Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 1,469 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Netflix

So, I got rid of my cable last night, since it was about 70 Bucks a month, and a little outside our budget at the moment, And I noticed Netflix is available for the Wii now for just 10 bucks a month.
Does anyone have experience with Netflix?
Is it tv shows or just movies?
Is there additional fees or your flat rate of 9.99 a month?
How is the service overall?
Is there download times?
Is it frustrating, or simple as pie?
Would you reccomend it?
Hook me up with some info nerds.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Annnnnddddd, just found out it's not available in Canada, but it might be soon so I encourage some responses anyway.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Re: Netflix

DUDE GET IT! I haven't had cable for months now and I don't miss it at all. It has shows and movies from around the world. It's freakin sweet!

DaMb! Sorry to hear you can't get it up there.

Last edited by joz; 08-13-2010 at 05:46 PM..
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 1,152 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

I have Netflix, it's pretty useful.

"Does anyone have experience with Netflix?" Yes, I reccomend it, because you can go on Netflix.com, go and send a movie into instant queue which allows you to watch movies instantly although not all movies/tv shows are avaible for this feature, you can still get everything else through the mail.
"Is it tv shows or just movies?" Both, they have a wide variety of tv shows and movies available.
"Is there additional fees or your flat rate of 9.99 a month?" I'm not sure since I don't pay, but I don't think so.
"How is the service overall?" It's pretty good, my dad has never had any troubles with Netflix and the movies come pretty quickly through the mail.
"Is there download times?" Yes, but the dowload is for the instant queue (mentioned above) only and it's only a short wait.
"Is it frustrating, or simple as pie?" Pretty much simple as pie. I don't see anything really too difficult with it.
"Would you reccomend it?" Yes, I reccomend it. It's way better than Blockbuster.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by CrispyChicken; 08-13-2010 at 05:49 PM..

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21 Points: 6,081, Level: 21
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 369 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom

I don't have cable. As a matter of fact, I don't even have a television any more. But I have netflix, and it is absolutely great.

I pay 10 bucks a month for 1 DVD and unlimited streaming. I don't really use the DVD, just the streaming. It's TV Shows as well as movies, and the selection is great. There are plenty of obscure movies to watch instantly as well as a lot of more popular stuff, so no matter what you are in to it will probably fit your tastes. Lately I have been watching King Of The Hill and Arrested Development, and I watched the movie Moon a few days ago.

It's really easy to navigate. When I was at my parents' (they have really slow internet) it would take a movie a few minutes to load, but after that it would mostly play fine. Where I am now I have pretty good internet, and a movie loads in an instant.

I can't recommend Netflix highly enough. I feel like I get 100 times the value of cable for a fraction of the price.
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Okay, thank thanks for the feed back guys, I'll definetly get it when it comes to Canada. (supposedly sometime in the fall.)
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 36
Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 546 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

I'm with everyone else.

IMO, the best pay service these days, hands down beats things like Gamefly, satellite radio, etc.

Personally, I have the the 17.99, two unlimited dvds, although I use it less for DVD's these days.

All of the video is streaming, there is very little download time. Picture quality is based on your connection.

The TV show selection is extensive. Aside from having programs from multiple network and cable channels, it also has programs from a couple of premium channels, including Starz and Showtime (watch Dexter right now)
Concerning movies, there are not a lot of new releases, but with Starz Play feature, there are a lot of popular movies. You are going to find a lot of low budget, B-movies on Netflix streaming.

There are no additional fee from the 9.99. I don't recall at the moment if you have to pay tax.

The service is fantastic. Netflix's warehouses are all over the country. Delivery is general within 1-2 business days.

It is easy as pie. You can add movies to your queue with a mouse click. You can add streaming video either online or directly over Wii (360 in my case)
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Donor
912 posts
Dojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 416 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Yep, Netflix is the best out there. I have had it for about a year and not once had a problem with their service. Puts gamefly to shame! Their delivery time is excellent, and they periodically send emails making sure you got your movies on the correct date, and that you are happy and all.

Like Jim said watch Dexter ASAP. One of my favorites and am sure you would love it as well.

The instant streaming is awesome.

I let 2 of my friends use my netflix to watch instant movies only and it works out great for all. I am not sure if it would be possible or if it would be noticeable on the Netflix account(You being in Canada and all) but I would be willing to let you check out my Netflix for you could watch instant movies before it hits your area.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

For Cassidy

Netflix coming to Canada this fall. But will it be any good? - Parenting: Curious Dad

Canada welcomes Netflix with... lower broadband data caps?

After reading the fine print, the major ISP distributor in Canada, Rogers Communications will be using this as an excuse to try to stick it to the consumer.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

I used to rent movies, but I went to stores like Blockbuster to do so. This was before I got a DVD player, and after they stopped selling VHS tapes at most stores, so I had no other choice. Netflix seems like a good idea, I like the ability to watch a movie, and then send it back if it sucks, and remember to buy it later if it is good.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5cents View Post
For Cassidy

Netflix coming to Canada this fall. But will it be any good? - Parenting: Curious Dad

Canada welcomes Netflix with... lower broadband data caps?

After reading the fine print, the major ISP distributor in Canada, Rogers Communications will be using this as an excuse to try to stick it to the consumer.
That really sucks, Roger is who we just canceled our T.V. with because they are arleady sticking it to us. I'm wondering what they will turn the $8.99 into?
kong on Bronies:

Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,084 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 18,787 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U-7reCTqG0&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Netflix for the Wii Review (Wii)[/ame]

Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Donor
2,621 posts
View Stats

Quote:
I'm wondering what they will turn the $8.99 into?
You will have to pay the Netflix subscription cost regardless, Rogers will have nothing to do with that. From what I understand is that Rogers is going to put a cap download capacity. AT&T did the same thing here in the states when they released the IPad and IPhone 4. Lets say you get the 2GB plan, with Netflix, it would probably be pretty easy to go over 2GB. If they charge you 20 bucks a month for the 2 GB and you go over, say 2.2 GB, they will charge you an additional 20 dollars.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
View Stats

Okay so I guess there must be a difference with netflix and internet because 2 gigs is easily downloaded in a day or 2.
Don't tell me the expect us to only watch 1 movie and 3 or 4 episodes of Charles in charge.
kong on Bronies:

Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
View Stats

So nuts to Netflix, I was just exploring my downloaded apps for my Wii and discovered that wiimc has at least 10,000 radio stations, a ton of tv and movies, (one I clicked on was streaming Inception) and even a little bit of pron to boot! So yeah, nuts to Netflix.
kong on Bronies:

Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Glad to hear you like it. I use it all the time, it's really great!

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
View Stats

You misunderstood my post, "nuts to..." means the same as "forget", upon some further exploration, it's even better than i first thought, tons and tons of channels, classic cartoons, bizarre cartoons, even a little hentai to boot! Heheh, seriously though oodles of stuff, nuts to Netflix. I bet I could even get the UFC ppv's on there.

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

Highly recommended for anyone with a Wii. It did freeze a couple times, and some stuff didnt load properly, but heck it's free.
kong on Bronies:

Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
View Stats

Oh well I feel like an idiot XD So WiiMC is really good? I have a Wii so I'll have to see some time.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Isn't that illegal and you have not update your Wii? Netflix is better unless you live in some weirdo country.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
View Stats

Wiimc is a homebrew app, of course it's not illegal. Most of the stuff people stream to it is though. I guarantee you that documentary I just watched is not available on Netflix. (Cult Killer the story of Rick Rodrigez) But I'm not going to argue whether or not it's better than Netflix, because I haven't tried both of them. (hint hint)
kong on Bronies:

Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62

You didn't answer the part about not updating your Wii. I thought I heard that Nintendo was actively fighting homebrew?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
View Stats

My wife updated the thing about a month ago, (I was cheesed at first) but it didn't effect anything.

The key to homebrew is the homebrew channel, each time the wii updates, the homebrew guys do too. So I guess just updated your HBC before you update your Wii. I honestly don't know too much about it. But I don't see why I would ever want to update my Wii, I haven't played any games that required me too as of yet.
kong on Bronies:

Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

I barely use my Wii so I don't know about the update frequency either.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

I imagine the majority or Wii updates are just to block the homebrew channel. Just a guess.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
View Stats

So yeah, I feel like like I might have mislead you all about how awesome Wiimc is the Wii doesn't handle it too well, alot of stuff doesn't seen to load at all, I tried like 10 times to get Toy Story 3 to load to no avail. And it seems there are some mild to severe audio sync issues.
However I have been streaming family guy solidly for awhile now, and there are boat loads of things from all over the world to enjoy. So it's a neat alternative if you got no cable. Just not that reliable. It wasn't made for the Wii just ported to it so it's understandable.
kong on Bronies:

Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Quote:
It wasn't made for the Wii just ported to it so it's understandable.
Ported from what? Does it work on a PC? I could maybe use it for the streaming thing I posted about.