Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 05-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
5,566 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 52
Points: 45,259, Level: 52 Points: 45,259, Level: 52 Points: 45,259, Level: 52
Level up: 1%
Level up: 1%, 1,791 Points needed Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Win War Quick Schemes

Over my years I've heard several crazy tactics that have been used to win wars. Some of them are pretty interesting and funny. I just thought I'd make a topic to share some and hear some.

I've heard that in WW2 North Africa, the Germans considered driving over piles of camel poop to bring good luck. That's why American soldiers planted land mines under them.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Re: Win War Quick Schemes

General Sherman encouraged white poachers to kill all buffalo because once the buffalo were extinct the Indians would have no way to live through the winter.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

One that actually worked, was during the siege of Stalingrad, the Soviet forces decided not to fight back intensely, but just hold steady until winter, which no one not accustomed to couldn't survive.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
5,566 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I heard a rumor that in the civil war, Northerners would march in circles around forests to make Confederates think that there were way more soldiers than there actually were.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

That is true, and it worked.
I can't think of any odd strategies right now.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
21 posts
Davidizer13MK2 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 1
Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1
Level up: 30%
Level up: 30%, 53 Points needed Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

The Russians' scorched earth policy against Napoleon's Grand Army. The Russians just burned everything they couldn't take with them and retreated until the French army was completely burnt out.

Also, about that camel dung trick DN mentioned? Apparently after a while, the Germans wised up and told their tank drivers not to run over camel dung. So the Allied soldiers made mines that looked like camel poop that had been run over by a tank.
Chicks dig giant burning cyborg lava ogres.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidizer13MK2 View Post
The Russians' scorched earth policy against Napoleon's Grand Army. The Russians just burned everything they couldn't take with them and retreated until the French army was completely burnt out.
This isn't exclusive to this conflict by any means, it's been done since the dawn of man probably. It's called a war of attrition. It's usually not desirable unless you are desperate or out to destroy your enemy.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidizer13MK2 View Post

Also, about that camel dung trick DN mentioned? Apparently after a while, the Germans wised up and told their tank drivers not to run over camel dung. So the Allied soldiers made mines that looked like camel poop that had been run over by a tank.
Maybe the German's idea for running over that camel dung was to find better footing for their tanks so they wouldn't be so likely to get stuck?
{the logic being that if the camel walked over that area, it's likely to be a safe place for the tank, too. Sort of using the animals' instincts to their advantage.}

About camouflage/ mimic {war} devices:
I once heard that as recently as the '90's things similar to this were done, but in a much more sinister way.

Emergency food packets being dropped into war torn towns and villages
{I forgot exactly where} were in a bright yellow plastic capsule, which looked almost identical to the bright yellow unexploded bomblets from the cluster bombs which had been recently used in the same area.
So
when a person, starving from the conditions their region has been left in by the conflict that rolled through it, finds what they think is an emergency food packet and goes to pick it up, the bomblet explodes, usually resulting in the person's death and possibly killing or injuring anyone nearby as well.

I think of the picture I saw of a young child killed by a bomblet, and can say that whoever came up with this idea was a very evil person.

Then I think of the TV show {years back when I used to watch TV}
'Modern Weapons', and the episode I saw where the guy is demonstrating a device which fit the damage pattern to that child perfectly, and I got a chill when he said 'That's cool' or something like that.

The point I'm trying to make is that these things are NOT cool; the John Wayne/ GI JOE propaganda machine tries to sell war and death as the way to rid the World of evil, but just look what happens when things like unexploded cluster bomb bomblets are introduced to the World.
yeah I know I'm ranting.

Last edited by RU Joe; 05-03-2010 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: animal logic
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 36
Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 546 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonmask
One that actually worked, was during the siege of Stalingrad, the Soviet forces decided not to fight back intensely, but just hold steady until winter, which no one not accustomed to couldn't survive.
not exactly a win quick scheme...the battle of stalingrad was one of the costliest battles in terms of life in all of human history.

Last edited by jim5cents; 05-03-2010 at 04:11 AM..
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,122 posts
fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 11
Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11
Level up: 91%
Level up: 91%, 19 Points needed Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

Ok, but what about hiding weapons in unusual places? An umbrella could be used as a gun if somebody thought about it.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
5,566 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir1887 View Post
Ok, but what about hiding weapons in unusual places? An umbrella could be used as a gun if somebody thought about it.
Okay, but how often are you out fighting when it's rainy?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64

They can also be used as shade on a sunny day.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
5,566 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Well sure, I guess it's just not "traditional". After a while you'd get kind of suspicious of people with umbrellas when it's 80 F out.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 29
Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 190 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

let's look at how many russian defectors were killed via umbrella guns with poison pellets
Old 05-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Quote:
.....Originally Posted by Kong

Well sure, I guess it's just not "traditional". After a while you'd get kind of suspicious of people with umbrellas when it's 80 F out.

That's a pretty common sight here in Vancouver, even when it's like 40C.
Could it be a Vancouverite tradition?

SFF:
Quote:
let's look at how many russian defectors were killed via umbrella guns with poison pellets
Shhhh, you're not supposed to know about those kind of things.
They don't really exist {except in the minds of us Tinfoil Hat - Wearing Conspiracy Nuts} so you aren't supposed to talk about them.
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

oh really? I've seen a ton of shows on the HIstory Channel and it's mentioned infrequently
Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
5,566 posts
View Stats

If a bunch of guys started using umbrellas as guns, wouldn't you just steer clear of or shoot guys with umbrellas?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
View Stats

that's why there are so few with them
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,122 posts
fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats

Let's look back at history. The use of fire as a weapon was unconventional, but effective. The Battle of Red Bluffs, which the Kingdom of Wei lost due to fire attack, is a prime example. People thought that was weird back then, maybe not so much now.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
View Stats

There was a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_War"]Potato War[/ame]. Instead of fighting the soldiers ran around digging up potatoes to starve the other side.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,122 posts
View Stats

I'm familiar with that. That was ridiculous and didn't even work at all. All that led to was a very brisk confrontation.