Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 499 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
185 posts
thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 4,912, Level: 20 Points: 4,912, Level: 20 Points: 4,912, Level: 20
Level up: 24%
Level up: 24%, 838 Points needed Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
Send a message via AIM to thetedster

Retro Gamings "Secret Gems" and games that would be a crime not enjoying

I'd like people to list games that are so beautiful, that they literally make up the culture that is retro gaming. These games hit all high marks in my book, or at least a mark that if you simply ignored any of these games when you were a kid, load it up on RU, and play it, it's a crime against gaming humanity.

I'm personally going to list mine that I don't believe everyone has played, I don't want to state the obvious that are on other players lists.

(That includes Final Fantasy Series, Donkey Kong Country series, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, and so on and so on)

SNES

Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse: First off, this is in the list because of the beautiful music, not only did someone make this game and care about it, but the creativity and motivation to create a game that has secret paths, secret areas, some of the best music on the snes, and more, it just blows peoples minds. There is apparently a sequel coming with the same style game play that also involves mickey.

Actraiser (1 and 2): Actraiser 1 was a great game because not only did it demand a difficulty that scaled (well) as you progressed, but also taught you life lessons when you were this young. Actraiser 2's difficulty shot up, and required more of a scale of memorization to beat some of it's stages, but it's music was some players first times hearing classical music being revolved around a video game, which blew peoples minds.

Out of This World: Some players first time with an action/adventure sim, it was great in the fact that you learned about the story, your character, you really felt for him, and in the end, it taught you about yourself. It also pushed the SNES to it's limits in regards to what you could do with it.

Sega CD

Sol-Feace: This is "Sol-Deace" on the SNES, but holy god this music just made me go nuts. Go on youtube and watch some gameplay for this plane game. the music was so crisp, so upbeat and crazy, I felt that I was playing a legitimate MAME arcade at my house when I was a kid loading this game up.

Streets of Rage: On this list because I don;'t believe many people played this on the Sega CD, let me tell you not enjoying this game on the Sega CD is a crime against Humanity. The music and their voices are beyond what you would ever expect in a video game.

These are just a few, I'll list more when they come up in my head, but what others can anybody think of? Maybe some on RU I haven't played yet? lol
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,101 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,708, Level: 60 Points: 66,708, Level: 60 Points: 66,708, Level: 60
Level up: 63%
Level up: 63%, 3,742 Points needed Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Retro Gamings "Secret Gems" and games that would be a crime not enjoying

Castlevania Symphony of the Night, a perfect game.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
671 posts
ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,597, Level: 23 Points: 7,597, Level: 23 Points: 7,597, Level: 23
Level up: 44%
Level up: 44%, 453 Points needed Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Send a message via AIM to ARedLetterDay Send a message via MSN to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Yahoo to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Skype™ to ARedLetterDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedster View Post
SNES

Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse: First off, this is in the list because of the beautiful music, not only did someone make this game and care about it, but the creativity and motivation to create a game that has secret paths, secret areas, some of the best music on the snes, and more, it just blows peoples minds. There is apparently a sequel coming with the same style game play that also involves mickey.
There were two other Magical Quest games, the second released in America for SNES, GEN, and GBA and the third released only in Japan for the SNES and then Overseas for the GBA:

Disney's Magical Quest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
Castlevania Symphony of the Night, a perfect game.
It's excellent beyond belief, but in no way perfect.

It's far too easy, even for most first-timers. The only difficult portion of the game is Galamoth, due to the insane amounts of damage he can inflict, but that's optional and his elemental attacks are easily negated by the Alucard Armor (or another set of armor if I'm mistaken) which absorbs Fire, Ice and Lightning. You don't get damaged and when you do it's easily healed up once he starts casting his lightning spells.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

"his voice swayed with the kindness of devils."

Games in Progress (Name [System, company, year released]: Location Ingame / Current Objective)

Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,101 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARedLetterDay View Post
It's excellent beyond belief, but in no way perfect.
I was wondering how long it would take, quicker than I expected.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

I consider it a perfect game, not because it is flawless, but because I would not change anything about it. Kinda the same way a girls imperfections can make her more attractive.

Comments

That's me, for ya! I love SOTN, too, though, don't think I don't. xD
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Poster
671 posts
ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to ARedLetterDay Send a message via MSN to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Yahoo to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Skype™ to ARedLetterDay

The only thing I'd change about it is the inclusion of Maria as a playable character like in the Saturn version, and make the difficulty more like the classic CV's and the newer ones. Also add the Secret Garden in, bam, perfection on a disc.

Games in Progress (Name [System, company, year released]: Location Ingame / Current Objective)

Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,101 posts
View Stats

Quote:
The only thing I'd change about it is the inclusion of Maria as a playable character like in the Saturn version, and make the difficulty more like the classic CV's and the newer ones. Also add the Secret Garden in, bam, perfection on a disc.
A big part of what makes the game awesome is the fact that it can be easy or hard, there are oodles of equipment that control that. Figuring out what works and where it works is awesome fun. That blend of RPG and Action/Adventure has never been matched, aside from arguments being made for the DS entries.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
671 posts
View Stats

The Ys games, as well as The Elder Scrolls, among others.
But I definitely agree with what you're saying.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,727 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 1,152 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

@RedLetter- Daggerfall and Morrowind are both overlooked because of how great Oblivion and Skyrim were. I like both of them. They must've been gems for their time lol.

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,745 posts
bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 11,136, Level: 27 Points: 11,136, Level: 27 Points: 11,136, Level: 27
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 414 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Not retro but

Folklore on the PS3.

It's kind of hard to explain but it's part Pokemon(you have to defeat and collect Folk then use them to fight for you) but action based and a murder mystery of sorts. It also involves Faeries and exploring the Netherworld.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,192 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

UN Squadron:
UN Squadron - Super Nintendo

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs:
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - Arcade/Coin-Op

Castlevania Bloodlines:
Castlevania Bloodlines - Sega Genesis

Remove Pootis
Old 11-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
671 posts
View Stats

Action Man: Search for Base X - Nintendo Game Boy Color
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - Nintendo Game Boy Color
Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers - Nintendo Game Boy Color
Donald Duck: Lucky Dime Caper - Sega Game Gear
EVO: Search For Eden - Super Nintendo
Gun Nac - Nintendo Entertainment System
Silver Surfer - Nintendo Entertainment System
(I don't care what anybody says, Silver Surfer is an awesome game with mindblowing music and smooth gameplay. It's not that hard, honestly.)
Super Robot Wars 3 - Super Nintendo
Toki - Nintendo Entertainment System
Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil - Nintendo Game Boy Color
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion - Nintendo Game Boy Color
Turok Battle Of The Bionosaurs - Nintendo Game Boy
Turok: Rage Wars - Nintendo Game Boy Color
Wolf Child - Super Nintendo
Wolverine - Nintendo Entertainment System

Enjoy, fellow RUser's!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,101 posts
View Stats

Silver Surfer is not good, the music is good, but no, that game sucks hard.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

And your list is bad too, I don't agree with a single entry.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
671 posts
View Stats

Super Robot Wars 3 is one of the greatest strategy games ever.
I don't know what you have against the rest of them, SteveCass, lol.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,101 posts
View Stats

Okay sorry, I agree with EVO, but that's it.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Super Robot Wars 3 is one of the greatest strategy games ever.
I don't know what you have against the rest of them, SteveCass, lol.
You are an idiot.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
671 posts
View Stats

I can see Wolverine, maybe, but the rest have either excellent gameplay, music, or graphics.
Action Man: Great music, smooth gameplay, good graphics considering the source material.
Batman Beyond: Okay music, smooth gameplay, a good inventory system, and pretty awesome graphics. A nice adaptation of the movie.
The two Donald Duck games are perhaps two of the finest Disney platformers available around that time.
Gun Nac had amazing music, fast paced, intense, challenging gameplay, and nice graphics.
Super Robot Wars had a great storyline, some of the best strategy gameplay ever, a nice crossover of the Mecha anime's. Brought them together well.
Toki is just ridiculously fun, and I think is one of two games on this list that is affected by nostalgia for me (the other being Wolf Child).
The Turok games, good music, ok graphics, challenging gameplay, granted they're not FPS' like their console counterparts, but I see them more as an adaptation of the comic books than the games (excluding Seeds of Evil and the 3rd one)
Wolf Child is just full of nostalgia seeds for me, so it might not actually be a good game. -shrug.
But, it's your opinion at the end of the day and I respect it!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,101 posts
View Stats

Yeah sorry, you are not an idiot, and you are entitled to your opinion, but 5 Turok games!?? We are talking about games that made history here.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
185 posts
thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.thetedster intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 4,912, Level: 20 Points: 4,912, Level: 20 Points: 4,912, Level: 20
Level up: 24%
Level up: 24%, 838 Points needed Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
Send a message via AIM to thetedster

To butt in, we're talking about games that would be ungrateful to the gaming community if you didn't take the time and play the game.

Basically hidden gems, games that didn't make a ton of money on it's release, or was overlooked because of better titles when it was released.

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistral is a great example, EVO is one as well, but yeah that's what the list is about.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,069 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 107,002, Level: 62 Points: 107,002, Level: 62 Points: 107,002, Level: 62
Level up: 82%
Level up: 82%, 3,748 Points needed Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy
And your list is bad too, I don't agree with a single entry.
Quote:
You are an idiot.
I don't know what your problem is but you need to get over it. Apologies after the fact aren't gonna cut it. If you wanna be rude and judge people go make a blog.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,101 posts
View Stats

M.C. kids.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
593 posts
Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Razeluxe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 7,473, Level: 23 Points: 7,473, Level: 23 Points: 7,473, Level: 23
Level up: 28%
Level up: 28%, 577 Points needed Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

Armed Dragon Fantasy Villgust - Nintendo Entertainment System
Emerald Dragon - Super Nintendo
Langrisser, Der - Super Nintendo
Live A Live - Super Nintendo