Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
Dr_Nick is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 3
Points: 279, Level: 3 Points: 279, Level: 3 Points: 279, Level: 3
Level up: 79%
Level up: 79%, 21 Points needed Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Space Documentaries

I've been watching a lot lately. (about one a day) The best I found is "How the Universe Works" series. (steaming on Netflix) and was wondering what space docs other people like. I heard good things about the old Carl Sagan "Cosmos", but I found it laughably bad. (only by today's standards, I mean) The production graphics take a lot of imagination and Sagan was telling me that gravity was holding galaxies together. (They didn't know about "dark matter") If I found an inaccuracy astrophysicists probably go into convulsions watching this! I don't mean to shit on it, I know it's beloved, it's just horribly out of date. I am excited by the remake with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGSNQfxEGds

I was watching this "Hubble: 15 years of Discovery". It's kinda dull and I didn't really care for it so I can't recommend it but they said something I don't understand (because they didn't explain) and was wondering if anyone knew.

I know Hubble can see many hundred billion light years away, but in this doc they say even Hubble can't see past Pluto to find a planet they suspected was there. (I guess they were looking for that old star core thingy they found right after this doc came out in 2005) The only thing I can figure is the Kuiper belt was blocking the view, but if so how did the ground telescope find it?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12
Level up: 72%
Level up: 72%, 144 Points needed Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Re: Space Documentaries

I watched a documentary about how alien animals would seem, but it was more "Star Wars" than "Nova." "Nova: Science Now" is usually good, though.

Also, I don't know if this counts, but have you watched an episode of "Ancient Aliens?"
Old 02-03-2014, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

There was a Stephen Hawking series on Netflix where he talked about what aliens might look like in one episode. I think it was called "Stephen Hawking's Universe", maybe, or something like that. He was also talking about what a bad idea it is to telegraph our location to aliens because if they're more advanced than us they'd want to dominate us and our resources. I see his point, but I'd hope they'd be more evolved humanitarians or alientarians as well, besides, the universe has abundant resources. I don't think our galaxy or solar system has anything special in it, but that might be an "unknown unknown". We might not even see it.

I was watching Nova: Science Now (not later) just last night on Youtube. The episode where they show the preparation for a mission to Mars. Very interesting.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

I don't know if I've seen "Ancient Aliens" or not... Is that the one on the "History" channel? I've seen some things like it, anyway.
I'm not snobbish about ancient alien theories. The ancient Egyptians, ancient South Americans and Asians were capable of things we can't do today and still can't figure out how they did it. I figure it's just technology getting forgotten as societies fall, but am open to other ideas. Graham Hankock thinks those cultures are much older than conventional archeologists, and is very convincing. I don't know, but I keep an open mind on all unknown things.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats

Hawking is too paranoid. If extrasolar sentience technologically evolved further than us, they probably also socially evolved as well. Many compare the alien invaders to European colonists, who brutally conquered indigenous Americans, Africans and Australians, but most nations have progressed from since then, and war is far less common among advanced nations because we're not savages like those people were, so a more futuristic society would probably be more democratic and peaceful and less belligerent than we are today.

I also believe that aliens could have visited us in the past, but I don't attribute all ancient inventions to them, because many old societies in the Americans, Africa and Asia knew more than we understand from our current Eurocentric view. Most episodes of "Ancient Aliens" attribute any odd happening to aliens, and they often stretch believability, but a few ancient astronaut theories seem plausible.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Donor
997 posts
D.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,071, Level: 38 Points: 23,071, Level: 38 Points: 23,071, Level: 38
Level up: 32%
Level up: 32%, 1,579 Points needed Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Nick View Post
Graham Hankock thinks those cultures are much older than conventional archeologists, and is very convincing. I don't know, but I keep an open mind on all unknown things.
I just started reading Fingerprints of the Gods (thanks to the Joe Rogan podcast). Only on chapter 2 but like you, find this stuff fascinating and have an open mind.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

Oh! you listen to Rogan as well? Great podcast isn't it? Rogan got me into Space documentaries as well as Hancock. He still hasn't gotten me into MMA though. Did you listen to the Peter Schiff and Brian Dunning shows? He did a number on them. I love to hear him debate.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Donor
997 posts
D.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,071, Level: 38 Points: 23,071, Level: 38 Points: 23,071, Level: 38
Level up: 32%
Level up: 32%, 1,579 Points needed Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Yes, love the podcast. I'm doing something a little crazy that I may abandon someday but I found his podcast about 6 months ago and instead of listening to the new shows, I went back as far as possible and have been listening to the old shows first. Started with #32 and I'm now on #143. #142 was the Graham Hancock show. Found a free version of Fingerprints of the Gods online and have made it to chapter 3 so far. Good stuff.

Also watched a show on the Syfy channel that didn't get much run but I thought was cool. Was called Joe Questions Everything. I think there was only 6 episodes.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,745 posts
bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 11,136, Level: 27 Points: 11,136, Level: 27 Points: 11,136, Level: 27
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 414 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

+1 (+1/-0)     

Ancient Aliens I watch just to see how they try and convince me all these ancient societies has alien help. It always comes down to "we don't know how they did it, we'd struggle to do it now, so aliens did it" Even when it seems like they could have done it on their own, aliens supplied the tech according to some of those people. It generally seems more they are convinced aliens intervened and will work what they know and see to fit that, rather than excluding everything possible before coming to that conclusion.

While it's true we don't know exactly how they did it, or we'd struggle now to do it, that doesn't mean they couldn't have figured it out. As humans I think we tend to think we are so much smarter now than they were in ancient times when it's not true. Maybe we'd struggle to build some of those thing now because we overthink and overcomplicate everything and would not see simpler solutions?

Comments

One of the original ideas for Futurama was they had lost the technology of the wheelI
Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper View Post
Yes, love the podcast. I'm doing something a little crazy that I may abandon someday but I found his podcast about 6 months ago and instead of listening to the new shows, I went back as far as possible and have been listening to the old shows first. Started with #32 and I'm now on #143. #142 was the Graham Hancock show. Found a free version of Fingerprints of the Gods online and have made it to chapter 3 so far. Good stuff.

Also watched a show on the Syfy channel that didn't get much run but I thought was cool. Was called Joe Questions Everything. I think there was only 6 episodes.
I did the same thing about two years ago, I was just looking for podcasts that featured Doug Stanhope and got the JRE with Stanhope and thought I'd like the podcast anyway and went back to the first ones with just Redban and Rogan "with the snowflake falling on screen". I didn't even know he was the "Fear Factor Guy" or the "UFC guy" and barely knew he was a comedian. I did watch "News Radio" a little back in the day but didn't remember Rogan. I think of him as the "podcast guy". I've gone back and watched his specials and saw him live a year and a half ago. I've still only seen promos for Fear Factor.

I liked "Joe R. Questions Everything" well enough, but you could tell the network influenced the production. The way they'd tease stuff. He probably should've done it himself with some sort of crowd funding.

BTW: I listen to podcasts all day at work so I don't think it's so crazy to go back, I did the same thing with Smodcast! I don't really have time to read so I haven't started reading Hancock yet.

Last edited by Dr_Nick; 02-03-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
I Want Your Scores!
Donor
Game Mod
884 posts
Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Jason L. Davis has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 25
Points: 9,004, Level: 25 Points: 9,004, Level: 25 Points: 9,004, Level: 25
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 746 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason L. Davis

" Through The Wormhole " is pretty good too!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
http://www.pbh2.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/funny-gif-wrestling.gif
Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

I watched some episodes of "Through the wormhole". It also has a retro gaming connection, they were talking about how some think the universe acts like the universe in Asteroids, If you were able to exit one side you'd pop in on the side. My ADD kept me from finishing "through the wormhole" though. I always wondered if they ever got around to an episode about wormholes.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

This is more of a document than a documentary but very cool. Kepler discoveries of planets inside habitable zones. I love these announcements, but you'd think NASA would be able to polish up there production quality. If they can put 3 rovers on Mars I'm sure they can produce a video that doesn't look and sound like shit... I guess they've got there priorities right though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQVlDqOchSA

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

I don't know if I've seen "Ancient Aliens" or not... Is that the one on the "History" channel? I've seen some things like it, anyway.
I'm not snobbish about ancient alien theories. The ancient Egyptians, ancient South Americans and Asians were capable of things we can't do today and still can't figure out how they did it. I figure it's just technology getting forgotten as societies fall, but am open to other ideas. Graham Hankock thinks those cultures are much older than conventional archeologists, and is very convincing. I don't know, but I keep an open mind on all unknown things.
I was sampling a new podcast, "Exposing PseudoAstronomy"#100 and they shit all over ancient aliens on the moon theory. I guess some people thought the craters on the moon were satellite dish receivers put on the moon by aliens.

We can't have any fun for these science guys. Good job science! Way to take all the fun, mystery, and childlike wonder and imagination out of the world!

http://podcast.sjrdesign.net/

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-05-2014 at 08:53 PM ----------

Quote:
There was a Stephen Hawking series on Netflix where he talked about what aliens might look like in one episode. I think it was called "Stephen Hawking's Universe", maybe, or something like that. He was also talking about what a bad idea it is to telegraph our location to aliens because if they're more advanced than us they'd want to dominate us and our resources. I see his point, but I'd hope they'd be more evolved humanitarians or alientarians as well, besides, the universe has abundant resources. I don't think our galaxy or solar system has anything special in it, but that might be an "unknown unknown". We might not even see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2h7X-_Lk8

Neil deGrasse Tyson and Richard Dawkins were talking about this and Neil made a great point that if they were that much more advanced than we are they would care as much about what we're thinking as we care about what worms are thinking.

He also made a great point to the people who don't think aliens exist because we haven't found them yet. "That's like going to the ocean, scooping out a cup of water and saying there are no whales in the ocean and here's my data!"

This was a great talk that I can't recommend enough. I only wish it were longer. I could listen to these two all day long.

Last edited by Dr_Nick; 02-05-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Old 02-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Quote:
if they were that much more advanced than we are they would care as much about what we're thinking as we care about what worms are thinking.
That's a possibility but I don't see why it would be any more likely than them caring about what we're thinking. If humanity advances to the point where it can trek across the stars I think we'd still be very interested in any life we find.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

Worms aren't sentient like humans are. Different societies will always interest us.