Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 07-21-2010, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 1,152 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Percy Jackson & The Olympians Series

An excellent book series that I highly recommend to anyone interested in Greek Mythology or the Greek Gods like Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, and lots more. The series is about a boy named Percy Jackson who discovers he's a Demigod (half human/ half god) and is sent by his mom to a special Demigod camp called Camp HalfBlood which is a camp for training Demigods. Here's a description for the first book...

"Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.
Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves."

Trust me, once you start reading the book, you'll never stop!

BTW, the movie is sooooo much worse than the book.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 07-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Re: Percy Jackson & The Olympians Series

Quote:
That's good to hear. That movie looks awful and if it was on TV I'd probably watch an infomercial instead.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Yeah, the movie didn't even follow key parts of the book. Rick Riordan wrote the book, but had nothing to do with the movie, so you can't blame him :P I'm reading the last book of the series now and it's excellent so far. In my opinion, the first book is the best of the series, followed by the 5th (and last), then the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd. And all the books were still good. None of them were bad at all. The second was the shortest, like 300 pages or something like that and I think the first is the longest with like 400 or somewhere around there.

EDIT- My bad, my page numbers were off :P I fixed them though.

Last edited by CrispyChicken; 07-21-2010 at 01:44 AM..

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62

I just read up on the series and it does sound good but I doubt I'd get around to reading it. Btw I'm glad to see the author didn't drastically change the gods and other creatures. It's hard to put those characters into modern times but it seems like he did a good job by all the positive reviews I saw.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
That makes it sound like the book is bad to begin with....

I saw the movie and I sort of liked it. If the book is better than the movie then I'll probably enjoy it. I'm yet to see a movie about a book that I like better than the book version.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozman3000 View Post
That makes it sound like the book is bad to begin with....

I saw the movie and I sort of liked it. If the book is better than the movie then I'll probably enjoy it. I'm yet to see a movie about a book that I like better than the book version.
I meant that the book was alot better than the movie. The movie was way too fast and left out alot of stuff in the book, but they had to unless they wanted like a 2 and a half hour movie

Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
I meant that the book was alot better than the movie. The movie was way too fast and left out alot of stuff in the book, but they had to unless they wanted like a 2 and a half hour movie

Yeah I knew what you ment. A two and a half hour movie would be the norm now a day wouldn't it?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozman3000 View Post
Yeah I knew what you ment. A two and a half hour movie would be the norm now a day wouldn't it?
For a movie like that, I think the normal are like 2 hours max. I don't see much 2 and a half hour movies anymore lol

Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
306 posts
zarny is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 11
Points: 1,499, Level: 11 Points: 1,499, Level: 11 Points: 1,499, Level: 11
Level up: 99%
Level up: 99%, 1 Points needed Level up: 99% Level up: 99%

I never read any of the books or seen any of the movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
That's good to hear. That movie looks awful and if it was on TV I'd probably watch an infomercial instead.
What's wrong with infomercials?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Meh, not my kind of book. I prefer books that are darker, and deal with murder and the likes. I enjoy things that Thomas Harris writes, like Silence of the Lambs. I also enjoy Stephen King and Dean Koontz's writing.
These do look sort of promising though, no dramatic butchery of the Greek gods.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

Well there's some action, like slaughtering of evil monsters and such.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarny View Post
What's wrong with infomercials?
Everything? Only a couple are watchable imo and even then it's just to laugh at them.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Donor
162 posts
Bluej is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 26
Points: 10,363, Level: 26 Points: 10,363, Level: 26 Points: 10,363, Level: 26
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 287 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

I enjoyed the movie (not as good as Clash of the Titans, either version) but still a good movie and I like a lot of the actor's that are in it.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

Almost done with the fifth and last book of the series (like 20 pages left) and I have to say its the best of the series. I thought it was amazing and its now my favorite book to my favorite series.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,122 posts
fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11
Level up: 91%
Level up: 91%, 19 Points needed Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

I've never read any of the books. Who wrote them? I'm going to look for them and try to get them.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

Rick Riordan is the author of the series. He has a few other series that I haven't read. He's going to make a sequel series to the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series, I don't know the details about it though.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
369 posts
pieman124 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,195, Level: 13 Points: 2,195, Level: 13 Points: 2,195, Level: 13
Level up: 44%
Level up: 44%, 255 Points needed Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

I'm reading the first one for a school project. But I like the book so far. It's not the book I have to read that is annoying, but its the project I have to do.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

Rick Riordan is making a sequel series called "Heroes of Olympus" which is about three new heroes, but all the main characters from the last series are in it. The first two chapters are online. The first book is called "The Lost Hero" and thats because it is found out at the end of the second chapter that Percy Jackson has been missing for three days. It looks very cool and I can't wait to read the first book when it comes out in October of this year.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60
Level up: 86%, 1,469 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieman124 View Post
I'm reading the first one for a school project. But I like the book so far. It's not the book I have to read that is annoying, but its the project I have to do.
Your in school right now?
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-12-2010, 01:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Some schools go year round nowdays, it's weird.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
He means Summer Reading Project, I'm pretty sure.

@ Dudebro- Year-a-round schools?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

I'm not too familiar with it but I heard some schools eliminate summer break and spread the time off through out the year. They don't go anymore than other kids(I think) but they end up in school in the summer.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

That sucks. I rather have 3 months off than have random times off during the whole year.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #24 (permalink)
Regular Poster
369 posts
pieman124 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,195, Level: 13 Points: 2,195, Level: 13 Points: 2,195, Level: 13
Level up: 44%
Level up: 44%, 255 Points needed Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
No a summer project. I would not like to be in school now.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,122 posts
fenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of averagefenrir1887 has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11 Points: 1,481, Level: 11
Level up: 91%
Level up: 91%, 19 Points needed Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

Now it's just a matter of reading the books and this new series when it comes out.