Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
38 posts
horus is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 2
Points: 181, Level: 2 Points: 181, Level: 2 Points: 181, Level: 2
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 19 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

So you want to build a computer

If you want to build a computer and need help reply here give my your budget and I will see how I may help you
Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Poster
9 posts
Cicca is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 1
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Level up: 66%
Level up: 66%, 26 Points needed Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Activity: 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cicca

Re: So you want to build a computer

Wsell....I may be interested in building up a gaming computer....what could I get with...let's say....500 € ?! Monitor and HD not included....I already have.... ;-)
Old 03-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
38 posts
View Stats

How much memory and ram would you want it to have
Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
2,067 posts
TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 24
Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24
Level up: 52%
Level up: 52%, 390 Points needed Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Give him 8-16. Ram is so cheap. Build that rig, horus.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

2015 Yolympics Champs - Team Penis
Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Poster
38 posts
View Stats

:/ here comes the tricky part

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

ram may be cheap but a good graphics card costs 250$ with is like 225 Euros

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

nvm

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

What type of hard drive do you want it to have? I would recommend two terabyte
Old 03-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Build one for me too, 800 Canadian budget. Don't bother asking me questions because I don't know the answer. All I know is that I need it to handle very large files in image editing, and animation software. It also needs to output 1920x1200 resolution.

Last edited by stevencassidy13; 03-09-2016 at 06:31 PM..
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
2,067 posts
TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 24
Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24
Level up: 52%
Level up: 52%, 390 Points needed Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by horus View Post
:/ here comes the tricky part

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

ram may be cheap but a good graphics card costs 250$ with is like 225 Euros

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

nvm

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

What type of hard drive do you want it to have? I would recommend two terabyte
You'll have to buy used. I don't see this thing coming in under that price range for a gaming rig.

2015 Yolympics Champs - Team Penis
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I've been thinking about dipping into an 8Gb graphics card now that prices have dropped like a rock for them. Apparently my 3Gb card isn't going to cut the mustard for a VR headset.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 16,735 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

@cicca. What is the most powerful game you realistically plan to play? Do you want to play it on minimum, default or max settings?

@horrus. What I do first is find out the most powerful game they want. Then look up the requirements Can You RUN It | Can I run that game | Game system requirements
Then I use Passmark to find the best value for those specs.
Best to ask all your questions at once or this will be a very slow conversation. Cicca already has a hard drive and monitor.

@Steven
What software do you use for animation and what are the recommended system requirements?
you will probably want... (prices are rough estimates)
A 64x CPU with hyperthreading and multicores between 2.5 and 3.5 GHz. I think Xeon is best bang for buck. $50 The Xeon is a server cpu and needs special case, motherboard and ram. Make sure all is compatible. Or spend more for something more standard and easier to match like an i7.
16GB ram. ~$70
$200-$350 on a video card.
An SSD hard drive. About $150 for 500GB.
A second standard hard drive for non-work files and archiving work files. $50 for 1tb.
Then a case, motherboard, power supply and fan that is compatible with them. $200

That comes to around $750 USD. $1,000CAD. You will also need a mouse, keyboard and monitor. Lower the price by skipping the SSD and getting a used video card.

Generally speaking that is pretty good advice for most people wanting a budget gaming computer.

As far as I know the best deal in this price range are refurbished Dell Precisions from Ebay.

Examples from Ebay Canada
1 Meets your budget. Complete as is - no parts or building required. Slightly less powerful than my above recommendation.

2 Base computer. You need to add video card, hard drive and OS. And you need to confirm the existing power supply will support your video card. You can pay this seller to customize it for you.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Will that support 1900x1200? Right now I have an Intel core i5, and it doesn't. Really sucks having to use a non native resolution then adjusting the horizontal and vertical settings so things don't appear squashed and stretched.

As far as my programs go, it's not really something that would have specific requirements, it will run on a bad computer, and for a small project be fine, but then I'm dealing with file sizes over 100 megs in Photoshop, and it can start to take awhile in between actions. What is it that would limit my wait times between actions? Ram? Cpu? Graphics card?

Last edited by stevencassidy13; 03-09-2016 at 11:07 PM..
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 03-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64

Nearly any cheap video card will support 1900x1200.

Press Control + Shift + Escape to open task manager. You should see percent of CPU, RAM and Disk usage. Load a huge file in PS. Do an intensive action to make it lag. Switch to task manager. Which column uses the largest percent. Repeat test a few times with different PS actions.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Poster
38 posts
View Stats

I would recommend you get a little more than 8 gigs for your card say 12
Old 03-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
King of the Mod Squad
Donor
Game Mod
Administrator
632 posts
krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!krehztim has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 22
Points: 7,103, Level: 22 Points: 7,103, Level: 22 Points: 7,103, Level: 22
Level up: 82%
Level up: 82%, 147 Points needed Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by horus View Post
I would recommend you get a little more than 8 gigs for your card say 12
Pretty sure he was talking about just the graphics card - 16gb gfx card's going to run you in the thousands, I think. Now, 16gb total RAM, that's another story.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I was talking about just the graphics card.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Poster
9 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
@cicca. What is the most powerful game you realistically plan to play? Do you want to play it on minimum, default or max settings?
Well...I wish I could play "modern" systems emulators (Model2, Model3, PSX2....), some driving game (Trackmania), some FPS (Wolfenstein)....suffs like that....at least at default settings..

Last edited by Cicca; 03-15-2016 at 04:14 AM..
Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
View Stats

Nearly all modern computers will easily play Trackmania and Wolfenstein.

Requirements to play Model2/3 and PSX2 emulators
CPU High 2 GHz with SSE2 support. (A decent mid range CPU)
Video card that supports Pixel Shaders 2.0. 8600gt or better. That's a low end $25 video card. Nearly anything more than a generic onboard card will do.
A large hard drive or a dvd burner.
2GB RAM is enough but go for at least 8.

Some computers that will work
Dell Precision T3500 Workstation Desktop Xeon W3565 3 2GHz Quad 12GB 1TB HDD | eBay

Dell Precision T3500 PC Desktop W3550 24GB 10600U 500GB HDD NVIDIA Quadro 4000 | eBay Needs OS.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Poster
9 posts
View Stats