Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

+7 (+7/-0)     
Gaming

Some of those who have spoken to me at some length may already know that I lost my father to Prostate Cancer this October. As of today, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer. Among the obvious internal and external emotional conflicts, this latest news has led me to a lot retrospectives these last few weeks as my family and I have waited for official prognosis. One of the larger excursions into dredging up past memories was how video games helped create fond childhood memories that I will always carry with me.

Gaming in my family started with the ColecoVision. Coleco had a giant manufacturing plant in my town back in the early 80's as did Universal Studios (MCA at the time). Given such convenient locational conditions, most of my friends and I had ColecoVisions. This was no Atari town! Also, like most of my friends, my Coleco collection was both extensive and pilfered from the manufacturing plant by relatives who worked there.

The Coleco stayed at my grandparent's house, where I spent the majority of my childhood surrounded by streets filled with children around my relative age. My grandfather, who was newly retired at the time the Coleco emerged was the biggest Coleco addict in the family, especially when it came to LadyBug. I remember just staying in bed late at night, listening to the sounds of him playing LadyBug until 2 or 3 in the morning, smoking his BelAir cigarettes and drinking Gennessee with a sprinkle of salt. Certainly he would play other games when the mood struck him but LadyBug was his thing. The man would sit there and loops the score multiple times in one sitting.

My mother's favorite Coleco game on the other hand was Cabbage Patch Kids Adventure in the Park. A great little arcade-platformer that holds a lot of warm childhood memories for me. Trying my best to compete against her and my aunt, everyone laughing and the competition was always playful and friendly. I have long since forgotten the patterns and timings of the game but what I'll never forget is this extra connection with my mother that the game provided me. Both my mother and I were enjoying the same thing, not just the game but the competition between one another. It wasn't one of those moments where a parent or a child engages in an activity because the other wanted to. We both thoroughly enjoyed the game as well as spending time together. It's a very enriching memory for me.

My father was much more strict and tended to have little patience for such things. Only twice in his life was he lured by such flippancies as video games. During my time with the NES one of the games that I had rented was Adventures of Lolo. For some reason I still can not fathom, watching me play the game had caught my father's attention and he became enamored with the game for a time. We would sit there together, share and compare strategies for the different levels and bounce ideas off one another. That was until we got to one stage. I don't remember which stage it was but it simply had the both of us stumped for a few days. Nothing either of us tried had worked and it became a point of frustration.

That was until one day I woke up to hear my father playing that stage over and over again in my room. I simply laid there with my eyes closed, listening to the sounds of the game and running over that stage in my head which had been burned into my brain. After a few minutes and a few choice words from my father it came to me. The solution which we seeked. I through off the sheets and jumped out of my bunk bed and dashed towards the controller, much to my father's surprise.Snatching the controller from him I quickly executed my perfect plan while explaining everything to my father and sweet success was had. This must have wounded my old man's pride some as after that he had never returned for the final few stages, something I didn't realize at the time.

The one other time a videogame had grabbed his attention was Hal's Hole-In-One Golf for the Super Nintendo. Golf was one of the few sports my father engaged in and had a passion for. I'm certain the fact that I had taken a liking to the sport along with some of his other choice activities such as chess was a point of pride in my old man. While the old man could easily best me in the actual sport with his numerous years of experience and practice, a golf video game was a whole different story. We were on even ground. Our battles would constantly sway back and forth until we were both averaging 18 under par on any course.

The point that I'm trying to make out of all of this is that growing up video games played a large role in creating childhood memories that I don't think I could ever forget. Spending time with my family with an activity I loved with it's friendly back-and-forth competition is a fond highlight of my childhood. It's something that I look forward to continuing with my own son as I watch him grow up and his taste in games is heavily affected by the types of games that I play and introduce him to.

I hope that during this season of family, friendship, sharing and giving, good will unto men that we all remember not just that we are gamers but why we are gamers. Take some time to reflect back on your life and remember why you enjoyed this hobby in the first place. I'm certain for most of us it's not actually the competition of the challenge of the game but the camaraderie and community that gaming brought together. Gaming is a very wonderful hobby after all...

Thanks for reading such a long winded recollection and as much as your condolences and well wishes are appreciated, what would help me most during this time of my life is to hear about your childhood memories of gaming, how it drew you closer to friends or family and in this time of media blitz and focus on the "evils of gaming" the good things that can come out of the hobby.

May you and yours have a safe and happy holidays,
~Jer

Comments

Beautiful.

dem feels

Wonderful post.

Ownd your old man on Lolo Adventure

great read

Possibly the post of the year. Thanks for the story Tenser, and best wishes for your family!

respect
Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,725 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43 Points: 31,106, Level: 43
Level up: 4%
Level up: 4%, 1,344 Points needed Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

+1 (+1/-0)     
Re: Gaming

First of all, I'd like to say I'm sorry about your father and mother. Cancer is a terrible thing that has personally effected my family and pretty much every family out there. I wish your mother all the luck in her battle against cancer.

One of my best gaming experiences has to be from Mario Party. When I first got it, I was probably 6 or 7 years old and I played it constantly with my brother and three cousins. We would have a blast playing this game, while also getting angry with each other as is customary of playing Mario Party lol. Anyway, I also played the Story Mode with my brother. We could never get passed two specific levels that required you to spin the control pad really quickly. One of them was a boat game and the other was the Tug of War game. We would try so many times but would always fail and be on the verge of tears. No matter how many times we would get hurt, even start to bleed from trying to spin it so fast, we just couldn't do it. So my father came to calm us down and beat it for us. Everytime my brother or I would play that game, we would let our dad do it for us, because we couldn't. It's just one of those things that I'll always remember about gaming since it was one of my first experiences with games.

Comments

That damn game ruined nearly as many palms as Playboy did.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 12-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kuma Shock
2,238 posts
Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 46
Points: 35,623, Level: 46 Points: 35,623, Level: 46 Points: 35,623, Level: 46
Level up: 12%
Level up: 12%, 1,327 Points needed Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

sorry for your lose ten, gaming has always bought my family closer together
Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,648 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 103,897, Level: 62 Points: 103,897, Level: 62 Points: 103,897, Level: 62
Level up: 67%
Level up: 67%, 6,853 Points needed Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Tenser - I'm extremely sorry for your loss, I'm also sorry about your mother's breast cancer, may she pull through.

For me, gaming was usually a 'me' thing, but few stuff I played with my mother was stuff like Mario bros 1, Double Dragon 2, Mario Kart and other things. She introduced me to games starting with Mario Bros 3 when I was 2. She now tries to still play games but doesn't honestly understand them. A recent example is her learning Tecmo Bowl.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
6,654 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

+1 (+1/-0)     

I lost my Grandma on Thanksgiving due to breast cancer. Well actually the radiation therapy was what got her. So I can feel where you're coming from. A loss in the family is always a pain. But I think we should all chose to celebrate our dearly departed's life and the memories they gifted us with. It usually makes it easier to accept our loss. Us Mexicans love getting drunk right after a burial and tell stories about our fallen kin.

I think we all understand how gaming makes you a part of a community. That's why RU is so great and we all seem to bond in one way or another. We even argue like if we were family sometimes including Daddy Tenser (yes, he is your daddy) come in and break up the fight with his trusty
( Click to show/hide )
. Big Papa Kong lets his boy toy Tenser do all the punishing. So I guess that makes Kong the woman in the relationship...

Anyways, I enjoy playing games with my kid. Usually Kirby or Mario games, but we also play board games together. Reading this post by Tenser makes me realize that my kid will remember our time playing together when he's a grown ass man. It's a good feeling to know this. Thanks Tenser. And I hope that your Mother is able to beat the cancer. Talk to her about Cabbage Patch Kids game. That should cheer her up.

Comments

Kong and I have a special relationship.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

My mom just battled through breast cancer a few years ago, the treatment was horrible, she lost her hair and was very weak during the treatment. It was very hard on everyone, so I can only imagine what it was like for her. Fortunately, breast cancer treatment has come a long way, and it's a far cry from the death sentence it was years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your father Tenser, that's tough. I lost my own dad January 4th, 2000, I'm never going to forget that date. My condolences to you and your family.

Neither of my parents played vidya, so all my memories are centered around friends and my brother, they were not all fond, but I cherish them none the less.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
2,067 posts
TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 24
Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24
Level up: 52%
Level up: 52%, 390 Points needed Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Like most of you I lost an Uncle to stage 4 cancer. My dad had Stage 1 or 2 cancer but is going strong as he had his prostate removed.

Associating memories with happiness is always the best memory to recall. I remember being natural at video games and i sure wish i could recapture those emotions when we first got our Nintendo Entertainment System in 86 or 87. I can remember being 5 or 6 and on the last stage of Mario Brothers and my older brother chanting, die die die...and i died...then i cried.

There were a lot of memories i had with gaming between my cousin and my brother. Probably the biggest memory i can recall was the tournament system we created for Super Dodgeball. Being so young and naive, it was just a whole new world you engulfed yourself in. Then life happens and things no longer seem so "big."

Stay strong Tenser.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Every day after school, my sister would make my supper and ask if I wanted to "play 2p" on mario bros... so I guess thats a moment for me.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

+1 (+1/-0)     

I think almost everyone in my family plays video games of some kind, console or PC.

My parents both like to play video games {MS Solitaire, and 'Bejeweled'}

I think it's great that my parents can even face a computer at all; many people of their generation shun computers, mostly out of fear = something I experienced myself.
I wouldn't even touch a computer until around '96 sometime, thinking if I pressed the wrong key it would self - destruct, but I'm getting off topic here.

My parents bought me an Atari 2600, and at that time, it was magic to me.
Even before then I enjoyed playing whatever Coin-Op games I could, no matter how bad I was {and still am, mostly}.
I was hooked from the start and bought this console and that, but mostly I remember playing Nintendo NES RPG's with their simple yet addictive style, clever writing, and memorable characters during the late 80's.

Years later I got a Super Nintendo , then a Nintendo 64 (Buggy) which led to many contests between family members.
Occasionally I would be called upon to do the 'difficult' jumping parts in games, or perhaps to take over during a difficult boss battle - and there's a special feeling when you actually pull it off!

Let me finish by saying that I find Gaming very therapeutic and I think it does a person good, and as Ten pointed out it can bring people together in friendly competition.

Games make you think, stimulate imagination, improve hand/ eye coordination, can be educational and enlightening, and let us step outside ourselves and interact with objects in environments literally spawned of imagination itself.

Comments

Great points
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Donor
2,690 posts
sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!sabby has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 32
Points: 15,555, Level: 32 Points: 15,555, Level: 32 Points: 15,555, Level: 32
Level up: 10%
Level up: 10%, 995 Points needed Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

First of all, you know if you need anything J, you know how to find me.

As for some of my video game memories, here are some of the ones I have:

It was Christmas time in the early 80's. My grandparents gave our family an IntelliVision gaming console. I had played Atari before, but this was the new competitor to Atari. The controller was akward at first, I jokingly at times raised it to my ear and pretended it was a telephone. But I would get used to it and play the games often. The next morning we got Baseball (my favorite sport) and I was excited. I asked my dad if he would play against me in a game, he gladly accepted. Back and forth the score went, we weren't used to the controls, so a defensive game, this was not. We get to the bottom of the ninth inning. I'm up 98-95 (like I said, not a defensive battle) and my dad managed to load the bases. My hands were shaking as I tried to blow a fast ball by him. He made contact and the ball went down the right field foul line, the only way to get it was going to be with my first baseman and I went to select him, but it was too late. My only chance would be if the ball bounced off the wall. I went to try and prepare for the bounce with my outfielder but there was no bounce, A WALK OFF GRAND SLAM!!! My dad ran victory laps around the coffee table as he was victorious, I, holding back tears, was already planning a rematch strategy.

Now, as a father, my gaming has been altered a little bit. My two daughters enjoy the Just Dance Series, so I play with them and talk a little trash when I can (both are on competitive dance teams). They also like watching me play. Every now and then I get a "Daddy, play Zelda" or "Do you want to play Mario Kart?" We also got hooked on a Minecraft clone on our cell phones called "The Blockheads" We share building ideas, what is attacking us and how we get things to work. It has limited building ideas, but we have fun with it.

Take care big T, we're always here for ya.
The List of 111 games I've beaten on RU.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60
Level up: 25%
Level up: 25%, 7,624 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

+3 (+3/-0)     

I don't know when I was first exposed to games, because I was playing before I even started remembering things.
Despite us being very poor at the time, my parents somehow managed to afford a Super Nintendo Entertainment System for Christmas when I was three years old.
( Click to show/hide )

I'll never know what game I played first, but it was very most likely Super Mario World or Super Mario Kart, since those are the games I remember having at the time and getting very frustrated about (Butter Bridge is still not forgiven).

At the time I was an only child, and when my brother was born he was too young to play with me, so I played alone most of the time. The first time I can remember playing a video game with someone else was when my mother rented The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past from Blockbuster (RIP). Being 4 years old at the time, the game was waaaaaaaaaay beyond me, but playing with my mother (my mom did most of the work) we somehow made it to the Dark World, I remember thinking the talking trees were strange.

We only ever had a few games at home at that time. Most of the time gaming was when we went on trips to visit the extended family, who always had many more games than we did.
At the family house in Puerto Rico my grandmother had a NES and many games for it. I hounded one of my uncles to play Twin Eagle with me every day when he came home from work one summer. We never beat it, I think the farthest we got to before running out of continues was level 4. My mother really liked Super Mario Bros. 2 -- although she called (and still calls) it the "vegetable game" for obvious reasons. My grandmother spent all her days playing Tetris 2 on the NES, occasionally putting a beating on me in the multiplayer mode. My cousins and I played the mostly mediocre library, but not having much of any standards of quality for games we had fun. Notable experiences were on Bad Dudes and TECMO WORLD WRESTLING (god I loved that game). I was very saddened when my grandmother sold off the ENTIRE GAME COLLECTION when I wasn't there, getting rid of everything EXCEPT Tetris 2, which she eventually gave to me. I'll never give it up.
( Click to show/hide )

My cousins in Florida had a NES and a Sega Genesis, and eventually a Playstation. In the early days Duck Hunt and all 3 NES Super Mario Bros. games ruled the roost, then we moved onto Sonic games (yes, shame shame on us) -- 1, 2, 3, Spinball. Sonic 3 used to be so difficult....I will never forget finally solving the barrel puzzle on Carnival Night Zone Act 2 the hard way (jumping up and down with the second player). Icecap Zone was so awesome when we arrived the first time (dat soundtrack). It was epic finally beating the game, with no lives, no continues remaining, and with 9:59 on the timer (you die at 10:00)! When they got their Playstation, pretty much all we did was play collectathon games (Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape). One time I brought my Nintendo 64 down there in secret. I was scolded for "caring more about playing video games than interacting with family" by my parents. It was worth it. You can look at the pics and judge me...
( Click to show/hide )

Lots of memories on the N64...some stupid (brother and I fighting and erasing each other's save files in games as "revenge" for silly arguments), mostly good though, endless multiplayer games on that thing. My mother and I worked hard to power through Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and later Majora's Mask (remake plz Nintendo). At the time I was very scared of the angry moon in that game and my mom would always push the game timer near zero just to get a reaction from me D:.

Here's Seahawk and bro posing with the new Gamecube 12/25/2001.
( Click to show/hide )

Ever since those times we have progressively gamed less together as our lives fill with responsibilities and we separate and see each other less and less. Lately I've been trying to get in as much time as I can with him during this holiday season, as it may be the very last one we can spend together (he'll be going abroad soon for school). He's standing by as a second opinion while I struggle through La Mulana (PLAY IT), noticing things I don't.

My reply is kind of late in the holiday season, but please do cherish the times you spend with other people in gaming, and don't fall into the hateful muck and vitriol the internet brings to game discussion. The time will pass sooner than you think.

I'll leave with this....it's the song A from multiplayer mode on Tetris 2, burned into my memory permanently from many sessions with my grandmother. Recorded from an actual NES using the cartridge above. Video cable was disconnected to prevent interference.

Comments

nice

wonderful

Great post, glad I finally got around to reading it
Old 12-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62

Tl;dr

Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,171 posts
Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Seahawk has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60 Points: 62,826, Level: 60
Level up: 25%
Level up: 25%, 7,624 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

That's what I deserve for writing a big post on this forum I suppose.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

Welcome to RU.

Comments

Ha ha ha, too true I suppose

Old 01-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kuma Shock
2,238 posts
Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Wolf has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 46
Points: 35,623, Level: 46 Points: 35,623, Level: 46 Points: 35,623, Level: 46
Level up: 12%
Level up: 12%, 1,327 Points needed Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

+2 (+2/-0)     

for most of you that know me i joined this site back in 2008 as wolfman24. I was not an active member in community at the time only playing games here and there, and not playing for the scores. Then I disappeared from retrouprising because of being in high school, sports, and a lot of xbox live.

In late 2009 I was out of school and was working and then I took another job for it being closer to home. I worked at the job for about a month before they laid me off I guess cause my temp work was done even though they said I was going to be there for 3 months. So I was unemployed with no money cause i spend it all buying a car to get to work, and was very depressed. I was staying up to 5 to 6 am and sleeping to 4 pm, and repeated that for a while.

I was feeling bored one day and decided to hop on here the one day and saw that there was a team contest going on soon team marathon II, me loving to play games figured this would be a way to get over being depressed so i asked around if there was opening. There was only one opening with vicious breed so i asked the captain(stevencassidy) of the team if i could join, he asked me to prove if i was any good. Next thing i know the contest started and I was enjoying myself and forgot about being depressed, was actually talking to people, and feeling like I was accomplish something. To tell the truth I don't know what would have happened to me without retrouprising and gaming thanks guys.

Comments

Site would not be the same without you.

love this post.

Last edited by Wolf; 01-04-2014 at 09:21 PM..