Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Scoop This section contains interesting stories found on the web, mostly to do with retro gaming.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Scoop

View Poll Results: Do you think video games cause violence IRL?
No 5 83.33%
Yes 0 0%
Ask me again, and I swear I'm gonna ... 0 0%
Other {please specify} 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

RU Joe

Maen Striit Massacre: Vainkoover Edition

* The original name of this game was 'Main Street Massacre', however due to threat of legal action the name has since been changed to Maen Striit Massacre: Vainkoover Edition ,and minor copyrighted items such as maps displayed within the game have been censored.

Incidentally to my knowledge the events depicted in the game have not taken place in real life, making this game different from similarly themed games which were intended to mimic real events as they happened.

NSFW
( Click to show/hide )

Maen Striit Massacre: Vainkoover Edition - the game.

NSFW
( Click to show/hide )

My thoughts:

Someone made a game depicting their idea of what might happen if an armed person had a bad day and loses it while on the skytrain.
Its controversial nature automatically guaranteed them lots of exposure, which I'm guessing was their intention.
Transit authorities are alarmed by this, saying it may entice someone 'disgruntled' to act out in ways depicted by the game in real life.

Seems to me their thinking is like putting the cart before the horse;

there are working - class people everywhere who are disgruntled and some have been losing it for decades now, long before this game was even made.

For example, due to multiple incidents involving disgruntled post office workers, the English language now includes the phrase: 'going postal' = all this without any video games influencing their actions, I think is important to add.

I say:
( Click to show/hide )

Thankfully
people have video games to vent their frustrations through!

Oh I know the theory that exposure to violence in entertainment de - sensitizes people, making them more likely to become violent in real life.
In my opinion, if that theory were true, most people would/ should be violent, since most of us are exposed to violence every day in entertainment in one form or another.

Furthermore the only time I could see such a theory being possible would be where young children were being exposed - then again there's plenty of violence in kids' shows.

( Click to show/hide )

'They say there are strangers who threaten us
In our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness too dangerous
In our theaters and bookstore shelves
Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves

Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand... '

- from RUSH 'Witch Hunt'

Enough out of me, what's your guys' opinion of this?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dudebro

Re: Maen Striit Massacre: Vainkoover Edition

I dunno if I'm ok with something this specific. It might as well be called terrorist simulator.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Regular Poster
Donor
Game Mod
333 posts
Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 24
Points: 8,646, Level: 24 Points: 8,646, Level: 24 Points: 8,646, Level: 24
Level up: 75%
Level up: 75%, 204 Points needed Level up: 75% Level up: 75%

Krendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I dunno if I'm ok with something this specific. It might as well be called terrorist simulator.
People have been saying the same thing about Watch Dogs, so why not?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

I can see it being called that from what little I know about it. But at least it doesn't seem as specific.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #5
Regular Poster
1,660 posts
david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,745, Level: 23 Points: 7,745, Level: 23 Points: 7,745, Level: 23
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 305 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

david man45

Other - In the sense that everything that happens before something is part of what happens next. I mean, if you give me the simulation of doing something, is that going to make me want to do it? Maybe, and it will forever effect me. But this can't be dealt in absolutes at all, varying from person to person (obviously). Take it out of context, and give an example of a game simulating something positive. Will a positive game give the same amount of influence on people? There are millions of ideas out there in video games, and if they were all effecting us the same, we'd be reflections of them. Its as if they think people are mirrors. Is there always an absolute influence from that if the person decides to go do it? Yes. But the way these people are making it sound is that when these people play these games its nothing short of brainwashing to make them go feel a certain way or do whatever it depicts. Bottom line is that it all falls on the individual person. 'We shouldn't have guns because someone murdered someone with a gun,' do we blame the gun or the person? Anything good can be used for bad and vice versa. Why don't these people have the other side of the argument, that depicting these things will make people see that these things should *not* be done? Give me half an hour and I can come up with a worse situation than Main Street Massacre, anyone could, but what does that really prove? That I have an imagination, nothing else.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
Butterscotch
2,971 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 29
Points: 13,436, Level: 29 Points: 13,436, Level: 29 Points: 13,436, Level: 29
Level up: 99%
Level up: 99%, 14 Points needed Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

StarfoxFan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Same thing could be said of Grand Theft Auto as well