games

Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dudebro

One thing I hate about fighting games

Unfair boss battles.

I get that you want some epic fight at the end but why do the bosses have to be so unfair? It works in almost every other game type but in fighting it fails. I haven't heard one person praise the level of cheapness a boss has in a fighting game. Usually that's one of the main complaints I hear about, the boss is totally unbalanced and not fun at all. I don't see winning versus that as an accomplishment, it's just getting lucky really or resorting to cheap tactics yourself which isn't very fun to me.

Now I don't mean the boss is just really good at fighting, that I like. I mean when the boss is 90feet tall and has ultra fast unblockable combos. To me that drains the fun right out of playing through the game. You fight well all the way to the boss and then all the sudden it's like you're playing a different game. Well you aren't but the boss sure is.

I was thinking of this now because of Tekken6 and it's ridiculous boss battle. It's only like 30-40ft tall and you can block most of his moves but he really is overpowered and cheap.
I also fought Jin as a boss battle and he was awesome. He didn't do anything unfair but he managed to destroy me quick and skillfully. I wasn't mad or frustrated by that I was impressed. That's how a boss fight should be imo.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Regular Poster
278 posts
Shades is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 9
Points: 1,017, Level: 9 Points: 1,017, Level: 9 Points: 1,017, Level: 9
Level up: 59%
Level up: 59%, 83 Points needed Level up: 59% Level up: 59%

Shades

Re: One thing I hate about fighting games

Did you just get done playing a really annoying fighter?
I'm not even a fan of sunglasses.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Kong

I think it would be cool if instead of having one super boss they took everyone in the game and let them fight you all at once. Have 6 guys all on the screen trying to kick your butt at the same time. They could grab you or do special double player combos.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

You guys remember Taboo on Brawl? That kid had some cheap combos.

And I mean cheap. But mainly all of them you could dodge, at least.

I know it gets worse than that. I can't remember any right now, though.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Did you just get done playing a really annoying fighter?
So you didn't read the entire post?

Another really bad one was from Bloody Roar, I forget which. This boss could literally pick you up and throw you out of the ring. Being the obvious 30+ feet tall he could grab you way before you could do anything about it. Fun right?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

RU Joe

Double Dragon really provided some good examples of what DB is saying
I hate this guy:

Ok maybe he's not 30 ft. tall, but he sure lays a beating on you and drains your life.
So do the Kendo twins, but I can't find a pic.
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post

Right, sorry.

But yeah, I miss Punch-Out, where you had a chance, and you could win by learning the key to each fight. Good times.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Yeah Punch-Out wasn't as bad since you could learn the patterns if you put in the effort, still hard though. That game was based off the unfair battle though so it doesn't compare imo.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

I'm not sure why developers throw in these unfair battles.

It may just be laziness. It's like, they don't really want to try, but they still want the game to hold it's own against you. It's really stupid.

I just quit the game at that point.

Like on Mass Effect (not a fighter, but bear with me) when I kept getting thrown to the ground with their magic, then shot to death by the killable enemies. Thing is, didn't matter how many times I shot these ladies (repeatedly, to the head, with a shotgun), they always had the energy to thrust me to the ground. I was already pretty checked out at that point, but wow. I was done after that.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61
Level up: 4%, 19,296 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Slime Slayer

i dont mind a tough last boss, in fact it would be stupid without one. the problem lies when the last boss does things that are impossible for a human player to do.

a boss that exploits the game engine and does things that are not reproduceable by a top level player- cheap and bad

a boss that fights fairly, and fights in a way that a skilled enough player could reproduce- hard, and good
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
hard, and good
*snicker*

Yeah, I don't think anyone would disagree with that, though. I think that's just the unwritten rule.

It always did make me mad on Mario Party (any of them), when the computer players would "happen" to land on some nice spaces. Not a boss battle, but enough sabotage to be annoying.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #12
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65

Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post

Another really bad one was from Bloody Roar, I forget which. This boss could literally pick you up and throw you out of the ring. Being the obvious 30+ feet tall he could grab you way before you could do anything about it. Fun right?
I beat it on less than 10 quarters. I think a game should cost more that $2.50 to beat.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:20 AM   #13
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

You beat BloodyRoar? If so good job but I was just using that one move as an example, besides that the boss wasn't super cheap really.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #14
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
View Stats

Kong

European version, Beastorizer. I assume they are the same.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #15
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Yeah that game is BloodyRoar1. I haven't beaten recently but I think it's the version with the cheap throw. But like I said the boss isn't too cheap in that version.
Quite a few fighting games use the over the top boss battle but not all thankfully. Some of the games even change stuff like camera angle just for the boss fight making it that much harder.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #16
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

I'm on the other end here. I like the idea of the developers throwing the kitchen sink at me. It makes winning that much more enjoyable.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #17
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Yeah but in a fighting game where every other character is pretty much even? I can see if it's a RPG/FPS/RTS or almost any other game type but fighting just doesn't seem right when the guy has a 90 foot height advantage and he shoots missles out of his ass.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #18
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Tails

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGrotowski View Post
Double Dragon really provided some good examples of what DB is saying
I hate this guy:

Ok maybe he's not 30 ft. tall, but he sure lays a beating on you and drains your life.
So do the Kendo twins, but I can't find a pic.
Bolo is harder without your special moves.

@Kong: Your post reminded me of this vid my friend showed me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlq2LInVyys"]YouTube - METBUBBNEAANAASOMANKNANWOAOMAAIR: 100% speed, no E-Tanks[/ame]

Old 10-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

samejamesbond

Tekken 6's final boss can't be worse than Mike Tyson.

Remove Pootis
Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

@Tenser- I accidentally laughed out loud at 0:26. That was really funny.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #21
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Slime Slayer

@shades- why are you telling tenser?
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Demon-Mask

I think a final boss should be hard, but there is a point when a boss fight just isn't fun, like when they are able to use special moves without the recovery or charge time, it just turns into an endless stream of projectile attacks, and you can only counter or avoid a few before you get hit, then they close in and do impossible grabs and combos.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #23
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask View Post
I think a final boss should be hard, but there is a point when a boss fight just isn't fun, like when they are able to use special moves without the recovery or charge time, it just turns into an endless stream of projectile attacks, and you can only counter or avoid a few before you get hit, then they close in and do impossible grabs and combos.
Exactly. It's fine when a boss is a challenge but when they are just unfair it drains the fun from the game.

Btw welcome to RU if I didn't already welcome you somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB
Tekken 6's final boss can't be worse than Mike Tyson.
Well Tyson has the one hit kill cheapness but again, Punch Out is designed to be the underdog vs the pros kind of thing so it's expected.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #24
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

punch out!! is a pattern recognition game, entirely different than your standard fighting game, besides if you cant beat tyson than, your skills arnt up to par.
kong on Bronies:

Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #25
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
@shades- why are you telling tenser?
Because we're pals, of course.

I'm not sure why, actually. Probably just preoccupied. I was thinking at Tails, but hey.