Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

View Poll Results: Does Uwe Boll have any soul?
Boll's head should roll! 8 61.54%
His movies put me in the hospital. 0 0%
I'm still in therapy. 2 15.38%
Uwe who? 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Uwe Boll and terrible video game movies.

This is a thread about Uwe Boll

the director who consistently makes horrible movie adaptations of video games
- and yet still gets contracts to make more!

Some great games I know which he failed to adapt to film:

Alone in the Dark - dark is right! I could hardly see anything.
They really should have stuck with the haunted house theme.

Bloodrayne - not a great career move for Ben Kingsley or Kristianna Loken.
This is Uwe's worst offense, in my opinion.

Silent Hill
- where are the nurse demons? I felt like I was watching The Wicker Man - with fog.

I believe these movies have done no good for the games industry as a whole.
People who have not played these great games may not ever want to should they happen to see Uwe's movie version beforehand.

Then there is the real question in my mind -
why did they let this guy make more than one movie adaptation?
Did they not see the other shows he had made?

IN general I have one major complaint about these and all game movies:

when they adapt a game into a movie, why do they change so many things - is the original concept not good enough?

(On that matter Uwe isn't the only one who did that: Max Payne was nearly unrecognizable in the characters' movie personas and the addition of the 'Dark Valkyries' as seen by Valkyr users.)

My point is that the game itself was good enough to sell the billions of copies which in turn allowed for the making of the movie adaptation, so what gives?
Just once I would like to see a literal translation of game to film with no changes.

Certainly Uwe isn't going to provide this, but if you want to criticize him in person I understand that he extends an open invitation to meet him in the boxing ring.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 29
Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 190 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

Re: Uwe Boll and terrible video game movies.

Uwe Boll seriously needs to get out of film making. He has yet to make a excellent movie. I'd take him anyday in boxing.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

SFF2009:
Quote:
I'd take him anyday in boxing.
So you think his boxing career is unsteady too, eh?
I get the feeling that he fights better than he films.
Perhaps we should hope so for his sake.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 29
Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29
Level up: 81%, 190 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

He's sure as heck no Iron Mike Tyson or golden boy Oscar De La Hoya
Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

I had no idea who he was until now. I never saw Alone in the Dark nor Bloodrayne, but Silent Hill was a decent movie. It's also the only game I've played of three.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

JZ3000:
Quote:
Silent Hill was a decent movie. It's also the only game I've played of three.
If you played the game, then weren't you disappointed not to have seen a whole 'hospital' section in the movie?
That was half of the game's appeal for me.

Also, I wonder why James never made it as the lead character; but then I already said I am in favor of literal translation.
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Yeah it would have been nice to see all of the game in the movie, but then that would make for a very long movie. I never really finished the game iether, so I don't remember too much about it. I had rented it back in the day and didn't get to finish it on time. I did like how the creepy babies turned out.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

His movies make me cry, but not in the sad movie way, the why the hell did I just watch this crap way.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

JZ3000:
These games are on their way out it seems as I have been getting games for Gamecube/PS2 for 5-15 dollars CAN.
This is the perfect time to go find the ones you never got to finish -
(pawnshops still have them at decent prices, but watch out for game specialty stores and flea markets as they try to sell them as 'rare antiques' and the price goes way up.)
and Silent Hill 2 has a worthy ending, in my opinion.

I can't say I remember creepy babies too vividly, but I sure do remember that haunted prison - it's just as scary as the hospital or perhaps even more so.

DM:
I am a believer, when it comes to new movie titles I'm interested in.
Looking forward to a new theatrical experience I suspend disbelief and allow the movie to take me on a ride.

It becomes disappointing when the premise of the movie is betrayed by inconsistencies, changes to the characters and storyline which make no logical sense, and cinematography so dark it is impossible to distinguish what you are looking at on the screen even in a dark room.

It sounds to me like you fall into this trap the same way I and a lot of other people do.
The difference with me is that I seem to have a need to see these movies for myself, even after other people warn me how awful they are.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I do the same thing, no matter how bad reviews are I still need to see the horrors myself.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
1,757 posts
Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33
Level up: 92%
Level up: 92%, 93 Points needed Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

he makes such bad movies because of a german loop hole where if his movies don't profit, he makes money.

or so i heard
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

Sounds reasonable.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

DM:
Quote:
I do the same thing, no matter how bad reviews are I still need to see the horrors myself.
I've found through the years that I have unusual tastes when it comes to entertainment, and a lot of the popular 'classics' are movies I don't like at all.

That, coupled with the fact that the critic's reviews (not the Nostalgia Critic or Your Nostalgia Chick, though) often pooh - poohed movies that I really enjoy helped me to realize that just because they say it's bad doesn't mean it is absolutely.

I like a lot of movies that critics say are bad, and in fact I really enjoy bad movies for the most part - weird as it seems - I like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros. and all of those once in a while.
I place them in the same category as Kung - Fu movies.
Sometimes they're so bad it makes them good.

Perhaps it's because I'm not a nit - picker when it comes to the details of the shows, but Uwe Boll's shows are hard not to nit - pick, I find, due to the fact that he has the technology to follow the original storylines and settings but seems to refuse to do so.
The games he adapts to film aren't 8 - bit nintendo games, either.

BM12344:

Quote:
he makes such bad movies because of a german loop hole where if his movies don't profit, he makes money.
I remember hearing the same thing, and I wonder how he pulled the same scam more than once.
Not that it's a real 'scam' in the classic sense but really, if you were that body paying out money to a failed film maker such as Uwe, wouldn't you eventually question allowing him to do it again?

I think I would say:
'Sorry mister, your last projects were failures and it's starting to look like you do it deliberately to take advantage of this loophole.
No more money for you.'
( Click to show/hide )

Old 02-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

I believe we've discussed this here before but I can't find the topic. Either way it seems like you guys haven't heard of the petition.
Stop Dr. Uwe Boll Petition
It's got 352,059 signatures and growing. Not that it really matters and it won't change anything but it's a start.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,122 posts
fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 11
Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11
Level up: 91%
Level up: 91%, 19 Points needed Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

I agree. Still, I hate Boll's efforts as a director. He'd have ruined a movie like Tomb Raider and made it a true flop in the sense of the word. I am so glad he wasn't behind that movie.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Looks like Favre in the first pic.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I believe we've discussed this here before but I can't find the topic. Either way it seems like you guys haven't heard of the petition.
Stop Dr. Uwe Boll Petition
It's got 352,059 signatures and growing. Not that it really matters and it won't change anything but it's a start.
I signed.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

If Uwe Boll directed Tomb Raider:

No offense to Rowan Atkinson.
I'm not so sure about Angelina Jolie.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

That picture is pretty disturbing.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
121 posts
xfighter1138 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 6
Points: 693, Level: 6 Points: 693, Level: 6 Points: 693, Level: 6
Level up: 93%
Level up: 93%, 7 Points needed Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Send a message via AIM to xfighter1138

Uwe Boll didn't direct Silent Hill, some guy from France did.

I've only seen Postal and House of the Dead.

Postal is just proof that Dave Foley is a washup these days.

House of the Dead is alright.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

XF1138:
Quote:
Uwe Boll didn't direct Silent Hill, some guy from France did.
I didn't know that.
Well, some guy in France seems like he never saw the game since James and the nurse demons were not in the movie.

It's like a burger without the pickle - good, but not the same.

( Click to show/hide )

Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,122 posts
fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 11
Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11
Level up: 91%
Level up: 91%, 19 Points needed Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

Uwe Boll is still a director with no talent. If I could get my hands on him with other people who hate him, I'd lynch him. I hate his movies!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Oh yeah Bloodrayne I remember that film.

( Click to show/hide )

Remove Pootis
Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond View Post
Oh yeah Bloodrayne I remember that film.
All I remember is the sex scene, which I will not post here for obvious reasons. That part was okay, It's not like I'd look for it though.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

F1887:
Quote:
Uwe Boll is still a director with no talent. If I could get my hands on him with other people who hate him, I'd lynch him. I hate his movies!
I'm certain you mean that as a figure of speech.
If you want blood, he has offered an opportunity to get some in a boxing match.
So far as hating his movies, I guess I do too, but they're the only video game movies there are so that's just as good as it gets for now.

Due to their hideous nature you can get them for about 5 dollars each if you need to see games movies so in that way it's kind of Ok.

DM:
Quote:
All I remember is the sex scene, which I will not post here for obvious reasons. That part was okay, It's not like I'd look for it though.
OH BOY, do I ever remember that scene.
Alright, I believe most fans of the game think Bloodrayne is hot and no doubt have had some impure thoughts about that character = this is only natural.

I think Uwe put that scene in the movie to acknowledge her sex appeal, but the timing of the scene and particularly its L E N G T H was not only awkward, but also embarrassing the way it never seemed to end.

My point is that it's a movie about Bloodrayne, not some ARRRRR rated soft porn.

Sorry, but it's the truth.
( Click to show/hide )