Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 02-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

+1 (+1/-0)     
Stop the Massacre of the English Language.

Today I am here to bring you a message.
I am tired of seeing the English language massacred by chat rooms, texts, myspace and the likes. I want to stop this massacre from spreading further.
Please help me spread the usage of proper grammar and whole words through the internet.
The English language thanks you.

Comments

Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Stop the Massacre of the English Language.

It's a lost cause. I really hate to say it but there's almost no stopping this trend. I think we just have to minimize the damage until people come to their senses.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I know the cause is lost, but I want to minimize the loss, there is a reason we learn proper English in school not chat room slang.
When people come to their senses I want to be able to say I fought the trend for the whole time.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62

By all means fight the good fight, just don't get so aggressive that you hurt your own cause. If you seem like you're attacking people they'll immediately go on the defensive and you'll never get through to them.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

I am not that aggressive, especially when I am so outnumbered, but the fight must be fought.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

I'm just warning you because I know how it is. I try to nicely correct people all the time and sometimes people see it as an attack. I let most minor stuff slide but when I see things like U instead of you I have to comment, it's just so damn lazy and ignorant looking.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I'm just warning you because I know how it is. I try to nicely correct people all the time and sometimes people see it as an attack. I let most minor stuff slide but when I see things like U instead of you I have to comment, it's just so damn lazy and ignorant looking.
Exactly, these small errors add up to something big.
I try to be nice as well.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Sparkle
Donor
Game Mod
1,886 posts
ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 56
Points: 52,843, Level: 56 Points: 52,843, Level: 56 Points: 52,843, Level: 56
Level up: 16%
Level up: 16%, 1,607 Points needed Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

It's hard for me to take someone seriously when they write like they're in the middle of a chatroom.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." -George Carlin

Check out the Zed Discord; the only Zed-centric Discord in the world!

Or perhaps the Zed Twitter; the only Zed-centric Twitter in the world!

Or, hell, the Zed Twitch ; the only Zed-centric Twitch in the world!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

I know, maybe if they are in a chatroom it's okay, but even then it is still uneducated.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

I think it's fine to type poorly in active chatrooms or MMOs where staying with the flow of conversation means typing quickly. But, the end goal should be improvement not relying on internet slang. If you can't take the time to type things out on a forum post you're just lazy or under educated. No offense to anybody personally, it's just my opinion in general.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 29
Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 190 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

I really don't see the need to use slang in general. some slang words are offensive including the ones sent towards others
Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

U dunt liek dis Doodbra?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails View Post
U dunt liek dis Doodbra?
Do you like looking like an idiot online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfoxfan
I really don't see the need to use slang in general. some slang words are offensive including the ones sent towards others
Slang is a natural thing. Languages change over time and what was slang becomes part of the accepted language. That's why I said we should try to minimize the damage and not draw a line in the sand. If there's no compromise there will be a lot of resistance and bad blood. I guess what I'm trying to say is grammar nazis need to pick their battles carefully.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62

Sometimes, why?

In all honesty, I hate typing like that.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

EHH, I totally agree wit wat yer sayin' dare; da mas - acre of da Enlitch language has gotta stop, Doc.

I hear what you're saying about the pop culture and the language, and I think it's sad the way corporations try to cash in on the trends of the day by producing their poorly thought out, nerdy, PC version of 'cool' [in a sealed plastic wrapper] - further muddling the language and making it even worse.

DM:
Quote:
especially when I am so outnumbered
Did you expect me to be in support of what you're saying here?
The point is that often the most worthy causes can also seem to be the most hopeless due to the fact that usually people only speak up when they feel they have a place to do so.
On that note, it took some courage on your part to voice this matter in the first place.

I consider how many trends have come and gone in my time, and how they all have one thing in common:

They rely on a reference to something, and if you don't know what the something is, the trendy catch phrases and buzz words are meaningless when taken out of context.
I can remember being very disturbed by something someone said to me, only later to find out that he was reciting a catch phrase from a wrestler who was popular around that time.
= I got so hot under the collar at the confrontational imperative [thanks, Kryten]
I had to leave the building - it was that bad.

The worst part is that after that happened, people seemed to think I was a hot head who sought to take offense at any possible opportunity that came along, when all that really happened was that I hadn't seen the wrestler that everyone else had, apparently.

So that would be an example of how things can go awry with the muddling of the language through the introduction of new [usually confrontational and offensive] words and phrases.

When it comes to a plan of action of what to do about it - we just did, and when someone else reads this thread they may decide to say something about it, and it will expand from there but in this case, it all started with

DEMON - MASK THE COURAGEOUS
who said something about it first.

now, here's a song with bad English by Spinal Tap:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMZv2r3Yp0&NR=1"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Last edited by RU Joe; 02-15-2010 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: wrestler, not movie - and I forgot to finish on a song
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

What wrestler and what was the quote?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Then its a good thing i haven't seen the N word on here.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

DB:
Quote:
What wrestler and what was the quote?
It was probably one of Macho Man Randy Savage's lovely little quips - I didn't really watch too much wrestling until later on, when the best of it was over so I missed this one, but before I recite the quote I need to stress:

This was upon meeting the guy for the very first time, with other people I did know there as well and I'm doing my best to be as polite and pleasant as can be,

and this guy says as he shakes my hand [and doing the wrestler voice as well] he says:

'The pleasure is all yours, I assure you.'

[sound of tea kettle whistling, steam coming out of my ears]
...and that's when I muttered something about not having to put up with that sort of treatment after I make great effort to be as friendly as possible, and I left.

Later on when I learned the context of what had been said I felt a bit better about him, realizing the whole thing was a joke, but like I said I was seen in a different light after that incident.

Hey, I left instead of allowing my anger to make me say or do something stupid, that's all, given the fact that I was under the impression that this person didn't really want to meet me in the first place.
Why stick around and argue? - just leave instead.
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

It's been posted before but the mods delete it when they notice it or a member notifies us.

@JG- I can totally see how you'd misunderstand that. If the guy was smarter he would've noticed that you didn't get it and explain things to avoid hard feelings. I mess with people all the time but I make sure they understand what's going on.

Last edited by Dudebro; 02-15-2010 at 05:08 AM..
Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
View Stats

Then i see no problems that will convert me to "Grammer Nazi"
Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Sorry but you lost me with that last post. What do you mean?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
View Stats

Quote:
It's been posted before but the mods delete it when they notice it or a member Tails notifies us.
Fixed, and you know it's true~

Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

You do keep on top of reporting stuff but others have helped as well. Either way it's good that people care enough about RU to report problems.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
View Stats

Quote:
grammar nazis need to pick their battles carefully.
You said Grammer Nazis need to pick their battles. I don't need to pick them if i am not one
Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

I was just using that term because people like to say it anytime someone points out a mistake. What I meant was anyone who is going to correct others should know when it's just not worth bothering.