Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 965 USD (39%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported 100% by donations from users like you! We have zero ads and no membership fees.
Please help us stay free and growing.
All donations are used to improve the site. Current projects: adding GBA and N64 games and improving the emulators used to submit scores.
List of Donors Thank you.

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,051 posts
Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,410, Level: 41 Points: 28,410, Level: 41 Points: 28,410, Level: 41
Level up: 12%
Level up: 12%, 1,240 Points needed Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Netflix in Canada is so very limited. Can anyone speculate...?

So, Netflix was launched here in mid 2010 for 8 bucks a month, which as far as I know is about 4 or 5 dollars cheaper than it is in the states. Sounds good right? Well, there is a very good reason for that. Almost anything remotely popular is not available here. It's coming up on being out for a year now and they had promises to expand the selection greatly over the year. I thought this meant like a few movies or show seasons every day. Instead, in the one month I had the trial, they added maybe 20 movies that weren't even that recognizable like some old cat in the hat cartoon comes to mind...

I'm going to give you a long list of shows that I considered fairly popular that are not available. Keep in mind that they won't even give us 1 season or so of any of these:

The Simpsons
South Park
That 70's show
Family Guy
Friends
Seinfeld
King of the Hill
Home Improvement
The Office
Futurama

The list goes on, I mean come on. They say they have licensing issues and stuff but wouldn't it be the more common shows that are easier and more worth it to invest in to? Instead they let all the obscure movies and shows be available for the most part. It's incredibly annoying, and naturally I never renewed my subscription. What reason did I have? The only good movies and shows I found while having it was the Butterfly effect, Dude, Wheres my car, and invader zim. Not saying any of those are incredibly good movies either but that's just about all I got out of having the service.

Some things seem confusing too and I believe DB mentioned this one but Jim Carrey is Canadian, why the lack of Jim Carrey movies? They have them, but only obscure Jim Carrey movies that I never heard of with the exception of 'The Cable Guy'. Same thing with Mike Myers... No Austin powers or anything like that. same thing with Michael J. Fox, no back to the future. Kind of funny considering these are all Canadian actors and their popular movies aren't available. They actually don't have 1 single Mike Myers movie speaking of which.

So bottom line, this is pretty pathetic I think. I've googled around quite a bit and I can't seem to find anything on an expanding selection. All I've found is a million complaints, (like this ironically). The selection is still expanding just as slow, maybe they could raise the price to 10 dollars a month and step it up a lot. I'd pay for that. However, I also heard that the selection was this poor for the americans starting off. Last I heard netflix began in the late 90's, so it will take 15 years before we have a good selection like the states? That's what I get out of that, get real!

I live pretty much 10 minutes from the US border now, I wonder if I can trick the internet somehow...

Last edited by Cam3ron36; 05-01-2011 at 06:46 PM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Donor
2,798 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 35
Points: 18,777, Level: 35 Points: 18,777, Level: 35 Points: 18,777, Level: 35
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 1,173 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Netflix in Canada is so very limited. Can anyone speculate...?

Are you referring to the online streaming feature, or to the sending you DVD feature?

For the online content, they add stuff weekly, usual on Tuesday. About everyone 3 in 10 things they had I would consider to be a popular movie. They do a lot of B-Movie, direct to DVD deals. For TV shows I'm pretty confused, for the list you had mentioned, That 70's Show, Family Guy, King of the HIll, The Office, Futurama, and certain South Park bundles are available. They acutally have many, many more shows available.

I would imagine the Canadian service, or lack of, has a lot to with the distirbutitors. For certain people that you mentioned, MJF for example, the distributors wouldn't release BTTF because it is the most popular franchise and there is always money to be made, but they have released Teen Wolf.

When the online service started here in the states about 3 years ago, it was really crappy at first, then one week about 30 or 40 things all popped on and it has been pretty solid since.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
6,748 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,086, Level: 44 Points: 33,086, Level: 44 Points: 33,086, Level: 44
Level up: 43%
Level up: 43%, 864 Points needed Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

It's 8 bucks here in the states too. Unless you want to order DVDs, then it's 10 bucks.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,230 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 97,838, Level: 62 Points: 97,838, Level: 62 Points: 97,838, Level: 62
Level up: 37%
Level up: 37%, 12,912 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 89%
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Blame Canada. I don't know if that applies to this problem but I think it's a safe bet either way.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
5,273 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 45
Points: 35,006, Level: 45 Points: 35,006, Level: 45 Points: 35,006, Level: 45
Level up: 71%
Level up: 71%, 444 Points needed Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Activity: 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Canadians have T.V?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,230 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 97,838, Level: 62 Points: 97,838, Level: 62 Points: 97,838, Level: 62
Level up: 37%
Level up: 37%, 12,912 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 89%
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Did I say that? I'm just blaming them because it's probably their fault somehow. It's common sense.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,051 posts
Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,410, Level: 41 Points: 28,410, Level: 41 Points: 28,410, Level: 41
Level up: 12%
Level up: 12%, 1,240 Points needed Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote:
Blame Canada. I don't know if that applies to this problem but I think it's a safe bet either way.
Lol, I figured you'd say something like this.

Quote:
For the online content, they add stuff weekly, usual on Tuesday. About everyone 3 in 10 things they had I would consider to be a popular movie. They do a lot of B-Movie, direct to DVD deals. For TV shows I'm pretty confused, for the list you had mentioned, That 70's Show, Family Guy, King of the HIll, The Office, Futurama, and certain South Park bundles are available. They acutally have many, many more shows available.
Yeah, none of that is available here. I actually did get the service back a while ago since I got a prepaid master card anyways. I find it funny, but I found this show I never heard of until now on there with Matthew Perry in it. Funny actor so I watched the show, apparently it's brand new and they aren't even done 1 season yet. I looked it up and they are done 10 episodes currently, 8 of which are already on netflix here. I thought the show is funny, but this is just one thing I've noticed now. They have a lot of very new content on here yet they lack content of the past several decades. I would think that shows that aren't as new now like The Simpsons or That 70's show would be on there, and not some show that is a few months old. I don't know, I've seen some things like Iron Man 2 and stuff that are popular as well, yet no spiderman or something that may be the equivalent back in the early 2000's. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'm noticing a pattern here, could just be me.