Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Regular Poster
213 posts
DoctorRyanB1 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 11
Points: 1,304, Level: 11 Points: 1,304, Level: 11 Points: 1,304, Level: 11
Level up: 2%
Level up: 2%, 196 Points needed Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

DoctorRyanB1

How many are married to non-gamers

I need relationship advice. (Yes I'm turning RU into Doctor Phil.) I've been married almost five years and my wife is anti-game, anti-anime, anti-card battling, anti-roleplaying, etc. etc. etc. Don't get me wrong I love my wife and we spend time together. (NOOO NOT ANOTHER LIFETIME MOVIE......KILL ME!!!!) Seriously I was wondering if any of you guys are married to non-gamers and how that goes for you. And for any women on the site who are gamers, any advice how to brainwash my wife. ;D
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

For more on my journey visit: http://doctorryanb1.blogspot.com/
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Regular Poster
1,000 posts
count100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainscount100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainscount100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainscount100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainscount100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainscount100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainscount100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainscount100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainscount100 radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brains
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 4,839, Level: 20 Points: 4,839, Level: 20 Points: 4,839, Level: 20
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 911 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

count100

Re: How many are married to non-gamers

My wife is not a big gamer but she does like a few of them. To get your wife interested in gaming try a game like animal crossing or harvest moon, or even the Sims games. Simple little things like that can turn her around. Some women think that all games are bloody killing, fighting type games. If you show her that there are others out there that are different she may come around.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Maybe you should have married someone you had more things in common with? O.o

Anyways, Try all those Wii games targeted for non-gamer chicks. My wife plays her 360 RPGs and Pogo.com.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Regular Poster
2,160 posts
oasis has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 34
Points: 17,868, Level: 34 Points: 17,868, Level: 34 Points: 17,868, Level: 34
Level up: 20%
Level up: 20%, 882 Points needed Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

oasis

yep Pogo.com is a good start
but you cant force her to play games

but my suggestion is get a little weed and then go play mario cart for the wii just beg her this one time only to play with you because you watch all the movies she wants and because she is high she should accept and have loads of fun...

just make sure you use the wheel so she goes whoosh with her hands and turns her head

List of Games I have Beaten Click Here
Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63

Kugyince

Yeah, anime style RPGs and puzzle games work nicely.

Another good idea is to invite another couple that you're friends with over and do some drinking and play Mario Party style games. I remember we use to turn Mario Party into a drinking game itself all the time.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Regular Poster
466 posts
jeckel22 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,241, Level: 13 Points: 2,241, Level: 13 Points: 2,241, Level: 13
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 209 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

jeckel22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
Maybe you should have married someone you had more things in common with? O.o

Anyways, Try all those Wii games targeted for non-gamer chicks. My wife plays her 360 RPGs and Pogo.com.
My wife is on Pogo also. She has the club pogo subscription. $40 a year.
Quote:
I'd be crabby too if you made me eat crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post

How much is that other government crap?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 19,296 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Slime Slayer

you gotta trick them into it, start them off with personal training: cooking, and tell them its just the ultimate cook book to go along with their excellent cooking. then bring home cooking mama, then, imagine: fashion designer and nintendogs and the rest writes itself. youll be gettin your butt whooped in firepro before ya know it.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
Regular Poster
213 posts
View Stats

DoctorRyanB1

Quote:

Another good idea is to invite another couple that you're friends with over and do some drinking and play Mario Party style games. I remember we use to turn Mario Party into a drinking game itself all the time.
Heh Heh I like that idea but I don't own a Wii I would have to pick up something for GameCube or Playstation. Side note off topic whats your favorite booze Tenser. My wife and I like Jim Beam on the whiskey side.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRyanB1
Quote:

Heh Heh I like that idea but I don't own a Wii I would have to pick up something for GameCube or Playstation. Side note off topic whats your favorite booze Tenser. My wife and I like Jim Beam on the whiskey side.
I like Crown Royal and the wife likes Sambuca. As for beer, my favorite would be Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. But I enjoy any beer that resembles Hobbes' wife; bitter and cold but a nice body and great head.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 36
Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 546 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

jim5cents

lol...my route is a little different, first try doing something she likes. for example, if she likes hiking, then go hike up a mountain. and when you get to the top, ask her if she will cut you some slack on gaming. if she says no, then push her off. just a suggestion.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5cents
lol...my route is a little different, first try doing something she likes. for example, if she likes hiking, then go hike up a mountain. and when you get to the top, ask her if she will cut you some slack on gaming. if she says no, then push her off. just a suggestion.
Hiking up a mountain seems like too much effort to just push her off. At least make sure you get yours one last time.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

jim5cents

ok...make it a romantic hike, have a picnic at the end...and a tall hill will do.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Regular Poster
1,215 posts
tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 17
Points: 3,641, Level: 17 Points: 3,641, Level: 17 Points: 3,641, Level: 17
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 209 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

tanc24

Good thread!

My wife and I have also been married for nearly 5 years. She is a non-gamer, but she still recalls the good ol' days of Super Mario Bros. 3. She claims she was the BEST.

She has signed off that I will be an RU member for life. As long as I'm not chatting online with chicks, she's cool with me being a gaming nerd.
She isn't cool with games like Grand Theft Auto, so I've got to sneak playing those bad boys late at night.

Some of the suggestions above are good. Drinking and drug use will effect any woman's judgement!
If she's anything like my wife, you'll never turn her into a gamer. Your goal is simply to get her blessings to play games when you feel like it.
It's all about finding that fine balance. If she isn't cool with that, take her hiking.

For the record, my drinks:

Cocktail: Ketel One vodka and ice. Maybe a little olive juice.
Beer: Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Proud member of the GRUMPY OLD MEN!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Donor
2,621 posts
View Stats

jim5cents

you've got to be from colorado, that is the only place i've seen flat tire.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #15
Regular Poster
1,215 posts
tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats

tanc24

Close. California.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
Donor
2,680 posts
sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 24,248, Level: 38 Points: 24,248, Level: 38 Points: 24,248, Level: 38
Level up: 83%
Level up: 83%, 402 Points needed Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

sabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanc24
Beer: Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Some one who drinks the beer from my old hometown
The List of 111 games I've beaten on RU.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

I've had both of those. Not too shabby.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
Regular Poster
1,215 posts
View Stats

tanc24

That Oatmeal Stout is a very kind beer as well. It's the type of beer that I feel like I need to pour into a glass before I drink it.

Sabby didn't mention if his wife is a gamer. I'm guessing that she is to a certain extent. Couldn't live with him if she wasn't! ;D
Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #19
Donor
2,680 posts
sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 24,248, Level: 38 Points: 24,248, Level: 38 Points: 24,248, Level: 38
Level up: 83%
Level up: 83%, 402 Points needed Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

sabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanc24
Sabby didn't mention if his wife is a gamer. I'm guessing that she is to a certain extent. Couldn't live with him if she wasn't! ;D
My wife is very much a non-gamer. She plays games every once in a great while but not even close to yours truly. You know the 5 stages of grief she has successfully gone through the 5 stages of living with a gamer. Let me explain:

Stage 1 (Denial) - I can't believe you play video games.
Stage 2 (Anger) - Will you get off that darn (insert console name here)?
Stage 3 (Bargaining) - After you get through this level will you finish up (insert honey-do project here).
Stage 4 (Depression) - Why does he continue to play these games?
Stage 5 (Acceptance) - He really doesn't play all that much.

In fact, she was the one that purchased my Wii console (Father's Day gift) so she has made a full recovery. She doesn't like the fact that I play, but she accepts that it something I do.
The List of 111 games I've beaten on RU.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
Regular Poster
339 posts
The Good Doctor is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 10
Points: 1,160, Level: 10 Points: 1,160, Level: 10 Points: 1,160, Level: 10
Level up: 30%
Level up: 30%, 140 Points needed Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

The Good Doctor

no still a kid and my girlfriends a noob gamer
Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #21
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

Just for the record, though I'm sure most people already know, my wife is a new-school gamer. She owns a Gamecube and 360. Both of which I refuse to touch. :P

Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 19,296 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Slime Slayer

ive been trying to get my gf into the ds for about 3 years, ive been trying to give her my extra one with an assortment of games she'd like. every time id see a trailer that i think she'd be into, id send her the link. then just last week i went to buy a game (exit ds, crap game, returning it soon for korg ds 10) and she picks up personal trainer: cooking, and says "this does look like a good game". i just gave my extra ds to my friends gf the night before...
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #23
Regular Poster
213 posts
View Stats

DoctorRyanB1

Nice to know I'm not the only one with a non-gaming wife.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #24
Regular Poster
751 posts
Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Blue Shoe 2 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 22
Points: 6,601, Level: 22 Points: 6,601, Level: 22 Points: 6,601, Level: 22
Level up: 19%
Level up: 19%, 649 Points needed Level up: 19% Level up: 19%

Blue Shoe 2

meh... i started off coaxing my wife into games with old skool genesis. now she won't play co-op gears of war with me because she is far better.
( Click to show/hide )

This spoiler contains ponies.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #25
6,652 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

joz

My wife plays puzzle games like Bejeweled and Tetris. She's play a little S. Mario 3 if I put it on for her. Other than that, she not a big gamer. She doesn't mind that I go shopping on Ebay for NES games so long as I still take care of business and bring home some bacon.