Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Help Non-Retro Uprising Questions. Programming help, tech support, self help, advice, the meaning of life - it goes here.
Go Back   Retro Uprising > Support > Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #26
CatalystiCam's Avatar
Regular Poster
5,044 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
CatalystiCam

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

really, that far down? Yeah I got plenty of space left then. Also the games done that for 2 games now, same thing. I'm trying a third game. Glad to know I'm finally getting through franchise mode for now.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #27
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

You may not be able to wear it down to the info but you could possibly smear a bunch of little scratches onto it by over doing it, right?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #28
CatalystiCam's Avatar
Regular Poster
5,044 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
CatalystiCam

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

I remember you and seahawk mentioning that when I was having issues with a dreamcast game I burned but A; That was a Cd, this is a dvd. B; I believe official discs last longer than burned ones, correct?

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Quote:
You may not be able to wear it down to the info but you could possibly smear a bunch of little scratches onto it by over doing it, right?
The only additional residue that appeared was from the eraser and I managed to clear that all up.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #29
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

What I'm talking about is very fine scratches that would be hard to see. I could be totally wrong but I assume any consistent rubbing with abrasion could lead to ruining it eventually.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #30
CatalystiCam's Avatar
Regular Poster
5,044 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
CatalystiCam

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

perhaps but its running fine other than the freeze at the end of a game and I just played through a third straight game where it resumed after 20-30 seconds. I wonder if it was doing this all along because the toothpaste never did much.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #31
Normdogg's Avatar
Regular Poster
35 posts
Normdogg is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
Normdogg

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

One thing that I have had luck with is car wax or turtle wax. If the disk isn't too scratched up, you can probably fix it with the wax.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #32
RU Joe's Avatar
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
RU Joe

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

What do you do with the wax, ND?
Do you follow the rule of 'straight lines radiating directly from center to edge'?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #33
Normdogg's Avatar
Regular Poster
35 posts
Normdogg is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
Normdogg

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

Sorry for being late. I actually take a cloth and go around the disc with it in a circular motion. I then let it dry into a powder, then wipe the powder off in a straight line from inside to outside of the disc. Another thing you can try is furniture polish. I hear that works pretty good too.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #34
Gamenguru's Avatar
 
Gamenguru

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

I have a machine I bought a few years ago called the Skip Doctor (Image below) that I've used to repair everything from scratched music CD's to badly damaged video games. I've always just used a water-based solution with it, but I'm sure it would work with a variety of polishing compounds.


My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #35
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGrotowski View Post
Do you follow the rule of 'straight lines radiating directly from center to edge'?
Seems like the most logical idea, though I wouldn't trust myself with wax, too much temptation to do the whole "Wax on wax off." thing for hours.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #36
TheGuardian's Avatar
Regular Poster
169 posts
TheGuardian play's well with othersTheGuardian play's well with othersTheGuardian play's well with others
View Stats
 
TheGuardian

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

I have to ask because I haven't seen anyone say anything about it. Are the more prominent scratches Radial (going from middle-to-edge of disc) or Circular (Following the spin of the disc) Circular scratches are what cause the most problems because of the laser's tracking while reading the disc. Since those scratches follow the spin of the disc the laser basically gets derailed because it deflects off the scratch and moved to another point in the data which doesn't coincide with what it just read, so it tries over and over to read that point. It won't be able to hit that section so it won't be able to progress. Radial scratches don't deflect the laser that long because it's more like a speedbump, if you get it small enough the laser will deflect for just a very small fraction of a second and won't lose much (if any) data from reading the disc.

Deep circular scratches are what ruin CDs for the most part. It's very hard to fix them without grinding down. This is also why the CD grinding tools you see have a grindwheel that rubs on the disc from the center to the rim instead of a plate that just sits on the disc and grinds it all at once by spinning them opposite of each other.

(I know it's like a month later but I used to repair discs myself all the time and the topic caught my eye. after reading thought maybe I would share that piece of info so more people can understand what's happening and why certain scratches can ruin a game when another can be scratched to hell and still work fine)

Last edited by TheGuardian; 02-18-2011 at 10:16 AM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #37
RU Joe's Avatar
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
RU Joe

Re: Removing disc scratches at home?

Hi TheGuardian, and welcome to RU, the best site on the net!
{forgive me if I greeted you already, I'm just friendly that way}

I believe you're right about the direction of the scratches on the disk.
Oversampling seems to eliminate most of the smaller problems.
From what I've seen the best results are from the machines; I found a game in a pawnshop whose disk looked dog - chewed {Rover is a smart dog - he can retrieve disks!} and wasn't going to buy it when the guy said:
'No problem, I can fix this.'
Sure enough, he came back a couple of minutes later with what appeared to be a brand new disk.
I even said to him
'You're joking, right? This is a different disk, isn't it?'
But no, it was the very same one.

So for my money, I go get someone like him to get the scratches out.
This particular place charges $2 a disk.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PS3 Disc read error: Urgent, Want help before the 11th please!! CatalystiCam Help 14 12-06-2010 09:08 PM
What's Your Home Page? Winnebagel Chat 44 04-30-2010 02:14 AM
I Am Home From Japan. TrakMastaTom Chat 19 07-24-2009 08:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

» vBadvanced CMPS