Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 670 USD (27%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported 100% by donations from users like you! We have zero ads and no membership fees.
Please help us stay free and growing.
All donations are used to improve the site. Current projects: adding GBA and N64 games and improving the emulators used to submit scores.
List of Donors Thank you.

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,012 posts
Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 40
Points: 27,962, Level: 40 Points: 27,962, Level: 40 Points: 27,962, Level: 40
Level up: 78%
Level up: 78%, 288 Points needed Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Shaw (My ISP) has ticked me off for the first time.

I really want to try and make this short, but that never seems to happen much and this is the good computer that my folks never want games to be used for or at least at a very bare minimum.

About four days ago my modem was shut off. To keep that short... I had no idea and tried reboots and all that with no success. Eventually found an answer that it was probably my isp. So I called shaw up and they said they shut it off since we are only allowed 1 modem running in a household. Really? I was here with my dad when the internet was set up here the third day we moved in, and the moral of the story is that the technician set up the router and modem downstairs, as well as the one upstairs. We asked him about some sort of limit and he said there is no limit to how many modems you can have, he was positive. That's just great, so why am I being told now otherwise. The reason he said this too is that we have a limit of 10 internet connections allowed to be online. that means xbox, computers and stuff like that. We only have 7 connections set up at any one time maximum!

the part I really find irritating is that they are just doing this NOW! I mean, We've had internet going upstairs for my brother and I for 8 months! 8 months! You think they would have noticed, even if their technician did make a mistake. Anyway, I really don't think there is a mistake unless it's the modem limit. I'm pretty sure I've been told enough times and even now when my dad found out that they did this, that it is based off amount of computers, xboxes, etc., that you have hooked up to the internet at any given time.

Problems with this? Well, not only is it outraging, but I can't come here hardly anymore unless this is fixed which it may be fixed. (my dad is incredibly persuasive, it's incredible, mostly through... not anger but sternness to the company and threats to leave the service and whatnot and shaw does our phone, cable and internet, big loss for them) My computers wireless antenna has been shot since my computer crash ages ago and I also run my xbox up there all on direct wired Ethernet. It's not the end of the world, I have enough going on in my life with friends and sports and stuff not for it to matter say as much as it did in 2008-2010 when I was in a terrible city with not much to do. But this limits my ability to come here, play n64 online and xbox online with certain friends from bowling here in my city when I'm not seeing my friends in real life. All I really do online...

It is a bit of a loss, I mean I can still use my computer, work on my hack and use usb for downloading games and transporting my rom to you guys and whatnot but this is all total crap if you ask me, Shaw should not be doing this and hopefully it is resolved.

that's an update anyways, wound up being a long update anyways as always...

I'll hopefully get this resolved...
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,285 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 22,655, Level: 38 Points: 22,655, Level: 38 Points: 22,655, Level: 38
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,995 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Re: Shaw (My ISP) has ticked me off for the first time.

Shaw is well known for being a greedy and controlling company.
Years ago, when a new cable TV provider came to town they literally swarmed on the building it was first installed in - for what purpose who really knows - but it was such a big deal it made the news.
People were saying they were sent to intimidate the new competitor.

My dad had a similar experience to yours; he had his cable split to feed a second TV in his basement.
Something went wrong with the cable {I was a kid at this time and so couldn't have fixed it} so he called them and they sent a technician to check on the problem.
As soon as the guy saw how my dad had split the cable, he took out his cutters and snipped the wire while telling my dad:

'You can't do that. If you want TV in another floor of the house, you have to pay for a second cable connection.'
{it was all one house, by the way, so it wasn't like he split it for renters or anything}

and they proceeded to try to back - bill him for the time they figured he had it hooked up.

So overall I'd say that Shaw is simply a greedy company that won't give their customers much of a deal at all; I wouldn't deal with them if it weren't for the fact my credit is awful and so I'm kind of stuck with them.

I'm happy to still have internet, but I pay way too much {$70/month - most of my money} and would change to a cheaper ISP if I could.
My shields can't repel BS of this magnitude!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,012 posts
Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

that's exactly what he'll do if they don't listen here, he'll switch companies. We have it pretty decent now but other companies will easily give us the exact same stuff cable box wise and such in order for us to sign with them. My dad has actually managed to get them to give us 2 free cable boxes over the last few years over them doing something stupid and him getting fed up and threatening to switch companies.

Ever since I can remember we've switched back and forth between stelus and shaw though. we were with telus when I was like under 5 years old, then we went to shaw, then we went back to telus and back to shaw for the last 6 or 7 years at least now. I guess there is more options here now but I've heard bad things about verizon & comcast so like hell were going to them, they're worse. I don't think my dad likes any of these companies, they're all pirates in one way or another.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,740 posts
elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 11,425, Level: 27 Points: 11,425, Level: 27 Points: 11,425, Level: 27
Level up: 87%
Level up: 87%, 125 Points needed Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Yup Shaw is greedy like that. It truly is amazing how long they have gotten away with some of the things they pull. I have heard way to many horror stories like yours over the years.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,562 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 95,325, Level: 62 Points: 95,325, Level: 62 Points: 95,325, Level: 62
Level up: 24%
Level up: 24%, 15,425 Points needed Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Not even Timewarner seems that bad o.o

Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Donor
2,798 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 35
Points: 18,777, Level: 35 Points: 18,777, Level: 35 Points: 18,777, Level: 35
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 1,173 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I'm not sure what the big deal is. I know in my service agreements, it is very specific about not splicing wires and about using one receiver per television.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,012 posts
View Stats

I don't know to be honest. In my opinion most, if not all of these companies are greedy and stupid in many ways as I have said. But you think they would be trying to improve their customer service quality and being more lenient to compete with the other several companies out there. am I right? I mean that is just proper business competition and it benefits us the customers...

Quote:
Not even Timewarner seems that bad o.o
That is the other one I heard lots of bad things about. I've heard constant complaints about internet quality and losing connections by 2 or 3 different people. Same with verizon.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,285 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 22,655, Level: 38 Points: 22,655, Level: 38 Points: 22,655, Level: 38
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,995 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fellow Shaw users:

Is it just me or has it slowed down significantly in the past week?
Is it just me or does it seem an odd coincidence this is happening in the wake of their flyers for their 'newer, faster' internet?

Shaw Internet ? Choose a connection speed that suits your webstyle - Shaw.ca
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,012 posts
View Stats

uhh, I just got a new wireless card because I had to thanks to them but my internet is the same as always. Then again this wireless card is 30 times faster than what I was on before.