Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 940 USD (38%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported 100% by donations from users like you! We have zero ads and no membership fees.
Please help us stay free and growing.
All donations are used to improve the site. Current projects: adding GBA and N64 games and improving the emulators used to submit scores.
List of Donors Thank you.

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,086 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 96,229, Level: 62 Points: 96,229, Level: 62 Points: 96,229, Level: 62
Level up: 29%
Level up: 29%, 14,521 Points needed Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 71%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

+1 (+1/-0)     
Great sad songs

I got this idea from Alohexs topic about uplifting songs
http://retrouprising.com/other/chat/...you-up/t11411/

I like happy/uplifting songs but there's something about powerful sad songs really appeals to me. To be clear I don't mean emo whiny crap I mean songs with meaning and substance. Like this one-

I purposely linked the video with lyrics so people can see what the message is. I know he sings kinda weird and can be hard to understand.

Anyone who knows someone with a severe addiction problem will understand how real that song is. It's kinda hard for me to listen to because it brings up painful memories in my life but it's kinda cathartic at the same time. It always amazes me how strongly a song can affect me.

So let's see what you guys got. Personally I got plenty of songs to link but maybe you guys have some really good ones I've missed.

Comments

My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,682 posts
bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 26
Points: 10,359, Level: 26 Points: 10,359, Level: 26 Points: 10,359, Level: 26
Level up: 68%
Level up: 68%, 291 Points needed Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

+4 (+4/-0)     
Re: Great sad songs

Comments

Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,086 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Oh lordy I can't even watch that video. Seeing Johnny Cash crying about his recently dead wife is just tragic.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
Game Mod
2,579 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 10,420, Level: 26 Points: 10,420, Level: 26 Points: 10,420, Level: 26
Level up: 75%
Level up: 75%, 230 Points needed Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Activity: 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

[LEFT]
[CENTER]Tecmo Super Bowl- Wrecking havoc since 1989

Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,626 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 96,982, Level: 62 Points: 96,982, Level: 62 Points: 96,982, Level: 62
Level up: 32%
Level up: 32%, 13,768 Points needed Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,086 posts
View Stats

@Tails- Your choice loses it's power by being sung by the chipmunks. You should've posted a real version.

@SFF- you sure have strange taste for someone as young as you are. Never heard of him or the song but it's pretty good.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Game Mod
6,332 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,792, Level: 41 Points: 28,792, Level: 41 Points: 28,792, Level: 41
Level up: 39%
Level up: 39%, 858 Points needed Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

+1 (+1/-0)     

@Dudebro- +1 for the topic idea. I like it
@Bearhawk- +1, that song is great and so is Johnny Cash. It's a truly emotional song.

I love this song so much. Led Zeppelin is amazing

Comments

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
Game Mod
2,579 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 10,420, Level: 26 Points: 10,420, Level: 26 Points: 10,420, Level: 26
Level up: 75%
Level up: 75%, 230 Points needed Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Activity: 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

I was raised on old music. Naturally i'd have weird tastes at a young age. Also not sure what all constitutes as a sad song.

[LEFT]
[CENTER]Tecmo Super Bowl- Wrecking havoc since 1989

Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,086 posts
View Stats

@SFF- A song being sad is all opinion really. Some people may cry at one song and another will be unmoved. I want you guys to post songs that make you sad or at least makes you reflect on the hard times in your lives, that kind of thing.

So far all the videos posted seem to be good. I gave Tails a little crap about his choice of artist but I still can see what he means about the song itself.

This is another one that hits me kinda hard. It's also about someone spiraling out of control and how it effects the people around them. It gives me goosebumps and I'm not afraid to admit that. It's pretty raw imo.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,156 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 104,986, Level: 62 Points: 104,986, Level: 62 Points: 104,986, Level: 62
Level up: 72%
Level up: 72%, 5,764 Points needed Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

+2 (+2/-0)     

I was going to post Johnny Cash's Hurt but since I Bear beat me to it I will post the inferior original

Do you know where that song is from
( Click to show/hide )

Donnie Darko

A more interesting video in the spoiler but it doesn't contain the last verse and the video is distracting.
( Click to show/hide )

Warning: This next one is a very sad song. I put it in spoiler tags because I don't see a point in listening to a song this sad, but I used to when I was a teenager so here you go.
( Click to show/hide )

Do you recognize where it is from?
( Click to show/hide )

M.A.S.H.

Comments

Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,086 posts
View Stats

@Kong- I appreciate the effort but you gotta slow down so you don't saturate us and have some good songs get lost in the shuffle.

I was waiting to post Mad World because it's so damn good. I don't think the NIN version of hurt is inferior, it's just different. Johnny Cash liked it so it must be somewhat good.

Suicide is Painless is a pretty great song. I bet most young people only know it as the Mash theme though.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
FgtKng
Donor
Administrator
12,597 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 79,412, Level: 61 Points: 79,412, Level: 61 Points: 79,412, Level: 61
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 11,138 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 49%
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

There's a whole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,040 posts
Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,348, Level: 41 Points: 28,348, Level: 41 Points: 28,348, Level: 41
Level up: 7%
Level up: 7%, 1,302 Points needed Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhawk72 View Post
This was the one I was going to post.

This song is sad if you watch the video:

Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,626 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 96,982, Level: 62 Points: 96,982, Level: 62 Points: 96,982, Level: 62
Level up: 32%
Level up: 32%, 13,768 Points needed Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

@DB: I heard that song in the chipmunks movie first.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Donor
1,143 posts
alohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 5,538, Level: 20 Points: 5,538, Level: 20 Points: 5,538, Level: 20
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 212 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I got this idea from Alohexs topic about uplifting songs
http://retrouprising.com/other/chat/...you-up/t11411/
I'm honored that I gave you an idea
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,086 posts
View Stats

You honor me by saying you're honored by me.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Donor
1,143 posts
alohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their headalohaex has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 20
Points: 5,538, Level: 20 Points: 5,538, Level: 20 Points: 5,538, Level: 20
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 212 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Infinite Spark
1,081 posts
warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 12,240, Level: 28 Points: 12,240, Level: 28 Points: 12,240, Level: 28
Level up: 77%
Level up: 77%, 210 Points needed Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

cemetery gates
Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,446 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 24,649, Level: 38 Points: 24,649, Level: 38 Points: 24,649, Level: 38
Level up: 99%
Level up: 99%, 1 Points needed Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 53%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Great thread idea DB, but I want to ask {seriously, and I'm not being a smartass} what you meant by:
Quote:
To be clear I don't mean emo whiny crap
Would that be something like those Country/Western songs from the 1970's where the guy is crying into his 'Bud' about how his wife left him and stuff?

Anyhow, I know exactly what you mean about how some songs, their chords and key combined with some heart felt words really can bring a tear to your eye, especially when memories are triggered as well.
I don't know if that was the intent of the artists to begin with but I'm sure we all know at least a few songs like that.
For example, the chorus on this one always chokes me up:

'Our interest lies in stopping those who would see all good falter. . . . it lies in stopping the powers of misrule from coming of age!'
Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,086 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG and me
what you meant by.... emo whiny crap
It's really just opinion but there is a style of music that people refer to as emo. I couldn't tell you what it means exactly or clearly define it but the stuff I've heard referred to as emo is usually whiny crap. If someone really posted something I thought was whiny emo crap I wouldn't get mad or anything. It's just me guiding people in a direction I prefer.

Since you mention it lets try to avoid those "tear in my beer" type of songs too. I doubt there's many country fans on RU atm and I'm not too keen on much of it.

But let's give it a whirl anyways. There's some good sad songs from old country stuff. Let's shoot for the cream of the crop.

Oddly enough I don't really like Tear in my Beer(also by Hank Williams Sr). It's more of a drunk song than an emotional song imo. I guess that's sad in a way though.

Edit- for some reason I just can't get into Rush.

Last edited by Dudebro; 06-07-2011 at 04:16 AM..
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,446 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 24,649, Level: 38 Points: 24,649, Level: 38 Points: 24,649, Level: 38
Level up: 99%
Level up: 99%, 1 Points needed Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 53%
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

+1 (+1/-0)     

DB:
Quote:
Edit- for some reason I just can't get into Rush.
RUSH does have an unusual style and also Geddy's voice doesn't exactly do it for me either but they are what they are.

And just to show that even Vikings have emotions {I think}, this one always smacked of sadness to me, even though the song is actually about them returning to Norway after years of plunder at sea:

Comments

'Our interest lies in stopping those who would see all good falter. . . . it lies in stopping the powers of misrule from coming of age!'
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
The Infinite Spark
1,081 posts
warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 12,240, Level: 28 Points: 12,240, Level: 28 Points: 12,240, Level: 28
Level up: 77%
Level up: 77%, 210 Points needed Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

+1 JG I have'nt heard that one in awhile.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #23 (permalink)
Donor
2,798 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 35
Points: 18,777, Level: 35 Points: 18,777, Level: 35 Points: 18,777, Level: 35
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 1,173 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Old 06-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
25,086 posts
View Stats

Damn Tears in Heaven is another song that's just hard to listen to. For anyone who doesn't know he wrote it after the death of his four year old son after he pushed out a window and fell 50 stories to his death.