Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60
Level up: 25%
Level up: 25%, 7,624 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Twitch Plays Pokémon Watcher's Thread

So it shall be, praise Helix.

TwitchPlaysPokemon on Twitch.tv
Official Google progress doc

What is it?
A stream of a Pokémon Red hack that includes all 151 Pokémon. The game is controlled by inputs to the Twitch chat. It's the equivalent of 40k + people with their hands on one Gameboy.

Can I play?
Yep. Just head on over to the Twitch channel and type in commands "up", "down", "left", "right", "a", "b", "start". Select is disabled to prevent soft resets.

What is the Anarchy/Democracy system?
After a full 24 hours stuck inside Team Rocket's Wild Ride (Rocket Hideout in Celadon City), the streamer implemented a democracy system, where the inputs of the previous 10 seconds were tallied up, and the most popular option was carried out. Within 10 minutes of being put into effect there was a mass revolt, as viewers thought that such a system reduced the swirling vortex of chaos into a extremely slow Let's Play. The command "start9" (press start 9 times, which does nothing but open/close the start menu) was spammed until the streamer put in a voting system which allows the will of Twitch to switch back and forth.
tl;dr - 50k players staged a micro revolt on Twitch about how the game is controlled.

Memes
Helix Fossil
- Inside Mt. Moon the player is given a choice of taking either the Helix or Dome Fossil to leave the mountain. Afterwards, in the chaos of battle, often the item menu is opened up and the item is selected for use, which results in a "OAK: RED! This isn't the time to use that!". Doing this repeatedly gave the impression that the trainer is constantly asking it for advice.

The PC
The PC is used in game to manage Pokémon and items storage. It is also able to permanently release stored Pokémon. The chaotic nature of input makes using the PC extremely dangerous, as the delayed broadcast of Twitch leaves players unable to make quick judgements to what is actually being viewed, making accidental and erroneous selections very common. Releasing the wrong members of the team could make progress impossible.

Almost every time a Pokémon center is entered, a very dramatic battle occurs on the input, as trolls and bots attempt to get the player to the PC in a sabotage attempt. Other times, PC use is/was unavoidable to swap out team members. None can resist the PC's siren call!

The Ledge/Ledge 2: Electric Boogaloo/Ledge 3: The Ledgening
Ledges are terrain features that let you proceed downward off of them, but not upwards.
In a cruel twist of fate, the game designers back in 1996 placed a key areas where the passage is a long straight path with many ledges below, and successful passage is required to proceed in the game. In normal gameplay you simply do not press downward to proceed, but in the swirling vortex of Twitch chat, this simple task is nigh impossible.

There are tons of more memes to explain, just ask!

Funny Pictures

You betcha.
Fanart gallery on imgur
Google search "twitch plays pokemon"

https://churchofthehelixchoir.bandcamp.com/

There is so much fan made content, it is impossible to post it all in a single OP.
So, post and have fun!

Last edited by Seahawk; 05-01-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 1,344 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Twitch Plays Pokémon Watcher's Thread

Bird Jesus and Helix Fossil. There's a religion for Pokemon. I'm so proud

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Wait, when did the channel get a sub button That's awesome haha.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

It has had a subscribe button since the second day, but the streamer has consistently emphasized that you get no bonuses for subscribing.

No doubt he would have tons of money rolling in if he implemented subs only chat mode.

Last edited by Seahawk; 02-26-2014 at 08:17 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

He could've made a ton of money for himself, no joke. People are suckers for stuff like this. If he threw in a couple of emotes and a couple of bonuses like sub only mode, damn.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
View Stats

Old 02-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

Such beauty. Much art. Wow.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
View Stats

Some guy is really going overboard and making a bot to control an actual GBC with the game.

twitchplaysrealpokemon - Imgur

---------- Post added 02-27-2014 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-26-2014 at 09:34 PM ----------

"Twitch Shouts Pokemon gives the Twitch Plays Pokemon chat the voice that no one asked for. Twitch Shouts Pokemon parses the chat and plays back a voice corresponding to the following commands => a, b, start, up, down, left, right democracy, anarchy"

Twitch Shouts Pokemon

---------- Post added 02-28-2014 at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-27-2014 at 12:03 AM ----------

THEY ARE THROUGH VICTORY ROAD =O.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

WHAT? When did this happen? I missed it

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Bird Jesus doing work against the first Elite Four member, Lorelei. Well he was before he died.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
View Stats

Anarchy not getting anything done here! Switch switch switch switch useless move

Enemy Lapras is TANKING hard.
Fun fact: Blizzard and Hydro Pump have 90% accuracy in Gen 1 while being the most powerful moves of their respective types. RIP team!

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Do you hear it? 50 thousand cries of despair.

Dat magic pixel.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

I turn away for 5 minutes and they've beaten Lorelei and Bruno. What
Old 02-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

I know right, same thing. Bruno is really bad lol.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
View Stats

OMFG

BECAUSE OF GEN 1 AI, A LV. 36 VENOMOTH IS ABOUT TO WIN AGAINST A Lv.66 DRAGONITE, USING POISON DAMAGE.

HOLY BALLS.

NSFW
( Click to show/hide )

Last edited by Barra; 03-05-2014 at 11:27 PM..
Old 02-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

This might be more interesting if it made sense to non fans.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,192 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Praise atv!

Remove Pootis
Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

They are up to Blue

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Oh that was their last Pokemon. Wiped.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,192 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

And then we lose.

Remove Pootis
Old 02-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
This might be more interesting if it made sense to non fans.
Do you REALLY have to drive by snark comment every thread that you cannot see an immediate personal appeal to? Get out.

Comments

YEAAH!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

All praise Helix for he is soloing Bruno.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
View Stats

HELIX SWEEPS BRUNO AGAIN!

If they could get the move choice stuck on surf it'd go a lot faster :/.

FEELS
Old 02-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

100k people in the channel right now. Next up is Agatha.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

TwitchPlaysPokemon - YouTube

Highlights for those interested.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Do you REALLY have to drive by snark comment every thread that you cannot see an immediate personal appeal to? Get out.
You're pretty defensive huh? I wasn't being snarky I was being serious. I found this whole thing interesting but the terms/locations/names/ect might as well be gibberish. I guess I was hoping someone would break some stuff down for me but don't worry I'll just leave so I don't upset you anymore than I already have.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

Reading the google doc thing in the first post pretty much explains everything you have to know outside of basic Pokemon knowledge.

They have lost to every Elite 4 member at least once so far except Bruno. So far, we are 6-0 against Bruno LOL.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Well of course now they lose to Bruno :/

Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
View Stats

What a letdown from the epic moments earlier....

Looks like we're just going to bash our team against them until they level up enough to win. Which is fine in a way, since Red has a really high level team. Lance too, we completely lucked out with that first encounter, even if it was the greatest pokemon battle ever performed.

If we could switch the team order that'd be nice.
Zapdos upfront would sweep Lorelei's entire team, giving us a good start to take on the rest.
Helix can sweep Bruno on its own, followed up by Zapdos to thundershock Agatha's entire team to after-death.

Lance is genuinely hard because the dragon type resists all our heavy hitters elemental attacks. We really lucked out with Venomoth at the end, but Lapras with ice beam would be really handy for that fight.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

I think it's going to take a while before they are able to beat the game. Give it a day or so.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
View Stats

Pretty much.

I can only hope that they don't manage it while I'm asleep or away D:

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

For the Helix Helix Helix

I hope they don't beat the game while I'm asleep.