Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 09-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 16,735 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Science!

A thread to post and discuss interesting science.

I'll start it off with this
The First Gear Discovered in Nature - Popular Mechanics

A bug evolved a mechanical gear in it's legs.
It is the only creature known to have gears.
It is one of (but not the) fastest animal accelerators.
It's body is less than 1/10th an inch and it can jump over 8 mph at nearly 400 g's.
Humans die at less than 20 g's.

It's "hip" bones.

Post more science.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

+1 (+1/-0)     
Re: Science!

Recent advancements in quantum teleportation.

Comments

Very interesting video, thanks!

Last edited by stevencassidy13; 09-13-2013 at 03:34 PM..
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64 Points: 133,715, Level: 64

Just an FYI as I understand that.

By teleportation they do not mean "beam me up Scotty" style.

If perfected I think it would have two primary uses.
1. Make computer processors extremely fast.
2. Make communication between Earth and space extremely fast. Which would be really handy if we ever start to really explore space.

Pretty sure they are first working on #1.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
IGBYgate 2014
2,045 posts
Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,944, Level: 38 Points: 23,944, Level: 38 Points: 23,944, Level: 38
Level up: 70%
Level up: 70%, 706 Points needed Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 63%
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%

Pretty cool. Although Kong is right, its more of a communication rather than a teleportation.

Polymer regenerates all by itself | Chemistry World

Terminators are not too far away.

---------- Post added 09-16-2013 at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-15-2013 at 09:44 PM ----------

A 1,476-foot tower equipped with its very own cloaking device

Super cool but super pointless. Low flying aircraft crash just waiting to happen.
We start making invisible things and the first thing we make is a building. Why?

Last edited by Barra; 09-16-2013 at 01:05 AM..
Old 09-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
5,581 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 51
Points: 44,169, Level: 51 Points: 44,169, Level: 51 Points: 44,169, Level: 51
Level up: 37%
Level up: 37%, 1,081 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Super cool but super pointless. Low flying aircraft crash just waiting to happen.
That was my first thought. Who would fund something like this?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
IGBYgate 2014
2,045 posts
Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Barra has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkN View Post
That was my first thought. Who would fund something like this?
"...the project is being backed by Korea Land & Housing Corporation ó a state-owned land and public housing developer"

No completion date yet though so maybe they are still looking for funding.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
View Stats

Old 09-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 1,344 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Bill Nye the Science Guy was on Dancing With the Stars yesterday. He was pretty bad but the crowd loved him and started chanting "Bill! Bill! Bill!".

While this has barely anything to do with science, I figured this would be the perfect place to post this since Bill Nye is The science guy And I definitely didn't want to make a topic just on this XD

Last edited by CrispyChicken; 09-17-2013 at 03:25 PM..

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Bill Nye gets a pass on anything(within reason obviously) he does because he's so cool.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,326 posts
View Stats

I like that they incorporated his personality into the dance. Good song choice for him.

Is anyone (everyone) else super annoyed by all the formulaic 3 judge panel shows? I totally felt like the judges were reading a script and knew what they were going to say irregardless of his performance.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
I like that they incorporated his personality into the dance. Good song choice for him.

Is anyone (everyone) else super annoyed by all the formulaic 3 judge panel shows? I totally felt like the judges were reading a script and knew what they were going to say irregardless of his performance.
Yeah I really don't watch the show. My mom does and I watched yesterday when I heard Bill Nye was going to be on lol.

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
IGBYgate 2014
2,045 posts
View Stats

Why is Bill Nye so cool? I havent watched much of his stuff.
Personally as a science geek I like
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

He's had a children show about putting baking powder in vinegar and such. I have no idea why he's exploded off the top of the cool charts over the last couple years.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62

@Kong- Yeah the panel judge thing is getting really old. It seems like they always have a formula, like one judge will be mean no matter what.

@steven- I assume he's popular again because he's out spoken about his belief that stuff like creationism is bad for kids and that climate change is very real. He's sick of the misinformation and he's not making any apologies if it offends people. He's not a jerk about it though.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

I grew up watching Bill Nye videos in 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th grade. He's fun. He loves his job, and he's good at it too. I've learned a lot from him and he keeps kids interested. Plus he's just a fun character in general lol.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
@Kong- Yeah the panel judge thing is getting really old. It seems like they always have a formula, like one judge will be mean no matter what.

@steven- I assume he's popular again because he's out spoken about his belief that stuff like creationism is bad for kids and that climate change is very real. He's sick of the misinformation and he's not making any apologies if it offends people. He's not a jerk about it though.
Gotcha, I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to stuff like that.
kong on Bronies:

Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

Here's an episode of his show. He pretty much teaches basic science for kids to learn. Honestly, it really did help me in middle school and early high school. Its a fun way to learn, which is hard to find in school for the everyday student.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
5,581 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 51
Points: 44,169, Level: 51 Points: 44,169, Level: 51 Points: 44,169, Level: 51
Level up: 37%
Level up: 37%, 1,081 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
I grew up watching Bill Nye videos in 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th grade. He's fun. He loves his job, and he's good at it too. I've learned a lot from him and he keeps kids interested. Plus he's just a fun character in general lol.
Ditto. I never knew anyone who hated Nye or his show. Even when I was a freshman in high school we occasionally watched clips from his stuff with minimal groaning at the (by then) simple material.

@Barra: I like Kaku as well, but I a big factor in the popularity is Nye's show. A lot of people who were exposed to it are in college and highschool now.

To get back to Science a little bit, I'm adding this;
Wide-Faced Men Make Others Act Selfishly

Last edited by DrunkN; 09-17-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
IGBYgate 2014
2,045 posts
View Stats

Oh right so its more about Nye's character/persona which has the mass appeal. I guess you can see it as Nye being the kids scientist and Kaku being the adults'....hehe
Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12
Level up: 72%
Level up: 72%, 144 Points needed Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

On the main topic, I believe that teleportation could be possible not through disintegration and reintegration, like on Star Trek, but through mini-wormholes and quantum singularity. I once saw a show which stated that the software data alone for "Trek transport" is beyond even near future tech, and that disintegration would essentially kill the passengers.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikman View Post
and that disintegration would essentially kill the passengers.
Don't worry Star Trek didn't gloss over this part. In that story there's a debate about what actually happens when someone is beamed up. Are they still the same person or a copy? When they were first used in starships most people still preferred other transport, like shuttlecraft. Even as late as TNG they made a point of showing that Bones(DeForest Kelley) hates using it because he doesn't want his atoms scattered. Obviously they show that the vast majority of people don't think twice about doing it but here and there they show some reluctance and outright refusal.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats

Aha, some were sketchy about it. On Star Trek, they have a device which solves the uncertainy principle, but how does that work?

When do you believe teleportation will become feasible for regular use?
Old 09-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
View Stats

To both questions- Who knows. It's science fiction. It might never happen.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
View Stats

Sleep is important!

Old 09-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

Much of what was sci-fi is now sci-fact.

Strangely, though, little sci-fi media predicted the internet, or at least it's role in society.