Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
5,581 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 51
Points: 44,169, Level: 51 Points: 44,169, Level: 51 Points: 44,169, Level: 51
Level up: 37%
Level up: 37%, 1,081 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Shadow Run

So me and a few buddies have been playing Shadow Run recently.

Nah, not the 16 bit game here, nor the new computer game there, but the original table top role playing game.

It's actually the first social rpg I have ever played and I'm quite enjoying it. I used to think these things were kinda dorky, but the atmosphere of the game makes it pretty sociable and covers a lot of cool ideas as opposed to a game about orcs and goblins. I'm sure a lot of it just boils down to playing with people you know well, though.

Last edited by DrunkN; 11-06-2014 at 06:33 PM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 1,344 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Re: Shadow Run

There are some really fun and cool board games to play. There's a Game of Thrones board game (I think it's Risk?) that was a lot of fun to play. Intense and atmospheric.

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 11-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Shadow Run was a board game?
I never knew that, my first exposure to the title was the PC game {or perhaps a port?}.
It's good to 'unplug' once in a while and certainly the enjoyment is mostly in who you are playing the game with.

Not to say that the game itself doesn't have to do with its own enjoyment; some games are simply more interesting and fun to play than others - and that's exactly why I very rarely will play them - because most of them fail to hold my interest for long.

( Click to show/hide )

Probably my favorite board game ever: Gambler~!

^
I've been trying to find this one in a second - hand store but so far no luck.

Anyhow thanks for sharing about Shadow Run DN, I hope you guys have a great time playing it, and maybe let us know how your adventure is going?
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 16,735 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

Not a board game. Table Top RPG like Dungeons and Dragons.

I played Dark Sun last year. The group moved on to Shadow Run after but I dropped out. Might pick Dark Sun up again this winter.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

I've played some Shadow Run back in the day. I remember being some computer hacking shapshifter of some sort.

Tabletop RPGs are all about atmosphere. The right people and the right setting. Buddies sitting around a table, having some beers, bullshitting and playing a game. People who play them may be dorks but the games themselves are definitely cool and sociable experiences.

Good on ya for trying something out of your normal comfort range.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64

Big reason I skipped on Shadow Run was because I invested too much time learning the DND rules etc and didn't want to learn a new system.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Big reason I skipped on Shadow Run was because I invested too much time learning the DND rules etc and didn't want to learn a new system.
Afterwards Wizards of the Coast (publisher of DnD) got smart and made an open source D20 rule set. Now nearly all modern tabletop games follow the same basic rule guidelines which makes it much easier jumping from one game to another.

That being said, D&D is still the best of the bunch. They have the largest budget for talent after all. I've played a little Dark Sun but wasn't too keen on the magic system. My favorite settings were Ravenloft and Forgotten Realms.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
5,581 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Anyhow thanks for sharing about Shadow Run DN, I hope you guys have a great time playing it, and maybe let us know how your adventure is going?
Our shadow running career is pretty small right now. We meet on Sundays, have had a few sessions already, and last time we met we finished our first gig: a technology heist of some new android limbs from some mega corporation.

I'm a decker, so the stuff I went about doing was akin to shutting down security systems, hacking databases for blueprints and recent corporate e-mail exchanges, forging fake IDs, and getting beaten up by agent Smith when they detect me running through all their systems.

It's an interesting game alright. I'm thinking of pitching a Big Lebowski style mission to our DM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

If I wasn't such a graphics whore I'd be all over PnP games. I've actually read up on the SR story and I thought it was really cool. It's a million miles cooler than the console versions and I thought those were great.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cute Game Enthusiast
173 posts
CaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the darkCaptainJivePants glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 17
Points: 3,677, Level: 17 Points: 3,677, Level: 17 Points: 3,677, Level: 17
Level up: 57%
Level up: 57%, 173 Points needed Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainJivePants

I absolutely loved the Genesis game, and I played the card game briefly. D&D and tabletop games can be really fun if you are with the right crowd, playing it at the level you all want to play it. I have wanted to try the Shadowrun table top game for some time now. Pretty sure I would be a decker, but a street samurai of some sort might be just whiz.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
View Stats

Old 11-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
5,581 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Hah! I forgot that your avatar was from Shadowrun.