Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Man who tried self-amputation

Man who tried self-amputation thought of MacGyver

HARTFORD, Conn. — Jonathan Metz had his left arm stuck in his furnace boiler for about 12 hours when he asked himself “what would MacGyver do?” and concluded that amputating the limb was his only chance for survival.
The 31-year-old West Hartford man, who was released from the hospital Monday, met with reporters Tuesday for the first time since getting his arm stuck in his furnace for two days and nearly cutting it off.

Man who tried self-amputation thought of MacGyver | thought, amputation, tried - Now - TheMonitor.com

I really wonder if I would be able to amputate my arm if something like this were to ever happen to me. What about you all? Would any of you be willing?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
757 posts
Timber Wolf is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 18
Points: 4,113, Level: 18 Points: 4,113, Level: 18 Points: 4,113, Level: 18
Level up: 66%
Level up: 66%, 137 Points needed Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via Yahoo to Timber Wolf

Re: Man who tried self-amputation

Depends on the situation, if it really called for it, losing a limb over losing my life, I'm pretty sure I would say bye-bye to the arm first.
"...The people living there know thirst, hunger, disease, they suffer all these things and in the end, they grow old and die. But for one brief moment they shine as bright as the sun, because they know these hardships, they also know the meaning of happiness..."
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Yeah heard about it, the way he talked about it was like nothing..

Old 06-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

If I had the choice of my life or my arm, I'd get rid of my arm.
But I agree with Tails, It was strange how he talked like it was nothing.

Remove Pootis
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Yeah when it's your arm or your life it's an easy choice to make. But you still have to do the job of actually cutting off your own flesh and bone. That's got to be some nasty midieval pain you're about to inflict on yourself. I honestly don't know if I could go thru with that unless I'm actually in a life or death situation.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 36
Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 546 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

A man who completed self-amputation. In worse conditions.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston]Aron Ralston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Old 06-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

Ouch, at least he's alright.

Remove Pootis
Old 06-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Human survival instinct is very strong, and here's another story to prove it:
A man was using a chainsaw, and it kicked - back.
{for those of you who have never used one, when cutting, you should try to avoid using the tip of the 'blade' or the motion of the chain rotating around it could force the blade towards you quickly - I had this happen to me once, and if I weren't wearing special protective chainsaw pants, I probably would have cut myself on the leg}

The blade came up, it struck him on the neck and dug in fast, nearly decapitating him.
Instantly he dropped the chainsaw, and while holding his head on with his hands walked towards help.

This is an illustration of what a person is capable of in life - threatening situations, and also of the strength of the individual's survival instinct.
I believe that people who find themselves in these situations go into 'survival auto - pilot' mode where normal modes of thought don't come into play at all, and that's what gets them through.
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

I would definitely put my life before my arm.
You just have to know how to do it somewhat efficiently and cleanly.
I wouldn't attempt it without whiskey or some other hard alcohol.
It works as a pain-killer and it would clean the blade, and later the wound, Civil War style basically.

The guy talks about it like it was no big deal, that is just odd.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

1. MacGyver wouldn't get his arm stuck in a furnace.
2. MacGyver wouldn't cut his arm off, he would find a way out.
3. MacGyver is a hero on TV. Things always work out for him.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Everyone says they'd be able to do this but I seriously doubt that's true if you were faced with the real situation. Obviously we all would rather lose an arm than die but actually cutting through your own body with no pain killers would be extremely hard. This guy couldn't do it and he had no reason to expect a rescue really. From the sound of the article he gave up and only because a friend got worried did he live.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

@DB.

That is why I think Ralston's story is way better. We was trapped in a canyon for 5 days, where no one knew where he was, exposed to the elements. He started by using leverage to break the two bones in his forearm. Then sliced through the tissue with a dull leatherman. Once the amputation was complete, he still had to walk out of the canyon, including a 60 ft. rappel and a walk of several miles before he was found by a family that gave him water...the first he had in days, he had already resorted to drinking his own urine.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60
Level up: 86%, 1,469 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Everyone says they'd be able to do this but I seriously doubt that's true if you were faced with the real situation.
I think you got this backwards, you'd be surprised what you can when you have your back up against the wall, all the creatures of the world have a will to survive.
I know a dog who got his leg caught in a bear trap out in the woods, the dog chewed his own frigging leg off and went home. He was a huge malamute stud dog for breeding dog sled dogs.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 06-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62

I understand that Steven but not everyone will have the willpower to slice into their own flesh and nerves, saw through bone or brake it, without painkillers of any kind. The article shows that even with determination and desperation the pain can be too much to bear. I bet the majority of people would be unable to do it or finish it. Obviously there's no data either way but I think it's a safe bet.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Quote:
Obviously there's no data either way
We have some data. There are two examples in this thread alone. 1 guy got half of the way through his bicep. 1 guy got all the way through his forearm.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

I like the way Idle hands did it with a guillotine.

Then of course used an iron to stop the blood.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

@Kong- Fine, we have no conclusive data.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Donor
2,621 posts
View Stats

Another example of successful self-amputation

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Dead_2]Evil Dead II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Well I'm going to agree with DB and say that there is a small percentage of us here that would actually be able to fully self-amputate a limb if they found themselves in a life or death situation. I probably wouldn't be able to go thru that due to my pain tolerance not being that high.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
278 posts
Neutral is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 6
Points: 624, Level: 6 Points: 624, Level: 6 Points: 624, Level: 6
Level up: 24%
Level up: 24%, 76 Points needed Level up: 24% Level up: 24%

Theres this mountain climber a couple of years back who got stuck under a rock with his arm.

He had to work his way throu Gore-Tex.

( Click to show/hide )

Come springtime there was food, But the widows all refused. And the poor man's black dogs came
To escort those who remained.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60
Level up: 86%, 1,469 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

• In 2007, 66-year-old Al Hill amputated his leg below the knee using his pocketknife after the leg got stuck beneath a fallen tree he was cutting in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California"]California[/ame].[6]
  • In 2003, 27-year-old [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston"]Aron Ralston[/ame] amputated his [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forearm"]forearm[/ame] using his [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocketknife"]pocketknife[/ame] and breaking and tearing the two [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone"]bones[/ame], after the arm got stuck under a boulder when hiking in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah"]Utah[/ame].[7]
  • Also in 2003, an Australian coal miner amputated his own arm with a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_knife"]Stanley knife[/ame] after it became trapped when the front-end loader he was driving overturned three kilometers underground.[8]
  • In the 1990s, a crab fisherman got his arm caught in the winch during a storm and had to amputate it at the shoulder, as reported in The New Englander.
Here are some more cases, I'm telling you are capable of anything when your back is against the wall. Death is a scarier thing than loosing an arm, and your animal instinct to survive will be all you would need to accomplish the self amputation.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
  • ( Click to show/hide )
    • In 2007, 66-year-old Al Hill amputated his leg below the knee using his pocketknife after the leg got stuck beneath a fallen tree he was cutting in California.[6]
    • In 2003, 27-year-old Aron Ralston amputated his forearm using his pocketknife and breaking and tearing the two bones, after the arm got stuck under a boulder when hiking in Utah.[7]
    • Also in 2003, an Australian coal miner amputated his own arm with a Stanley knife after it became trapped when the front-end loader he was driving overturned three kilometers underground.[8]
    • In the 1990s, a crab fisherman got his arm caught in the winch during a storm and had to amputate it at the shoulder, as reported in The New Englander.
I'm telling you are capable of anything when your back is against the wall. Death is a scarier thing than loosing an arm, and your animal instinct to survive will be all you would need to accomplish the self amputation.

True, but what about those cases where people get a limb stuck and are found dead without any signs of amputation being attempted. I doubt those stories aren't as popular to print like the self amputation survivor stories. In the end, I think this is something I'd rather not find out about if I really could or could not amputate any part of my body.