Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 670 USD (27%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported 100% by donations from users like you! We have zero ads and no membership fees.
Please help us stay free and growing.
All donations are used to improve the site. Current projects: adding GBA and N64 games and improving the emulators used to submit scores.
List of Donors Thank you.

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Donor
1,143 posts
alohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 5,538, Level: 20 Points: 5,538, Level: 20 Points: 5,538, Level: 20
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 212 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Kobayashi Maru

I was wondering about this for quite some time. I was playing Star Trek Starfleet Academy and the last part of this game is the Kobayashi Maru test. In this test you are the captain of a federation starship at the border of Klingon space and you are receiving a distress signal from a ship in trouble in Klingon space and you need to decide if you are going to rush to that ship recuse which means violating the Klingon neutral zone and putting the alliance between us and them in jeopardy as well as the people on you ship lives as well or to not rush to the rescue their upon having your crew look on you as a coward and heartless and having to live with the fact that all those people on that ship in distress crews death is your fault but the alliance between us and them stay intact.I chose to rush to the rescue and well I guess you can guess what the outcome was so I was wondering what you all would do.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,287 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 22,932, Level: 38 Points: 22,932, Level: 38 Points: 22,932, Level: 38
Level up: 26%
Level up: 26%, 1,718 Points needed Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Re: Kobayashi Maru

Hi AX, to be honest I know nothing of this game and may have played it only once {therefore I cannot assist you, sorry} but it seems to me that the whole point of the Kobayashi Maru incident is to test the character of the commanding officer facing it, to see how they would react to the no - win scenario.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
My shields can't repel BS of this magnitude!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,568 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 90,601, Level: 62 Points: 90,601, Level: 62 Points: 90,601, Level: 62
Level up: 1%
Level up: 1%, 20,149 Points needed Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

@JG- I think you're taking him too literally. When I read this I thought he meant it as a hypothetical question, not game advice.

Quote:
so I was wondering what you all would do.
I would also cross the border and try to assist the ship. Why would the Klingons wanna risk war over a selfless act like that?

Btw you had a pretty big run on sentence in there. Next time toss in some periods to make it easier to read.

Best gif ever.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
5,034 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 42
Points: 30,887, Level: 42 Points: 30,887, Level: 42 Points: 30,887, Level: 42
Level up: 89%
Level up: 89%, 163 Points needed Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

I'm pretty sure that rushing in gives the Klingons reason to be hostile. I would contact any Klingons I could before trying to rush in, at the very least you will have Klingon witnesses and probably won't hurt as much trust.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,568 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

But this is Star Trek. If everything was that easy the episodes would be like five minutes long.
"Yo Picard we got a distress signal"
"Any Klingons in the area?"
"Yup"
"Ok let them know and let's move on" and scene.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
5,034 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
But this is Star Trek. If everything was that easy the episodes would be like five minutes long.
"Yo Picard we got a distress signal"
"Any Klingons in the area?"
"Yup"
"Ok let them know and let's move on" and scene.
But then it turns out that the Klingons that were contacted were old enemies of Picard, but there's one really hot chick who likes Picard and she ends up challenging the Klingon captain to a battle. She wins and by respect convinces the crew to come clean. She is then shot by the Klingon second in command who was close to the former captain.

bum, bum-bum-bum, bum-bum-bum! bum-bum-bum-bum, Bum, Bum, Bum!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,568 posts
View Stats

And then Picard goes back in time to prevent this dire future only to relive his own near death experience at the hands of a suspiciously klingon looking fellow.

But then he remembers that he got a super cool new artificial heart and he goes on to command the best ship in the fleet complete with his own man servant android.

Obviously this makes Picard pretty happy.

And they all live happily ever after.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
5,034 posts
View Stats

You were supposed to say "Previously, on Star Trek...And now, for the conclusion".
Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,568 posts
View Stats

My narrations need no introductions or conclusions.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,299 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 75,069, Level: 61 Points: 75,069, Level: 61 Points: 75,069, Level: 61
Level up: 23%
Level up: 23%, 15,481 Points needed Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

You two should meet up some time.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,568 posts
View Stats

I don't understand. If you're gonna go out in public with those shirts why not get the right pants? Weirdos.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
5,034 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
You two should meet up some time.

I can see you've already done that with Sabby's shorter brother there.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Donor
1,143 posts
alohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats

Well I liked their little tale and can't wait for part 2. Also sorry about the gramer errors dudebro
Old 03-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,287 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 22,932, Level: 38 Points: 22,932, Level: 38 Points: 22,932, Level: 38
Level up: 26%
Level up: 26%, 1,718 Points needed Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

'You will buy das book and you will luff it!'
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
42 posts
zyborg is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 2
Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2
Level up: 60%
Level up: 60%, 20 Points needed Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I thought there was something interfering with communications, so that they couldn't contact the Klingons. Anyways, I'd divert a whole heck of a lot of power to the tractor beams and pull them in from a distance, if that's possible.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,568 posts
View Stats

Not to be a total geek but no that wouldn't be possible. Tractor beams are very localized.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,055 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 101,202, Level: 62 Points: 101,202, Level: 62 Points: 101,202, Level: 62
Level up: 53%
Level up: 53%, 9,548 Points needed Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Is there a correct answer in the game?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Donor
1,143 posts
View Stats

No sorry as JoeGrotowski said it's to find out how people handle a no win situation no matter what you chose you will lose. Also tractor beam is out of the question because there is to much interference in the area. As for communication after you receive and read the distress message communication is cut off your communication officer says it is due to solar flare or something like that

« I'm back | Tsunami »