Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Forum Games Multi-player text games played by posting.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Forum Games

Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Regular Poster
486 posts
OldTimer is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,545, Level: 12 Points: 1,545, Level: 12 Points: 1,545, Level: 12
Level up: 9%
Level up: 9%, 455 Points needed Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

OldTimer

Re: Riddles

What about shadows?
Could one not tell from them?

Last edited by OldTimer; 11-13-2009 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: the angle of the light to come out of the door.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Donor
912 posts
Dojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 416 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Dojah

Light 1~Keep off
Light 2~Turn on immediatly/Keep on~burning hot
Light 3~Turn on right before going in room~light not hot
Light 4~Turn on immediatly/turn off right before entering~off but burning hot

This should do it.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Regular Poster
278 posts
Shades is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 9
Points: 1,017, Level: 9 Points: 1,017, Level: 9 Points: 1,017, Level: 9
Level up: 59%
Level up: 59%, 83 Points needed Level up: 59% Level up: 59%

Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojah View Post
Light 1~Keep off
Light 2~Turn on immediatly/Keep on~burning hot
Light 3~Turn on right before going in room~light not hot
Light 4~Turn on immediatly/turn off right before entering~off but burning hot

This should do it.
That would make it more obvious, but I think there's one answer that would be more simple than any of ours.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkninja View Post
If thats the case, just flip the second switch once, the third twice, and the last one three times. Open the door and count how many times each lamp turns on when you unplug and replug them. Seven times for the fourth switch, eight times for the third, nine for the second, and ten for the first.

I don't think I understood any of that...
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
I'm not even a fan of sunglasses.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 19,296 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Slime Slayer

kong was sposed to give a hint after 24hours, im thinking that these variations would be close enough that hed reveal the answer
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 11-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
5,572 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 52
Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52
Level up: 41%
Level up: 41%, 1,074 Points needed Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

DrunkN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
kong was sposed to give a hint after 24hours, im thinking that these variations would be close enough that hed reveal the answer
Every 72 hours you must give another hint or outline a post that was close, not 24 hours. 24 hours is the amount of time you have to give the riddle.

Everyone here seems to be leaving out the piece that the switches can only be flipped ten times, I'd think that would have to be relevant to the answer, but I don't see it.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Okay, so, for three of them, we could use that trick, yes?

If so, then maybe leave one on long enough to burn out, then use the temperature trick. Still seems sketchy though.
Correct. Post a new riddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkninja View Post
Everyone here seems to be leaving out the piece that the switches can only be flipped ten times, I'd think that would have to be relevant to the answer, but I don't see it.
It was misdirection.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65

Kong

+1 (+1/-0)     

The original riddle is for three light bulbs. The answer is googable so I made it 4 bulbs and added a twist. The missing step is easy to get and not in Google.

If you turn on an regular old energy inefficient bulb it will be fully hot in a matter of seconds. To be able to open the door, enter the room and touch all the bulbs and compare temps before the temps start to change is unlikely. There is a better answer.

Comments

Old 11-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

Okay, so, for three of them, we could use that trick, yes?

If so, then maybe leave one on long enough to burn out, then use the temperature trick. Still seems sketchy though.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

Yeah, well, even so, there's something more simple that Kong's wanting from us.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

I have a feeling that was there to throw us off.

Maybe you could flip all of them that many times for a quick ADD fix, then you'd be more fit to guess which ones go to what switch.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Donor
622 posts
Gamenguru play's well with othersGamenguru play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 55
Points: 51,919, Level: 55 Points: 51,919, Level: 55 Points: 51,919, Level: 55
Level up: 67%
Level up: 67%, 631 Points needed Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Gamenguru

What about looking at the angles of the shadows cast by the different lamps through the crack in the door to guess which one is turned on.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Okay, the leaving one on long enough to burn out is lame. My methodology was more efficient and doesn't require you to wait hundreds of hours. Also, how do you tell the burnt out one from one that is merely off?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
View Stats

Kong

Shake the cold off bulbs. The one that rattles is burnt out. The reason behind it is that the temperature answer comes up when you Google it.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

Quote:
Okay, the leaving one on long enough to burn out is lame.
I agree. I never would've considered that answer due to how lame it seems.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
View Stats

Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I agree. I never would've considered that answer due to how lame it seems.
Lamer than the trick question "can you guess this riddle? no." Riddles are supposed to have strange answers that you don't immediately think of. If they were straight forward and obvious then they would be trivia questions or just questions.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

This is why I hate riddles. It's not a question of intelligence it's basically just luck.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
Regular Poster
486 posts
OldTimer is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,545, Level: 12 Points: 1,545, Level: 12 Points: 1,545, Level: 12
Level up: 9%
Level up: 9%, 455 Points needed Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

OldTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
This is why I hate riddles. It's not a question of intelligence it's basically just luck.
I disagree.
Most make you think 'outside the box' and rely on more imaginative thinking.

I enjoyed the light bulb one because it involved a systematic solution with a twist on the end.

As for the last one. It is an old one so I won't spoil it for anyone else.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #18
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

When I wake up, I have four legs.
At noon, I have two.
At night, I have three.

I know it's a classic, but I have to go, so I'm passing the baton.

I think kong's was a good add-on to the other riddle, because it did require a little thought. Guess and check is dominant, though.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Riddle of the Sphinx.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #21
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

Yes... and now that you've made it obviously google-able, give us a riddle.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
5,572 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

DrunkN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Yes... and now that you've made it obviously google-able, give us a riddle.
That's just the thing, when I made this topic I was hoping people would make their own riddles.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

Riddle making isn't easy, that's why the best ones are famous.

As I said before, I didn't have time to come up with one, so I was passing the baton.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #24
5,572 posts
View Stats

DrunkN

Riddle making is not as hard as one would think, me and a bud make quite a few of them daily.

Also, If you don't have the time, then I can understand, but I'm just pretty let down so far. Though maybe it's just the nitpicky other side of me that I repress(?)
Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #25
Regular Poster
278 posts
View Stats

Shades

Okay, then how about this:

I must be handsome, because I'm probably the most looked at thing in the entire world.

Lately I've been missing my hands, which isn't too bad, because they were pretty uneven before.

What am I?