Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

View Poll Results: Do you like Youtube?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 0 0%
Sometimes 4 36.36%
Other {please specify} 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

What is happening to Youtube?

Whether you are a fan of his or not, Doug Walker A.K.A. 'The Nostalgia Critic' posted a video just over a week ago describing sudden, unannounced changes to Youtube channels this year {not only his, by the way}:

What The Hell You Tube?

The very next day, the problems were fixed:

What The Hell You Tube? Part 2

As he states, he and his team were going through proper channels for around 3 weeks prior, and it was only after he posted the first video {and lots of people complained and posted similar videos describing the same kind of problems}that suddenly the problems got fixed.

Now, I need to state that not only is Youtube an excellent platform for many different things, but for many people like myself it literally IS my 'TV' {which I gave up decades ago, by the way}.
To be fair, I understand there are reasons why certain videos and channels are being deleted or getting 'stikes' against them but thankfully not all.

I'm rambling because frankly I don't really know what to say about this except besides being a primary source of entertainment and news, Youtube is literally half the reason I even keep my Internet in the first place.

Enough out of me, what do you guys think?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
6,654 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Re: What is happening to Youtube?

I'm in the same boat as you, Joe. Youtube is my primary source of info and entertainment. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at here with your post. It seems to me that there is a hiccup in the system and nothing more. As Mr. Walker stated in his vid, the masses will rally for their preferred channels and at the end of the day, I think the issue will be resolved one way or another. Now I must leave... I left my egg scramble on low heat.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, Joe. Youtube is my primary source of info and entertainment. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at here with your post. It seems to me that there is a hiccup in the system and nothing more. As Mr. Walker stated in his vid, the masses will rally for their preferred channels and at the end of the day, I think the issue will be resolved one way or another. Now I must leave... I left my egg scramble on low heat.
I think I had a small panic attack because of that 'hiccup' is what this amounts to.
Sure, I know it's 'too good to be true' that I can watch all kinds of TV shows and movies people post for free {yet I maintain this also serves as free advertising too - I once bought the box set of Cowboy Bebop on DVD after discovering it on Youtube, and other things as well which I may not have become aware of otherwise} but as they say 'All good things must come to an end'

And I saw the 'hiccup' as a potential beginning of that end.

On that note I know if Youtube vanished suddenly I would live on, but I would be far less entertained and would miss the multitude of informative and instructional videos people post there.
In fact, the original and independent content is just as enjoyable anything the entertainment industry puts out, and augments or surpasses it in many cases {Nostalgia Critic being one example}.

The fact that pretty much anyone can make and post videos is the most amazing thing to me {something only dreamed of when I was young}, and if I thought I could produce something halfway interesting on a regular basis I might too, with the potential to make a few dollars being a nice but not necessary perk.

Overall I suppose this thread is actually a celebration of everything Youtube has to offer, and I really do appreciate it far more than I ever did TV, Videotapes, or DVD's, even though a lot of that content is found there too.
And I'm glad it seems it will be around for a while longer of course.
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

There are no hiccups. YouTube has been cracking down hard on stuff lately. Hell, even a year ago I could type "planes trains and automobiles" into YouTube and watch the damn film. Now they are taking videos down because of something as simple as a screenshot. It's happening hard in viyda reviews or let's plays, movies, and I hear it's hitting really hard in anime too.

And it would seem, at least to a degree, they are relying on some sort of ai to handle this for them.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
6,654 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Well, if a movie or anime is being removed due to copyright infringement, they have every right to remove them and we really shouldn't be complaining about that. That's not saying I won't watch it if it's there before it gets removed. I just know and understand why some vids get removed. There are plenty of sites where you can watch movies and anime without worrying if it's going to get removed.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I'd say about 70% of my viewing content comes from the Twitch e-sports scene. The other 30% is a mixture of YouTube and anime.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Also, fuck Archon and Tempo Storm.

Solo-Mid and Liquid ftw.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz View Post
Well, if a movie or anime is being removed due to copyright infringement, they have every right to remove them and we really shouldn't be complaining about that. That's not saying I won't watch it if it's there before it gets removed. I just know and understand why some vids get removed. There are plenty of sites where you can watch movies and anime without worrying if it's going to get removed.
Of course it within the owners rights to remove their content whenever they please. But holy frig though.. A simple screenshot?
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 02-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
593 posts
Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,473, Level: 23 Points: 7,473, Level: 23 Points: 7,473, Level: 23
Level up: 28%
Level up: 28%, 577 Points needed Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

They remove a ton of stuff that's protected under fair use laws. Youtube doesn't give a shit. Also there was some....idk. Drama? That came with youtube red that led to certain groups not showing their content in different countries. Which sucks because there are several songs that I can't listen to anymore.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeluxe View Post
They remove a ton of stuff that's protected under fair use laws. Youtube doesn't give a shit. Also there was some....idk. Drama? That came with youtube red that led to certain groups not showing their content in different countries. Which sucks because there are several songs that I can't listen to anymore.
Exactly, for example: I just downloaded an app on my ipad that has thousands of screenshots from various video games. It's all completely legal and falls under fair use. Youtube would just delete the video.

Youtube (Twitter also as it were) are opening the doors for the next big thing to come on in and take over.
kong on Bronies:

Old 02-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

SC I think you're right when you say something else may be on its way to take over, so I'm watching everything I enjoy before it's gone.

---------- Post added 02-16-2016 at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-13-2016 at 03:47 PM ----------

Where's The Fair Use? - Nostalgia Critic

Quote:
No more staying silent.
The time has come to start some dialogue about Fair Use and how it's constantly being trampled on via the YouTube claim and take down system.
This is getting ridiculous when people who aren't even showing clips or screenshots are getting in trouble.

Hollywood {and the Entertainment Industry as a whole} want us to watch/ listen to their stuff, talk about it, buy the CD's/ i Tunes, go to the concerts, buy the T shirts, go to their movies/ watch the TV shows, go on the associated rides at the theme parks, visit the shoot locations, get the tattoos, etc. to perpetuate what they produce, yet they act this way?

Their attitude makes me want to say 'shun the Entertainment Industry' but it's something unthinkable in today's world.

Entertainment
is all most of us have; it is our adventure, our fantasy, our getaway {as sad as that is} - so clearly there is zero chance people will give it up, stop talking about it, etc.

I've said it many times before but there are several things I discovered {Amon Amarth, Babymetal, Cowboy Bebop, to name a few} which served as free advertising for them and led to purchases of CD's and DVD's, and my going to concerts which I probably would not have, had I not had the opportunity to discover these things through someone posting them on Youtube.

Once again I find myself at a loss for {decent, inoffensive} words so instead of going on a profanity - laden rant I'll cut myself off and ask what you guys think .. but as we all know, this isn't over yet .. 'The Saga Continues'.

Last edited by RU Joe; 02-16-2016 at 11:02 PM..
( Click to show/hide )

Old 02-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mr. Sparkle
Donor
Game Mod
1,856 posts
ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 55
Points: 52,009, Level: 55 Points: 52,009, Level: 55 Points: 52,009, Level: 55
Level up: 72%
Level up: 72%, 541 Points needed Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Unfortunately, this isn't anything new, but it's getting worse. Hell, even the fucking Cool Cat guy has issued unfair copyright strikes. In his case, I think he doesn't understand what fair use actually is, but I bet the studios know exactly what they're doing.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." -George Carlin

Old 02-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
View Stats

If you watch that last nostalgia critic vid, you'd see videos taken down that literally had zero audio, footage or screenshots. Literally 2 dudes sitting in a car talking about a movie.
kong on Bronies:

Old 02-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,704 posts
elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 32
Points: 15,818, Level: 32 Points: 15,818, Level: 32 Points: 15,818, Level: 32
Level up: 34%
Level up: 34%, 732 Points needed Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Also I had no idea that the Copyright holder making the claim can have the money go to them in the interim. That is just begging them to abuse it.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 1,344 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Team Four Star (creators of the very popular Dragon Ball Z Abridged series) got their channel taken down by Youtube today with no warning. Creators confirmed it was not Funimation so this is definitely on Youtube's end. Youtube is trying really hard to fuck themselves over.

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 02-24-2016, 02:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
View Stats

If I knew how to do it, I would be building an alternative to Youtube as we speak, "Newtube". Not so simple of course, and I wouldn't be looking forward to the redtape that Youtube has to deal with now, but I'd sure as hell make it more user friendly. As Elrod mention, the fact that any advertising earned during the investigation automatically goes towards the accuser with no way to get it back?!
kong on Bronies:

Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,704 posts
elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 32
Points: 15,818, Level: 32 Points: 15,818, Level: 32 Points: 15,818, Level: 32
Level up: 34%
Level up: 34%, 732 Points needed Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyChicken View Post
Team Four Star (creators of the very popular Dragon Ball Z Abridged series) got their channel taken down by Youtube today with no warning. Creators confirmed it was not Funimation so this is definitely on Youtube's end. Youtube is trying really hard to fuck themselves over.
Actually my daughter mentioned this to me yesterday. She knows many people involved in that channel. Apparently they had problems with this 4 years ago but thought it was all resolved. Now this.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyChicken View Post
It was Toei:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KaiserNek...26449458417666

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

And it's back up, what a mess, way to go YouTube!
kong on Bronies: