Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Take our jobs!

Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs - Yahoo! News

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed amricans: Come on, take our jobs.
Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Re: Take our jobs!

The immigrant workers are not all that bad. Sure, they "take our jobs" but it keeps productivity of farms up due to the cheap labor, meaning produce prices are cheaper.

The immigrant farm workers are willing to do twice the work for half the pay. They have just the same right to the jobs as the American who wants twice the money for half the work. Who are we to decide that they have no right to earn a living?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

That's why this is being done. Immigrant workers are feed up with being blamed for the lack of work for USA born citizens. It's work that the majority of us wouldn't do including myself. If there was no other option then sure, I'll bust my ass working out on the fields, but I'd much rather work in an office.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Just because fat cats are taking advantage of these people, and the consequential fact that it keeps prices down doesn't necessarily make it a good thing for anyone but perhaps those fat cats.

I think that tired old argument of 'the immigrants taking our jobs' is invalid and here's why:
If you are not a North American Native, meaning to say that your ancestors of thousands of years ago did not originate from the North American continent, YOU ARE AN IMMIGRANT, and so are your family who 'conquered' the continent.
Period.

Those jobs that the immigrants are supposedly 'taking' are exactly like Joz pointed out; undesirable jobs with long hours, little pay, and no benefits.

It's when the other higher paying, more desirable jobs disappear and people are out of work that they start picking on whoever they can but you know -

they could have been working those 'stolen' jobs in the first place instead of running to the cushy office jobs from the get go, and if they did they would have a job {although it's crappy} and no reason to scapegoat people who are still working.
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

http://www.takeourjobs.org/
The point is to prove Americans don't want these jobs, they just want something to bitch and moan about.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
they could have been working those 'stolen' jobs in the first place instead of running to the cushy office jobs from the get go, and if they did they would have a job {although it's crappy} and no reason to scapegoat people who are still working.
Reading this again I notice it's not a very good example of what I was trying to say.

The point I was trying to make is that people generally go for the quick easy buck in places that pay a lot and demand little work, in comparison to the work done by the people in the article.
Unfortunately those higher paying jobs are most often filled through a 'dead man's boots', and quite often are unstable by their nature.

In any event it puts a lot of people out of work when they have to shut down, and it's natural for them to be angry at those who still have a job.
However, I believe that it's their own fault that they ended up in that position because they went for easy fast cash instead of job security over a long period of time.
This is why I said what I did in the quote.

I understand it's not realistic to expect office workers to take a job digging ditches, but I'm not sure there is an easy solution to these problems as our economies get worse.
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
The point is to prove Americans don't want these jobs, they just want something to bitch and moan about.
I know, we don't want the jobs, but we whine that they have the jobs. It's just asinine, it's like a kid that doesn't want a toy, until he sees that he himself cannot have it. Part coveting, part making a scene over nothing.
People complained when gasoline hit fifty cents a gallon, now we would kill for those prices. There is always going to be something to whine about, even things that are constant.
People still make a big deal about taxes, though they've been around for as long as people have had money or stuff to use to trade.
We don't want stuff until we can't have it.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

DM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask View Post
I know, we don't want the jobs, but we whine that they have the jobs. It's just asinine, it's like a kid that doesn't want a toy, until he sees that he himself cannot have it. Part coveting, part making a scene over nothing.
People complained when gasoline hit fifty cents a gallon, now we would kill for those prices. There is always going to be something to whine about, even things that are constant.
People still make a big deal about taxes, though they've been around for as long as people have had money or stuff to use to trade.
We don't want stuff until we can't have it.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at, but you sure said it better.
I got too ranty about it.

I forgot to say earlier that I feel for the workers, it must be hard for them to be disliked just for having work.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

I know, that would be challenging. Being hated just for being able to get off their asses and do the work no one wants.