Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > Reviews

Comment

Review Tools Search this Review Display Modes
Published by xfighter1138
04-01-2009
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
100%100%100%
Replay value
100%100%100%
Challenge
80%80%80%
Tilt
80%80%80%
Average 88%

Advent Rising

Probably going to be one of my last current gen reviews, but anyway this going to be long ass so prepare to read.

First off, before I even talk about my review, lets look back on what so called "Pro" reviewers did to this game. Due to the fact that it did not exactly live up to the massive hype surrounding it, reviewers did their best to destroy it, and anyone who might think of checking it out. I'm here to dispel the myth reviewers created, that this game isn't worth a 5 out of 10, and that it's buggy to no end. Now, lets talk about the good features.

- The absolute best soundtrack composed and produced for a video game in years. This is the sort of music you'll be hunting down MP3's for after you play the game.

- Action scenes that rival those seen in just about any video game to date, including the awesome Max Payne series. Consider this, you target the enemy, do a flying, spinning leap forward, waste him, then target his buddy, flip midair, land, fly backwards, fire, and then you not only kill the other bad guy, but you blow up scenery, and all heck literally breaks loose. That's an example of ANY of the game play to be found here. Not even mentioning the Vehicle scenes, and their "Hollywood" style flip a million times and drive fine. Do a 360 while being barraged by missile, and then hit the cliff side doing 80mph, flip 4 times, and drive right at the enemy ship, firing at it, and it explodes the MOMENT you go flying through it. Yep, doesn't get much better then this.

- Cinematic that really set the stage, and make you feel like your not playing a game, rather, you are watching a movie that you control. You will actually grasp what is happening, why it's happening, and what to do next. You will also be quite entertained, as like the rest of the game, the cut scenes are Hollywood quality.

- Top notch voice acting, backing up the characters and storyline, easily on par with KOTOR's or Half Life 2, or even The Longest Journey(10 points if you actually know this game)

OK, so now that I got that out of the way, lets talk about the bad features.

- Sometimes easy to get lost, due to a lack of a map. Can't say I have any idea how people get lost. The game basically indicates where to go, based on smart design choices in the levels, that while not being absolute linear in nature, keep you on track.

- Sound sometimes will cut out for a second or two..but really, this is easily ignored, and only happens a few times.

- Very rare, but occasionally, when fighting many enemies at once, you could "fall" through the level. This got me once or twice, but again, I "died", and then reloaded the checkpoint. In under a minute I was back in action, no "falling" this time.

- This game is somewhat short..yeah, about 10 hours tops. I beat it in 6. Still, it plays a lot like a Million dollar motion picture, so it flows fast...basically, it works for once, a game having short game play time. Not to mention, you can go back and play again, the game does have some replay to it.

That's it. So for all the good versus the bad points, how in the hell did reviewers and people online claim this game wasn't worth 5 dollars? I'll tell you how.

If you have the PC version, and your complaining about visuals, your nuts. Yes the textures aren't on the "Half Life 2/FEAR" level, but did you notice that, they work? Let alone, the game doesn't take 30 years to load due to insanely high texture mapping. People also complained about floaty game mechanics and animations. I just have to shake my head, and point to Halo on the PC. It doesn't get more shaky then that port.

Next, we have the debate over the graphics in general. I would like to know what crack reviewers were smoking when they said the effects and character models looked like they were from a 1999 PC game. The character models are top of the line, and carry a sort of Anime/Comic book stylization to them, but again, it works well...considering how much jumping/flipping/dodging you will do in the game.

Finally, we have the "flick" targeting system, which on the PC works by having you use the mouse wheel to target. Takes 10 minutes to get used to, and then you'll grasp why you shouldn't just FPS the entire game out. When you target after a certain point in the game, time will slow down. There is no bar, or meter that says how many times you can do it, so insane slow-mo gunfighting is always there. Of course once you see your character flying through the air, laying waste to everything in his path...you will no doubt have your jaw on the floor. Mind you , this is BEFORE you even get your powers.

So what is the sum total here? A game that will be considered a classic by few, and crap by many. I say that's OK. They can go play whatever they want, and I'll play this. Advent Rising isn't the BEST game of all time, nor does it claim to be just that. What it is, is the most cinematic driven game to date. The music, sound, and game play, match the style and presentation, and feel of the entire package perfectly.

So after all this, if your still considering buying this one, do yourself a favor, and buy it. And this game is highly sought after it was released and I have no doubt, wind up on "Home of the Underdogs", just like "Arx Fatalis" and many other great games, that average gamers or reviewers had a bug up their ass when reviewing.
Featured Reviews
Read more
Big Red One

Frontline FPS action
Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 AM
MY TITLE IS RED!

Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
Re: Advent Rising

I knew I should've bought this game when I saw it on clearance. I never heard anything good about it until now. Hopefully I can find it for PC or use it on my 360.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Regular Poster

Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!

I actually had never heard of the game till it got added to the OnLive playpack. At that point, I instantly got addicted to it. It was fascinatingly awesome.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:06 PM
New Poster

RegalSin is the posterchild for noob

This game was flipping great. It has everything you want from it. Why did it not sell as much at all. Or was sucky? because it was not on a N66...I mean the Gamecube. That is why. If it was a Gamecube game and had the attention of the much needed fanbase it would have had a sequel by now.

No. They had to be like "Our game is the adventure platform-er of the X-box and it is that auwsome. The X-box version was rubbish and full of errors and it took a release of the PC version to get it right. Now it also feature HD modes.

1. Two separate final bosses. Where one is your fiance and the other is your best friend. Based on who yo

2. The game was suppose to link with the PSP game. Where you was going to play as the space-woman ( the orange haired girl ) instead. Then there was suppose to be a third game where they meet up. Never did happen.

3. Bottom-line that fight scene with the demonic badboy ( and seeing him in a Dragon Ball chamber getting tossed aside ) was probavly the highlight of this game.

Total waste of what should have been a flat line victory. No they had to release it on X-box. No they had to plan for a lame PSP game. People are still playing "Metroid Prime" ( note the ice gun thing ) and "RE4" on the Gamecube on there Wii and probably WiiU.

Nintendo did what the PS2 did for the PSX with the Wii and Wiiu. Make a system that could play all three generations of games.

Complete failure for a great game

Last edited by RegalSin; 12-27-2017 at 09:09 PM..
Comment