Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Regular Poster
1,660 posts
david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,745, Level: 23 Points: 7,745, Level: 23 Points: 7,745, Level: 23
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 305 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

david man45

Is retro rising up?

I was reading a GI (game informer) magazine and it said that there are two more Sonic games coming out. One is for a hand held system with different Sonic characters having different abillities to help progress and one that is coming out this upcoming holiday for most of the systems, even ps2. They say this might shoot Sonic back into popularity. Also, as I said before, they made a new Twisted Metal. They are making ANOTHER Golden Axe game and when was the last one of those made? They are making another gauntlet game for the DS and the last one was made for the ps2 but it feels just about retro to me. In my opinion, the new Prince of Persia game is not retro yet but still, all the older games that, to most are forgotten, are coming back into play.
Do you thing retro is making a comeback?

~Longet post ever made in RU.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Forum lurker
15,575 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Tails

Re: Is retro rising up?

the handheld sonic is a Sonic RPG featuring another protagonist who is female.

and ps sonic i believe is called Sonic universe.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Regular Poster
1,660 posts
david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Points: 7,745, Level: 23 Points: 7,745, Level: 23 Points: 7,745, Level: 23
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 305 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

david man45

The hand held one maybe but the other is Sonic Unleashed.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

Of course Retro is rising up.

First of all this kind of thing sells. It appeals to the older gamers who played these games as a kid. They now have more money to spend on games(hopefully).

Second they don't have to be as creative when designing these games compared to a new game idea. They have the basic idea/gameplay already done from the start.

Lastly this is nothing new. Mario/Sonic and Prince of Persia are good examples of that.

But, having said all that I'm glad to see old familiar names. Just hope they don't screw them up.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Regular Poster
87 posts
powerfullove is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 4
Points: 338, Level: 4 Points: 338, Level: 4 Points: 338, Level: 4
Level up: 26%
Level up: 26%, 112 Points needed Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

powerfullove

DS game is Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

Wii game is Sonic Unleashed
Old 05-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Well just look at the GBA. That system was practically built on retro games.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 369 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom

TrakMastaTom

I don't think sequels to retro games mean "retro is rising up". I think it means developers are running out of ideas. I mean, to make a new Golden Axe game (which I hear isn't looking great) just seems silly to me. Initially I thought that could be cool, but what can you really do with Golden Axe in this day and age?

Another side of retro stil being prevalent is stuff like the Wii virtual console and Xbox Live Arcade, which I like more. I bought Smash TV on my 360 and it is awesome to be able to play that online. I still, however, have a hard time spending 5 bucks on a game I already own.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Regular Poster
2,160 posts
oasis has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 34
Points: 17,868, Level: 34 Points: 17,868, Level: 34 Points: 17,868, Level: 34
Level up: 20%
Level up: 20%, 882 Points needed Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

oasis

the problem with devolopers is they dont want to try anything brand new because its a gamble...

the best quote i heard was from xplay and morgan said.... do you want to pay 70 dollars on a brand new game you have never seen or played before or 70 dollars and a nice new mario game that you know will be atleast ok...

then look at it this way

would you want to develope a multi million dollar game the consumers may not buy or multi millions on a game they may possible buy because its a sure thing
List of Games I have Beaten Click Here
Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 369 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom

TrakMastaTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
would you want to develope a multi million dollar game the consumers may not buy or multi millions on a game they may possible buy because its a sure thing
Nothing is a sure thing. Sure, you would probably sell more copies of a bad Mario game than a bad not-Mario game, but aside from some questionable high selling games, game consumers are pretty smart and don't buy bad games.

I mean, Sonic games used to be automatic quality. Not anymore. And customers responded by no longer buying Sonic games much.
TMT Raps

Quote:
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Regular Poster
76 posts
afireinside is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 14
Points: 2,709, Level: 14 Points: 2,709, Level: 14 Points: 2,709, Level: 14
Level up: 87%
Level up: 87%, 41 Points needed Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Send a message via AIM to afireinside Send a message via MSN to afireinside Send a message via Yahoo to afireinside

afireinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by david man45 View Post
I was reading a GI (game informer) magazine and it said that there are two more Sonic games coming out. One is for a hand held system with different Sonic characters having different abillities to help progress and one that is coming out this upcoming holiday for most of the systems, even ps2. They say this might shoot Sonic back into popularity. Also, as I said before, they made a new Twisted Metal. They are making ANOTHER Golden Axe game and when was the last one of those made? They are making another gauntlet game for the DS and the last one was made for the ps2 but it feels just about retro to me. In my opinion, the new Prince of Persia game is not retro yet but still, all the older games that, to most are forgotten, are coming back into play.
Do you thing retro is making a comeback?

~Longet post ever made in RU.
I think this site is "rising up" if you mean rising up getting better . I love this site. Sonic is cool lots of good memories playing sonic. Good game!!
"Fear is just another word for ignorance"- Hunter S Thompson

Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
5,572 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 52
Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52
Level up: 41%
Level up: 41%, 1,074 Points needed Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

DrunkN

Quote:
Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
I think this site is "rising up" if you mean rising up getting better . I love this site. Sonic is cool lots of good memories playing sonic. Good game!!
THAT, gentlemen, is a necropost.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
Regular Poster
5,044 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 46
Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46
Level up: 7%
Level up: 7%, 1,406 Points needed Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

CatalystiCam

Why are so many threads being brought back.

To add to this, I heard Nintendo is making a sonic game.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Regular Poster
87 posts
View Stats

powerfullove

Umm... What the hell, why would Sega let Nintendo screw with their star mascot?

Well anyways, Sonic games will only survive if they stick to side-scroller platforming that is blazing fast and doesn't slow down for anything. Sonic games are meant to be fast, but recently games like Sonic Unleashed sort of get the idea, but then they have to go and ruin the whole thing by adding brawled action like the werehog. Why? What do werewolves have anything with the Sonic Universe? Sega needs to get it into their stupid little brains that straying from keeping the game simplistic and fast is the thing that's killing Sonic.

I think Sonic Chronicles was the first Sonic game I liked in a while, and it's RPG developed by BioWare. I find it sad that other companies can do a better job with a mascot than the mascot's company itself.

Last edited by powerfullove; 09-02-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
Regular Poster
5,044 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 46
Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46 Points: 35,544, Level: 46
Level up: 7%
Level up: 7%, 1,406 Points needed Level up: 7% Level up: 7%

CatalystiCam

Someone on NFF said that nintendo is, haven't looked into it myself because I don't care.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #15
Regular Poster
477 posts
Belmontzar play's well with othersBelmontzar play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 10
Points: 1,252, Level: 10 Points: 1,252, Level: 10 Points: 1,252, Level: 10
Level up: 76%
Level up: 76%, 48 Points needed Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
Send a message via Yahoo to Belmontzar Send a message via Skype™ to Belmontzar

Belmontzar

I just want an epic 2d sonic with all characters, mini games, unlockable powers/ whatever, and on the wii. Dont even need lots of story, just hit the retro in the face with the new! Blaze or shadow burning through good ol Green Hill from sonic one. Just update graphics and tada.
hell controls are easy.
Wii mote held nes style.
D pad moves, 2 jumps, 1 special, A is special with helper and Tada! fun classic sonic ^^. Include Big, omega, Tikal, and others as mini game characters.
PAL CODES: 3DS; Zach 3496-9421-4636
PSN, skype, facebook, and imvu im Belmontzar
systems; ps3 ps vita, 3ds, ds, comp when it works
Old 09-03-2009, 03:36 AM   #16
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfullove View Post
Umm... What the hell, why would Sega let Nintendo screw with their star mascot?

Well anyways, Sonic games will only survive if they stick to side-scroller platforming that is blazing fast and doesn't slow down for anything. Sonic games are meant to be fast, but recently games like Sonic Unleashed sort of get the idea, but then they have to go and ruin the whole thing by adding brawled action like the werehog. Why? What do werewolves have anything with the Sonic Universe? Sega needs to get it into their stupid little brains that straying from keeping the game simplistic and fast is the thing that's killing Sonic.

I think Sonic Chronicles was the first Sonic game I liked in a while, and it's RPG developed by BioWare. I find it sad that other companies can do a better job with a mascot than the mascot's company itself.
I could almost see Nintendo making a Sonic game. They've already collaborated on those Olympic games and if anyone could make an amazing Sonic game, it'd be big N.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #17
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

They should just let Sonic die at this point. All the failures have caused most fans to lose faith in the series and there's not much they can do at this point. They should focus on new stuff and get rid of the sinking ship that is sonic.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #18
Donor
815 posts
Smittycal is kissing everybody's bum just rightSmittycal is kissing everybody's bum just rightSmittycal is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Points: 7,364, Level: 23 Points: 7,364, Level: 23 Points: 7,364, Level: 23
Level up: 15%
Level up: 15%, 686 Points needed Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Smittycal

I just played the Demo for Megaman 9 on PSN and I loved it. I know retro games are on a rise when you see them on a next gen system or platform.
http://www.scuffletown.org/wp-content/image/neverends1.gif
Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
Regular Poster
87 posts
View Stats

powerfullove

Quote:
They should just let Sonic die at this point. All the failures have caused most fans to lose faith in the series and there's not much they can do at this point. They should focus on new stuff and get rid of the sinking ship that is sonic.
Sonic Isn't a difficult character to bring back, Sega is just too stupid and ignorant to return to the features that made Sonic games actual Sonic games. Sonic Rush does a great job of that. It's a really fast game that's always on it's toes. But Sega ruined it with Sonic Rush Adventure and the stupid sailing minigames. Same with Unleashed. It would have been an amazing game without the werehog. It was fast-paced and simplistic.

I for one would like a remake of Sonic Adventure 2 for the Wii with updated graphics and controls and a revamped Chao Garden. Man, I loved the Chao Garden.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #20
Regular Poster
477 posts
View Stats

Belmontzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfullove View Post
Sonic Isn't a difficult character to bring back, Sega is just too stupid and ignorant to return to the features that made Sonic games actual Sonic games. Sonic Rush does a great job of that. It's a really fast game that's always on it's toes. But Sega ruined it with Sonic Rush Adventure and the stupid sailing minigames. Same with Unleashed. It would have been an amazing game without the werehog. It was fast-paced and simplistic.

I for one would like a remake of Sonic Adventure 2 for the Wii with updated graphics and controls and a revamped Chao Garden. Man, I loved the Chao Garden.
HELL YEAHZ.. lol-
Pull back adventure one and heroes too ^^.
Play control is out there after all ^^
Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #21
1,757 posts
Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33
Level up: 92%
Level up: 92%, 93 Points needed Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Mareeps

they are using too many gimmicks these days.they need to go back to what works
Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #22
5,572 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 52
Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52
Level up: 41%
Level up: 41%, 1,074 Points needed Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

DrunkN

They need to make another 2-d platformer, one with a crap load of levels.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #23
Regular Poster
477 posts
View Stats

Belmontzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmontzar View Post
I just want an epic 2d sonic with all characters, mini games, unlockable powers/ whatever, and on the wii. Dont even need lots of story, just hit the retro in the face with the new! Blaze or shadow burning through good ol Green Hill from sonic one. Just update graphics and tada.
hell controls are easy.
Wii mote held nes style.
D pad moves, 2 jumps, 1 special, A is special with helper and Tada! fun classic sonic ^^. Include Big, omega, Tikal, and others as mini game characters.
Like this Drunk ninja?

For a decent example of what Im thinking id suggest the Sonic Megamix game we have here.. Its got the homing attacks, light dash, and etc^^. Each char with his own thing.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #24
Regular Poster
16 posts
Ryu2Cammy is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 3
Points: 226, Level: 3 Points: 226, Level: 3 Points: 226, Level: 3
Level up: 26%, 74 Points needed Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Ryu2Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkninja View Post
They need to make another 2-d platformer, one with a crap load of levels.
I agree with that, and would anyone mind seeing a super double dragon remake but this time with a good ending and not a rushed one? I love super double dragon because of the music and the game play. Also it has a good story and is said to be on of the best beat em ups of all time.