Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 940 USD (38%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported 100% by donations from users like you! We have zero ads and no membership fees.
Please help us stay free and growing.
All donations are used to improve the site. Current projects: adding GBA and N64 games and improving the emulators used to submit scores.
List of Donors Thank you.

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 96,124, Level: 62 Points: 96,124, Level: 62 Points: 96,124, Level: 62
Level up: 28%
Level up: 28%, 14,626 Points needed Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

The works of Stephen King

These posts were moved from the movie remakes thread. This is the topic to talk about anything related to Stephen Kings creations.

About IT and other Steven King books/movies, he claims that he wrote them to tie into his Dark Tower story. Without getting into spoilers Pennywise is referenced in lots of other books and there's a couple references in the Dark Tower that tie him into the main plot.

If you mean his final form when confronted then that's explained as the only way humans can see his true form, his real form being impossible for us to comprehend. On it's own that seems cheap and lame but when seen as part of the whole tapestry it makes sense, at least imo.

Last edited by Dudebro; 07-05-2011 at 02:58 AM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 16,746, Level: 33 Points: 16,746, Level: 33 Points: 16,746, Level: 33
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 904 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Re: Movie Remakes

I think he wrote the Dark Tower books to tie into his other stories. It actually predates the Dark Tower series, I believe.

Yeah, it wasn't so much the final form, as how easily the final form was defeated, that bugged me.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power; its burning grip tells me to defeat you! SHINING FINGER!"
I can be found on my blog more often than not (occasionally NSFW)
Old 07-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Nah the first book of the Dark Tower came out in 82 and IT came out in 86. He claims that he had all this cross story stuff outlined early on. He may be pulling our legs but if so he still did a good job of crossing his stories into each other.

( Click to show/hide )
He was defeated so easily because of their combined power, kinda like their faith. It's heavily implied that the god entity helped them and IT underestimated them and it's help. It's a classic god vs evil battle really.

Btw don't forget that they defeated him as kids and thought he was dead but they had to return and finish the job. That's not exactly an easy kill.

But it's also implied that IT didn't die or at least his offspring didn't. In the Dark Tower they encounter a spider like creature that is very similar to IT, even bringing up the clown thing. He's much weaker but that could be because he's just a spawn of the real thing.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I always thought the Dark Tower series was later than that. Ah well, whatever.

( Click to show/hide )

One of my problems with the ending to It was the stupid "power of friendship/love/faith" ending. Good cannot triumph evil just because of those three things.
A group of humans versus an ancient, immortal evil that has had a hell of a long time to perfect it's powers, it shouldn't have gone down that easily. Even though It was defeated when they were younger, It shouldn't have been that much weaker when they were adults.

Either way, save for the ending, that book was amazing.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power; its burning grip tells me to defeat you! SHINING FINGER!"
Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

I think you're being too critical and expecting too much. Most of Kings books have crappy endings imo, the Dark Tower is no exception. I completely agree that the ending of IT was lackluster but it did stick to the book so we can at least be thankful for that, most movies don't. To me it doesn't really matter, Tim Curry as Pennywise was so disturbing that it makes up for it. The new movie has huge shoes to fill if he's not reprising the role.

30 seconds in still freaks me out. Damn that's scary.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,149 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 104,571, Level: 62 Points: 104,571, Level: 62 Points: 104,571, Level: 62
Level up: 70%
Level up: 70%, 6,179 Points needed Level up: 70% Level up: 70%

The first Dark Tower book was published in 1977 in a magazine.
Stephen King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The idea for all of his books to share the same world seems to have come very early in his career which is pretty cool.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
View Stats

The fact that he put all of his books together from the start of his career makes it all fit together well, as opposed to if he claimed they were all a connected world later on. That explains the common figure of Randall Flagg. He is just behind Pennywise when it comes to creepy villains from Stephen King.
( Click to show/hide )
Deciding to connect them after the plots are already majorly disconnected is like how the Dissida games connected all of the Final Fantasy games by The Rift, just so it would make sense that Gilgamesh knows everyone, ever.

Yeah, Tim Curry was the perfect Pennywise.
The movie was pretty true to the book. You don't see that a lot.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

If you haven't read the Dark Tower you probably should. There's lots of nice cross overs in there that you'd probably appreciate.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
View Stats

I read the first book in the series, I believe it was called "The Gunslinger", that was good. I'll keep a lookout for the rest of the series, I've always wanted to read them all.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

Like I said before the ending is meh but it's worth the read.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
View Stats

To be honest, the ending of The Gunslinger was less than optimal. So long as the other parts of the series don't pull that tier of crap on me at the end, it's all good.
( Click to show/hide )

Rolan fell asleep and when he woke up, twenty years had passed. Just out of nowhere, he was tired from his journey and slept for twenty years.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

I forget the details but the version I read was altered to flow with the main story. You might've read the original version of The Gunslinger.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,149 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 104,571, Level: 62 Points: 104,571, Level: 62 Points: 104,571, Level: 62

I read the the first 3 when I was about 12-13. I read the last 4 when I was about 26. I am 33 now. I loved them. The last one was a bit weak, but I can't imagine a better ending. It is a very hard series to end.

I got the third book for Christmas when I was 13. It was the third best xmas gift I ever received. SMS and Genesis were the first 2.

The first one was rewritten, but I didn't read the updated version.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

Re: The works of Stephen King

I think the last book was good right up until the ending. It just seemed so underwhelming. If the rest of the story wasn't so detailed and far reaching it wouldn't be a big deal for me. It just seemed out of place. But I'd still recommend the books to anyone interested in Stephen King or even fantasy in general.

When I read the revised version I think it separated the new stuff but I can't remember. I know there was some distinction so I knew there was a difference.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,438 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 24,508, Level: 38 Points: 24,508, Level: 38 Points: 24,508, Level: 38
Level up: 94%
Level up: 94%, 142 Points needed Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 59%
Activity: 59% Activity: 59% Activity: 59%

I liked The Regulators and its sequel, Desperation, which I thought would have made great movies if they were done properly with good CGI, not like the King movie adaptions of the 80's such as The Tommyknockers -
{for those who have seen the movie but haven't read the book, please read the book because it's way better}

Tak scared me in The Regulators {and I thought the kid's imagination was just wild}, but then I read Desperation and Collie scared me even more.
Probably what disturbed me most about him was his internal monologue, and it sticks with me even to this day ..
'Our interest lies in stopping those who would see all good falter. . . . it lies in stopping the powers of misrule from coming of age!'
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
Game Mod
2,573 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 26
Points: 10,409, Level: 26 Points: 10,409, Level: 26 Points: 10,409, Level: 26
Level up: 74%
Level up: 74%, 241 Points needed Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 46%
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

I liked the miniseries adaptation of The Stand as well as the book. Didn't care for Hearts of Atlantis though nor the Green Mile
[LEFT]
[CENTER]Tecmo Super Bowl- Wrecking havoc since 1989

Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

What?! Green Mile was awesome!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Poster
Game Mod
2,573 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 26
Points: 10,409, Level: 26 Points: 10,409, Level: 26 Points: 10,409, Level: 26
Level up: 74%
Level up: 74%, 241 Points needed Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 46%
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

I can't picture Tom Hanks in a serious role...
[LEFT]
[CENTER]Tecmo Super Bowl- Wrecking havoc since 1989

Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

Well that's weird, why?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
168 posts
mario90s has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,180, Level: 13 Points: 2,180, Level: 13 Points: 2,180, Level: 13
Level up: 40%
Level up: 40%, 270 Points needed Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

All this talk about how IT was a great adaption but not one mention of stanely kubricks the shining. Sure the movie wasn't really a good adaption of kings novel but to be fair, on its own stanley kubric made a pretty damn creepy if not scary movie.

I have yet to read the novel but from what I heard its a pretty conventional horror story and completetly states even obviously at times that the lodge/hotel is haunted.
Unlike which surprisngly let's the viewer decide whether the overlook is really haunted or that its just the torrence family going crazy.

I haven't seen IT but the idea of Tim Curry as a demonic clown is interesting. I also liked Misery because of Kathy Bates' performance and the fact that it put me on the edge of my seat at times.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

Good point The Shining was really good despite not following the book. It probably helped a lot that they had Jack Nicholson though, he can read a phone book and people love him.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGrotowski View Post
I liked The Regulators and its sequel, Desperation, which I thought would have made great movies if they were done properly with good CGI, not like the King movie adaptions of the 80's such as The Tommyknockers -
{for those who have seen the movie but haven't read the book, please read the book because it's way better}

Tak scared me in The Regulators {and I thought the kid's imagination was just wild}, but then I read Desperation and Collie scared me even more.
Probably what disturbed me most about him was his internal monologue, and it sticks with me even to this day ..
Desperation was awesome. It scarred the crap out of me, that was one hell of a sheriff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfoxFan2009 View Post
I liked the miniseries adaptation of The Stand as well as the book. Didn't care for Hearts of Atlantis though nor the Green Mile
I loved Hearts in Atlantis and The Green Mile, The Stand was great too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario90s View Post
All this talk about how IT was a great adaption but not one mention of stanely kubricks the shining. Sure the movie wasn't really a good adaption of kings novel but to be fair, on its own stanley kubric made a pretty damn creepy if not scary movie.
Stanley Kubric usually departs from the source material to some degree, and ends up with movies that are amazing anyway. Like A Clockwork Orange, it was different from the book in so many ways, yet it turned out to be an awesome movie as well.
Yeah, that version of The Shining was scary as hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatglobe 95 View Post
do you guys think there's gonna be a remake of the movie "it" based on lorimar-telepictures tv movie of that time?i just wanna know.
Yeah, it is a good possibility that we will see one.

When it comes to Stephen King, I honestly prefer his less supernatural works. Hearts in Atlantis, The Green Mile {Yeah, John Coffey had that healing power, but it wasn't demons and ghosts and things}, Misery {probably one of my favorite books and movies out there}, The Shawshank Redemption {I preferred the movie to the short story, in this case}, Stand by Me {I believe it was based on one of his short stories called "The Body", or something like that}.

I don't know why, but things like Misery that have more of a psychological component than a supernatural component get to me a lot more.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,149 posts
View Stats

I've read a lot of King. And most of it is very long winded and gets boring. But some of it is extremely good.

His best books are
Rita_Hayworth_and_Shawshank_Redemption Rita_Hayworth_and_Shawshank_Redemption

The Body (Stand By Me)
The_Eyes_of_the_Dragon The_Eyes_of_the_Dragon
(target audience is children/teenagers. Great book but will be boring to an adult.)

The Dark Tower (especially good if you have read several other King books first.)
Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
View Stats

I, too have read a lot of King, and I've found most of it enjoyable.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,065 posts
View Stats

So he made another book for The Dark Tower. I'm on the fence until I read it I guess. It seems like shameless cashing in or just going for the easy story since it's popular but it could be ok.

Stephen King announces new novel in Dark Tower series — Maine Living — Bangor Daily News

Quote:
The book “won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun,” King said in the announcement letter.

Btw I don't read the Bangor news someone linked it to me, from Maine.