Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 670 USD (27%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported 100% by donations from users like you! We have zero ads and no membership fees.
Please help us stay free and growing.
All donations are used to improve the site. Current projects: adding GBA and N64 games and improving the emulators used to submit scores.
List of Donors Thank you.

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
196 posts
Thunderlips is kissing everybody's bum just rightThunderlips is kissing everybody's bum just rightThunderlips is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 17
Points: 3,772, Level: 17 Points: 3,772, Level: 17 Points: 3,772, Level: 17
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 78 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Game related Christmas Story Thread

Yes its December, here's a thread for your game related christmas memories. It might be the first game or console you recieved for Christmas or a game you played nonstop through boxing day.

One Christmas in the mid- 80's young Elrod21 had asked Santa for Xevious for NES. On an evening shortly before Christmas, Elrods parents went out for the evening. Elrod noticed one of the presents under the tree had a distinctive shape he had seen before. Would he actually peak just to make sure it was what he had asked for? Whats the harm in a small tear. Sure enough Xevious was the contents of the gift. Well......his parents were going to be gone a few hours....hmmmm...... He wouldn't!!!!!

Elrod opened the game, plugged it in, played it until he finished it and had it re-wrapped under the tree in time for mom and dads arrival. Watching him pretend to be excited opening it on Christmas morning was something I'll never forget.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,740 posts
elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 11,425, Level: 27 Points: 11,425, Level: 27 Points: 11,425, Level: 27
Level up: 87%
Level up: 87%, 125 Points needed Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Re: Game related Christmas Story Thread

Hey what are you trying to do Thunderlips? Well I guess Mom and Dad won't be joining the site anytime soon.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
6,748 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,086, Level: 44 Points: 33,086, Level: 44 Points: 33,086, Level: 44
Level up: 43%
Level up: 43%, 864 Points needed Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Nice little story there Thunderlips. Elrod! HOW COULD YOU!?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
6,023 posts
Winnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the darkWinnebagel glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 77,095, Level: 61 Points: 77,095, Level: 61 Points: 77,095, Level: 61
Level up: 34%
Level up: 34%, 13,455 Points needed Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

+1 (+1/-0)     

Thunderlips, I think I found the video of what happened between you two just after Elrod beat Xevious.

( Click to show/hide )

Am I right? The surprising thing to me was that I didn't realize that Elrod has,
( Click to show/hide )
green hair!!!

Comments

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,356 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 76,105, Level: 61 Points: 76,105, Level: 61 Points: 76,105, Level: 61
Level up: 29%
Level up: 29%, 14,445 Points needed Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I remember getting NBA JAM for the SNES for christmas from my grandmother. When I opened it up I found out to my horror that someone had already bought the game, took out the cart and replaced it with baseball cards, repackaged it and returned it to the store.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,740 posts
elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Tenser that sucks!!

Was she at least able to take it back to get you a new one?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,356 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

She said she returned it to the store and got a new one the next day. Later on in my years I've realized that the store most likely would not have taken it back and she must have bought me a second one. It's too bad that I never got the chance to properly thank her and my grandfather for all they did for me when I was a kid.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
Game Mod
2,465 posts
StarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 26
Points: 9,916, Level: 26 Points: 9,916, Level: 26 Points: 9,916, Level: 26
Level up: 19%
Level up: 19%, 734 Points needed Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

I remember one year when my parents got the Sega Genesis for christmas. Every christmas since then they would add on to the collection. now we no longer have it, which disappoints me
[LEFT]
[CENTER]Tecmo Super Bowl- Wrecking havoc since 1989

Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
6,748 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
She said she returned it to the store and got a new one the next day. Later on in my years I've realized that the store most likely would not have taken it back and she must have bought me a second one. It's too bad that I never got the chance to properly thank her and my grandfather for all they did for me when I was a kid.
I'm sure the joy they brought you was worth having to buy that game all over again.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
10,253 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 56
Points: 53,726, Level: 56 Points: 53,726, Level: 56 Points: 53,726, Level: 56
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 724 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Elrod you had balls.

I've told this one before but whatever:

All I wanted for christmas was Zelda 2: The adventures of Link, so before christmas I had been eyeballing that familiar shaped box, then I got to thinking... "Wait.. what if it's not Link, and instead another game..?" Eventually I snapped, I needed to take a peek, so I gently tore back the paper a bit looking for that gold box... Low and behold it was gold!!! Finally christmas arrives and I rip into the present only to find:
( Click to show/hide )

I wasn't happy.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,740 posts
View Stats

What a burn Steven. See my technique was the best.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,577 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 95,543, Level: 62 Points: 95,543, Level: 62 Points: 95,543, Level: 62
Level up: 25%
Level up: 25%, 15,207 Points needed Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

I remember asking for Mega Man X 2 for Christmas one year and opening stuff Christmas morning I got Mega Man 2 and I was disappointed. It did introduce me to original Megaman so that was good.

Remember when Pokemon was in full swing and I wanted Pokemon Blue. One year my Dad actually got something. got Pokemon cards and then.. Pokemon Red and my brother got Blue. We traded and he returned Red since I already had it.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
6,748 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
Elrod you had balls.

( Click to show/hide )

I wasn't happy.
I'm sorry but this made me laugh a bit.

I remember when my brothers and I had been bugging our parents for the NES for years. I thought we would never get it. But then, one night, I heard a sound coming from my older brother's room. I could hear the bed creaking and so I took a quick peak from a crack between the door and the wall. What I saw got me so excited. That's right! I saw my brother playing on an NES! The sneaky bastard was playing OUR NES two weeks before Christmas and never told me! But it's ok. I found out where my parents were hiding it. I started playing it while making sure my parents nor my brothers found out. On Christmas Day, we opened our NES and could finally play it out in the open without fear of being caught.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,577 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Does preach know that and is he said brother?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
6,748 posts
View Stats

I don't recall if he knew about it, but I know I didn't tell him about it since I thought he might blow my cover. And no, Preach is not the eldest. He's the youngest of three.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,577 posts
View Stats

So you're the Jan Brady?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
6,748 posts
View Stats

Not at all.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,577 posts
View Stats

You're not the middle child?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
6,748 posts
View Stats

Yes I am, but I do not whine about it. I actually like being left alone most of the time.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
Game Mod
2,465 posts
StarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the darkStarfoxFan2009 glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 26
Points: 9,916, Level: 26 Points: 9,916, Level: 26 Points: 9,916, Level: 26
Level up: 19%
Level up: 19%, 734 Points needed Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

about a few years back I received a bunch of N64 games including Goldeneye. It's still around here somewhere
Old 12-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,294 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,045, Level: 38 Points: 23,045, Level: 38 Points: 23,045, Level: 38
Level up: 31%
Level up: 31%, 1,605 Points needed Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

I got Atari 2600 games for a few years there {like maybe one or two per year} and was really exited to have them.
This was way back in the 80's.

My favorites were Yars' Revenge:
Yars Revenge Atari 2600
Berserk:
Berzerk Atari 2600
and Space Invaders:
Space Invaders Atari 2600
My shields can't repel BS of this magnitude!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,356 posts
View Stats

Space Invaders was an atrocity.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,294 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,045, Level: 38 Points: 23,045, Level: 38 Points: 23,045, Level: 38
Level up: 31%
Level up: 31%, 1,605 Points needed Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Tenser:
Quote:
Space Invaders was an atrocity.
No, Atari 2600 version of Pac Man was the real abomination.

I believe I've said before how I felt bad that my parents had spent their hard - earned money to buy it for me.
{you know it's gotta be bad when a kid starts thinking of it in financial terms}
Pac Man Atari 2600

I don't think anything conjured up such feelings of disappointment in me during my entire life.
This is it, the biggest let - down there ever was: Atari 2600 Pac Man.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,740 posts
View Stats

Space Invaders was OK. Me and my friends used to play it for hours two players.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Regular Poster
10,253 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 56
Points: 53,726, Level: 56 Points: 53,726, Level: 56 Points: 53,726, Level: 56
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 724 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

I agree with Ten, in fact I find space invaders to be highly over-rated, despite it's impact historically. The game was just too slow, that coupled with the limit of one on screen shot at a time made it a chore to play.