Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 670 USD (27%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported 100% by donations from users like you! We have zero ads and no membership fees.
Please help us stay free and growing.
All donations are used to improve the site. Current projects: adding GBA and N64 games and improving the emulators used to submit scores.
List of Donors Thank you.

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
10,174 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 56
Points: 52,642, Level: 56 Points: 52,642, Level: 56 Points: 52,642, Level: 56
Level up: 5%
Level up: 5%, 1,808 Points needed Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Magic the Gathering anf OKcupid

I just read this and I personally think it's a disgusting article, what do you guys think?
My Brief OkCupid Affair With a World Champion Magic: The Gathering Player
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 16,746, Level: 33 Points: 16,746, Level: 33 Points: 16,746, Level: 33
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 904 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Re: Magic the Gathering anf OKcupid

What the hell did I just read? I feel like my IQ dropped fifteen points just to fathom the level of shallowness and stupidity of the person who wrote that article.
Also, the guy is a WORLD CHAMPION, he's the BEST IN THE WORLD at something, isn't that impressive? Just because he's good at a card game and not football doesn't make it any less impressive.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power; its burning grip tells me to defeat you! SHINING FINGER!"
I can be found on my blog more often than not (occasionally NSFW)
Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,562 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 95,325, Level: 62 Points: 95,325, Level: 62 Points: 95,325, Level: 62
Level up: 24%
Level up: 24%, 15,425 Points needed Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask View Post
What the hell did I just read? I feel like my IQ dropped fifteen points just to fathom the level of shallowness and stupidity of the person who wrote that article.
Also, the guy is a WORLD CHAMPION, he's the BEST IN THE WORLD at something, isn't that impressive? Just because he's good at a card game and not football doesn't make it any less impressive.
Sums up my feelings. It's whose inside.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Yup.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,562 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Even then whose inside could be fake :|
Old 08-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
View Stats

Yeah, I know.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,560 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 90,550, Level: 61 Points: 90,550, Level: 61 Points: 90,550, Level: 61
Level up: 50%
Level up: 50%, 20,200 Points needed Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

You guys are being a little unfair to the girl in this scenario. Being a pro Magic player is not appealing to most women(and men I'd imagine). They would have nothing in common if she has no interest in anything like that. But to be blunt, it's pretty damn dorky. It's like if you did collect them all in Pokemon you shouldn't tell your date.

Best gif ever.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,562 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
You guys are being a little unfair to the girl in this scenario. Being a pro Magic player is not appealing to most women(and men I'd imagine). They would have nothing in common if she has no interest in anything like that. But to be blunt, it's pretty damn dorky. It's like if you did collect them all in Pokemon you shouldn't tell your date.
Because there will be more in a year or so?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,560 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

No because Pokemon is equally as dorky as Magic.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,562 posts
View Stats

What if she likes it and is afraid to say anything? Point is I think things should be out on the table firstly instead of hiding it.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,560 posts
View Stats

Well she didn't like it, not even secretly. He told her, she asked about it, found out she was not interested in his life at all and moved on. I don't really see the issue. The only mean part is the article which he's bound to hear about and be embarrassed by.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,562 posts
View Stats

Yeah, that's what comes from dating I guess. Just go around saying you like something and it actually be a lie.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,560 posts
View Stats

I don't know how you got that from what I said. He was honest and so was she. If you pretend to like stuff it's doomed to fail.

Btw that magic guy sealed his fate by bringing her to a one man show about a serial killers life, on the first date. Unless you know someone is really into that stuff it's not a smart move AT ALL.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
171 posts
thetedster has a faint yellow circle forming above their headthetedster has a faint yellow circle forming above their headthetedster has a faint yellow circle forming above their headthetedster has a faint yellow circle forming above their headthetedster has a faint yellow circle forming above their headthetedster has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 4,708, Level: 20 Points: 4,708, Level: 20 Points: 4,708, Level: 20
Level up: 6%
Level up: 6%, 1,042 Points needed Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to thetedster

I've been on the Pro Tour, I know Pro Tour Magic Players, the girl is a douchebag, and there are already rebuttal articles against what she said.

I have been dating for 3 years a girl who works for the music industry, someone who isnt into Magic the gathering whatsoever, pretty cute. The Equivelency of How often you play magic doesn't determine how often you get a date.

Ladies a douchebag

End of Story.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,562 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I don't know how you got that from what I said. He was honest and so was she. If you pretend to like stuff it's doomed to fail.
She was honest but posted it on the internet. That's the issue.

Quote:
Btw that magic guy sealed his fate by bringing her to a one man show about a serial killers life, on the first date. Unless you know someone is really into that stuff it's not a smart move AT ALL.
Oh I agree. Also very creepy.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,560 posts
View Stats

@thetedster- I'm not trying to say people are doomed if they play something like Magic but if we're being honest about it we have to admit it's not considered cool by the majority of people. I think she was being pretty typical(besides posting it online to shame him). But really I think what killed any chance was that one man serial killer show. Magic was just the icing on the cake.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,297 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 74,910, Level: 61 Points: 74,910, Level: 61 Points: 74,910, Level: 61
Level up: 23%
Level up: 23%, 15,640 Points needed Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Girl is a douchebag. He's better off without her.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Donor
885 posts
Smittycal is kissing everybody's bum just rightSmittycal is kissing everybody's bum just rightSmittycal is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,364, Level: 23 Points: 7,364, Level: 23 Points: 7,364, Level: 23
Level up: 15%
Level up: 15%, 686 Points needed Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

As an avid Magic player I obviously dont see anything wrong with the guy playing Magic. As a matter of fact I know a lot of professional Magic players that are not only successful outside of the game but also have wives, kids, and families that support there hobby.

The other thing that cracks me up is that she dosent even mention what kind of person he is! Is he a stereotypical "nerd" or does he actually have something to contribute. Her prejudice against gamers shines through in her "rant" about finding out hes a Magic player..and not just a player...but one of the best to play ever!

The reason he even has his own card is because he has one of the best win/loss pro streaks ever and that was also one of the prizes for the winner of the Pro Tour that year.

I hate the fact that Magic gets a bad wrap sometimes just because theres a lot of fantasy elements in the game. Theres a lot of strategy involed in the game play/ deck construction and the competitive nature of the game is comparable to any professional sport.

Ok Im gonna get off my soap box lol...Oh and I guess the real question is...why are either of them on a dating website? I guess I would be judging by saying she cant get a real date in real life!

Ok Im really done now lol
http://www.scuffletown.org/wp-content/image/neverends1.gif
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,055 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 101,202, Level: 62 Points: 101,202, Level: 62 Points: 101,202, Level: 62
Level up: 53%
Level up: 53%, 9,548 Points needed Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Horribly disgusting. I wonder what her reaction would be if he was a chess grand master or a poker champion or world heavy weight champion.

He gets paid to play a game because he is smart. How can you have a problem with that.

I could understand if she thought, we don't have much in common, I should end this. But to write an article about it is just stupid.

My GF knows almost nothing about computers and games. It's never caused any problems. Making sure you have all the same common interests isn't good for a relationship.

I bet the main reason she did this is she needed a story. It's her job. And this one got a lot of hits. Narrow minded bigotry sells.

Last edited by Kong; 08-30-2011 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,297 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 74,910, Level: 61 Points: 74,910, Level: 61 Points: 74,910, Level: 61
Level up: 23%
Level up: 23%, 15,640 Points needed Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Should have ended it with:

tl;dr Hey guys, look at who I'm too good for!

Anyone without a hobby is most likely vapid and boring. They lack any passion outside of work/family.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,562 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Horribly disgusting. I wonder what her reaction would be if he was a world heavy weight champion.
As long as he's not whiney Christian who gets it via legal team.

Quote:
Making sure you have all the same common interests isn't good for a relationship.
It gets boring o.o

Comments

Im a Peep!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,560 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Horribly disgusting. I wonder what her reaction would be if he was a chess grand master or a poker champion or world heavy weight champion.
I'm willing to bet Chess wouldn't be too great either. It would show you're smart but it's also associated with being ultra dorky. Poker and Pro Wrestling have tons of adoring fans so chances are it would be fine.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Poster
32 posts
Orphan is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 1
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Level up: 6%
Level up: 6%, 71 Points needed Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Whats Magic??

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Ok Ok...I'm only joking. I'm not a fan. I don't blame the women for the way she felt about the date.That being said...I feel dumber after reading that garbage.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Just found this article regarding your post...interesting.

The Science of Gawker's Nerd Baiting - Forbes
Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Regular Poster
10,174 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 56
Points: 52,642, Level: 56 Points: 52,642, Level: 56 Points: 52,642, Level: 56
Level up: 5%
Level up: 5%, 1,808 Points needed Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

I have no problems if the girl can't get along with someone that nerdy, my problem is the fact she treated his pastime as something equvilant to having aids. Suggesting that it's something that he would tell anyone immediatly if he had any concideration.
I think we can blame the media for her douchbagness, she no doubt got the attitude from Britany Spears, Paris Hilton, the Jersy Shore crew ect. ect. while trying to aspire to be like them. If she's over the age of 24-25 she's got serious issues.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
the strongest
5,995 posts
View Stats

My problem with her was not so much the problem with his hobby but, the fact that she thinks that is the only thing that defines him at all, and he is nothing beyond it.
Basically, she found out he had a nerdy hobby, and she gave up.