Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 1409 USD (28%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > All Other Games

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #1026
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61 Points: 71,254, Level: 61
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 19,296 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Slime Slayer

Re: The Death of Gaming

Something big is going on right now, but I have a deadline... will look into it later.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #1027
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63
Level up: 4%, 18,710 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugyince View Post
Bah, all this "equality" garbage is making me want to gag. Blah, blah blah...perfect world. Yadda yadda yadda...equal for everyone. Yech...

Anyways, capitalism dictates the development budget goes to what helps market a game. If having a gay male lead character caused games to sell more then that's what lead characters would be.

Development is not dictated by the outcries of social inequality. Publishing houses are there to make money, not push social agendas.

>inb4 "but there is a growing market for it"
>because somehow a couple of rubes on a retro gaming forum are more well tapped into financially developing markets than multi-million dollar international marketing studies.

tl;dr Gay men and non-sexualized females will become a thing when consumers actually start paying for games with gay men and non-sexualized females.
But that's what I'm saying, gay characters are starting to sell games, at least indirectly. Being gay is becoming normal and the absence of it is noticeable in games, or it was until recently. I wouldn't say a gay lead is a game seller yet but it's certainly inevitable. I don't see any way to close the flood gates now, the gay is on the way.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #1028
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Slime Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
But that's what I'm saying, gay characters are starting to sell games, at least indirectly. Being gay is becoming normal and the absence of it is noticeable in games, or it was until recently. I wouldn't say a gay lead is a game seller yet but it's certainly inevitable. I don't see any way to close the flood gates now, the gay is on the way.
You are delusional.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Quote:
What SJW stuff specifically are you guys talking about?
Kotaku's own Patricia Hernandez, she's had dozens of similar articles published and young impressionable minds have sadly been influenced, seriously get this shit out of the mainstream:

Last edited by Slime Slayer; 09-12-2014 at 01:56 AM..
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 09-12-2014, 04:28 AM   #1029
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63
Level up: 38%
Level up: 38%, 12,128 Points needed Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Kugyince

Quote:
You are absolutely delusional. I believe you're just pulling that out of your ass.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #1030
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63 Points: 111,340, Level: 63

Dudebro

Ok sure there's no market for gays in games, sounds legit.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #1031
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63 Points: 117,922, Level: 63

Kugyince

Quote:
Ok sure there's no market for gays in games, sounds legit.
Glad we agree. At least we both understand that the "I'm buying this game solely because there are gay characters" market is just too niche to be profitable. For a minute there I thought you actually believed all the garbage you were spewing. You should have just said you were playing devil's advocate all this time. Silly guy.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #1032
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Nope your totally right there's no emerging market for non hetero white males in games. Business as usual.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #1033
1,757 posts
Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33
Level up: 92%
Level up: 92%, 93 Points needed Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Mareeps

+1 (+1/-0)     

If you're playing a game because of the race or sexuality of the main, you're in the wrong hobby.

Comments

Exactly
Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #1034
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
View Stats

Kugyince

Quote:
The gay community is so shallow they'll buy anything just because it has a dude in it that prefers penises over vaginas.

/thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #1035
Kat with the hat
Game Mod
1,139 posts
KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 11,211, Level: 27 Points: 11,211, Level: 27 Points: 11,211, Level: 27
Level up: 63%
Level up: 63%, 339 Points needed Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

KATZ

Gay tetris anyone?

( Click to show/hide )
Old 09-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #1036
5,572 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 52
Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52 Points: 45,976, Level: 52
Level up: 41%
Level up: 41%, 1,074 Points needed Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

DrunkN

I agree with Tenser here. Gay themes will rise only by interest expressed with money and maybe more openly gay developers. I don't think it'll happen soon. If it ever were to happen it would cause a resurgence of people not liking thing.

Seems like people are always not liking thing.

Also the sarcasm in this thread is mounting.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #1037
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

A small studio could likely keep their doors open if the specialized in SJW themes, and had at least decent production value. However they will never move beyond just keeping their doors open.
kong on Bronies:

Old 09-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #1038
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

So all these gay characters and stories popping up recently are caused by what? A cabal of gay devs pushing unwanted stuff on gamers to further their agenda?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #1039
Regular Poster
4,154 posts
Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60
Level up: 25%
Level up: 25%, 7,624 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Seahawk

Name a few concrete examples in a large AAA game production rather than a vague "all these gay characters and stories".

Small time Steam Greenlight Early Access Kickstarter games don't count, they will never be popular and they will never swing the mainstream console base.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #1040
1,757 posts
Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33
Level up: 92%
Level up: 92%, 93 Points needed Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Mareeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Name a few concrete examples in a large AAA game production rather than a vague "all these gay characters and stories".

Small time Steam Greenlight Early Access Kickstarter games don't count, they will never be popular and they will never swing the mainstream console base.
I know The Last Of Us made a huge deal over one of the mains being a lesbian in their DLC
Old 09-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #1041
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

You need examples of gay characters and stories in recent games? I'm not talking about them being leads and selling games, like I already said.

How about Mass Effect? As part of your characters story you can be gay and have a gay relationship complete with soft core scenes of sex. Gay marriage is normal. Same goes for other Bioware games like Dragon Age.
There's also examples in Saints Row, GTA, The Last of US, Borderlands 2, Dragons Dogma, Skyrim, FO New Vegas, RDR, ect ect. There's no denying that our games are becoming more accepting of gays and in turn writing stories and characters with them in mind. Not because they think it's the PC thing to do, because there's a market for it.

Btw I think you guys are confused. I'm not saying people will buy games with gay leads because they're gay. I'm saying gay leads will sell because gay is becoming normal. The people who will refuse to buy a game because of the scary gays will become a minority.

Quote:
Steam Greenlight Early Access Kickstarter games don't count, they will never be popular
Well gee you don't sound unreasonably hostile or bias about this at all.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #1042
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

Quote:
...gay is becoming normal.
What does this even mean?
kong on Bronies:

Old 09-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #1043
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
What does this even mean?
As if you don't know. It means it's becoming part of every day life, it's becoming accepted. You know as opposed to the last few centuries when gay people were treated like criminals and mental patients.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #1044
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Kong

RU Gay Games:

What is the biggest gay plot line in gaming? Sandbox games like Sims and GTA where you can do anything and homosexuality is just not explicitly banned don't count. Minor NPC's don't count. Negative stereotypes don't count.

Sexuality in most video games matter almost zero. Is Little Mac gay? Are the Battle Toads bisexual? What about the biker dude in Road Rash? Probably a bear but the only way you know is just because he's a biker. The game never comes out and tells you.

You are playing those games to kick ass not to make the romance. What about the rooks in chess. Totally lesbian. And I bet you thought they were dudes too. Sexist.

I agree we need more variety in characters and we are probably slowly moving in that direction and $ votes but character diversity will not significantly sway $ votes in either direction. We will see more but it will be gradual and often feel tacked on for no reason. Unless it's an RPG the plot and sex are irrelevant.

Last edited by Kong; 09-12-2014 at 08:33 PM..
Old 09-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #1045
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

@Kong- I'm well aware of older examples but I excluded them because I wasn't talking about them.

Quote:
What is the biggest gay plot line in gaming?
I wouldn't know how to even google for something like that.

Quote:
Sandbox games like Sims and GTA where you can do anything and homosexuality is just not explicitly banned don't count.
GTA has a story, there's a few examples of gay characters including one they named a whole DLC after(never played it but I hear things). GTAV has one of the main characters as gay, or possibly bisexual.

You can't just dismiss sims like that. The entire point of the game is sandbox social interactions and building stuff to have social interactions in. You have to work at relationships, being gay is part of the story if you go that way. It's not just in there and under the radar it's a part of the core game.

Quote:
Sexuality in most video games matter almost zero. Is Little Mac gay? Are the Battle Toads bisexual? What about the biker dude in Road Rash? Probably a bear but the only way you know is just because he's a biker. The game never comes out and tells you.

You are playing those games to kick ass not to make the romance. What about the rooks in chess. Totally lesbian. And I bet you thought they were dudes too. Sexist.
That works if you stopped playing games like 15-20 years ago and just stuck with retro stuff.

Quote:
We will see more but it will be gradual and often feel tacked on for no reason.
We are seeing it and people do think it's tacked on.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #1046
Donor
Administrator
12,316 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 65
Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65 Points: 151,608, Level: 65
Level up: 4%, 29,342 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Kong

Quote:
I'm well aware of older examples but I excluded them because I wasn't talking about them.
I know. I included them because they are on the site and I think it is an interesting list.

@GTA story. Ok.

@sims. Emphasis added
Quote:
being gay is part of the story if you go that way.
The idea of a sand box game like the Sims intentionally artificially limiting your choices because of discrimination is over. I think nearly all games like this will give you the choose to be gay. But I don't think a sand box choice is the same as an on rails story where a lead character is gay.

The first is "we will give the player as much option as we technically can" the other is "we have a story to tell and you are gay." Big difference. One is just not taking something away. The other is adding something.

Quote:
That works if you stopped playing games like 15-20 years ago and just stuck with retro stuff.
I figured.

A personal pet peeve is tacked on love stories in movies. A movie that is nothing about a relationship, within the first 5 mins there is a guy and a girl in a scene together. You instantly know they are going to bang because it is the main character and someone of the opposite sex talking and no one would ever do that if they weren't going to have sex as soon as they were alone. An hour later they do, then they go on with the rest of the movie. It is predictable and has nothing to do with the story and dumb.

I am guessing the same is true of modern games. Though I wouldn't know because I did stop playing new games around 20 years ago.

Last edited by Kong; 09-12-2014 at 09:28 PM..
Old 09-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #1047
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
I think nearly all games like this will give you the choose to be gay.
Nah, stuff like Sims is still the exception. That's why I said earlier that the absence is being noticed.

Quote:
But I don't think a sand box choice is the same as an on rails story where a lead character is gay.
I disagree. If you decide to play Sims as gay then your story is reflecting that. I think you're thinking about Sims the wrong way, it's not a total sandbox it still has rules and things happen along a similar path. It's mainly sandbox because you have a lot of freedom to choose within their parameters. In the most recent game the focus has shifted even further towards social interactions so in a way being gay could be see as a large portion of the story.

Quote:
I am guessing the same is true of modern games.
Yup for the most part but not as bad. Like in Mass Effect you have the dialogue options for romance but you could avoid it completely if you want. Bioware is good like that.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #1048
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

Quote:
Nah, stuff like Sims is still the exception. That's why I said earlier that the absence is being noticed.
That's part of the problem, it's being notice by Kotaku, Polygon, Rockpapershot gun etc. They have convinced you that people care, people don't care.
kong on Bronies:

Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #1049
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
View Stats

Dudebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
That's part of the problem, it's being notice by Kotaku, Polygon, Rockpapershot gun etc. They have convinced you that people care, people don't care.
So the gaming media and the people who comment on their articles notice it but they're wrong because stevencassidy says so?
Old 09-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #1050
Regular Poster
11,175 posts
View Stats

Slime Slayer

Quote:
So the gaming media and the people who comment on their articles notice it but they're wrong because stevencassidy says so?
stevencassidy13, and yes.
kong on Bronies: