Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 05-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Regular Poster
188 posts
sora2k10 is kissing everybody's bum just rightsora2k10 is kissing everybody's bum just rightsora2k10 is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,625, Level: 12 Points: 1,625, Level: 12 Points: 1,625, Level: 12
Level up: 25%
Level up: 25%, 375 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

sora2k10

Man of steel

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY]Man of Steel - Official Trailer 3 [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

i am excited about the new super man movie . the way its looking and i been a fan of super man for a long time . and there has not been a good super man movie like actully movie thats been good for while now . i mean there been a few good cartoon movies the past several years like super man all star and some others but the last good super man movie in my opion was way back in 1970s and one of the worst was back in 2006 and super man 3 and 4 were bad as well.

i thought but i am wondering what your thoughts are about the new super man movie
Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
5,572 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 52
Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52
Level up: 41%
Level up: 41%, 1,074 Points needed Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

DrunkN

Re: Man of steel

The one in 2006 was pretty good, I guess. I didn't really care all that much for the others.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Regular Poster
188 posts
sora2k10 is kissing everybody's bum just rightsora2k10 is kissing everybody's bum just rightsora2k10 is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats

sora2k10

really 2006 you liked well i guss we got diffrent views from it

i been a fan of 1978 super man . it gave us a good view of super man .

one thing i had a problem with 2006 was the fact he was able to lift a island of kyrptonite that was his weakness and toss it .

but this movie looks to be diffrent its more realistic i dont think there is gonna be kyrptonite in movie and he wont get his powers from the sun . alest thats what most people are saying . this movie is a realistic view of superman something we never seen.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats
Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12
Level up: 72%
Level up: 72%, 144 Points needed Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Mikman

I don't have high expectations for this film, although I really want that it be good. It just seems like the previous films, which already used Zod as the villain and showed the origin story. Many disliked Superman Returns because it was a missed opportunity for new film which could have a new villain and more intense action scenes. It could have righted the wrongs of episodes 3 & 4, but instead was a poor rehash of episode 1. Now they'll redo episodes 1 & 2, and while MOS looks statistically distinct from the previous films, it's still not as different as I wanted.

Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of Nolan, both as a director and as a creator. His idea of realism is intelligent and logical in many ways yet philosophically absurd in others. I never understand exactly what the message in the Dark Knight films is. Snyder, in the other hand, simply suffers iron "style over substance." He may direct good action scenes but that's not enough so that a film be good.

On a more positive note, I do believe that it will be more intense and less hokey that the other Superman films. I've never enjoyed those films much because they often slow and contrived, and none of the characters interested me, except Luthor and Zod, and their dialogue was laughably bad at times. I liked several moments such as the action scenes and Superman's heroism, but much of it was less than optimal, so MOS at least seems like an improvement in those areas.

As I said though, these are my expectations, which are based in what I've seen, so I'll war until I watch it when I make my final judgement.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

I think it looks like Nolan will hit another homerun. I'm thinking this will reinvigorate the franchise much like how Batman Begins did with the batman franchise. Let's just hope he doesn't make another DK Rises, that was just embarrassing.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats

Mikman

At least we can agree that TDKR was bad. I disliked TDK mainly because of personal taste but Rises was just a bad film. The same basic idea could have been executed far better. Too much talk about "hope" and "despair" ruined it. Plus, the fight scenes, like in the previous film, were horrible, and Batman was barely in the movie and whined too much when he was there. All the villains were atrocious, especially Catwoman. And I don't get Nolan's obsession with bad character voices. First Batman then Joker, now Bane.

At least MOS looks far better than TDK & TDKR. Also Jimmy Olsen isn't there, so that's a plus. He's a one- dimensional fifties' "comic" relief and always annoyed me.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Regular Poster
188 posts
View Stats

sora2k10

i heard super man is very good . ign gave it a 9.0 and others gave it around 8.0 wait and see what other critics give it . but so far the word is very good about the movie and now they said there already doing a second man of steel its been confirmed already .
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

Mikman

I've read reviews which favor the movie, and they seem genuine. Apparently, the cast is strong and the story is good, although the last act is more generic. Basically it's what I expected that it be, but I'll wait till I see it before I agree with the review.

Both the director and the lead actor said that they prefer that Man of Steel 2 as well as solo films for each major JL hero come out before a JL movie does so. What do you believe?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Regular Poster
188 posts
View Stats

sora2k10

i dont know kinda up in the air . they proble started talk about the doing a second cuzz they think its going to make money which it will i think it goes depending on how much it makes .
Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,609 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 77,506, Level: 61 Points: 77,506, Level: 61 Points: 77,506, Level: 61
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,044 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Winnebagel

I definitely want to see this one. It's the first Supes movie I have been interested in in decades. I love the part where Jor-El is talking about how people will look to Supes and become better as a result. The movie looks great!

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

Mikman

I notice that the filmmakers go the "X-Men" route, where humans irrationally fear superhumans.

I've now read moviegoers' reviews for MOS. They range from average to great. Apparently the villains are really good and the supporting cast come through but opinion on Lois & Clark vary. All the special effects are strong, but some say that the pacing and story flow are weak.

I always wonder why none of the movies ever used villains besides Luthor and Zod. Instead of Faora, Bizarro, Braniac, Metallo and Mxyzptlk, we had copy versions or weak replacements. Is that someone follow the original stoylines so difficult?

Just so you know, I'm not aMxyzptlk fan at all.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
Regular Poster
706 posts
ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 25
Points: 9,075, Level: 25 Points: 9,075, Level: 25 Points: 9,075, Level: 25
Level up: 25%, 675 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Send a message via AIM to ARedLetterDay Send a message via MSN to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Yahoo to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Skype™ to ARedLetterDay

ARedLetterDay

Saw this just a couple hours ago.

Great, great, great, great, GREAT film. Michael Shannon as Zod far surpassed Terence Stamp's portrayal by miles upon miles. Great acting, great cast, great action, great story, just overall a great movie. I definitely recommend it.

"his voice swayed with the kindness of devils."

Games in Progress (Name [System, company, year released]: Location Ingame / Current Objective)

Old 06-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

Mikman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARedLetterDay View Post
Saw this just a couple hours ago.

Great, great, great, great, GREAT film. Michael Shannon as Zod far surpassed Terence Stamp's portrayal by miles upon miles. Great acting, great cast, great action, great story, just overall a great movie. I definitely recommend it.
Did it meet your expectations? How are Cavill and the supporting cast in their roles? Is the plot sensible?

Is it too much like TDK trilogy, or the original Superman films, in any way?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Regular Poster
706 posts
ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to ARedLetterDay Send a message via MSN to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Yahoo to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Skype™ to ARedLetterDay

ARedLetterDay

Cavill is a great Kal-el. He's confident - but not cocky, he still has that feel of unfamiliarity with everything in the world. There's a certain scene kind of near the end of the film that just embodied everything Superman for me. As for the supporting cast, Michael Shannon as I've said was a great Zod, although sometimes he had this kind of lisp that might have been Shannon's accent anyways so it wasn't too big of a deal.

Russell Crowe as Jor-el was beyond amazing. Strong, confident, has an unbreakable belief in his son that just shines through in Crowe's performance. Laurence Fishburne as Perry White was great, too, although I wish he would have got more screentime. He has this scene near the end that just brought most of the film home for me.

Without giving too much away, everybody else was pretty dang good and supplemented Cavill's performance as the Man of Steel flawlessly. Kevin Costner was a great Johnathan Kent.

The plot was sensible and nothing at all like TDK trilogy which I think is great because I can't stand those films. About the only thing similar to the original films I can say is that it has a scene of him flying over the Earth which was GREAT and I'm shocked that nobody else in the theatre got that despite them saying before the movie started how big of a fan of the original movies they were, and a bit of his origin story, but other than that, the movie definitely stands on its own and is probably the single most epic and well-done comic book movie ever.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Also, I didn't have any expectations for the film. I find that not having expectations allows you to watch a movie and enjoy it more, because if you do, some way or another, your expectations are not gonna be met lol.

Plus, I got a free advanced screening ticket from my friend, which is why I went. Otherwise I would have never bothered until it came out on DVD.

Games in Progress (Name [System, company, year released]: Location Ingame / Current Objective)

Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

Mikman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARedLetterDay View Post
Cavill is a great Kal-el. He's confident - but not cocky, he still has that feel of unfamiliarity with everything in the world. There's a certain scene kind of near the end of the film that just embodied everything Superman for me. As for the supporting cast, Michael Shannon as I've said was a great Zod, although sometimes he had this kind of lisp that might have been Shannon's accent anyways so it wasn't too big of a deal.

Russell Crowe as Jor-el was beyond amazing. Strong, confident, has an unbreakable belief in his son that just shines through in Crowe's performance. Laurence Fishburne as Perry White was great, too, although I wish he would have got more screentime. He has this scene near the end that just brought most of the film home for me.

Without giving too much away, everybody else was pretty dang good and supplemented Cavill's performance as the Man of Steel flawlessly. Kevin Costner was a great Johnathan Kent.

The plot was sensible and nothing at all like TDK trilogy which I think is great because I can't stand those films. About the only thing similar to the original films I can say is that it has a scene of him flying over the Earth which was GREAT and I'm shocked that nobody else in the theatre got that despite them saying before the movie started how big of a fan of the original movies they were, and a bit of his origin story, but other than that, the movie definitely stands on its own and is probably the single most epic and well-done comic book movie ever.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Also, I didn't have any expectations for the film. I find that not having expectations allows you to watch a movie and enjoy it more, because if you do, some way or another, your expectations are not gonna be met lol.

Plus, I got a free advanced screening ticket from my friend, which is why I went. Otherwise I would have never bothered until it came out on DVD.

I'm glad that someone agrees with me about TDK trilogy. Only "Begins" was any good. But, I digress.

Did the plot concern any needless philosophy and/or rambling, or were Zod's speeches sensible? Also, what was the sense of realism which they said that they would put in the movie?

Your point on expectations is intelligent and thoughtful, but, honestly, I have somewhat average expectations for the movie.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
Regular Poster
706 posts
View Stats

ARedLetterDay

About the only philosophy in the film was that just because someone may be different, doesn't mean that they're bad, but then again, that's what Superman has always been about to me anyways.

Zod only has that lisp issue, but his speeches didn't seem to suffer from that for some reason? Only when he was talking normally. In fact, most of his speeches gave me chills when they came on screen.

The sense of realism is a helluva lot better than the sense of realism in TDK trilogy. Zod nor Superman used their other powers, namely the strong breath, but that's okay because it didn't detract from the film. Kal has to get used to his powers throughout the film and at one point, even Zod does, and it's a very special and well-done scene at both instances. It definitely seemed a lot more plausible (oddly enough) to have an alien come down to Earth looking for one of their own, since for all we know, there could be an alien living among us from some lost civilization.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63

Dudebro

An average looking dude can lift tons and fly and that's somehow more realistic than Nolans version of Batman? I sense some strong bias.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Regular Poster
706 posts
View Stats

ARedLetterDay

Not exactly what I meant by more realistic than Nolan's Batman. It feels more natural and flows better than anything that Batman did in that awful mess of a trilogy.
Also, average looking dude? In the first half hour of the movie you see how ripped Henry Cavill is. Looks far far from average.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

By the way, I enjoyed the movies as movies, but as Batman movies they were horrible, even taking into account Nolan was going for a more realistic tone.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

+1 (+1/-0)     

Average as in normal human. Not like someone who could lift more than the average human. Like this-

Comparing realism in these movies is laughable, sorry.

Comments

Would love to see him cast as superman.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
Regular Poster
706 posts
View Stats

ARedLetterDay

Mikman asked me about the sense of realism and I answered. Otherwise I would have never mentioned anything about realism.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

I realize that. I'm just commenting on how silly it is, especially when one guy can fly.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
Regular Poster
706 posts
View Stats

ARedLetterDay

Well, not just Kal-el. All of the Kryptonians that follow Zod have the ability to fly, so that proves your point even more, lol.

In any case, they said they were going to put a sense of realism in the movie and for what they were going for, it was successful. Obviously you can't have a super-sense of realism with a character like Supes, but for what they had to work with, they pulled it off.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

Mikman

Honestly, the technology and science in TDK trilogy was little more realistic than that of most other superhero films. How was Bane so strong without steroids? Batman's gadgets and devices were often scientifically unfeasible. The whole realism is character realism, which can exist whether in a fantasy sci-fi movie or.a normal one. However in TDK and TDKR, that really didn't exist.very much. Many of the characters' actions wouldn't make sense in a real world, especially the villains', who did more because of philosophical conjecture rather than real motives of personal desires or beliefs. At least Zod's motivations are more sensible than chaos or hope and despair.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

It's hard for me to take you guys seriously when you openly admit you hate the Batman movies. Of course you're gonna think it's not as good, that's why you hate it. You're not gonna make very fair comparisons, right?

Either way I don't wanna have a nerd battle about it I just wanted to express that.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
Extra Chrispy
6,706 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 1,152 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

CrispyChicken

Quote:
Many of the characters' actions wouldn't make sense in a real world, especially the villains', who did more because of philosophical conjecture rather than real motives of personal desires or beliefs. At least Zod's motivations are more sensible than chaos or hope and despair.
That was the point of the Joker. He's not a normal bad guy like a robber or murderer. I thought the point of super villains was supposed to be their uniqueness compared to normal bad guys. That's what makes them "super".

I for one, actually enjoyed the "Some men just want to watch the world burn" Joker.

But I definitely understand it's opinionated. And this definitely isn't the talk for TDK so I'll stop here.

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow."