Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

View Poll Results: Do you smoke?
Yes 7 25.00%
No 18 64.29%
Yes, but I lie about it 0 0%
Other {please specify} 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Tobacco Damage

I remember making a comment a while back about how smokers' faces change once they'd been smoking for a number of years; ugly and unhealthy looking and old before their time.

Here's what I found today, a side by side comparison of a healthy non - smoker's body to that of a smoker's.

Tobacco Body

Holy smokes!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Tobacco Damage

Yeah, no.

That's propaganda at it's finest.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 12-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Donor
246 posts
kiwinavega is in the starting lineupkiwinavega is in the starting lineupkiwinavega is in the starting lineupkiwinavega is in the starting lineupkiwinavega is in the starting lineup
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 5,381, Level: 20 Points: 5,381, Level: 20 Points: 5,381, Level: 20
Level up: 67%
Level up: 67%, 369 Points needed Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Smoking is a terrible habit but I enjoy it.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
222 posts
Ballas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brains
View Stats
Level: 24
Points: 8,212, Level: 24 Points: 8,212, Level: 24 Points: 8,212, Level: 24
Level up: 21%
Level up: 21%, 638 Points needed Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
Send a message via Skype™ to Ballas

I quit being a social smoker two weeks ago. I have been smoking socially for the last 7 years.
My problem is when I drink I smoke, but during the week I will smoke zero sigs but on a weekend I will smoke 30... But yeah I quit for good now.
Koos van Dyk (KVD)
aka Ballas

When someone says "STOP"
I never know if its IN THE NAME OF LOVE,
HAMMERTIME, or if I am supposed to
COLLABERATE AND LISTEN...
Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

+1 (+1/-0)     

My biggest problems was when I was drinking and when I was on the computer. It's been almost 9 years since I've had a cigarette.

I quit the year my son was born on my birthday as a present for myself and him. It's all about willpower and proper motivation.

Comments

congratulations! I have 18 years under my belt so its kinda hard for me to stop at the moment.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
6,654 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Switched to e-cigs. After a year, I was able to stop smoking.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
IGBYgate 2014
2,045 posts
Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,944, Level: 38 Points: 23,944, Level: 38 Points: 23,944, Level: 38
Level up: 70%
Level up: 70%, 706 Points needed Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 63%
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%

+1 (+1/-0)     

I dont smoke cigarettes

Comments

I don't smoke "either" anymore :-)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12
Level up: 72%
Level up: 72%, 144 Points needed Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Smoking tobacco surely harms users, but does a healthy form of tobacco exist? Could we medicinally use in anyway? People grow so much of it that reusing it may be better than simply eliminating it.

Do you notice how people campaign so much more against smoking than drinking alcohol? People use less tobacco, and other drugs are still taboo in many ways, yet alcohol prevails. Why is that?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
222 posts
Ballas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brains
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikman View Post
Smoking tobacco surely harms users, but does a healthy form of tobacco exist? Could we medicinally use in anyway? People grow so much of it that reusing it may be better than simply eliminating it.
Do you notice how people campaign so much more against smoking than drinking alcohol? People use less tobacco, and other drugs are still taboo in many ways, yet alcohol prevails. Why is that?
My dad smoke and hes has been since the age of 13, he is 68 now. Most like ly he will pass away from something related to tabacco which is expected from my side. I will be surprised if not... I think the thing with alcohol is more sudden in an accident or so. Yes I think there is more violence involved with people that can't handle their alcohol probably same with drugs. There are always the rotten apples that spoil it for everyone, but tabbaco is a known addiction with a high death rate. So is alcohol and drugs but the problem with alcohol and drugs is that you can "OD" or abuse it in one night and suffer the consiquences. Damn... If this makes any sense
Koos van Dyk (KVD)
aka Ballas

When someone says "STOP"
Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,745 posts
bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 11,136, Level: 27 Points: 11,136, Level: 27 Points: 11,136, Level: 27
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 414 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Because they tried to get rid of alcohol once, it didn't work.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
6,654 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

I felt the same way Chicken. When I was drinking I would need real cigs. But it's a weening process. Just keep at it until you are able to go a full night of drinking with only your e-cig. After a while, the real smokes tastes horrible and you feel like crap.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats

I read that alcohol and tobacco have contrasting effects, so they work "hand in hand."

I don't support that we ban anything like that. I just wonder why a double standard exists.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
I.X.E.
242 posts
T to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the darkT to the C glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 11,794, Level: 28 Points: 11,794, Level: 28 Points: 11,794, Level: 28
Level up: 28%
Level up: 28%, 656 Points needed Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Send a message via AIM to T to the C Send a message via Yahoo to T to the C

I haven't smoked a Newport for a year now. Real Talk!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Big up, respect, kudos, and a HIGH FIVE to those who either never smoked, or like myself who quit ages past.

Those of you who do, I have a question for you:

WHY do you do that to yourself?
Please don't start telling me how 'enjoyable' it is - I know what it's like as an ex - smoker.

Monkey see, monkey do - that's why people do it {if not to kill the taste of the alcohol they're poisoning themselves with} and you can see it where one smoker announces they're going for a puff, then all the rest of them suddenly 'want' a smoke too.

All the ex - smokers I know say the same things:

They're glad they quit.
They can't stand the smell of it, and can't believe they never did it themselves.
They can't understand why anyone would do it.
They feel much healthier.

This coming from people like myself who have been there/ done that, I think those of you still telling yourselves how 'delicious' and 'relaxing' it is should give it a second thought.
Honestly you will feel better, and be richer as well if you quit.

Last edited by RU Joe; 12-20-2013 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Keep your health, kick the butt@!
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
222 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Joe View Post
Big up, respect, kudos, and a HIGH FIVE to those who either never smoked, or like myself who quit ages past.
Those of you who do, I have a question for you:
Please don't start telling me how 'enjoyable' it is - I know what it's like as an ex - smoker.
Monkey see, monkey do - that's why people do it {if not to kill the taste of the alcohol they're poisoning themselves with} and you can see it where one smoker announces they're going for a puff, then all the rest of them suddenly 'want' a smoke too.

All the ex - smokers I know say the same things:

They're glad they quit.
They can't stand the smell of it, and can't believe they never did it themselves.
They can't understand why anyone would do it.
They feel much healthier.

This coming from people like myself who have been there/ done that, I think those of you still telling yourselves how 'delicious' and 'relaxing' it is should give it a second thought.
Honestly you will feel better, and be richer as well if you quit.
It is exactly as you say. Those 4 points you make above makes sense but getting your mind right to quit is another thing. I tried quitting a couple of times and the hardest part was having a drink in one hand and figuring out what to do with the other. I decided to quit energy drinks this week as well, also something I never used to drink and then became 2nd nature. Alcohol I shall still consume, just gotta keep one glass in each hand and I cant smoke just kidding...
Koos van Dyk (KVD)
aka Ballas

When someone says "STOP"
Old 12-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Joe View Post
Don't assume you speak for every person in the world bro. I have smoked for the last 15 years or so and I do enjoy it. Besides the addiction the enjoyment is making it really really hard to quit.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Don't assume you speak for every person in the world bro. I have smoked for the last 15 years or so and I do enjoy it. Besides the addiction the enjoyment is making it really really hard to quit.
Yeah, I just enjoy it too much. Smoking is also a great way to meet people at work. At my last job, had it not been for smoking, I more than likely would have never talked to anyone, and just been a creepy loner. In fact, because I smoked I got a promotion.

Not trying to encourage any one to start of course, but it has benefits that are not always obvious.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 12-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,648 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 103,897, Level: 62 Points: 103,897, Level: 62 Points: 103,897, Level: 62
Level up: 67%
Level up: 67%, 6,853 Points needed Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

+1 (+1/-0)     

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words..

Comments

That you tails?

Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62

That's a drunk picture and I don't drink. I also never really smoked menthols. I like that shirt though.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
Yeah, I just enjoy it too much. Smoking is also a great way to meet people at work. At my last job, had it not been for smoking, I more than likely would have never talked to anyone, and just been a creepy loner. In fact, because I smoked I got a promotion.

Not trying to encourage any one to start of course, but it has benefits that are not always obvious.
Smoking your way up the corporate ladder, who'd have thought?

I totally understand what you mean about the social aspect, I remember it.
Now I'm just a 'creepy loner', like all the rest of the ex - smokers I suppose.

If only I had kept it up, I could be a C.E.O. or something by now!
{joking but see the reality of the situation}

Ballas:

Quote:
It is exactly as you say. Those 4 points you make above makes sense but getting your mind right to quit is another thing. I tried quitting a couple of times and the hardest part was having a drink in one hand and figuring out what to do with the other. I decided to quit energy drinks this week as well, also something I never used to drink and then became 2nd nature. Alcohol I shall still consume, just gotta keep one glass in each hand and I cant smoke just kidding... .
Yes, the connection between alcohol consumption A.K.A. 'having a few with the buddies' and smoking is quite strong, and I know what you mean about not knowing what to do with the other hand.

Good start by recognizing the energy drinks as something to cut down on - I've recently cut way back on coffee myself, just too much caffeine.
Also I look at the bottom of the cup, the residue of the ground coffee sitting there and I imagine that's what my insides must look like too.
One cup a day now.
A really big cup.

DB:

Quote:
{Being Supreme Commander of the Universe does sometimes go to my head, and I apologize.
Feeling powerless in my job, all I do is use a rubber stamp on things that cross my desk, it's boring as hell and there is no pay.
Sorry.}

I remember a time when I thought I enjoyed smoking myself {I tasted horrible though } and to be fair I think if a person believes they enjoy something, they probably will.
AS an example, I once drank cans of a popular fizzy drink by the case; now I can't stand it at all and am so much healthier than I was while guzzling that stuff down.

During that time in which I thought I was enjoying it, I did in a way, even though there were serious doubts in my mind about what exactly was in it.
Proof positive revealed to me when I quit and felt better - I was right!

It wasn't easy, though.
Sounds silly to say that quitting pop was hard, but most fast food places, and even a lot of restaurants have pop to drink.
Water just doesn't taste as good, and so I found it hard to wean myself off the sugary syrup of death.
{Ok maybe not of death, but diabetes is bad enough}

So I have to give you credit for knowing smoking is something you don't really want to keep doing, this is the first step: awareness.
This is cliche but 'good luck' quitting; as SC pointed out, that social aspect is very powerful and alluring especially when taken in the context of the story he told.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
View Stats

Sorry JG but I enjoyed it from the very first inhale. I'm not convincing myself of it, it's just true. Think of it this way. Those corporations are not dumb, they know how to make a product people will want to use even if it's bad for them. So naturally it will click with some people more than others.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Sorry JG but I enjoyed it from the very first inhale. I'm not convincing myself of it, it's just true. Think of it this way. Those corporations are not dumb, they know how to make a product people will want to use even if it's bad for them. So naturally it will click with some people more than others.
IN that instance I was speaking for myself when I was talking about back when I thought I enjoyed smoking.

I understand that some people genuinely enjoy it; if you like that, you should get a hold of some clean tobacco {not grown and packaged by tobacco companies} because people have told me it's quite good and no chemicals/ poisons sprayed on it.

For most people, that 'monkey see, monkey do' I mentioned earlier is why they start - and in my opinion I think TV shows and movies which show people smoking has a certain effect toward people smoking too.

IN fact, it's more than just my opinion.

I remember an anti - smoking ad featuring an elderly lady barely able to breathe through an oxygen tube saying ' .. I'm begging you, please don't smoke!'

{sorry I can't remember her name, nor could I find the actual ad}

She was the young Actress from the 1930's paid to take a puff from a cigarette in front of a camera and tell you how delicious it was, etc., and on her death bed does a 180 and begs us not to smoke.

I'm saying this because these are the kind of Bernaysian {Edward Bernays, author of Propaganda} mind tricks they use on people to get them to buy all kinds of products.

I'm certain lots of women wanted to be her, and the cigarette could be an accessory to help them become like her.
Men, on the other hand, would likely want to give her a light for her fag.

I could get into subliminal advertising, as camel cigarettes was caught using in their ads, but I'm already straying away from the heart of my concern over the issue of smoking, which is all about peoples' health, starting with non - smokers of course.

So really, I suppose the issue is about second - hand smoke.
Splitting hairs, or not?
I can't tell at this point.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 12-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Poster
222 posts
View Stats

I seem to just pick certain "unhealthy" things. I thought maybe by leaving energy drinks ands smoking I would probably be better of just "having a couple" which is porbably better. I've had times where my best runs where when I hav had a couple.

I enjoy my drinks and my year end xmas gift to me ad my one partner in business is $200 worth of drinks to stock up the "cabinets" / bars.
Koos van Dyk (KVD)
aka Ballas

When someone says "STOP"
Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

I believe that people also forget that we should put things in our bodies for health and life, not entertainment, like all bodily functions, and that any good feelings are extra benefits. We seem that we collectively lost this idea.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Poster
38 posts
RU Kitty is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 3
Points: 201, Level: 3 Points: 201, Level: 3 Points: 201, Level: 3
Level up: 1%
Level up: 1%, 99 Points needed Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

I prefer to smoke something that doesn't result in cancer and overdose related expirations.
Comes in a little baggie marked medicine, not a little box marked death.