Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
Dr_Nick is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 3
Points: 279, Level: 3 Points: 279, Level: 3 Points: 279, Level: 3
Level up: 79%
Level up: 79%, 21 Points needed Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Sherlock

No Thread for Sherlock? I just watched S03 that came out this month and have to say it's my favorite season thus far. A lot of fan service this season, er series, so much at times it seems to put the cases/mystery and story arc on the back burner, but it all comes together in the end. I've heard complaints, but I ate up the fan service with a spoon! It's a laugh a minute throughout the series.

If you haven't given Sherlock a day in court yet, I can't recommend it enough! It's well written, directed, and has Benedict Cumberbatch! It's witty, funny and intense. They only make 3 episodes per season, er series, but they're an hour and a half each, so they're basically mini movies.

When I first started watching I was put off by the modern day setting and wanted to stop there, but after watching the whole episode realized how dumb and narrow minded that point of view was. They made a believer out of me.

Netflix is streaming some, maybe the first two seasons, er series, but the BBC geo-blocks their stream of S03, (Boooo!) but PBS shows them at a latter date, or so I've been told.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 1,344 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Re: Sherlock

I've always heard it was pretty good. I'll probably check it out on Netflix someday. Need to watch Doctor Who first
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 01-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,541, Level: 23 Points: 7,541, Level: 23 Points: 7,541, Level: 23
Level up: 37%
Level up: 37%, 509 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Send a message via AIM to ARedLetterDay Send a message via MSN to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Yahoo to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Skype™ to ARedLetterDay

No thanks, I experience enough sexism with Doctor Who, I don't need it further destroying one of my favorite franchises.

"his voice swayed with the kindness of devils."

Games in Progress (Name [System, company, year released]: Location Ingame / Current Objective)

Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

I need to start watching Doctor Who, I haven't watched a whole episode. My 10 year old son was watching them on Netflix a while back... I should've just jumped in the middle with him but didn't. I don't even know which Doctor to start with
Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to ARedLetterDay Send a message via MSN to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Yahoo to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Skype™ to ARedLetterDay

You can start from the very beginning, all the way with William Hartnell as the 1st Doctor circa 1960, or you can start from the revival series with minimal knowledge of the series before hand with Christopher Eccleston as the short-lived but much-loved 9th doctor circa 2005. The two are separated on Netflix, though I suggest looking for Classic Who episodes elsewhere, Netflix's collection is more of a greatest hits (and only barely at that) of Classic Who episodes rather than a whole set, like the revival series. Great show, up until past Season 6 of the revival series. Matt Smith remains a great Doctor who just happens to be plagued by horrible writing and strung together plot lines reminiscent of a teenage fangirl's fanfiction about how the Doctor fell in love with her and how she's so important.

Games in Progress (Name [System, company, year released]: Location Ingame / Current Objective)

Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on the internet who doesn't care about Dr Who.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
View Stats

Have you given it a chance?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62

Yeah and it just seems too zany and silly, like most british humour. This doctor in particular bugs me for some reason-

( Click to show/hide )

Sherlock looks like it might be good though. Cumberbatch is pretty talented.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Cumberbatch played the voice of Smaug in Hobbit. Found that out the other day, pretty cool

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
View Stats

Well, it's definitely zany and silly at points but that's not a negative side.
Like I said up there, Sherlock is too sexist for its own good. Cumberbatch isn't good but I don't think he does a very good job as the eponymous detective. What about David Tennent bugs you?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
View Stats

It's a negative if you're not into silly and/or zany. It's hard to pinpoint what bugs me about him but I'd start with his chicken head and end with his zany/silly delivery.

Why is Sherlock so sexist? I've heard positive reviews and nothing about this criticism. I did hear that the show has already generated a lot of man on man fanfics though.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

I don't see sexism in Sherlock. If you look for sexism in Sherlock you can find it, I suppose, in the male "hero", (Sherlock tells us not to make him into a hero) with female characters relegated to lesser supporting roles. If you're looking for racism you can find it Sherlock as well. There's only one reoccurring black character and she's the detective who is against Sherlock. I'm sure Catholics can find anti-catholic stuff, homosexuals can find homophobic stuff, and Sherlock smokes cigarettes from time to time for the anti smokers to get offended. I think the show is anti-American myself! Through PBS American tax dollars are spent to partially produce the show and where are the American actors Why isn't it filmed in Topeka Kansas I already wrote my congressma...er, congress person (don't want to be sexist) to keep those 'merican dollars in 'merica!

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Nick View Post
Netflix is streaming some, maybe the first two seasons, er series, but the BBC geo-blocks their stream of S03, (Boooo!) but PBS shows them at a latter date, or so I've been told.
I just learned that the PBS versions are edited so Netflix or other means are your best bet.

Comments

Good post.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Nick View Post
I don't see sexism in Sherlock. If you look for sexism in Sherlock you can find it, I suppose, in the male "hero", (Sherlock tells us not to make him into a hero) with female characters relegated to lesser supporting roles. If you're looking for racism you can find it Sherlock as well. There's only one reoccurring black character and she's the detective who is against Sherlock. I'm sure Catholics can find anti-catholic stuff, homosexuals can find homophobic stuff, and Sherlock smokes cigarettes from time to time for the anti smokers to get offended. I think the show is anti-American myself! Through PBS American tax dollars are spent to partially produce the show and where are the American actors Why isn't it filmed in Topeka Kansas I already wrote my congressma...er, congress person (don't want to be sexist) to keep those 'merican dollars in 'merica!

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

I just learned that the PBS versions are edited so Netflix or other means are your best bet.
Haha I know right, you can implement any controversial thing into anything nowadays.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
View Stats

10 Sexist Steven Moffat Quotes | Celebrity News | Hollywood.com
Feminist Whoniverse
Of Dice and Pen: Sexism in Steven Moffat's Doctor Who?

Here's one that brings up a pro and an against sexism argument:

Philip Sandifer: Writer: The Definitive Moffat and Feminism Post

Here's a few that defend Moffat:

Andraste's Grace (this one has a pro and an against as well!)

In Defence Of Steven Moffat

I'll let you guys determine your own perspective on it.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

Your wife turns into a boat, and shortly after that, you never sleep again and you clean stuff off someone. It doesn’t seem like a very appealing prospect. Obviously, the moment I saw my child, that was different, but up until that point, I was thinking, ‘how long before she gets back to normal size? Will this damage anything?’

Dudes being funny and brutally honest. I laughed hard. If you read this or the other comments out of context or in the wrong mind it does sound bad. Saying your wife turned into a boat sounds mean and I'd never say it about my domestic partner. I don't believe in marriage either, but my domestic partner and mother of my son is a BBW and it would hurt her feelings. I don't know about his wife or their relationship. I agree with some of his views and see the humor in it. I'll freely admit, it the spirit of brutal honesty, I'm a tad sexist myself. On the surface I think women could do anything as well as men.(excluding athletics) but ask me who my favorite singer/songwitters are and I'd name a ton of men before I named a woman, same with stand up comedy, actors, authors, etc. I don't do it on purpose, I just gravitate towards the male point of view, I guess.

Last edited by CrispyChicken; 01-22-2014 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: removed swear
Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
View Stats

Quote:
"If you take most men aside when their wives are pregnant, most men are pretty frightened and worried and faintly disgusted by the whole experience."
That does make me think a lot less about him.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
That does make me think a lot less about him.
I helped the doctor deliver my son, cut the cord and all that. When he came out he was purple, upside down, covered in slimy cottage cheese looking stuff, his head was shaped like a alien, and was gasping for breath. It was disgusting, and yes, I was disgusted with the whole thing. I got his back on this one as well. It rings true to me. It may not be P.C. to say it but it is honest and funny to think it's how we all enter the world. It's so disgusting some people faint from the sight.

BTW, in the interest of decency I spared you guys from the most disgusting part.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
View Stats

I was in the room when they cut my wife open and pulled the baby out. I wasn't disgusted at all. Did you know what was gonna happen? I went into it knowing what to expect so that might've made the difference.

That being said he wasn't really talking about the actual gore of childbirth he was talking about while they're pregnant. I found that to be pathetic because it's just women putting on baby weight and being hormonal. If you love someone that shouldn't be disgusting, worrying or frightening.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

+1 (+1/-0)     

Pregnancy is just an excuse for chicks to get fat I thought?

Comments

Thanks for the laugh!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
View Stats

No it's an excuse for the guy to get fat.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
View Stats

I thought it was an excuse for IKEA.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I was in the room when they cut my wife open and pulled the baby out. I wasn't disgusted at all. Did you know what was gonna happen? I went into it knowing what to expect so that might've made the difference.

That being said he wasn't really talking about the actual gore of childbirth he was talking about while they're pregnant. I found that to be pathetic because it's just women putting on baby weight and being hormonal. If you love someone that shouldn't be disgusting, worrying or frightening.
Oh yes, I totally knew it was coming WHILE SHE WAS PREGNANT and I was DISGUSTED by the whole thing then as well. (I've seen videos) I was FRIGHTENED and WORRIED my son wouldn't be healthy or I wouldn't be good a father and give my son the same advantages that wealthier parents would give and also DISGUSTED by the world I was bringing a child into. (this was right after we invaded Iraq after 911)
These are common fears that almost every father has.

Last edited by Dr_Nick; 01-23-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
View Stats

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the frightened and disgusted Moffat was talking about, Dr.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
View Stats

Yeah I get the impression that he just meant it's icky.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Poster
46 posts
View Stats

I'm pretty sure he meant the "whole experience" because, um, I don't know.... that's what he actually said. You guys can twist into it what you want but he said the "whole experience", and there are a lot of disgusting, scary aspects to beginning life this way for the men and especially the women! If you guys want to argue the sexism in this, you should point out that the man's views are trivial compared to the poor woman's experience of this disgusting and scary process, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's disgusting and scary for both sexes.

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

That's it! I'm done! I want out! All this disgusting talk has turned me gay! i don't know how to break this to my family....