Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 820 USD (33%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported 100% by donations from users like you! We have zero ads and no membership fees.
Please help us stay free and growing.
All donations are used to improve the site. Current projects: adding GBA and N64 games and improving the emulators used to submit scores.
List of Donors Thank you.

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Donor
607 posts
fungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 5,037, Level: 20 Points: 5,037, Level: 20 Points: 5,037, Level: 20
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 713 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Megaupload down, FBI Charges Seven With Online Piracy

This is stupid.

FBI Charges Seven With Online Piracy - WSJ.com

So when they are done this witch hunt are they coming after RU next ?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,622 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 96,911, Level: 62 Points: 96,911, Level: 62 Points: 96,911, Level: 62
Level up: 32%
Level up: 32%, 13,839 Points needed Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Re: Megaupload down, FBI Charges Seven With Online Piracy

I thought I read 'Steven' instead of Seven..

Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,916 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 94,101, Level: 62 Points: 94,101, Level: 62 Points: 94,101, Level: 62
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 16,649 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 93%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

Not that I side with the law on this one but why would you say it's stupid? These guys knew the risks involved so it shouldn't really be a shock when they get busted. It's hard to deny what they were doing was illegal, right?

Best gif ever.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,360 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 39
Points: 24,697, Level: 39 Points: 24,697, Level: 39 Points: 24,697, Level: 39
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 2,253 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Fungus:
Quote:
Yes, sites and companies first, then individuals I think.
I told you guys this crackdown/censorchip was on its way a couple of years ago but no one seemed to want to believe it.
Well, here it is, and I'm sorry you guys.

IT'S BEEN FUN, and for the record I want you to know RU has been my favorite Arcade of all time = possibly the greatest ever in existence.
As I played the games I would imagine the rest of you there with me, standing at whichever console you happened to be playing at the time while neon lights shone from the ceiling and the sweet music of 1000 or more games mixed in the air.

Yes I know we're not gone yet but it seems only a matter of time now.
I'm going to miss you guys and indeed the Internet in general {as we know it} as well.
It's been fun, hasn't it?
Watch out - - -> < - - - they bite!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,916 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

At least we're small compared to other sites so we'll stay under the radar for quite some time if a crackdown does happen. I think.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Donor
2,798 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 35
Points: 18,777, Level: 35 Points: 18,777, Level: 35 Points: 18,777, Level: 35
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 1,173 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I don't see the connection between Megaupload and RU.

Megaupload is a peer to peer sharing site similar to something like Napster or Kaaza where people illegally downloading copyrighted material, correct? There are currently laws on the books that make that illegal.

To me, this makes the need for PIPA and SOPA redundant. Piracy outside of the US borders is what those bills are made to stop, yet, it appears there are already laws that allow US law enforcement to take those people down.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,118 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 103,572, Level: 62 Points: 103,572, Level: 62 Points: 103,572, Level: 62
Level up: 65%
Level up: 65%, 7,178 Points needed Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

The super stupid part is

America arrested and extradited non U.S. citizens that live and work outside of America for doing something that is completely legal to do even if you lived in America.

I do think that what Mega Upload was doing should probably be addressed and changed in some way, but kidnapping foreign citizens and censoring the Internet is obviously not the right way to go.

A conspiracy rant:

( Click to show/hide )
Add to that, on last New Year's Eve the US passed a bill that said we do not have to have due process (trials) when holding people indefinitely without charges. That law only applies in specific cases and I do not know if this is one, but since MU did not break any real law that seems pretty scary that there are some situations where you could ever be held without trial in America. That is kidnapping, not arrest.

1 in 100 adult U.S citizens are currently in U.S. prisons. An additional 2 out 100 are currently on parole or probation. That does not include juvenile detention.

In the past 40 years the number of people in U.S. prisons has multiplied by about 10 and is still rising.

The U.S. keeps a larger portion and a larger number of it's people in jail than any other country in the world. The second most in recorded history, just behind the Soviet Union post WW2 era.

Think about that. That is insane. Do we really want to lead the world in locking people up?

Why does the U.S. need to arrest far more people than any other country? Are we really such a bad group of people that over 1% of the U.S. deserve to be locked away at all times? No, I don't think so. So there is another reason.

One reason, jails are profitable, we, the people, are taxed and our money goes to private companies that run the jails. The private companies lobby more prisoners. Prisoners = $.

You can also take that a step farther and say it also is the beginning of a police state. A first step of a police state is you need to be able to maintain a large portion of the population in prison at all times and we are far superior at that than Bush's Axis of Evil, North Korea, Iran, and Iraq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungusman View Post
Doubtful, megaupload is much larger than we are. According to the article, MU had $175Millon in profits. RU barely covers it's server costs. They want to make examples, we are not a very good one.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Quote:
It's hard to deny what they were doing was illegal, right?
Wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
These guys knew the risks involved so it shouldn't really be a shock when they get busted.
Wrong. They broke no law, they don't live or work in America. Why would they think they were at risk of being arrested and extradited to America for not breaking a law.

The current law that SOPA is trying to replace is the
Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

That is an American law, MU is not American yet they followed that law anyway because most countries have been pressured by America to enforce it.

It is possible that they did not follow all the steps in DMCA but I am pretty sure they did.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
1,709 posts
Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 31
Points: 15,048, Level: 31 Points: 15,048, Level: 31 Points: 15,048, Level: 31
Level up: 60%
Level up: 60%, 402 Points needed Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Besides, if RU was went after, doesn't RU have permission from Nintendo and various other companies to stay open? At least that's what I heard.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,118 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 103,572, Level: 62 Points: 103,572, Level: 62 Points: 103,572, Level: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5cents View Post
Megaupload is a peer to peer sharing site similar to something like Napster or Kaaza
Technically, no, torrents and Piratebay are P2P like Napster.

Megaupload uses a central server, not 2 peers. From a legal and technical stand point that is very different. From a user stand point it is about the same.

Quote:
where people illegally downloading copyrighted material, correct?
That is not it's main use, it is a side effect. The same as Youtube's intention is not to distribute Family Guy clips, but it does none the less.

Quote:
There are currently laws on the books that make that illegal.
Nope. Youtube is a better comparison than Napster.

Quote:
To me, this makes the need for PIPA and SOPA redundant. Piracy outside of the US borders is what those bills are made to stop, yet, it appears there are already laws that allow US law enforcement to take those people down.
DMCA is the current law. There are loopholes that SOPA hopes to plug, but it will suffer from most of the same loopholes.

The loopholes are
1. If a user, not the owner of the site makes the upload then the owner is not legally responsible unless the owner fails to remove the content shortly after being properly notified.
2. The owner can put ads or charge for the content if they are reasonably certain it is not copyright infringement.
3. Links are fair game. This is the torrent loophole.
4. Some countries can not be bullied by America to enforce American laws. This is the Piratebay loophole.

DMCA is the main law that applies in this case. If MU did break one of the rules of the DMCA it was probably failing to meet the legal definition of the word "reasonable" in #2.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlmaster12344 View Post
Besides, if RU was went after, doesn't RU have permission from Nintendo and various other companies to stay open? At least that's what I heard.
The law works kind of in the reverse of that, they need to revoke permission. They have thus far chosen not to. They can change their mind. If they changed their mind it would only become a crime if we then refused to respect their wishes.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Donor
607 posts
fungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the darkfungusman glows in the dark
View Stats

Megaupload is an AWESOME cloud hosting service. My newest album is (was) on there.

Pirates can turn your computer into a file server without you even knowing. Not that megaupload didn't have some sort of "implied" image of piracy to it, but, in the future what happens when people star hosting AE2 encrypted .rar files on other cloud sources ?
You know you can do this with GMAIL right ? Your (most likely EASILY hackable if you were careless enough to pirate windows or anything else [pirated materials major purpose is to distribute virus/trojans so people can add you to their botnet]) computer can host warez. The point is shutting down services won't stop the problem at all.

Taking down megaupload is throwing the baby out with the bath water and this will set the precedent to go further down the chain to the point where you get sued because you wiped your butt in a way that was patented by mistake.

Last edited by fungusman; 01-19-2012 at 05:53 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,916 posts
View Stats

@Kong- About your jail rant, if they legalized weed we'd have a lot less people in jail. It's sickening that people can be locked up with hardcore criminals and have their life ruined for using/selling a plant that grows naturally. It's also sickening that we're being punished for choosing what to put in our own bodies. Throw people in jail for booze or cigarettes and see how fast the laws change.

Those guys knew dealing in copyrighted material is considered illegal, even if it's not in their country. I wasn't saying they should've expected the US to come after them, that's a pretty strange and scary turn of events.

They did know the risks but apparently the risk that got them was something most people didn't see coming, rightfully so.

Quote:
Taking down megaupload is throwing the baby out with the bath water
Agreed. It's like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,118 posts
View Stats

Quote:
The point is shutting down services won't stop the problem at all.
This is very true. It is technically impossible to stop piracy with this method. If you shut down sites like piratebay, megaupload, youtube etc. then pirates will just create something more advanced. It is impossible for police to compete with pirates when the pirates get to choose the battlefield.

Quote:
It's also sickening that we're being punished for choosing what to put in our own bodies.
I can't understand how you can't claim drugs are protected under freedom of religion. Prove that my religion, my personal relationship with god, does not involve me making my decisions for my body for myself. I believe in that as much as anyone else believes that drinking blessed wine is the same as drinking the blood of Jesus.

Quote:
Those guys knew dealing in copyrighted material is considered illegal
Do you know how megauplaod works? It is the exact same thing as youtube except that they have user uploaded files instead of user uploaded videos. Megaupload provided a service, the service has good intentions. Some users use the service for copy right infringement. When MU is made aware of that, they delete the files and ban the user.

The only other choice MU had was to 1. personally confirm that every file was public domain, this would be impossible. 2. Not exist at all.

You either give individuals the ability to upload files to the internet and accept that occasionally there will be some bad apples or you say no one anywhere in the world can do it. So far there has not been a proposed third option.

Something that is often forgotten in this debate, parts of the world do not see intellectual property as real. Forcing your culture on others is not nice.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,916 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Do you know how megauplaod works? It is the exact same thing as youtube except that they have user uploaded files instead of user uploaded videos. Megaupload provided a service, the service has good intentions. Some users use the service for copy right infringement. When MU is made aware of that, they delete the files and ban the user.
Nah I'm not too familiar with it since I never use anything like it. I just think it's pretty obvious to everyone that hosting potentially copyrighted material, intentionally or not, comes with risks. That's why so many youtube videos are garbage, they remove the sound for copyright infringement. I can't even listen to certain Bob Dylan songs on there, it's ridiculous.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,028 posts
Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,259, Level: 41 Points: 28,259, Level: 41 Points: 28,259, Level: 41
Level up: 1%
Level up: 1%, 1,391 Points needed Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

sorry to be "that guy that needs this explained", but I didn't really hear about this until recently, and I don't know many details. Can someone sum it up to me what exactly is at risk? Do I have to take sown my avatars and signatures because they may be from somewhere else? Sum it up for me please.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
34 posts
520outlaw has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 3
Points: 222, Level: 3 Points: 222, Level: 3 Points: 222, Level: 3
Level up: 22%
Level up: 22%, 78 Points needed Level up: 22% Level up: 22%

you know whats funny is me and my bro were talking about sopa last night and we both said that this was going to happen.... anonymous knows exactly what they are doing so let our GREAT, SMART(sarcasm) Us gov piss off these ppl who have time after time takin down gov sites.. and meanwhile piss off major powerhouse companys around the world. If this bill actually goes thru we will piss off ALOT of ppl around the world. Including Anonymous who will start shutting down Official us gov websites which opens a whole new line of problems ...ex shutting down army and dept of def sites leaving the us open to attack from other countrys. I dont think the Us gov knows who they are f@@@ing with.
I read something a while back that apple has more money sitting than the US does, so lets piss them off as well. Doin this is goin to dip in the pockets of alot of ppl around the world, which is goin to piss them off Badly!! And we all have seen time after time the us gov is not smart AT ALL EVER. we are a nation of retards..this just proves it.. i dont think they know the door they are opening and they are not gonna be able to close ...closing down things like google and such is goin to end life as we know it...we might as well go back to land lines and snail mail because this is pretty much gonna make computers useless as well as all your Android (google) cell phone and blackberry ext that run with the net... so we might as well get back to doing things the old fashioned way because if this happens its gonna be coming soon after... the ppl who are pirating are gonna keep doin it they will just find better ways to do it... to stop this they are going to have to shut the internet down COMPLETLY in the usa...There goes the constitution... We will create a totally new underground black market by doin this and its probably gonna be dangerous ... i think they need to stop while they are ahead and not open this door because opening this door is gonna be like cutting of your nose to spite your face...its definatly gonna get ugly quick if this happens....thats what i think
I got ice in my veins, blood in my eyes
Hate in my heart, love in my mind
I seen nights full of pain, days of the same
You keep the sunshine, save me the rain
I search but never find, hurt but never cry
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
5,171 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,049, Level: 44 Points: 33,049, Level: 44 Points: 33,049, Level: 44
Level up: 40%
Level up: 40%, 901 Points needed Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ron36 View Post
sorry to be "that guy that needs this explained", but I didn't really hear about this until recently, and I don't know many details. Can someone sum it up to me what exactly is at risk? Do I have to take sown my avatars and signatures because they may be from somewhere else? Sum it up for me please.

Thanks
I assume you want the article explained. "Megaupload", a file hosting site (based in some area not under U.S.A jurisdiction) at which some individuals saw fit to host pirated software, has been shut down by the C.I.A. which deemed it and it's core members to be advocates of piracy. By the look of it, they may be shipped into the United States to be put into a U.S. prison.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Donor
607 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Nah I'm not too familiar with it since I never use anything like it. I just think it's pretty obvious to everyone that hosting potentially copyrighted material, intentionally or not, comes with risks. That's why so many youtube videos are garbage, they remove the sound for copyright infringement. I can't even listen to certain Bob Dylan songs on there, it's ridiculous.
It's a fast/awesome cloud server. Kind of like Amazon or Dropbox. Basically they have a ton of servers/harddrives and they give you space for free or pay to host files there.

The thing is, hypothetically, I could encrypt a movie into a file you wouldn't even be able to tell what it is, with a password unbreakable (I know what your thinking and no, there are encryption algorithms that can't be cracked yet), split the file up into separate archives, spread them around on different servers (maybe I could use gmail, an infected computer, or even torrent) create a database/tracker and spread it that way. Make some user friendly site to piece all this crap together for easier access, others follow, and then what ? Shut down gmail ? Your computer that you accidentally installed malware on it that's being exploited ?

It's freaking ridiculous. Piracy has been around for years, and the only people it hurt are the ones who are only in it for Monopolistic dominance. Trying to protect content from being exchanged with other people is like trying to make water not wet.

It's the philosophies and mind sets that need get together and communicate and come to a resolution for something that works for everyone. But for now it looks like it's people who know nothing about technology and how to leverage it to continue making money vs people who know how to make money regardless of "piracy".

It gets me angry sometimes man it really does.

Last edited by fungusman; 01-19-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,916 posts
View Stats

Quote:
I know what your thinking and no, there are encryption algorithms that can't be cracked yet
Ah but you didn't know what I was thinking, I know there's stuff that remains uncracked. They aren't impossible, nothing is, but they're so damn encrypted it will take lifetimes at the current rate, right?

@520Outlaw- I'm surprised to see you, welcome back. I think you don't give the government enough credit. Sure the politicians are as dumb as rocks but our intelligence agencies and other covert groups are not. Some very smart people work in the dark recesses of our country. It's not safe to assume they're gonna be unaware of all the possibilities.

Think of it this way. For every smart hacker there's at least one person who goes the other route and gets paid big money for their talent from these groups.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
10,373 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 57
Points: 54,749, Level: 57 Points: 54,749, Level: 57 Points: 54,749, Level: 57
Level up: 16%
Level up: 16%, 1,601 Points needed Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 46%
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Quote:
For every smart hacker there's at least one person who goes the other route and gets paid big money for their talent from these groups.
I'd say it's probably closer to around 10,000 to 1.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,916 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

Either way it doesn't matter, the point is it's foolish to assume the major world governments are stupid. They have smart people working around the clock.

Comments

HAHAHA XD good one dude bro XD +1 for the laugh
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,118 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

I just read
Megaupload Megaupload

Here are some of the listed reasons for the indictment.
Quote:
Persons indicted have "instructed individual users how to locate links to infringing content on the Mega Sites ... [and] ... have also shared with each other comments from Mega Site users demonstrating that they have used or are attempting to use the Mega Sites to get infringing copies of copyrighted content."

Persons indicted, unlike the public, are not reliant upon links to stored files, but can search the internal database directly. It is claimed they have "searched the internal database for their associates and themselves so that they may directly access copyright-infringing content".

A comprehensive takedown method is in use to identify child pornography, but not deployed to remove infringing content.

Infringing users did not have their accounts terminated, and the defendants "made no significant effort to identify users who were using the Mega Sites or services to infringe copyrights, to prevent the uploading of infringing copies of copyrighted materials, or to identify infringing copies of copyrighted works"

Defendants explicitly discussed evasion and infringement issues
According to the DMCA those actions are illegal. But it still sounds messed up to arrest someone in New Zealand for doing business in Hong Kong for breaking a U.S. law and ship them to the U.S. to face trial and prison and fines.

Imagine if an American cartoonist drew picture of Muhammad while working for a Canadian newspaper and Iran asked the Canada to arrest the cartoonist and ship him to Iran for trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ron36 View Post
Sum it up for me please.
If you mean this thread, MegaUpload.com was shut down by the FBI and the owners are being shipped to America for trial.

MegaUpload is like Youtube except for files instead of videos.

If you mean SOPA, it is a proposed bill that has not been voted on yet.

Example: If it was a law, and if you made a blog, and you posted a link to a news story on ABC and a year later someone posted a comment on ABC and that comment included a photo of a dog and someone says they own that photo (they can lie or be wrong) then you will be charged with a felony. Your site will be shut down and you will be banned from using Visa, Master Card, Pay Pal, Google, GoDaddy or any other company that is based in America. You will face huge legal expenses even if you are eventually found innocent and if you depend on your website for your livelihood then you will be unemployed until you do prove yourself innocent. The idea of innocent until proven guilty is removed by this law.

The end result, the rest of the world will say screw America, let's make an America-less internet.

1. I am pretty sure there is no way SOPA will become a law, it is just two stupid.
2. If it did then it would be like prohibition. Everything will be obviously horrible and the law will be repealed.
3. If it passes they will not enforce the law uniformly. They will go after sites like The Pirate Bay first, then after they finish with everyone like that move on to sites like Youtube. They will very rarely go after small sites and individuals because they will be too busy with the big ones.
4. Google links to more torrents than The Pirate Bay. But The Pirate Bay will be the first target of this law. If this was law Google would probably never have to face up to it simply because the outrage of shutting them down would be too huge. Laws should not work that way, justice should be blind. It is like saying O.J. Simpson can kill people because he used to be pretty good at football.

@Cam, short answer, it sucks but don't stress about it. If you can let a politician know you oppose it, then do that. But no need to worry about things like your avatar. One of the problems about the law is it says if your avatar is copyrighted, I am responsible, not you.

Quote:
there are encryption algorithms that can't be cracked yet
Lockheed Martin has a computer that can theoretically crack any code. They are the only company that has the ability. Scary! I'ld imagine they have read Wikileaks digital thermonuclear bomb. And didn't say anything about it. Scarier!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520outlaw View Post
go back to land lines
The phone line in front of my house was knocked down in a storm 10 days ago. It is still down. I don't think anyone cared enough to complain to the phone company and let them know that our block has no land line.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote:
I know there's stuff that remains uncracked. They aren't impossible, nothing is, but they're so damn encrypted it will take lifetimes at the current rate, right?
Assuming you are not going to wait multiple lifetimes, it is impossible to crack strong encryption without a quantum computer. So far, there is only one quantum computer in the world. It is owned by Lockheed Martin. The extreme most likely reason that they bought it was to crack encryptions for military purposes. I would guess they will rent the service out to both sides of a conflict.

Quote:
For every smart hacker there's at least one person who goes the other route and gets paid big money for their talent from these groups.
It is not about who is smarter. The game is rigged, unfair. You can not prevent piracy, no matter how smart you are.

I imagine the American government is smarter than the majority of drug dealers and moonshiners. It didn't make a difference, they still lost the drug war and alcohol prohibition. It just isn't something you can stop.

Comments

Thanks for the great explanation Kong
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Poster
10,373 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 57
Points: 54,749, Level: 57 Points: 54,749, Level: 57 Points: 54,749, Level: 57
Level up: 16%
Level up: 16%, 1,601 Points needed Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 46%
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Well they have a few more to go:
FileSonic, DepositFiles, FileServe, TurboBit, ExtaBit, FilePost, BitShare, Ziddu, UploadStation, FileJungle, MediaFire, PutLocker, FileFactory, RapidShare, FreakShare, ZShare, HotFile, Crocko, Wupload, Uploading, MegaShare, Badongo, iFileIt, EnterUpload, GameFront, UploadedTo, FileApe, Loadto, TwoShared, FileKeen, JumboFiles ect. ect.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,118 posts
View Stats

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that MegaUpload sued Universal Music Group last month. Megaupload - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 16,746, Level: 33 Points: 16,746, Level: 33 Points: 16,746, Level: 33
Level up: 18%, 904 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Oh no, they shut down Megaupload, what ever will pirates do? It's not like there are other services to do the same thing or anything like that.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power; its burning grip tells me to defeat you! SHINING FINGER!"
I can be found on my blog more often than not (occasionally NSFW)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,032 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 40
Points: 27,290, Level: 40 Points: 27,290, Level: 40 Points: 27,290, Level: 40
Level up: 27%
Level up: 27%, 960 Points needed Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Activity: 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Time to switch to MediaFire.