Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 255 USD (10%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported by donations. We have minimal ads and no membership fees.
Donors receive a few perks such as no ads and access to hidden areas of the site.
Please help us stay 100% free and growing by making a donation. Thank you.
List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
6,748 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,086, Level: 44 Points: 33,086, Level: 44 Points: 33,086, Level: 44
Level up: 43%
Level up: 43%, 864 Points needed Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

really bad ass 3D art

I found this site and was impressed by the artwork that this guy made. Really great stuff.

3D Drawings by 17 year old artist Fredo - Virtualfunzone
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Donor
607 posts
fungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 5,037, Level: 20 Points: 5,037, Level: 20 Points: 5,037, Level: 20
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 713 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Re: really bad ass 3D art

Nice. M.C. Escher in the making.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
9,833 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 54
Points: 50,553, Level: 54 Points: 50,553, Level: 54 Points: 50,553, Level: 54
Level up: 95%
Level up: 95%, 97 Points needed Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Some weird stuff, he's got a ways to go on his techical ability, but that can come quick for some.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
the strongest
5,932 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 31
Points: 15,238, Level: 31 Points: 15,238, Level: 31 Points: 15,238, Level: 31
Level up: 79%
Level up: 79%, 212 Points needed Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Because art is totally about technical ability, not expression and all that crap.

Seriously, who cares if his technical abilities are perfect? They are the kind of flaws that no one sees unless they are looking specifically at those aspects of the work.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power; its burning grip tells me to defeat you! SHINING FINGER!"
I can be found on my blog more often than not (occasionally NSFW)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
23,998 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 84,253, Level: 61 Points: 84,253, Level: 61 Points: 84,253, Level: 61
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 6,297 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

I'm not into art all that much but I was pretty impressed with how he made it look so 3D. I can see what steven's saying about his technical ability but DM has a point too. I disagree about you only seeing it if you're looking for it though. I would say the flaws make it better because it's different. Lots of expensive art looks like crap to me but for some reason people love it. I dunno, not really my thing either way.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
9,833 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask View Post
Because art is totally about technical ability, not expression and all that crap.

Seriously, who cares if his technical abilities are perfect? They are the kind of flaws that no one sees unless they are looking specifically at those aspects of the work.
I wouldnt have mentioned it if it wasnt obvious that it is what he's striving for.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
373 posts
pieman124 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,195, Level: 13 Points: 2,195, Level: 13 Points: 2,195, Level: 13
Level up: 44%
Level up: 44%, 255 Points needed Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Wow! These are awesome. That guys good. I like the first one. That was the one that looked the best IMO.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
11,945 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 65,045, Level: 60 Points: 65,045, Level: 60 Points: 65,045, Level: 60
Level up: 47%
Level up: 47%, 5,405 Points needed Level up: 47% Level up: 47%

@SC & DB: I'm not getting/seeing this obvious lack of technical ability. Care to explain it?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
23,998 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 84,253, Level: 61 Points: 84,253, Level: 61 Points: 84,253, Level: 61
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 6,297 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Like I said I'm not really into this kind of thing. I just mean it looks like some stuff could be done better, hard to explain. It could look a little more lifelike, if that makes sense.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
9,833 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
@SC & DB: I'm not getting/seeing this obvious lack of technical ability. Care to explain it?
He simply isnt displaying a foundation of drawing:

You need to know how light effects the object. I'm not about to start teaching art here.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator
11,945 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I'm not asking you to teach art nor am I trying to come off as snarky. I'm seriously curious as those look amazing to me.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
the strongest
5,932 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I'm with Tenser, these drawings look amazing, and they look sort of abstract, so why would the laws of real lighting be the right way to go. I get it if it is some glaring flaw, like a circular shadow for a cube or something, but I see nothing wrong.

You don't need a strong foundation in drawing to be an amazing artist.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
9,833 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

Compared to:

Again, @ DM: I wouldnt have mentioned it if it wasnt obvious that it is what he is striving for.

Comments

Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator
11,945 posts
View Stats

See, I don't like the bottom one. Dude's got a tiny head.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
9,833 posts
View Stats

Regardless of personal taste, the bottom one is totally convincing, it has life. To be honest the top one really has nothing correct about it as far as the rendering is concerned. I should be obvious what I mean, just by comparing the 2.

People usually don't understand the importance of shading spheres like this one below. This is an excellent diagram showing how a properly rendered sphere can translate to anything in the world.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator
11,945 posts
View Stats

Meh, if you say so. Seems like art snobbery but what do I know. I just know to my untrained eye his art seems to pop off the page which looks really cool while the bottom one looks boring and amateurish. I don't get a lot of "art" though.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
the strongest
5,932 posts
View Stats

You see, now that you've explained yourself a bit better, I can see what you mean.

Though, I find that bottom one is unappealing to my untrained eye, it is well done and all, but I don't really like the focus on realism, I'd just look at photos if I wanted to see a realistic rendering of a real person.

I do agree with you that shading spheres is pretty important.

To me, the top one looks like the subject is completely separate from the paper.

Whatever, I don't get "art" in a traditional sense. I like it and all, and I can appreciate the masters, for the most part. I just don't understand what all the fuss over DaVinci and Picasso is all about. Especially surrounding the Mona Lisa, I just don't like that painting.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Poster
9,833 posts
View Stats

Also too, the only thing I'm talking about is the technique, I can absolutely understand if someone likes the kids image more than the proffessional portrait. The kid has more exciting content than boring old portraits for sure. The reason this kids stuff looks so 3d is because in almost all of them the actually are, he is using real life depth, and strategic placement so that his images are actually taking up space in 3 dimensions. (not a fan personally, seems a little too "arty" for my tastes.) Now the reason I mentioned it in the first place is that if you take the skilled hand of portrait artist, and combine it with what the kid is doing you would really have something banging. And like I mentioned, it comes fast for some people, so maybe in 2 or 3 years this kid will have it mastered.

Picasso does suck btw DM, Divinci was one of the greatest thinkers to walk the planet, his art is secondary to that imo.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
the strongest
5,932 posts
View Stats

Oh, I like DaVinci, not as an artist though. He was an intelligent man, writing notes as if written in a mirror and all that.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
6,748 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

That second piece you posted is really impressive Steve. After really looking at the 17 year old artist's work, I am going to agree with you that he needs some practice in order to really push his art to his fullest potential.

@Tenser: It's not really about being a snob when breaking down the art. Yes, to the untrained eye it has little to no flaws, but when you study art it's just something you tend to notice. I have some training in drawing and painting, but I didn't notice those little details as quickly as Steven. But even with those little errors, I still think he's a great artist...and how the hell is the second picture Steven posted boring? It's got great shading and looks very realistic. Loved the smoke effect whoever that was did.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Administrator
11,945 posts
View Stats

@Joz: It's just personal taste. To me it just looks like an old man with a shrunken head.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
6,748 posts
View Stats

@ Tenser: Fair enough.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Poster
9,833 posts
View Stats

I think his head looks small bcause his big overcoat is draped over him like a cape, his arms arnt actually in the sleeves.