Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
405 posts
Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 5,927, Level: 21 Points: 5,927, Level: 21 Points: 5,927, Level: 21
Level up: 26%
Level up: 26%, 523 Points needed Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Homebrew Channel

I wanna put it on my Wii but I'm scared I'll brick it, and I know it voids the warranty but I wanna ask you all, do you think it's worth the risk?

but I still fear bricking cos my friend bricked his PSP last month trying to homebrew.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Re: The Homebrew Channel

Think Cassidy has it, ask him.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 1,469 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

I can tell you everything I know later, I got a project due tonight.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
405 posts
Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
I can tell you everything I know later, I got a project due tonight.

Thanks Steven, good luck with your project
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Poster
386 posts
nikegirl2012 play's well with othersnikegirl2012 play's well with othersnikegirl2012 play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,615, Level: 12 Points: 1,615, Level: 12 Points: 1,615, Level: 12
Level up: 23%
Level up: 23%, 385 Points needed Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Now I'm interested too because I've been thinking about buying a Wii, actually I was going to buy it tomorrow...

Anyways, good luck with your project
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44 Points: 33,211, Level: 44
Level up: 51%
Level up: 51%, 739 Points needed Level up: 51% Level up: 51%

I was thinking about instaling it, but my Wii broke down and I can't use it.

Remove Pootis
Old 04-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,084 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 18,787 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I gave it serious thought but I read you can never update your Wii again. Also you have to update the Homebrew channel so that you can play some games.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
I gave it serious thought but I read you can never update your Wii again. Also you have to update the Homebrew channel so that you can play some games.
Yeah, but the homebrew channel probably releases updates, like the custom firmware on the PSP.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Okay, so I guess i really dont know too much now that I think of it. But I'm running the latest wii update, 4.2 I think and I can play all my games no problem. As far as bricking your wii, I think that is very rare, and the circumstances need to be just right for it to happen just do a little research, on what versions of homebrew and wii system updates arnt compatible.
And it's no like you cant update your wii ever again, just delete your homebrew channel before you do, then upgrade your homebew browser for the new compatibility requirements.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel]Homebrew Channel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Wikipedia says Nintendo has and will brick your Wii if they find out you are using a region hack. If they find out you are using the Homebrew channel they will void your warranty but can not legally brick you just for using the channel. If they know you are using it to pirate games (which I don't think they can know) then they can legally brick you.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
405 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Homebrew Channel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia says Nintendo has and will brick your Wii if they find out you are using a region hack. If they find out you are using the Homebrew channel they will void your warranty but can not legally brick you just for using the channel. If they know you are using it to pirate games (which I don't think they can know) then they can legally brick you.
Kong, if Nintendo bricks a person's Wii I think there would be lawsuits out the keister. I mean I know microsoft drops the banhammer on you if you mod a 360 but I don't think legally Nintendo can brick a Wii. Then again I don't believe anything Wikipedia says most of the time

I'm giving it thought and I may not download it, I love my Wii and my computer is still crappy so.... yeah.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,084 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
Okay, so I guess i really dont know too much now that I think of it.
Useless.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Useless.
Same as always.

Remove Pootis
Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
405 posts
View Stats

I decided not to put Homebrew on the Wii, sorry to waste your time guys but thanks anyhoo

Can I get this thread locked if possible?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,084 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
No.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

Quote:
No.
Same as always.

Comments

Remove Pootis
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
405 posts
View Stats

Quote:
No.
Thanks anyway
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,084 posts
View Stats

I'm still interested. Maybe Nikegirl is as well.

Where's TMT when you need him?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Most of the homebrew legal section on wiki isn't trustworthy. After the first paragraph it has no sources or citations. I bet it was some angry Wii owner who got his Wii banned for breaking the TOS.

When you buy the Wii it is yours but Nintendo can certainly block you from any online interaction(updates, multiplayer, ect) if they catch you using unauthorized software in their system(you bought it but they own the online service). This is exactly what Microsoft does with the 360, they do not brick the system since you can still play it offline all you want. I can't see Nintendo bricking a system and losing respect and sales, but I can see them screwing any online interaction you may want to use. Not worth the risk imo unless you really need those homebrew games at the risk of everything else.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
No.
There rarely is a need for a lock. If no one is ever interested again then no one will post so the lock is useless. If someone is interested in continuing the topic then locking is annoying and causes duplicate topics.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
View Stats

Okay I will be blunt: you are not going to brick your wii, do whatever you want to it and dont worry, its only happened like 3 times
kong on Bronies:

Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

But there still is the risk. Nintendo is actively trying to prevent this, they might get it right some day.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Poster
386 posts
nikegirl2012 play's well with othersnikegirl2012 play's well with othersnikegirl2012 play's well with others
View Stats

I'm still interested, my grandma owes me my birthday present and I had already decided to go with her today to buy it because the Wii's price recently dropped here in Mexico and Sam's Club has a 50dollar discount on it so I thought it was perfect. Specially because my mom wants the Wii fit and she owes me my birthday present as well. Since I won't have any cool games for a while, I really wanted to know how hard was it to put the Homebrew Channel, the risks, and if anyone has had any problems with it, etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Regular Poster
405 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
There rarely is a need for a lock. If no one is ever interested again then no one will post so the lock is useless. If someone is interested in continuing the topic then locking is annoying and causes duplicate topics.
Didn't figure it that way, my fault Kong
Old 04-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Poster
386 posts
View Stats

I have a Wii.

I won't connect it until I play, or at least see the beginning of Final Fantasy XIII, but I have I Wii. Oddly, I'm not that excited, I'm more excited that I'm going to finally play FFXIII. Anyways...

@Cassidy Did you install, put, whatever the homebrew channel on your own?